Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

screamer wrote: »
    Still missing my point like the other poster..... anyways not going to explain it again.

I’m not missing any point at all.

I also wasn’t being any way combative. Merely stating my own experience.

There are enough circular arguments in this thread without me starting any others.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Poorside wrote: »
    Have you got the correct percentage figure of idiots in the country so?

No, but I didn't claim to. It's blindingly obvious it's nowhere close to 40% though given our cities and towns are deserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Greentopia wrote: »
    Where do you live that you think 40% of people are not abiding by the rules?

Dublin

Small bit of sunshine today and too many people got lax with social distancing

If they're like this today with 14 degrees and a bit of sun, what will they be like in May and June on nice days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Greentopia wrote: »
    No, but I didn't claim to. It's blindingly obvious it's nowhere close to 40% though given our cities and towns are deserted.

It was a blasé statement on a message board, not a government dictat, relax about it a little bit, I doubt Leo read that and will form his approach because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Probably where we should be on the table. We have managed to flatten the initial part but we can expect a surge about a week from now. Remember there's different stages to this so a lot of people might appear to get better and then suddenly worsen and need icu help eg Johnson. I would be surprised if we didn't reach 50 deaths a day from this. There's a large number of asymptomatic spreaders out there we will never find, spreading this.
    Deaths per day seem fairly stable in Ireland over the last few days and lower per million than France, Italy, Spain where a degree of stability is also present. These numbers, of course, depend on definition of Covid-19 fatality, the ability to test and whether nursing homes are taken into account.

New cases per day are also stabilizing but these I think are more dependent on testing strategy, backlogs etc but here we're at the same level as Italy per million and a bit higher than Germany which again is higher than Sweden. Again these numbers depend on how testing is being done.

Source: http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

fritzelly wrote: »
    Good explanation about those rapid anti body tests there on Prime Time - not worth spending money on

There are hundreds of them by different manufacturers. We should be testing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,019 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes! Lose their dole!! Those fecking dole scroungers with their BMWs and their holiday homes

Problem with loosing dole is people ‘have’ to get food, supplies, provide for children etc. emergency courts, suspended sentences, suspended fines might work but the logistics of getting potentially that extra number of people through court when this is over could be impossible I’d imagine.

There are some dole recipients who wouldn’t need it but *can* receive it due to circumstances etc. they’d be entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

US close to 2K deaths for the day.

Numbers only starting to climb in some states.

Yesterday they had 1255.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

speckle wrote: »
    woohoo brillant. hopefully a game changer for testing in this country. Well done to the group.

There's more to it than the lysis buffer, which other Irish companies were already making. Martina1991 (lab worker) is the person to explain.

From the irish times:

Gardaí will now have the power to arrest and detain those who breach the restrictions. This includes those found exercising beyond 2km from their homes or those travelling for non-essential reasons.

Convictions will result in a maximum sentence of six months in prison and a fine of €2,500.

Gardaí will also have the power to assist the HSE in detaining someone judged to be at risk of spreading the virus who refuses to self isolate. Those refusing to comply with such orders face up to three months in prison.

I'll say it.
    I don't like that.
    I was born in the 1960s, have always had an interest in history, and though I know we are in a relatively difficult period right now, I do not like the fact that I can be arrested tomorrow for walking more than 2km from my home.

Argue all you like but I feel very uncomfortable about that.

• Advertisement

From the irish times:

Gardaí will now have the power to arrest and detain those who breach the restrictions. This includes those found exercising beyond 2km from their homes or those travelling for non-essential reasons.

Convictions will result in a maximum sentence of six months in prison and a fine of €2,500.

Gardaí will also have the power to assist the HSE in detaining someone judged to be at risk of spreading the virus who refuses to self isolate. Those refusing to comply with such orders face up to three months in prison.

It's great to see more restrictions in place, but in reality; how can this be really policed?

The manpower just isn't there

• Registered Users Posts: 35,879 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump will be on soon. Empty podium at the minute, Send In The Clowns playing in the background though .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

fritzelly wrote: »
    Still havent received that Covid booklet from the government - anyone else waiting?
    How am I supposed to know what to do...

We received 3 to our house!

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Dublin

If they're like this today with 14 degrees and a bit of sun, what will they be like in May and June on nice days?

So in your opinion 40% of Dubliners were ignoring the restrictions and today or being too lax. Well I'm sure if you're right other Dubs here will confirm your assessment.

We have no idea yet if these harsh restrictions will last until June. Seems unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Just watched Contagion. Ffs some really shady food and hygene practices in Asian.

Basically if they are only 90% accurate you could be sending some people with the virus out into the public unknowingly. And it only takes 1 case to cause significant spread in for example a nursing home.

Hmmm. That's a shame

Wasn't accurate antibodies testing to play a major part in us getting somewhat back towards a semblance or normality though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Logan Roy wrote: »
    How are these people spreading it if the majority are complying with guidelines?

People seem to be desperate for a surge.

I'm sick of absolute ****e like this being posted.

Ah ffs.

Go bury your head in the sand somewhere else.

No-one wants a surge but we've had experts tell us before todays numbers that we'd reached the peak. Only for some of them to be proven clueless once again.

As another poster said earlier, todays deaths were people infected when we had less than 200 daily cases. Now we have 350 and we had 400 some days last week. Of course deaths are going to be up next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'll say it.
    I don't like that.
    I was born in the 1960s, have always had an interest in history, and though I know we are in a relatively difficult period right now, I do not like the fact that I can be arrested tomorrow for walking more than 2km from my home.

Move to Italy so and you won't be allowed out of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,879 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Fauci on the subs bench again, walked out with other Doc, she took to stage and asked him why you not up here, Fauci points '' i sit over here''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

From the irish times:

Good news. Should have been implemented before now but better late than never.

• Advertisement

It was a blasé statement on a message board, not a government dictat, relax about it a little bit, I doubt Leo read that and will form his approach because of it.

I know what it was. A statement based on nothing other than what one person erroneously believes. And I'm entitled to question that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Dublin

So you think over half a million people were congregating in Dublin?

How did you manage the headcount?

In essence, stop talking shoite

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'll say it.
    I don't like that.

I think this is a very understandable POV.

Equally the reasons for the measures are obvious as well.

I'd rather people were capable of policing this themselves, but unfortunately the minority ruin it for the majority. Really in terms of the virus it hardly matters whether you exercise 2km or 10km from your house. But for the sake of clarity a 2km limit has been brought in.

Have seen a lot of people act that way alright, seems to mainly be people that should know better as well.

100%

Loads in the 55-65 age group are as bad as the under 20s. Loads in both groups think this is all a fuss over nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Military campaign against the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'll say it.
    I don't like that.

Arrested?

Don't be so hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There was a guy linked here the other day on twitter who had a comparison of the over all death rate against previous years. I just can't find it online again. Does anyone have a link to it or remember it? Appreciate it if you could

• Registered Users Posts: 81,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If we have no progress on this by say August is a referendum needed to be put to the people to ask should we go back to normal or continue lockdown as is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

From the irish times:

Proper order. Well done Simon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Are the HSE still testing if you have two or more symptoms?

Are they actually happy that there's asymptomatic people out there spreading it?

I don't understand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement