Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Anytime I start to feel positive about the trend it just ****ing reverses again .... f*ck this sh!t ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

froog wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129265-covid-clusters-ireland/

"The number of clusters of coronavirus in nursing homes has more than doubled since the weekend.

Figures released today show there are now 86 nursing home outbreaks, while on Saturday the figure was 40.
    "

what the actual ****??

I wonder if the predicted figure of 400 deaths will still remain despite occurrences like this, 400 would seem extremely optimistic with 86 nursing home clusters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Off licences particularly busy yesterday. I suspect a lot of drinking going on in the back garden with different households mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

"The number of clusters of coronavirus in nursing homes has more than doubled since the weekend.

Figures released today show there are now 86 nursing home outbreaks, while on Saturday the figure was 40.
    "

what the actual ****??

Ground zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

is_that_so wrote: »
    Worldometer seem to have different numbers for Spain. El Pais and Guardian have it at 757

I think Worldometer is the numbers since midnight, whereas the guardian and el pais is the last 24 hours, so yesterday afternoons updates are included in guardian/el pais numbers.

• Advertisement

https://nhi.ie/
    There are only 460 nursing homes in Ireland so it is crazy thar COVID got into 86 of them (though maybe this figure doesnt include private nursing homes?)

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://nhi.ie/
    There are only 460 nursing homes in Ireland so it is crazy thar COVID got into 86 of them (though maybe this figure doesnt include private nursing homes?)

It seems to me that the government reacted too late on nursing homes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

is_that_so wrote: »
    Worldometer seem to have different numbers for Spain. El Pais and Guardian have it at 757

Quiet a few of the media sources struggle with Spain. Or rather the combined media struggle to be consistent with Spain.

They can't handle to multiple daily updates.

Some compare the 1st update yesterday with the 1st update today. Others compare the last update yesterday with the last today. Others compare the first update yesterday with the last update today then tomorrow compare the first update with the last update.

Personally if I post anything on Spain I would source what I'm post and what I'm comparing it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭circadian

old_aussie wrote: »
    To STOP CONFUSION,

This thread should be renamed the Donald TRUMP thread!

FFS I thought it was about Covid-19

Hitting a nerve?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

New Home wrote: »
    You know what they say, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" - that's applicable to Trump, too.

Unfortunately, we're all part of the problem, and we're all part of the solution right now

• Advertisement

Iran has recorded it's highest daily total of new cases at nearly 5000 today

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Anytime I start to feel positive about the trend it just ****ing reverses again .... f*ck this sh!t ...

if you want to feel positive - then just don't read news/get off boards and avoid covid19 talk.

All this talk about "peaking" and "trends" is total crap - it's like someone looking at the investment returns and thinking, yea they are peaking etc, you only ever know about a peak once it's happened and you analysis data. Yet here we are and you have the media talking about the peak coming this week or next, and the trend is this or that.

It's like the media/people are afraid of lifting the restrictions late.

We could be in the exact same position as now in 3 weeks time, we could be in a lot worse, or slightly better - but if we assume the worse, take active measures - continue the "lockdown" - then we are giving ourselves the best chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Some compare the 1st update yesterday with the 1st update today. Others compare the last update yesterday with the last today. Others compare the first update yesterday with the last update today then tomorrow compare the first update with the last update.

Sounds like a scene from Naked Gun or something.....

wakka12 wrote: »
    I wonder if the predicted figure of 400 deaths will still remain despite occurrences like this, 400 would seem extremely optimistic with 86 nursing home clusters

Correct me if i'm wrong but that predicted figure wasn't arrived at my Irish experts - indeed Tony knocked that on it's head yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Spain cases on the rise again .... just don't understand it .. .

Very disheartening.

To STOP CONFUSION,

This thread should be renamed the Donald TRUMP thread!

FFS I thought it was about Covid-19

I really think some Irish people and many Irish journalist just generally have a weird obsession with US presidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I really think some Irish people and many Irish journalist just generally have a weird obsession with US presidents.
    Mostly we ignore them, but some just will not be ignored!

circadian wrote: »
    Hitting a nerve?

NO,

I thought we'd be talking about how Covid-19 was affecting your country, and many other countries, and how Covid-19 was affecting our lives, and how to combat it's tendency to kill random people.

Stay safe,.

PS I like to use a lot of "and's"

NO,

I thought we'd be talking about how Covid-19 was affecting your country, and how Covid-19 was affecting our lives, and how to combat it's tendency to kill random people.

Stay safe,.

The ones that get obsessed about Trump think they are American.

i don't think it's really fair to say that - given the nature of the homes, it was inevitable that it was going to happen,

Staff come and go - there is no way around that - there are agency staff that work in multiple homes - if no home will give them full time contracts - what do you want them to do?

There are multiple people going in and out of homes on a regular basis - delivers, tradesmen, nurses, doctors, funeral directors to name a few

The HSE directive is that if a resident gets the virus, they stay in the nursing home and cared for there - which opens up a lot of issues - how to avoid staff getting sick, how to get extra staff etc.

It's easy to sit on the side line and blame the government but in reality there is very little they could really do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Correct you are. We’ve been a little too late on a few things.

Just needed to be a little braver to make the tough decisions and less worried about upsetting people.

Probably two weeks behind in decision making and that delay meant an extra three weeks shutdown now for all.

More proactive instead of reactive and we’d have nailed it here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

circadian wrote: »
    Hitting a nerve?

Yes, we have truckloads of nerve gas. We can take out all of China overnight, it'll be spectacular.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    i don't think it's really fair to say that - given the nature of the homes, it was inevitable that it was going to happen,

Staff come and go - there is no way around that - there are agency staff that work in multiple homes - if no home will give them full time contracts - what do you want them to do?

There are multiple people going in and out of homes on a regular basis - delivers, tradesmen, nurses, doctors, funeral directors to name a few

The HSE directive is that if a resident gets the virus, they stay in the nursing home and cared for there - which opens up a lot of issues - how to avoid staff getting sick, how to get extra staff etc.

It's easy to sit on the side line and blame the government but in reality there is very little they could really do.

The actions they are taking now could have taken place earlier is my point. Clearly nursing homes was the most vulnerable place to be during this crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's also an assumption that all nursing homes are equal in how they apply standards and directives. Some do, very well, others not so much.

The actions they are taking now could have taken place earlier is my point. Clearly nursing homes was the most vulnerable place to be during this crisis.

And what restrictions would stop/prevent it spreading in nursing homes?

Correct me if i'm wrong but that predicted figure wasn't arrived at my Irish experts - indeed Tony knocked that on it's head yesterday.

I got knocked on my head in a motorcycle accident 50 years ago.

It ain't affected my some, none some what maybe at all

Cheers lad

And what restrictions would stop/prevent it spreading in nursing homes?

All staff wearing the proper equipment and for staff to be housed in hotels until the crisis ends. The staff should also get a 50% increase in pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

"

what the actual ****??

What the actual fcuk indeed?

Are workers asymptomatic and going in to work and passing it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

I just came across this: https://www.bitchute.com/video/JIBQO4wMkSmX/

I take it that the guy is a loon or conman. It's very confusing.

Your thoughts, guys?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wasn't there talk of a few health care workers returning from abroad going straight back into work and then testing positive, could some have been in contact with nursing homes considering visiting restrictions came in place early March

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement