Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Admit it, you love this don’t you! Life’s far easier when decisions are made for you, not by you.

First you admit that restrictions have been and will continue to be implemented by the authorities due in large part to the actions of utter moronic imbeciles who in the midst of a global pandemic attend house parties, refuse to wear masks, ignore social distancing etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭robbiezero

First you admit that restrictions have been and will continue to be implemented due in large part to the actions of utter moronic imbeciles.

Bit harsh on meat factory workers and those in DP centers.

And of course mushroom factory workers

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

First you admit that restrictions have been and will continue to be implemented by the authorities due in large part to the actions of utter moronic imbeciles who in the midst of a global pandemic attend house parties, refuse to wear masks, ignore social distancing etc etc..

Is that a bribe?! Yes, I admit it. There is scant light at the end of this very long Covid tunnel and I can’t see life going back to the way it was for decades, if ever. Whether I think all of these measures are necessary is another matter entirely and I won’t get too much into that so as not to derail the thread, or to have too great a disagreement with you as I would guess you are at the other end of the lockdown spectrum to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Meanwhile in England the FA have issued guidelines for the limited return of fans at lower levels of the football pyramid, from Step 3 down, which i think is third tier of non league football, 15% of stadium capacity form Saturday, 30% from Sat Aug 30th. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

robbiezero wrote: »
    I'd imagine this lad knows what he is talking about

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1296093311132983299

He's a Professor of Immunology not Public Health. It's a bit like asking a carpenter his opinion on solving electrical problems.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile in England the FA have issued guidelines for the limited return of fans at lower levels of the football pyramid, from Step 3 down, which i think is third tier of non league football, 15% of stadium capacity form Saturday, 30% from Sat Aug 30th. Interesting.

More great news if true. I’m over and back to the UK myself due to work and I listen to most of the radio stations as podcasts as a way to stay informed. Around two months ago, I unsubscribed from all of them. The molly coddling and general all round passion for the lockdown measures became too frustrating for me so I shut myself off from the much of the media. Out of boredom I switched back on over the last few weeks and the shift in tone, from one of zealous passion for the lockdown, to one of cynicism and despondency at the ongoing needless measures has been profound. That is why the GAAs statement has lifted me up so much. It’s time to move on from the only-slightly-worse-than-flu virus and where better to start than sport?

More great news if true. I’m over and back to the UK myself due to work and I listen to most of the radio stations as podcasts as a way to stay informed. Around two months ago, I unsubscribed from all of them. The molly coddling and general all round passion for the lockdown measures became too frustrating for me so I shut myself off from the much of the media. Out of boredom I switched back on over the last few weeks and the shift in tone, from one of zealous passion for the lockdown, to one of cynicism and despondency at the ongoing needless measures has been profound. That is why the GAAs statement has lifted me up so much. It’s time to move on from the only-slightly-worse-than-flu virus and where better to start than sport?

Sport is unimportant in such a situation.

Sport is unimportant in such a situation.

To you

To you

To any grown up with a bit of sense.

To any grown up with a bit of sense.

....,,.and a propensity for wetting themselves

• Advertisement

cgc5483 wrote: »
    He's a Professor of Immunology not Public Health. It's a bit like asking a carpenter his opinion on solving electrical problems.

Oh. No wonder he is so confused then. Sher he wouldn't have a rashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Is that a bribe?! Yes, I admit it. There is scant light at the end of this very long Covid tunnel and I can’t see life going back to the way it was for decades, if ever. Whether I think all of these measures are necessary is another matter entirely and I won’t get too much into that so as not to derail the thread, or to have too great a disagreement with you as I would guess you are at the other end of the lockdown spectrum to me.
    Sport as it was pre-pandemic will not be returning to the way it was unless there is an effective vaccine that gets widespread up take.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Oh. No wonder he is so confused then. Sher he wouldn't have a rashers.

He actually wouldn't,no more than anyone else. I'm surprised he'd comment on something that he wouldn't have a professional understanding or all the facts surrounding the decision.

He actually wouldn't,no more than anyone else. I'm surprised he'd comment on something that he wouldn't have a professional understanding or all the facts surrounding the decision.

I'd say he understands it perfectly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

so myself who works in financial services would know as much as this guy on medicine, immunology, vaccines, virus etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Eamon Ryan claiming this morning as a defense for not having sufficient provision of buses for children to socially distance going to school was that "specific advise from NPHET only arrived yesterday". While the issue with sport capacities apparently surrounds shared transport with no social distancing.

Below article details conflicting allowances for non-sporting events where the limit is still 200 apparently. It also has two governmental departments directly contradicting each other on just how many people are permitted at indoor events.

https://amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/confusion-as-health-minister-claims-only-six-people-can-attend-indoor-concerts-39463086.html?__twitter_impression=true

Regardless of what side of the argument you are on, you should at least be able to understand why people are annoyed and confused by restrictions imposed yesterday.

I think the GAA were right to publicly question them given it seems to be a view shared by a lot of their membership judging by the commentary since.

Whether it makes a difference in the short term or not it's possible we will be faced with the same situation later in the year or next year. Perhaps their representations might be taken into account then.

Eamon Ryan claiming this morning as a defense for not having sufficient provision of buses for children to socially distance going to school was that "specific advise from NPHET only arrived yesterday". While the issue with sport capacities apparently surrounds shared transport with no social distancing.

Below article details conflicting allowances for non-sporting events where the limit is still 200 apparently. It also has two governmental departments directly contradicting each other on just how many people are permitted at indoor events.

https://amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/confusion-as-health-minister-claims-only-six-people-can-attend-indoor-concerts-39463086.html?__twitter_impression=true

Regardless of what side of the argument you are on, you should at least be able to understand why people are annoyed and confused by restrictions imposed yesterday.

I think the GAA were right to publicly question them given it seems to be a view shared by a lot of their membership judging by the commentary since.

Whether it makes a difference in the short term or not it's possible we will be faced with the same situation later in the year or next year. Perhaps their representations might be taken into account then.

Its a circus.
    GAA were dead right and they have almost certainly ensured that we won't be getting nonsense like this again about outdoor sports so very worthwhile.

Will be very interesting to see if any evidence forthcoming from NPHET, I imagine the GAA has a fairly good handle on cases related to GAA activity so must feel that they are on solid ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Donnelly seems not have a breeze about the actual restrictions.

Eh, you'd be like the Minister for fkn Health son :-)

When you see it in black and white: Up to 50 people allowed into a cinema and only 15 as spectators at outdoor sports you realise what an absurdity the whole thing is.

No doubt people here will defend that too because the sighuntests told them. Where is our George Orwell, or better still Flann O'Brien when we need them ...

so myself who works in financial services would know as much as this guy on medicine, immunology, vaccines, virus etc.

What a stupid statement, you're impossible to take seriously now....

He can offer as much insight on public health policy really as much as anyone with intelligence to understand and comprehend the publicly available information. If he cannot understand why the actions were taken it may be because the actions were taken based on information and understanding not in the public domain.

The professor is is one of immunology so I would expect he would have an expert level grasp on medicine, immunology, vaccines, virus etc. Unfortunately none of those fields are public health. Public health can be as much about behavioural science as it can be about virology. Neither of which, you'll notice is immunology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

He can offer as much insight on public health policy really as much as anyone with intelligence to understand and comprehend the publicly available information. If he cannot understand why the actions were taken it may be because the actions were taken based on information and understanding not in the public domain.

The professor is is one of immunology so I would expect he would have an expert level grasp on medicine, immunology, vaccines, virus etc. Unfortunately none of those fields are public health. Public health can be as much about behavioural science as it can be about virology. Neither of which, you'll notice is immunology.
    I think the reason he can't understand the actions is they don't make sense, maybe I'm living in another planet but I would hazzard a guess that people standing at the side of a field to watch a match is not as dangerous as a pub,restaurant, religious setting, poorly run meat factory...

• Advertisement

He’s right. You are hard to take seriously. If a person disagrees with you, you resort to insults. You don’t seem to have any wit or ability to take a stance without degenerating into infantile slurs. You should be ignored.

The restrictions have been introduced for two reasons which have been explained several times at this point: to reduce the overall number of gatherings, particularly those ones where contact tracing is impossible to carry out effectively. And 2. Distancing and the guidelines were simply not being observed before, during or after games. Anyone attending them (which includes myself) could see that plain as day.

If this guy or you can't understand the above, well then there is no helping him or you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Note

The thread is veering off the topic at hand.

Please stay on topic and cease veering into a non GAA related more generalised discussion of all matters Covid 19.

I point all posters in the direction of the Corona Virus Disease 2019 ( Covid 19 ) forum in Current Affairs/IMHO if interested in discussion of same.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1865

• Registered Users Posts: 38,092 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Im guessing the powers that be will decide by the end of this month will the Intercounty championships go ahead as planned

Exact venues and dates still havent been published so i'm too confident. Id love for them for happen, viewings figures and interest would be through the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'd imagine the chances of them going ahead are about the same chance as catching the virus: 0.6%. 160/1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Im guessing the powers that be will decide by the end of this month will the Intercounty championships go ahead as planned

Exact venues and dates still havent been published so i'm too confident. Id love for them for happen, viewings figures and interest would be through the roof

If the Championship season has to be played behind closed doors then I doubt it will go ahead at all. The outstanding League games that were suspended in March might possibly still be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Id think Stephen Donnelly is quite an anti GAA man anyways , seems to dismiss GAA as a culchie thing from his pad in Greystones Co Wicklow ( not a GAA stronghold)....

You way off the mark gaa is Dublin and a few others and has being for about 20 years...

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1160163/

Have to agree with Limerick manager John Kiely it would be a massive lift for everyone to have the championship even behind closed doors

I suppose it would still all go down to finances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/amp/1160163/

Have to agree with Limerick manager John Kiely it would be a massive lift for everyone to have the championship even behind closed doors

I suppose it would still all go down to finances

I'm not convinced that players will have an appetite for a winter championship behind closed doors. Hard enough to lift yourself for that one.

I'm not convinced that players will have an appetite for a winter championship behind closed doors. Hard enough to lift yourself for that one.

Never know players seem to be enjoying the club action and could be raring to go no matter what time of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

If its only chance to play then why wouldnt they?

Advertisement