Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Greentopia wrote: »
    Where's your proof of this? anyone I know, friends and family and all my neighbours are abiding by the rules and staying in. Streets and towns are deserted.

I go to my local beach (yes it's within a 2km radius of me) for my walk and see very few people there. Your 40% figure doesn't stand up to what's happening around the country.

It was my own personal observations

I'll edit the post to reflect this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Level 42 wrote: »
    Absolutely making that up you haven't a clue I don't either

I have a daughter and sister in law in the thick of this in major hospitals and there are many people in ICU and in wards that are not going to make it. I'm not saying we're going to get huge numbers of deaths but the statement that today is the peak is just, unfortunately, not true. Deaths continue well after infection rates slow,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

deaglan1 wrote: »
    Today's Stats for Deaths Per One Million Population - make of it what you will.
    Deaths-per-1-M-population.png

Probably where we should be on the table. We have managed to flatten the initial part but we can expect a surge about a week from now. Remember there's different stages to this so a lot of people might appear to get better and then suddenly worsen and need icu help eg Johnson. I would be surprised if we didn't reach 50 deaths a day from this. There's a large number of asymptomatic spreaders out there we will never find, spreading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Naw, its more like 60% have copped the feck on and 40% still think they're absolutely bulletproof to all this

Have seen a lot of people act that way alright, seems to mainly be people that should know better as well.

Tandey wrote: »
    What about the full time dolers, what would you like to happen with them?

Yes! Lose their dole!! Those fecking dole scroungers with their BMWs and their holiday homes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Has Trump a briefing at 11pm our time again?

Maybe lash all our thoughts on it on the Trump/America thread? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113080207

These daily "Bit Of Everything, Be grand" threads are a messy read at times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

It was my own personal observations

I'll edit the post to reflect this

Where do you live that you think 40% of people are not abiding by the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

What was said?

One point was that they need to be really really accurate, otherwise you could be sending people who didnt have the virus back on the streets

What was said?

Basically if they are only 90% accurate you could be sending some people with the virus out into the public unknowingly. And it only takes 1 case to cause significant spread in for example a nursing home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Probably where we should be on the table. We have managed to flatten the initial part but we can expect a surge about a week from now. Remember there's different stages to this so a lot of people might appear to get better and then suddenly worsen and need icu help eg Johnson. I would be surprised if we didn't reach 50 deaths a day from this. There's a large number of asymptomatic spreaders out there we will never find, spreading this.

We are an island. We shouldn't be at 43.
    Yeah, those Cheltenham spreaders should be put on trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,859 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Boris was awake and cheerful as they claim he'd be on twitter without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Greentopia wrote: »
    Where's your proof of this? anyone I know, friends and family and all my neighbours are abiding by the rules and staying in. Streets and towns are deserted.

I go to my local beach (yes it's within a 2km radius of me) for my walk and see very few people there. Your 40% figure doesn't stand up to what's happening around the country.

Have you got the correct percentage figure of idiots in the country so?

Maybe lash all our thoughts on it on the Trump/America thread? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113080207

I smell a Beast

Seamai wrote: »
    And boy does that stuff stink.
    thanks off to do the clothes washing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I don't know about a "police permit", but permits are being used in France and Italy.

Greece too (I am from Greece, so get the news from my family).
    They have implemented a system where you need to fill a form and carry it with you or send a text message to a number and have the mobile phone with you. Only allowed out for shopping, medical appointments and personal exercise or walking your dog.
    Police presence everywhere and if you get caught being out with no preapproval or valid reason you pay a fine of 150 euros. This has been going out for more than 3 weeks now - my parents haven't been out of home since the 12th of March, my sister does all the shopping for them.

For Easter weekend (which is a week later than here) the plan is that the police will block all highways/motorways. In the vast majority of cases you have to use them and there are toll stations - so the plan is that police will be in the toll stations and turn everyone around.

Numbers of cases and deaths seem to have slow down (which could explain why Greece wasn't showing in the graph posted earlier with the deaths per million) which would suggest the restrictions work - I think though that they don't test as many people as in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'd be the last person to defend FG but will you ever feck off with that rubbish. They are doing their best just like the majority of us. These powers are needed because we have a certain percentage of absolute idiots who aren't capable of being team players.

Very true, and teamwork is the main thing that is going to get us out of this. Teamwork, observation of rules, social distancing etc and NOT being a selfish fûckwit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

With your line and tone and asking me do I understand repeatedly you are highlighting your own lack of understanding.

I'll be as brief as I can.I am not trying to confuse anything.I am just trying to highlight the backlog that had arisen and how it occured

The HSE as I have stated do NOT give out anywhere the exact number of test results they have completed per day or per week.

You are being deliberately disingenuous or you are uninformed, one or the other.This is the HSE wording on lab testing from 24 March "To date, 17,992 tests have been carried out in laboratories across the country, as of midnight last night.". To deduct the number of cases per week all one has to do is subtract that number from the following weeks number.

They give the amount of tests that have been completed...I.e.swabbed at test centres/hospitals.In the last week these TESTS totalled just over 12000.
    Again you are totally wrong HSE wording is "tests have been carried out in laboratories across the country, as of midnight last night.".These are the figures published weekly not swabbed.

It is now you are making the mistake.From this figure you are deducting the RESULTS received from the German labs of 6000 and deducting then that the HSE labs only provided 6000 RESULTS.

As I have repeatedly stated these German lab RESULTS were from TESTS done over a period of approximately 14 days and were the backlog of RESULTS from TESTS which had been included in weekly TEST figures in previous weeks.

To sum up simply owing to the time lag from TESTS to RESULTS you cannot deduct German RESULTS from weekly Irish TEST numbers and deduce that the difference is the weekly Irish RESULTS
    Please reread my numerous replies to you in light of the above.If you cannot understand I really can do no more for you.I have been more than patient.

My figures are correct you are making assumptions that are incorrect about what the HSE publish. They do not publish swab numbers they publish lab numbers.As I said they seem to have had lab results for about approx 896 per day average last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

screamer wrote: »
    Well, like any approach time and history can only judge that. Not all medical advisors agree with each other, and various countries have various approaches. Hence I am watching Sweden with curiosity and hope that their approach leads to as good an outcome as countries following the more restrictive approach, because perhaps we can get our lives back to normal quicker.

Sweden is the control group.

Seriously though I hope to god my friends living there are not going to pay the price for their strategy.

Agreed. Don't think I can read through 500 posts in a row saying Trump is deluded or equivalent. We know he's deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

I think there's going to be a looming mental health crisis off the back of all this. I don't suffer from anything personally but even I am starting to feel that black dog. Vulnerable people must really be feeling it now. It's bleak.

As a stay home dad to a near teenager with special needs ..I am definitely feeling the pressure now. My wife works in a job which is deemed necessary and is flat with work sometimes gone 12 hours ... our lads immune system is very bad so he has to stay in now... I was bringing him out for a quick walk before the full lockdown but have stopped now.
    I get out for a quick walk at 10pm for half an hour other than that I am inside .. I do the weeks shopping in Tesco as they have a dedicated time slot for carers, that’s the highlight of my week. No delivery slots available anywhere.
    That’s why when I hear of people not adhering to guidelines it makes me angry because I know that the more people who flaunt the rules the longer I will be inside..
    My son doesn’t understand why no school ,walks , McDonald’s or trips to the cinema and his meltdowns have increased as the days go by..
    I can feel my mental health starting to suffer and I would have always been a fairly positive lad and just get on with things. The pressure at times is suffocating ..

fritzelly wrote: »
    Still havent received that Covid booklet from the government - anyone else waiting?
    How am I supposed to know what to do...

no candle no tree no iodine no postcards no covid book. oh yes the emergency booklet!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maggie Benson

speckle wrote: »
    woohoo brillant. hopefully a game changer for testing in this country. Well done to the group.

It is indeed brilliant news but I'm amazed it's not a major taking point on boards.ie? Is it too good to be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

New Garda powers going to be discussed on Tonight Show on Virgin Media 1 after the ad break.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,352 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What was said?

If I remember correctly - if it has 90% accuracy and specificity it will identify 10 people who do have antibodies and 10 people it says do have them but there may only be 1 person that does

Something along those lines anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

From the irish times:

Gardaí will now have the power to arrest and detain those who breach the restrictions. This includes those found exercising beyond 2km from their homes or those travelling for non-essential reasons.

Convictions will result in a maximum sentence of six months in prison and a fine of €2,500.

Gardaí will also have the power to assist the HSE in detaining someone judged to be at risk of spreading the virus who refuses to self isolate. Those refusing to comply with such orders face up to three months in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

How are these people spreading it if the majority are complying with guidelines?

People seem to be desperate for a surge.

I'm sick of absolute ****e like this being posted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Only if the people who are travelling have it..... can people not be trusted to take some personal responsibility? We seem to distrust everyone in this country, bizarre attitude.

You can have it and not show symptoms. So can we all just stay the fcuk home.

New Garda powers going to be discussed on Tonight Show on Virgin Media 1 after the ad break.

One fabreze plug in should last a lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Frightening amount of deaths today, what is the maximum it will reach next week if it will be the peak?

Hang on I’ll ask my Magic 8-ball. WTF, like how would anyone, let alone anyone on boards, know?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement