Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

but it's not like with like as being said time and again you're 19 times more likely to catch the virus indoors rather than outdoors, that's why people are questioning the logic of yesterday's decisions...

Went to 1st round of our championship and there was no social distancing at all .
    Later that night local pub full to the rafters after match.

Im not saying this is going on all the time but it most definitely happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Went to 1st round of our championship and there was no social distancing at all .
    Later that night local pub full to the rafters after match.

Im not saying this is going on all the time but it most definitely happening.
    well the pub aspect will happen regardless, especially now with pubs showing the games on streams and no spectators at all

So at an underage blitz of they go ahead instead of parents been on the sidelines they'll be car by car on the road outside and go up to the nearby petrol station for a coffee...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

While the meat plants are no angels, they're not 100% to blame. A friend worked at one of the affected plants for 2 years and said that many of the workers voluntarily live 12 to a house and share 2 cars between the lot to save money. Their sole goal is to save as much money as possible in a few months or years to make a more comfortable living back home in eastern Europe. He never heard anything about the plant providing housing for any employees either, that seems to be more associated with the Brazilian contingent.

An employer can be as careful as they like (again, I'm not saying they were) but if your employees go home to live on top of each other with no distancing or precautions whatsoever what can you do?
    That is true but one thing you can't do is police people in their own homes. If they were living on top of each other before the pandemic, they've no choice but to do so during it. But as this is obviously well known to the management of the factories, this would have made it even more important for them to put proper measures in place. And it's not as though they weren't forewarned. Several localised outbreaks across Europe have been caused by meat factories.
    But instead, money mattered more to them and they weren't willing to cut back their shifts to slow down or possibly eliminate the outbreaks. And now wider society is paying the price. And, to be honest, I can't blame them as it's been proven that there have been no repercussions for them because of their actions.

well the pub aspect will happen regardless, especially now with pubs showing the games on streams and no spectators at all

So at an underage blitz of they go ahead instead of parents been on the sidelines they'll be car by car on the road outside and go up to the nearby petrol station for a coffee...

TBH I just dont think the whole GAA is feasible under the restrictions since March.

The government put into place about no spectators and to be honest it's up to the parents whether they want to sit side by side in car park or go get a coffee, but the logical thing is for the parents to either keep their distance or go home and come back, Go for a walk ?

People expect the Government to hold their hands on every little thing but can't people think for themselves and take some responsibility themselves.

TBH I just dont think the whole GAA is feasible under the restrictions since March.

The government put into place about no spectators and to be honest it's up to the parents whether they want to sit side by side in car park or go get a coffee, but the logical thing is for the parents to either keep their distance or go home and come back, Go for a walk ?

People expect the Government to hold their hands on every little thing but can't people think for themselves and take some responsibility themselves.
    But pubs, restaurants, mass and weddings of 50 people, international travel are feasible as per government guidelines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Missing the point. Not expecting the government to hold my hand. I have followed every precaution and rule and use common sense in all interactions. But the government telling me I can’t stand at the side of a pitch to watch my kids play an U12 game in a socially distant safe way and that this is somehow helping the cause. That’s the government stepping too far while at the same time not having the balls to deal with real problems like airports, quarantine, closing pubs and house parties.

If we are trying to stop this virus then they need to actually address the issues and stop pretending to take action with stupid moves like this one

slegs wrote: »
    Missing the point. Not expecting the government to hold my hand. I have followed every precaution and rule and use common sense in all interactions. But the government telling me I can’t stand at the side of a pitch to watch my kids play an U12 game in a socially distant safe way and that this is somehow helping the cause. That’s the government stepping too far while at the same time not having the balls to deal with real problems like airports, quarantine, closing pubs and house parties.

If we are trying to stop this virus then they need to actually address the issues and stop pretending to take action with stupid moves like this one

I'm not arguing with you and I completely understand where you are coming from . The one thing I miss this year more than anything is the hurling.

Yes you will do as asked but in fairness I have been to a good few practice matches and not a hope of people social distancing. We had a local team who had a lad tested positive but while waiting for results went to match in a car with team mate . Needless to say there have now been a few more cases in the area.

It's the stupid people like this who are making it difficult for everyone else who adheres to the rules

Yes, the government need to deal with the bigger issued of factories and accommodation but also need to be mindful of the economy.

More testing , better contact tracing and most importantly random workplace inspections

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

hmmm wrote: »
    The GAA is an important part of the country, but the statement was in poor form. I think the GAA should apologise and withdraw it, and someone from the government/public health should meet the GAA to give them more information on the background to the decision.

I also think the gaa should appologise as they think they are special.
    There is no need to explain as same rule for all field sports.
    I think the background to the decision is clear from the numbers in recent weeks.
    To ask the Government to produce evidence is absolutely crazy since the evidence is already there. I also do not agree with the camps but that decision is more up to the families of the children involved,

I'm not arguing with you and I completely understand where you are coming from . The one thing I miss this year more than anything is the hurling.

Yes you will do as asked but in fairness I have been to a good few practice matches and not a hope of people social distancing. We had a local team who had a lad tested positive but while waiting for results went to match in a car with team mate . Needless to say there have now been a few more cases in the area.

It's the stupid people like this who are making it difficult for everyone else who adheres to the rules

Yes, the government need to deal with the bigger issued of factories and accommodation but also need to be mindful of the economy.

More testing , better contact tracing and most importantly random workplace inspections

Agreed. If I were in government I would have legislation to deal with people who don't follow the rules like the lad you describe. He should be fined for not staying at home as per recommendations and fúcking it up for the rest of us. They are losing the good will of the general public by punishing everybody for the bad behaviour of a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I also think the gaa should appologise as they think they are special.
    There is no need to explain as same rule for all field sports.
    I think the background to the decision is clear from the numbers in recent weeks.
    To ask the Government to produce evidence is absolutely crazy since the evidence is already there. I also do not agree with the camps but that decision is more up to the families of the children involved,

Can you link to this evidence?

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    Agreed. If I were in government I would have legislation to deal with people who don't follow the rules like the lad you describe. He should be fined for not staying at home as per recommendations and fúcking it up for the rest of us. They are losing the good will of the general public by punishing everybody for the bad behaviour of a few.

The government need to take a hard line on anybody who doesnt self isolate while waiting on test results, on anyone flouting the rules.

On one hand people giving out the government arent doing enough and yet when they they do you have people saying the government won't tell me what to do !

People shouting for a lockdown should be very careful what they wish for.

Another lockdown could be just that step too far for this country

Our health system is not good enough for a pandemic and it is imperative that we get a handle on this virus before the winter months. People quoting statistics re cases / deaths etc need to look further down the line at what the government need to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

robbiezero wrote: »

The evidence that people can spread the virus?

Hurrache wrote: »
    The evidence that people can spread the virus?

The evidence that outdoor sports play a significant part in spreading the virus

Yes the number of cases in the last 2 weeks is the evidence...

The evidence that outdoor sports play a significant part in spreading the virus

People are still misunderstanding the reasoning. That's not the point, the point is that anywhere where there's a gathering of people increases the potential for community transmission.

Nobody yesterday said that sport increases the risk of transmission, significant or otherwise.

People are still misunderstanding the reasoning. That's not the point, the point is that anywhere where there's a gathering of people increases the potential for community transmission.

Nobody yesterday said that sport increases the risk of transmission, significant or otherwise.

So why are restaurants, hotels and pubs still open with 19 times the risk of transmission of outdoors?
    Mass and weddings allowed up to 50 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Finally someone who gets it. It's all about reducing the number of gatherings that take place. Sport is obviously the low hanging fruit as it is a purely discretionary activity so was going to be the first to experiencea row back in restrictions.

Comparison with weddings is a completely false equivalence and those that are making it are either intentionally stirring or are too thick to grasp the bigger picture.

So why are restaurants, hotels and pubs still open with 19 times the risk of transmission of outdoors?

Because they claim to have effective restrictions within them.

Weddings is an outlier though, I reckon it was a government decision to keep those numbers.

Its quite simple really, the licence trade generate quite a bit of revenue.
    The gaa are not big revenue generators.
    I am guessing same for Airline industry for all countries, when they travel the wheel keeps turning.
    I do not think the tax take from Sunday mass be significent...

Seems like complete nonsense to me especially if no evidence for tranmission related to it.
    But then what do I know, although I would be inclined to believe Prof Kingston Mills when he says that its confusing nonsense (Paraphrasing).

Thankfully most games I go to are on in St Annes Park so it won't affect me too much.

• Advertisement

That's not true. They made multiple references in the NPHET letter sent by Prof Glynn to the Government that there is evidence of transmission linked to sport. This direct comment from NPHET is whats driving the decision.

Seems very odd that they know this considering the contact tracing seems to be totally ineffective from all that's been covered on the topic. Very little reference in the letter to contact coming from abroad which I believe is because they aren't checking people coming from abroad. All the countries that have been successful to date have managed this vigorously at the airports and ports as the first barrier. We are doing little to nothing here.

Good for you if you think its fine to hit low hanging fruit like sport even if ineffective. I however believe this whole thing is going to be a very long haul and if the fight to contain this is going to be bearable we need to find a way of functioning including keeping sport on the agenda. Sport is a very positive physical and mental health outlet for many in a very difficult time.

The fact the taoiseach and acting CMO weren't aware the 200 limit included players and officials is quite alarming....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The fact the taoiseach and acting CMO weren't aware the 200 limit included players and officials is quite alarming....

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

but what about not giving their staff sick pay and giving staff paracetamol prior to having their temperature checked?

Contractors generally don't get sick pay

Contractors generally don't get sick pay

What about the latter of the two mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

What was the sarcastic quip?

Maybe sarcastic was the wrong description but it's having a dig at their reasoning and expertise for the decisions
    We demand you come in with your smoking gun evidence that contradicts our 'experts'. The reality is that their expert group came up with a raft of procedures and protocols to be adhered to but the reality on the ground is they'rs being ignored for the most part.

Look at the IRFU statement in comparison. Disappointed with the restrictions but understanding the need and giving solid advice to clubs and parents. No demands or foot stomping, just well considered advice.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/08/19/85318/

For underage, parents need to make their own decisions. If they feel the current arrangments are un suitable, unworkable, unfair or whatever they have the choice to withdraw their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Its mad, your suitcase could get checked at customs in the airport and you could get fined our whatever else for bringing in too many cigarettes.

But you could literally be bringing in covid in the exact same environment, and off on your merry way.

Yet it is outdoor sport that gets targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What about the latter of the two mentioned?

Workers taking paracetemol to bring their temperature down?

Its not a company policy, they likely took it on them selves.

As a contractor they can get paid through Latvia/Bulgaria and pay less tax, but give up things like sick pay. Its like this in all industries/.

But very off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

The GAA have nothing to apologise for. This was as good a day as has been seen in 6 months for sceptics of lockdown measures because for the first time, a big hitter has put up their hand to question the completely and utterly ludicrous measures that have torn this country, and others, apart in 2020. Those who denigrate people for questioning the measures against this not-especially-dangerous virus are simply not familiar with the latest data, or are so deeply embedded in belief system around Covid which has taken on quasi-religious characteristics. In the UK, the flu killed more people than Covid did in the first week of August. Over here, I’m not sure there has been more than a single death in the last week? Sure you can say what if your granny bla bla bla. That doesn’t wash anymore. If your life has been touched by Covid, that is sad for sure but it is also really unlucky given the chances of having lost a loved one are less than one third of one percent. Some cases, not many deaths – the net effect of this virus is notable only by its smallness and the entire country will pay for it for decades. Well done to the GAA, Covid is here to stay but our behaviours need to change in not accepting this ghastly “new normal”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There’s no argument to be had with you. You want to go to matches so anything that stops that is wrong. Other people want pubs so anything that stops that is wrong. We’re a selfish selfish country.

You have not responded to the statistics that prove that there is almost no chance of people under the age of 44 dying from the virus. That is the vast majority of people who are taking part in sport as players, mentors or spectators.

The 0.8% is even less when you exclude those with underlying conditions who are not going to be playing, and pretty unlikely to be mentoring or watching matches either.

Simply put, the statistics do not support a blanket lockdown, and certainly not restrictions on sports when pubs and hotels serving food are open, and at least one of the meat factories where the cluster that locked down three counties is re-opened while hundreds of thousands of people in Kildare, Laois and Offaly are still restricted!

It is a farce.

If GAA had the cojones, they would tell these people that they are going ahead with games as planned. And if trendy gastro pubs like the one owned by their friend can be open, so should the local pub with no food.

Advertisement