Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 3 - Read OP before posting - updated 27/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

1968 wrote: »
    Short piece in latest issue of The Phoenix magazine about the Robbie Lawlor killing.

Off topic so apologies to all in advance but is the Phoenix worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭leko99

• Registered Users Posts: 19,267 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Was nice of them to include a photo of the fella who has had a few attempted hits on him already.....I suppose it's handy for even more people to be able to recognise him in case they want to pass on info on his movements

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2020/0425/1134692-foiled-kinahan-hit-on-rival-hutch-gangster/

I'm sure he's no angel but still

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Was nice of them to include a photo of the fella who has had a few attempted hits on him already.....I suppose it's handy for even more people to be able to recognise him in case they want to pass on info on his movements

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2020/0425/1134692-foiled-kinahan-hit-on-rival-hutch-gangster/

This a long read from Paul Reynolds. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭leko99

armaghlad wrote: »
    One prominent name worth looking into. Think of Sherlock’s right hand man. Type that name followed by Lurgan into google.

Checked him on facebook, looks a right Chav. Surely he cant be one of the top men???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

leko99 wrote: »
    Checked him on facebook, looks a right Chav. Surely he cant be one of the top men???
    They’re fairly low level in the grand scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SSLil

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Not really. I recently cancelled my subscription as found I wasn't reading most of it. There's a few interesting articles but not enough to warrant a subscription, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 judaspig

Doesn't that seem crazy lenient considering he organised and planned it. The driver got 12 years. Doesn't really make sense

He has obviously thrown someone to the wolves. He's a grass like his boss lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭PaddyK2020

judaspig wrote: »
    He has obviously thrown someone to the wolves. He's a grass like his boss lol

The driver was sentenced for possession of the gun which carries a higher sentence than conspiracy. Driver also had 0revious for firearms and explosives. Max for conspiracy to murder is 10 year.

Edit : Not saying he didn't grass though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 judaspig

PaddyK2020 wrote: »
    The driver was sentenced for possession of the gun which carries a higher sentence than conspiracy. Driver also had 0revious for firearms and explosives. Max for conspiracy to murder is 10 year.

Edit : Not saying he didn't grass though.

They are all ratting each other out, it's impossible to be in the game more than a few years and not get locked up without grassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Frank12 wrote: »
    It actually happened in my home town in Tipperary at like 5 in the evening , 2 guys dressed up in the uniform and made a mock call out video and then they dressed up a local character around the town in the uniform and went for a spin around the town they got pulled over and the driver (convicted dealer) done for drink driving and a slap on the wrist to the guy dressed as the guard. The Garda that was passed out on the couch reported his car as stolen , no angel himself

haha thats gas. Surprised the lad dressed up as a Garda didnt get more than a slap on the wrist, thought impersonating one was a serious offence but obvuisly not!
    PCeeeee wrote: »

Ive a sub to it and its up and down. Sometimes theres lots of good pieces, other issues not so good. But if you follow current affairs it does have pieces of inside info you wont see printed in the mainstream media, stuff like what politician is trying to backstab another politician within their own party, the dirty tricks they get up to etc. Most articles are written by journalists who work in the print media but their employers wont publish what the Phoenix will so they freelance it there.

It doesnt cover gangland that much though so I wouldnt be getting it for that. It is the best source for Northern Ireland legacy issues and the games played between IRA/Loyalists/RUC/MI6, lots of interesting stuff about Stakeknife and other double agents during the Troubles. They also cover the inner workings of the Gardai and the legal profession very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

leko99 wrote: »

This is a interesting one you want some balls to be shooting at Colin Duffy's house. Was there any retaliation for that ? Them chaps are insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deco Barry

Cancer surely must have been questioning why AW only got 6 years and wasn't he cut up in prison too

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭John_D3

6541 wrote: »
    This is a interesting one you want some balls to be shooting at Colin Duffy's house. Was there any retaliation for that ? Them chaps are insane.

Had heard at the time Duffy’s own outfit shot at the house them selves, to take the news away from something else happening at the time.

Though came out in court there recently Duffys daughters boyfriend had a 50k hit on him by McKeown’s outfit, so maybe there is a bit of chemistry between other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

John_D3 wrote: »
    Had heard at the time Duffy’s own outfit shot at the house them selves, to take the news away from something else happening at the time.

Though came out in court there recently Duffys daughters boyfriend had a 50k hit on him by McKeown’s outfit, so maybe there is a bit of chemistry between other

50k hit, that can't be real surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭PaddyK2020

judaspig wrote: »
    They are all ratting each other out, it's impossible to be in the game more than a few years and not get locked up without grassing.

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭John_D3

50k hit, that can't be real surely?

Not totally sure either true or a reason behind them making it up, something to gain from it. Though was defiantly 50k hit, probably online somewhere, was in the media, Irish news, belfast tel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

John_D3 wrote: »

Not sure about that either myself if it’s the one I’m thinking of he was caught with three others (including Dee Duffy brother of Colin) targeting a retired cop after an IED was found in Lurgan in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im not normally a fan of Paul Reynolds but in fairness that is a fascinating article. Its a long read but it is like a forensic breakdown of a gangland hit gone wrong, everything from the plans by the hit team to the conversations between them is in it. I hadnt realised the Gardai had bugged the Kinahan sides cars with listening devices and they basically talked themselves into a conviction. Gardai put huge resources into making sure Hanley wasnt assassinated
    Over 200 gardaí were involved in the operation to save Gary Hanley's life which ran for 12 weeks on a 24-hour basis and cost over €1 million. They bugged the rival gangsters cars and vans and covertly watched the managers and gunmen for three months from August to November 2017.

They discovered that Hanley was to be shot dead at the home he shared with his partner and infant child in Marino in Dublin and that his partner's car had been bugged. They removed two tracking devices from underneath it on 17 September 2017.

Gardaí also identified and concentrated on several cars including a Seat, a Renault Laguna, a white Nissan Primastar van and a white Volkswagen Caddy.

Its about a 15 minute read but well worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Steve94

Is it known why the kinahans want Hanley dead so bad? I know he's on the hutch side but to go to all these lengths to take him out so many times I wonder why that is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Steve94 wrote: »
    Is it known why the kinahans want Hanley dead so bad? I know he's on the hutch side but to go to all these lengths to take him out so many times I wonder why that is
    Is it the Principle of it ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Steve94 wrote: »

Not many left.

Lots locked though I think.

Garda are doing a great PR drive on Twitter with the lockdown.

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1254092715907842048?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Made in China 2040

Hanley made himself a target by posting on social media pics of bullets for the "kinahan rats" or anyone associated to them, before the first plot to kill him in September 2017.

The second plot was the ballymun incident late November 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭rodmn2377

Hanley made himself a target by posting on social media pics of bullets for the "kinahan rats" or anyone associated to them, before the first plot to kill him in September 2017.

The second plot was the ballymun incident late November 2018.

Did he not post the pics after the first plot?? He was always tight with all that crowd... budda,choco,froggy who would all have been targets .. also I think he was making a few quid selling so that alone would make him a target too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Made in China 2040

rodmn2377 wrote: »
    Did he not post the pics after the first plot?? He was always tight with all that crowd... budda,choco,froggy who would all have been targets .. also I think he was making a few quid selling so that alone would make him a target too

You're right, they were after the first plot, it probably as simple as you suggested to why he was targeted, trying to go from the top to the bottom of the tree.

It's boggling that the guards mounted a 1 million 12 week 24/7 operation to save his life, some peoples lives are worth more than others in the eyes of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Deco Barry wrote: »
    Cancer surely must have been questioning why AW only got 6 years and wasn't he cut up in prison too

Wilson had no previous conviction.

I'm not saying there was no ratting but the sentences when you consider the charges faced and his previous are fair.

Id argue Alan Wilson was hard done by with the 6years given it was his 1st criminal conviction and he got 60% of the max sentence. On top of being free of convictions he pleaded guilty and was remorseful. The courts love that sh1t.

People mighnt like that but the law is clear.

quoted from RTE
    Mr Justice Hunt said Wilson was ready, willing, able and intimately involved in the conspiracy to commit the most serious criminal offence, murder.
    However, he also said court was "constrained" by legislation in that the maximum sentence is ten years.

another question, if the Cartel are so big and powerful. Why are they paying fcuk ups like Kelly and Luke Wilson to do these hits?

Reading that Paul Williams article on RTE I almost feel sorry for Howe and Brannigan having to deal with such incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surely they should have been charged with attempted murder instead of conspiracy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Surely they should have been charged with attempted murder instead of conspiracy.

Maybe, but for attempted murder the physical attempt to actually do it needs to be committed.
    Which didn't happen, maybe the law needs to change

the law reform commission has this on their website
    the complete offence of murder requires the wrongful killing of a human being; whereas the offence of attempted murder caters for cases where the accused tries, but fails, to kill the victim. Similarly, the offences of conspiracy to murder and incitement to murder provide for cases where the accused has made an agreement to kill (conspiracy), or has sought to persuade someone else to kill (incitement).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement