Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Westside Gym in Dublin is going to defy the restrictions. More detail in the instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGkmte9A5Kv/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Westside Gym in Dublin is going to defy the restrictions. More detail in the instagram post.

Fair play but it will last a few hours and that'll be it. Unless other business rally together its futile sadly.

The gym will be sorely missed, it was one thing keep many of us afloat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Fair play to them but unfortunately with the upcoming fines anyone in a gym will be an easy target for the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Fair play to them. Gyms should be on the essential list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Fair play to them and as of now there are no fines!
    I mean they are allowing greyhound abuse i mean racing to take place but not health and fitness in a controlled environment???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

faceman wrote: »
    Fair play but it will last a few hours and that'll be it. Unless other business rally together its futile sadly.

The gym will be "sorely missed", it was one thing keep many of us afloat

Have you tried an Epsom salts bath?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm surprised to see a lot of you say "fair play to them". I'm not in favour of the extent of restrictions, but if we start a trend of people fighting back against them then who knows what it will lead to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It seems a gym in Dublin 15 is saying they won’t be closing, according to a post they made on Instagram.

This will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

I missed my gym slot this morning as the bus came 5 mins early. Oh well, it's been a disappointing year as it it.

My plan for the next 6 weeks:

Run three times a week,
    Push-ups, goblet squats with my 24kg kettlebell, One arm row with kettlebell, crunch/situps.

Can't really think of anything else, might pickup a 10kg kettlebell and do some arm and shoulder work?

VonLuck wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see a lot of you say "fair play to them". I'm not in favour of the extent of restrictions, but if we start a trend of people fighting back against them then who knows what it will lead to.

Indeed, smell of yellow vest brigade off it. It's because of gnomes not following restrictions that we are at level 5 ............. following in their footsteps helps no one.

Looks like an economic decision rather than a mental health one "We would not be in a position to freeze memberships again for a second time.
    Therefore, the show must go on." .......... regardless the show won't be going on for long.
    Putting members in a bad spot really, they can't attend the gym (if they follow guidelines) but the gym are staying open and not freezing their memberships......... the lad seems a total tw@t IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Pointless PR stunt. They'll be closed within a few hours of opening tomorrow and they know it.

The cynic in me says it's a ploy to get their name out there for more customers once they do reopen.

Pointless PR stunt. They'll be closed within a few hours of opening tomorrow and they know it.

Hopefully they'll be in a position to freeze memberships tomorrow, they claim that's the issue also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Kamu wrote: »
    I missed my gym slot this morning as the bus came 5 mins early. Oh well, it's been a disappointing year as it it.

Run three times a week,
    Push-ups, goblet squats with my 24kg kettlebell, One arm row with kettlebell, crunch/situps.

Can't really think of anything else, might pickup a 10kg kettlebell and do some arm and shoulder work?

There was one push-up variation I did back in April , a towel push-up, you just need some kind smooth surface. An absolute killer

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Kamu wrote: »

Run three times a week,

If you can get something like two books the same thickness to put your hands on for push ups, then you can get a greater range of motion, i.e. go lower than normal. Same idea as using push-up handles. You can use tempo and longer pauses at the bottom to make it harder. There's a few different variations you can cycle through along with just increasing reps on straight push ups.

Lunges and Bulgarian split squats with the kettlebell. Single leg work is great.

Similarly, use it for singe-leg RDLs.

You could also get a couple of bands and do some arm and shoulder work and they're really versatile so you could get a lot out of them.

Just a couple of quick ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

It seems a gym in Dublin 15 is saying they won’t be closing, according to a post they made on Instagram.

This will be interesting.

I'm on a Facebook page for Irish fitness pros, and there are actually quite a few people on there who are claiming they won't be closing their doors.

It makes sense if your business is about to go under. Depending on what the fines are.

In Liverpool, a group of gyms banded together and have managed to get themselves listed as essential services. Will be interesting to see if same could happen here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, smell of yellow vest brigade off it. It's because of gnomes not following restrictions that we are at level 5 ............. following in their footsteps helps no one.

Looks like an economic decision rather than a mental health one "We would not be in a position to freeze memberships again for a second time.
    Therefore, the show must go on." .......... regardless the show won't be going on for long.
    Putting members in a bad spot really, they can't attend the gym (if they follow guidelines) but the gym are staying open and not freezing their memberships......... the lad seems a total tw@t IMO.

Maybe it’s a mix of all those things and what’s wrong with that? Gyms and other businesses being closed for 6 months with no reprieve on rent and leases is hardly a sustainable business model. It’s not like they’re are trying to get greedy. They’re trying to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭shmeee

WTF like.

Won't last pissing time.

Cop on and do what 99.9% of GYMS are doing and closing their doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

The cynic in me says it's a ploy to get their name out there for more customers once they do reopen.

Think you're underestimating how many gyms won't survive this next lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Why should we not fight back?These restrictions dont work even the WHO say it.

Govt say they are following the science but they clearly arent.Its known there are no known outbreaks in gyms and the mental and physical health benefits are enormous.

By the Govts own admission many outbreaks were in homes so we should be policing neighbourshoods as ive stated before and depending on peoples help.

Now the Govt have decided to fine people attending or organising house parties,if they did that in level 3 we wouldnt have been in this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

shmeee wrote: »
    WTF like.

Won't last pissing time.

Cop on and do what 99.9% of GYMS are doing and closing their doors.

Why should they close?

If they enforce mask wearing

No more danger than Tesco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Fair play to any gym staying open. Show some scientific evidence to back up why they should be closed first.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/gyms-liverpool-city-region-reopen-19139097

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Hardly now businesses are struggling badly easy to talk from the comfort of a work from home job or state funded job etc the self employed are getting ****ed over of course the virus is real but from my experience gyms have been very safe environments and closing them has been a complete over reaction and actualy will end up doing more harm than good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

It will lead to winning , hopefully

that's the spirit :rolleyes:, do what they tell us so they might let us do nice things
    grow a spine ffs.

and well done on throwing in the baseless slur, why not call they the nazi party too while you are at it.

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Hardly now businesses are struggling badly easy to talk from the comfort of a work from home job or state funded job etc the self employed are getting ****ed over of course the virus is real but from my experience gyms have been very safe environments and closing them has been a complete over reaction and actualy will end up doing more harm than good!

I'm self employed, not in a WFH job and not state funded.

The insta post said they aren't in a position to freeze memberships again and so are staying open, as I dsaid that fncks over all their members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Fair play to any gym staying open. Show some scientific evidence to back up why they should be closed first.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/gyms-liverpool-city-region-reopen-19139097

Yeah its gone far enough now

Watching the news and seeing those 4 babies die in Australia because of travel restrictions has been it for me

None of it is science based anymore

My gym has enforced mask wearing since June/July

How can it be unsafer than Tesco

paw patrol wrote: »
    It will lead to winning , hopefully

that's the spirit :rolleyes:, do what they tell us so they might let us do nice things
    grow a spine ffs.

and well done on throwing in the baseless slur, why not call they the nazi party too while you are at it.

I've plenty spine ....... grow your own... baseless slur me hole....... "We would not be in a position to freeze memberships again for a second time.
    Therefore, the show must go on." It's in black and white ffs.

The reason we are at level 5 is because folk didn't do what they were told for the last 3/4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭shmeee

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Why should they close?

If they enforce mask wearing

No more danger than Tesco

Ah ya, wearing a mask while doing a high intensity work out..... That will work! Not.

Why should barbers close?
    Why should outdoor dining at a restaurant close?
    Why should churches close?
    Why should clothes shops close?
    Why should car sales show rooms close?

We could go on and on....

You can say the same about all the above.

I've credits on an account for a GYM which will probably lapse, but I'll just go with it and agree. And hopefully they can get their doors back open in 6 weeks an maybe even sooner if we can get our high R number down.

There is something in the fitness community that stinks of entitlement!

No one wants the gyms to close but no one wants any business to close.
    Westside shall be closing tomorrow I expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I've plenty spine ....... grow your own... baseless slur me hole....... "We would not be in a position to freeze memberships again for a second time.
    Therefore, the show must go on." It's in black and white ffs.

The reason we are at level 5 is because folk didn't do what they were told for the last 3/4 months.

you've no idea of their motivation but labelled them with a political movement. that's baseless.

I have a spine thanks, i don't need the man on the telly to tell me where I can go and who I can see.

:pac:

be good santa might get you a whopper present.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement