Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Bob24 wrote: »
    A French health officient said on the radio this morning that they did spot checks in the most affected area of the country and the estimate that 10-15% of the population had the virus and has immunity.

They did an antibody test?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Yesterday evening I drove, lazy yes, 1km to get a takeaway. While waiting outside, a cyclist passed by with a water bottle, and took a swig and then gozzied it out onto the street. Freaked me and another person waiting nearby tbh. Anyway, I got my takeaway a minute later and on the short drive home caught up with him - so followed him for a hundred yards only to see him spitting on two more occasions out onto the path after taking swigs of his water. This might be a thing that cyclists do (not wanting to drink too much liquids or something) but it was disgusting.

Anyway, he pulled into presumably his house a minute later so I know where he lives. I also have him on the dashcam spitting twice.

I know I will be accused of not minding my own business etc, and I didn't challenge him at the time, but I am wondering whether to either:

1) drop a note into the house where hopefully his family might knock some sense into him (he was in his early twenties)
    2) notify the gardaí.
    3) mind my own business and chastise myself for even following him.

Yes, I know, I will now get accused of not minding my own business etc. etc. but I saw this as a clear risk to other members of the public at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pretty stupid to follow him, it doesn't negate his stupidty. And he's just an asshole who happened to be on a bike, they're not the borg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

so we don't have to put up with their insufferably sh;te.

If only the same could be said for us with your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Achasanai wrote: »
    Single file walking on narrow paths is something that's alien to a lot of people, but disappointing that it's still the case in a world of 2m social distancing guidelines.

This has been a pet hate of mine for years. On narrow paths you have no choice but to step onto busy roads with fast moving traffic.

A while ago I refused to step out of the way for 3 teenaged girls walking 3 a breast on a busy street. They assumed I would step off the path so paid no attention to me. Two of them slammed straight into me. If looks good kill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

I had this thing before xmas,got it after coming back from a holiday....everyone in work got it,and most my family aswel over xmas and the lads in work families aswell....roughly 2 weeks after me

None got pneumonia though,but i certainly dont ever want to be that sick again,never experienced anything like it.....im not taking any chances for fear this cv19 is worse

Yes, my family had it too just before Christmas. Although we weren’t abroad. It went around the schools and crèches. I remember they notified parents about conjunctivitis and mumps at the time. We all have had the mumps vaccine though. Usually I don’t get the flu but this thing caught us all sideways. Dry cough, fever, extreme headaches, fatigue, extreme shortness of breath, diarrhea, nausea, chest/ back pain. A general feeling like you’ve been run over by a freight train. I couldn’t go on my daily walks properly for weeks after, because of shortness of breath and lingering dry cough. My sister was close to having pneumonia. It must have been some sort of Coronavirus - but maybe not this current strain, as it seems to be more aggressive.

Edit: Out of my 3 kids, only the youngest one had fever for more than a day. But he is always prone to fever spikes, so it wasn’t out of the ordinary. The other two only missed a day of school and all of them suffered from headaches, nausea, fatigue and dry cough.

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    Yesterday evening I drove, lazy yes, 1km to get a takeaway. While waiting outside, a cyclist passed by with a water bottle, and took a swig and then gozzied it out onto the street. Freaked me and another person waiting nearby tbh. Anyway, I got my takeaway a minute later and on the short drive home caught up with him - so followed him for a hundred yards only to see him spitting on two more occasions out onto the path after taking swigs of his water. This might be a thing that cyclists do (not wanting to drink too much liquids or something) but it was disgusting.

Anyway, he pulled into presumably his house a minute later so I know where he lives. I also have him on the dashcam spitting twice.

I know I will be accused of not minding my own business etc, and I didn't challenge him at the time, but I am wondering whether to either:

1) drop a note into the house where hopefully his family might knock some sense into him (he was in his early twenties)
    2) notify the gardaí.
    3) mind my own business and chastise myself for even following him.

Yes, I know, I will now get accused of not minding my own business etc. etc. but I saw this as a clear risk to other members of the public at this time.
    Is what he did a crime? If its not then obviously dont call the gardai. Drop the note into the house if you feel it is an important thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

polesheep wrote: »
    It's worse than fake news, it's more like lord Haw Haw. My wife is a nurse in a Dublin hospital, currently being moved between ICU and a ward as needed. She tells me there is ample availability for patients and another ward coming on stream this week. Lots of staff too, so no work pressure. Only hassle is donning and doffing PPE. By whatever miracle, the HSE seem to be well prepared.

Agree completely. I work for the HSE and it has never been quieter. Hospital wards & ED departments are empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

This has been a pet hate of mine for years. On narrow paths you have no choice but to step onto busy roads with fast moving traffic.

A while ago I refused to step out of the way for 3 teenaged girls walking 3 a breast on a busy street. They assumed I would step off the path so paid no attention to me. Two of them slammed straight into me. If looks good kill!

That only works if you are a woman.

I would be thrown in prison for slamming into any teenage girls.

Just Saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

shocksy wrote: »
    All your posts on this thread are disgraceful but this one really shows you up for the type of person you are. You truly are a disgusting person and your attitude matches it. I'm grateful the majority of people in Ireland aren't like you.

You're pathetic.

Rest assured if he continues to carry on like that in public he'll eventually do it to the wrong person and end up getting a kicking in front of his family while out for one of his walks. It will be a sore lesson for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Hurrache wrote: »
    What's the 'wrong' side?

You walk on your right hand side facing towards traffic. Also people have a habit of swapping sides.

The only time Id walk on the left is when Id be hitchhiking. (20 yrs ago back in my school days)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    These deaths are still incredibly sad. I'm not convinced that they are being reported in the media with the right motivation.

I do note that the the article concludes as follows:

"Governor of Louisiana John Bel Edwards is trying to tackle the racial disparity in deaths.

The toll of coronavirus on New Orleans has been greater than in other cities, with the death rate around twice that of New York.

Officials say this is because of the city's high levels of obesity and related health issues such as diabetes and hypertension.
    I agree on the press motivation. They somewhat naturally go for the outlier cases to get clicks. So the stories of whole family wiped out!! or 18 year old dies of coronavirus!! when both stories, particularly the latter are very rare in reality.

On the racial difference in the US. African Americans have much higher rates of type 2 diabetes and obesity and heart disease. It looks like there is likely a genetic component to the diabetes rate. There are also more social disparities going on that have nothing biologically to do with skin colour. Poorer people die more than richer people. Poorer people tend to live in high density housing so more vectors for infection. Poorer people tend to have jobs with more public contact, bus drivers, shop workers etc. Poorer people tend to take public transport more. This difference in death risk was seen in the 1918 flu pandemic too.

I've noticed in the UK more Black and Asian(Indian, Pakistani) seem to be hit harder. If you look at those who've died in the line of duty in their NHS there does seem to be fewer White faces involved. But again this is more likely to be social and cultural. The NHS has a lot of non White British people working in it.

There could well be a "racial" angle in this. Or rather different populations may be hit differently. This is a well known enough factor in disease, including contagious disease. Look how indigenous peoples were affected the world over when Europeans went on an empire building world tour a few centuries ago. Europeans that went were the descendants of survivors of countless rolling "plagues" going back over a thousand years and their immune systems had a lot of experience. The indigenous peoples weren't and their immune systems hadn't.

As a complete and weird aside... :D if time travel were a thing, disease would be a large factor that nobody considers. If you went back in time you could wipe out whole chunks of populations with what might be a head cold to you, if you went forward in time a sniffle to the locals could be like ebola to you. Though you could look at it another way too. That modern western medicine supported people have less robust immune systems than people of say 200 years ago. Well 200 years ago without modern medicine likely half the people on this thread would have never made it out of childhood, so there's that too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lolle06 wrote: »
    Yes, my family had it too just before Christmas. Although we weren’t abroad. It went around the schools and crèches. I remember they notified parents about conjunctivitis and mumps at the time. We all have had the mumps vaccine though. Usually I don’t get the flu but this thing caught us all sideways. Dry cough, fever, fatigue, extreme shortness of breath, diarrhea, nausea, chest/ back pain. A general feeling like you’ve been run over by a fright train. I couldn’t go on my daily walks properly for weeks after, because of shortness of breath and lingering dry cough. My sister was close to having pneumonia. It must have been some sort of Coronavirus - but maybe not this current strain, as it seems to be more aggressive.

We used to have footpaths, thanks to the push for bycicle lanes we have gangways now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Wibbs wrote: »

As a complete and weird aside... :D if time travel were a thing, disease would be a large factor that nobody considers. If you went back in time you could wipe out whole chunks of populations with what might be a head cold to you, if you went forward in time a sniffle to the locals could be like ebola to you. Though you could look at it another way too. That modern western medicine supported people have less robust immune systems than people of say 200 years ago. Well 200 years ago without modern medicine likely half the people on this thread would have never made it out of childhood, so there's that too.

I certainly wouldnt be here

CpCMinDHyH5B.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Wibbs wrote: »
    As a complete and weird aside... :D if time travel were a thing, disease would be a large factor that nobody considers. If you went back in time you could wipe out whole chunks of populations with what might be a head cold to you, if you went forward in time a sniffle to the locals could be like ebola to you.

Well thanks for ruining Futurama for me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Basil3 wrote: »
    To be fair, it's a warzone out there on the footpaths.

I always lived with the assumption that we drive on the left, so you walk on the left of the footpath. From what I experience every day, I'm wrong

I actually started a dedicated thread to this a while back, and I too was under the assumption that we should walk in the left of a footpath, but I'm guessing that about 85% suggest the opposite, so I now comply and always walk in the right hand side of paths/footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

petes wrote: »
    And what if they did cough on you?

That's a completely different issue. Most people don't cough on someone etc etc

More people have now died in the USA in the last 14 days than the estimated death toll for the entire year in the 2009 Swine flu pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I actually started a dedicated thread to this a while back, and I too was under the assumption that we should walk in the left of a footpath, but I'm guessing that about 85% suggest the opposite, so I now comply and always walk in the right hand side of paths/footpaths.

Its always been a hill walkers protocol to walk on country roads against the flow of traffic, it makes sense that you want to see the cars likely to be closest to you

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭JRant

wakka12 wrote: »
    That is a worst case example
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html
    Flu kills as few as 12,000 many other years in the US

Anyway it seems people make lots of excuses for why certain countries are hit hard but clearly as more emerge as the pandemic continues it simply hits any country hard where it has had a chance to get out of control due to initial inaction

It's the most recent figures available, and it's also in a flu season where they got the flu vaccine wrong. Goes to show the difference between flu seasons when they distribute the wrong vaccine type.

I'm not sure what you're arguing against by mentioning a countries initial inaction as I didn't mention anything to do with that.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

wakka12 wrote: »
    More people have now died in the USA in the last 14 days than the estimated death toll for the entire year in the 2009 Swine flu pandemic

This is very scary. It's just the speed it's spreading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

risteard7 wrote: »
    Agree completely. I work for the HSE and it has never been quieter. Hospital wards & ED departments are empty.

I don't understand. Looking at Italy, Spain, America. Are people just not getting help with this and staying at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Seamai wrote: »
    This is a bit of a bugbear of mine and I know we've got bigger things on our plate at the moment but on several of the walkways around Cork city, there are signs asking people to walk or cycle on the left and pass on the right yet the majority do the opposite. To me it's intuitive to do what you would on a road.

Well indeed, I that's the way it was for many decades (I'm in my 50s), but things have changed in recent times and as I say the majority now do the opposite!

The rule (used to be) that in countries where drive on the left people would do likewise on footpaths/ park paths, but that seems to have changed in Ireland, and we now mirror the USA & Europe. Hence we drive in the left but walk on the right, which seems totly counterintuitive, but that's the way it's gone in Ireland :cool:

I've given up trying to walk in the left in the park.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Beasty wrote: »
    It is spreading so rapidly now I can't understand how it could have been around so long. If it had gone unchecked (in pretty much all countries outside China) since November our ICU beds would have been overrun months ago.

I've heard these stories about it "being around" since November, but it simply does not make any sense to me. I have little doubt "something" was around, and I understand there was an increase in pneumonia deaths around then, but I cannot see how it could have been Covid-19

The only thing that would make sense, if that had been Covid-19 back then (and I'm praying that it was, because I've some people at very high risk that nearly died in December and January so if that was it they'd hopefully be immune to it now), would be if what we're witnessing now is the second, much-worse wave that everyone is expecting in a few months' time.

Pure speculation and wishful thinking on my part, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Even if you pass somebody at close range and they cough-it would want to be directly at you to have any effect and most people avoid coughing these days near people or they do it into their sleeves. Common sense it seems is not that common

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't understand. Looking at Italy, Spain, America. Are people just not getting help with this and staying at home.
    They got swamped, we reacted early and our ICU numbers are manageable. Some of the rest of it I guess is because people stayed at home and didn't venture into A&E plus the cancellation of elective procedures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Elective surgery is cancelled, for one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The holiday home issue is just a red Herring.

The real issue are the tens of thousands of morons out in the parks like it's one big summer holiday.

The 350 a week Covid dole payment should be stopped to those breaking the rules.
    Easy enough to accomplish too.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement