Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ah, families on paths is this week's bugbear!:P

Was wondering when the hot-topic would move on from face-masks.

I await with interest what next week's fret will be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tesco said today that in the last two weeks alone it had "recruited more than 45,000 workers in Britain to help cover staff sickness and cope with additional demand".

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of that 45k in terms of how many sick workers, as it would give an indication of the risks of being in supermarkets perhaps. Perhaps, before someone tells me I am talking shíte.

ixoy wrote: »
    A lot of Irish paths are nowhere near 2m in width so it means constantly stepping out on to the road or, as we did a bit yesterday, zig zagging back and forth from one side to the other.

Last week we had to walk down the middle of the road because two people were walking slowly, in parallel, on opposite sides of the road and no, they weren't out walking together. The only way to get pass as safely as possible was to saunter down the road...

passing someone, quickly and ensuring physical contact is avoided and you don't sneeze or cough is sufficient to avoid spread. What is to avoided is close contact within two meters for anything but the briefest period of time. The virus does not radiate from the body in a 2 metre radius. It is transmitted though droplets in the air or on surfaces / hands / possible clothes. If you do not physically contact someone or remain in their presence the risk is negligible.

This suspicion and anxiety people express on the prospect of encountering another person is not good for peoples mental health. When you encounter someone on the footpath they are likely having similar anxieties to yourself. Smile, say hello, even indicate which side of the path you are going to use to facilitate lowering everyone's anxiety. Behave towards others as you would like to be treated yourself. If other behave badly, you can still maintain your own dignity and self respect. Above all we are social beings, and we should not forget the small pleasantries that make up everyday life while still adhering to the rules to keep us all safe

Of course you do. So widescale roadblocks isn't a new restriction? We're not talking about checkpoints. Actual roadblocks not allowing people to access certain areas.

As Logan Roy has already said to you, they are not new restrictions, they are enforcing current restrictions because some idiots can't follow the guidelines without being made to.
    Logan Roy wrote: »
    Where are the greater restrictions mentioned? It's an article about the gardai having additional powers to enforce existing restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/coronavirus-kills-woman-three-sons-21831699

There were stories like this in China aswell , entire families being wiped out by the disease.

Since They haven’t found the answer to why some get it worse then others I wonder if family genes play a significant role.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Single file walking on narrow paths is something that's alien to a lot of people, but disappointing that it's still the case in a world of 2m social distancing guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

What doctor prescribed you antibiotics for a confirmed flu?

Almost all doctors prescribe antibiotics for colds and flus. The vast majority of antibiotics are prescribed unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'll certainly continue to walk the footpaths with my family. Any numpty that wants a 2m separation is more than welcome to walk out into the road, with any luck a few will be mown down so we don't have to put up with their insufferably sh;te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

jackboy wrote: »
    Almost all doctors prescribe antibiotics for colds and flus. The vast majority of antibiotics are prescribed unnecessarily.

Alright there stretch armstrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Mater Hospital in Dublin has reached capacity on ICU beds , all they have is 18 ICU beds ,that seems a crazy low number .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I'll certainly continue to walk the footpaths with my family. Any numpty that wants a 2m separation is more than welcome to walk out into the road, with any luck a few will be mown down so we don't have to put up with their insufferably sh;te.

I will walk very very far away from you, don't you worry. Nothing to do with coronavirus, though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Juwwi wrote: »
    Mater Hospital in Dublin has reached capacity on ICU beds , all they have is 18 ICU beds ,that seems a crazy low number .

This is what you get when you don't invest in the health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

passing someone, quickly and ensuring physical contact is avoided and you don't sneeze or cough is sufficient to avoid spread. What is to avoided is close contact within two meters for anything but the briefest period of time. The virus does not radiate from the body in a 2 metre radius. It is transmitted though droplets in the air or on surfaces / hands / possible clothes. If you do not physically contact someone or remain in their presence the risk is negligible.

This suspicion and anxiety people express on the prospect of encountering another person is not good for peoples mental health. When you encounter someone on the footpath they are likely having similar anxieties to yourself. Smile, say hello, even indicate which side of the path you are going to use to facilitate lowering everyone's anxiety. Behave towards others as you would like to be treated yourself. If other behave badly, you can still maintain your own dignity and self respect. Above all we are social beings, and we should not forget the small pleasantries that make up everyday life while still adhering to the rules to keep us all safe

I try to hug people I encounter on a walk to cheer them up to counteract the negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Fcuk it juwwi,this was discussed not 4 pages back and we will have another 2 pages now thanks to you and your finger on the pulse journalism.
    Do keep up.

Danzy wrote: »
    I do not understand, a chicken would cross the road to find food rather than out of any curiosity as to what lay there, which is beyond it's less evolved mind.

Is that you, Eric Cantona?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

they have 36 beds now, it's a bit of a fake news headline, I presume the mater is a private hospital, not representative of the health system being overrun

jackboy wrote: »

They don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ellejay wrote: »
    I wouldn't discount their claims.

I've two relations that came back from Wuhan in November.
    They got seriously bad "flu"
    Their parents got it too.

Their aunt and cousin came out to mind them, they also got it.
    I got it, OH got it, and my own parents got it aged 69 and 74.
    They were both prescribed double doses of antibiotics and one was on steroids also.
    I was using a friends inhaler cause I couldn't breathe (yes I know I shouldn't have.)

We all had mentally bad coughs and high temps.
    I was one step away from going to A&E and actually I think I'm still traumatised by how sick I was.

I'm now fully convinced we had the Covid19 Virus.
    Our symptoms were so similar to what is being described now.

I would LOVE to have it confirmed.

We should all be protecting ourselves now as if we didn't catch this virus.

No point in saying what you had before the Christmas was Covid-19. There's no way of knowing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ellejay wrote: »
    I wouldn't discount their claims.

I've two relations that came back from Wuhan in November.
    They got seriously bad "flu"
    Their parents got it too.

Their aunt and cousin came out to mind them, they also got it.
    I got it, OH got it, and my own parents got it aged 69 and 74.
    They were both prescribed double doses of antibiotics and one was on steroids also.
    I was using a friends inhaler cause I couldn't breathe (yes I know I shouldn't have.)

We all had mentally bad coughs and high temps.
    I was one step away from going to A&E and actually I think I'm still traumatised by how sick I was.

I'm now fully convinced we had the Covid19 Virus.
    Our symptoms were so similar to what is being described now.

I would LOVE to have it confirmed.
    I'd be interested to see if I had the antibodies too E. I had the same dose in January. came on with headache, fever and a cough, all within a few hours. No upper respiratory involvement, so no runny nose or any of that. The fever was strong, hitting 38-39 in a matter of hours. The cough hacking and not producing mucus, feeling of a heavy weight on the chest and running up the stairs was not an option. The fever eased off after about three or four days, the breathlessness took about a week, peaking halfway through, but the cough lasted a few weeks.

Now for context, other than swine flu(which I blew off over a weekend and was more like a bad head cold with extra fatigue) I never get the flu, or at least am asymptomatic(my dad was the same. My mum came down with all and sundry, but we never did and were obviously exposed). I also never get headaches. The friend I caught this dose from had the flu go through his family before christmas, but he was badly hit by this new years dose. Had to sleep half sitting up in bed or he couldn't catch a breath. His wife like your parents needed antibiotics and steroids. Of his kids only one seemed to have any symptoms but they were mild. Another who the same friend passed it on to(the bastard :D) gets the flu jab every year and got that January dose pretty bad too. His GP was concerned because his BP was higher than it should be and his breathing was so laboured there was talk of hospital. There was also an upwards blip in HSE stats for hospital admissions for pneumonia before Christmas.

Now chances are pretty damned high it wasn't Covid, but I would say that if I caught that dose today and rang the local doc with the symptoms I'd be told to isolate and get tested PDQ. If I also told them I had rellies newly arrived from Wuhan...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Drumpot wrote: »
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/coronavirus-kills-woman-three-sons-21831699

There were stories like this in China aswell , entire families being wiped out by the disease.

Since They haven’t found the answer to why some get it worse then others I wonder if family genes play a significant role.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced this is the case, especially considering some countries seem to be getting hit harder than others too. It has to be either genes or some kind of environmental factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

That is one of the highest in the country.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/publications/clinical-strategy-and-programmes/critical-care-capacity-and-workforce-census-2016.pdf

This shows the amount per hospital, before all this kicked off but still its low across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is it time to take extra measures in Dublin?
    Director of Critical Care Medicine at the Mater Hospital Dr Coleman O'Loughlin has said that the hospital's ICU is now at full capacity.

The Director admitted that most of the patients in the 18 bed ICU are those suffering from COVID-19.

Those patients, who have been ventilated, have been moved to the high dependency unit for further care.

Speaking to Morning Ireland, Dr O'Loughlin, also President of Intensive Care Society of Ireland, said he is already getting referrals from wards this morning and added that some patients are beginning to deteriorate.

He said that the hospital was lucky in the fact that it had built up a number of surge plans and that an extra 18 beds can be added in the high dependency unit which is located beside the ICU.

Speaking directly after on Morning Ireland, Minister Harris described the announcement as "sobering news"

The Dublin hospitals will add some capacity but if we are heading into the surge period should anyone who looks like becoming seriously ill be diverted to elsewhere around the country, and if so will that create a knock on problem in the regions.

Should the government prepare for the potential of an extended peak in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

they have 36 beds now, it's a bit of a fake news headline, I presume the mater is a private hospital, not representative of the health system being overrun

It's worse than fake news, it's more like lord Haw Haw. My wife is a nurse in a Dublin hospital, currently being moved between ICU and a ward as needed. She tells me there is ample availability for patients and another ward coming on stream this week. Lots of staff too, so no work pressure. Only hassle is donning and doffing PPE. By whatever miracle, the HSE seem to be well prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Family groups and joggers have no place on the footpaths. The rules have to be tightened up on both.

100%. They are a huge nuisance and they need to be stopped by the guards for this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Is it time to take extra measures in Dublin?

The Dublin hospitals will add some capacity but if we are heading into the surge period should anyone who looks like becoming seriously ill be diverted to elsewhere around the country, and if so will that create a knock on problem in the regions.

Should the government prepare for the potential of an extended peak in Dublin?

latest?cb=20140911002002

Drumpot wrote: »

Well, some underlying conditions may be genetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Ficheall wrote: »
    You didn't have it. Hope that helps.

right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Then theres people that walk the wrong side of the road in rural areas

Then theres people that walk the wrong side of the road in rural areas

So do their drivers, so it balances out!

• Advertisement

What doctor prescribed you antibiotics for a confirmed flu?

Secondary infection is possible

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement