Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,091 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm not convinced that players will have an appetite for a winter championship behind closed doors. Hard enough to lift yourself for that one.

Never know players seem to be enjoying the club action and could be raring to go no matter what time of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

If ye've tuned into what's going on with regards the confusion on limits for arts & entertainment performances (particularly theatre), looks like there's a fair chance it's going to be kept at 50 indoor and 200 outdoor.

I think there's a strong chance back track on sporting allowances will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If ye've tuned into what's going on with regards the confusion on limits for arts & entertainment performances (particularly theatre), looks like there's a fair chance it's going to be kept at 50 indoor and 200 outdoor.

I think there's a strong chance back track on sporting allowances will follow

A back track is only going to be possible if games organisers are going to start taking names and numbers for contact tracing or not permitting entry without the covid app on the phone and having an official to keep everyone apart and clear everyone away afterwards.

If games turn from an uncontrolled environment to a controlled one then there could be wriggle room and a row back.

Sporting bodies could agree to this but they would have to follow up with genuine enforcement, not the previous lip service.

A back track is only going to be possible if games organisers are going to start taking names and numbers for contact tracing or not permitting entry without the covid app on the phone and having an official to keep everyone apart and clear everyone away afterwards.

If games turn from an uncontrolled environment to a controlled one then there could be wriggle room and a row back.

Sporting bodies could agree to this but they would have to follow up with genuine enforcement, not the previous lip service.

In the Failte Ireland guidelines listed for restaraunts in June, the Appendix clarifies the distinction between controlled and uncontrolled environments. Stadiums are listed as controlled environments, rightly or wrongly.

They could say something like only venues that can restrict access and be ticket only are permitted to have crowds, and make an exemption for underage games so that one other member of a participants household can attend to enable a parent go to the game.

Rather than the Covid app, they could use the GAA self confirmed questionnaire I guess for people to confirm attendance if they wanted to go down that route. Covid supervisor would have a list of all names submitted on the day then.

In the Failte Ireland guidelines listed for restaraunts in June, the Appendix clarifies the distinction between controlled and uncontrolled environments. Stadiums are listed as controlled environments, rightly or wrongly.

They could say something like only venues that can restrict access and be ticket only are permitted to have crowds, and make an exemption for underage games so that one other member of a participants household can attend to enable a parent go to the game.

Rather than the Covid app, they could use the GAA self confirmed questionnaire I guess for people to confirm attendance if they wanted to go down that route. Covid supervisor would have a list of all names submitted on the day then.
    This is the kind of thinking the GAA needs to be engaging in, not taking pot shots at the dCMO.

As a member, I was deeply disappointed with their press release yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Why?
    They are taking a stand, something they never do.

Where is the evidence? The Catholic Church haven’t been questioned once about their exemption being made for mass. Where you essentially stand for 40 mins - 1 hour a few metres away from someone.

Where’s the evidence that attending matches has resulted in spectators contracting the virus?

They were 100% right and before now the only people calling this sh*tshow of a government out were Ryanair and the vintners association.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Why?
    They are taking a stand, something they never do.

Where is the evidence? The Catholic Church haven’t been questioned once about their exemption being made for mass. Where you essentially stand for 40 mins - 1 hour a few metres away from someone.

Where’s the evidence that attending matches has resulted in spectators contracting the virus?

They were 100% right and before now the only people calling this sh*tshow of a government out were Ryanair and the vintners association.

Why? Because it's sport, not life and death or even economically important - where a great number of livelihoods depend on there being spectators at games. It's a pastime, a leisure activity.

Churches, for the most part, have been implementing the anti covid measures effectively. It helps that these building tend to be large and people do segregate in them and wear face coverings. The priest does remind everyone present to not congregate outside and go home. It's almost the exact opposite of what has been happening at games.

They were absolutely wrong to call out a civil servant. If I were in the dept of health I'd be itching to press release back to the GAA images of the non existent distancing at games and telling them to get their house in order or there won't be games at all, let alone ones without spectators. Perhaps luckily for everyone, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Why? Because it's sport, not life and death or even economically important - where a great number of livelihoods depend on there being spectators at games. It's a pastime, a leisure activity.

Churches, for the most part, have been implementing the anti covid measures effectively. It helps that these building tend to be large and people do segregate in them and wear face coverings. The priest does remind everyone present to not congregate outside and go home. It's almost the exact opposite of what has been happening at games.

They were absolutely wrong to call out a civil servant. If I were in the dept of health I'd be itching to press release back to the GAA images of the non existent distancing at games and telling them to get their house in order or there won't be games at all, let alone ones without spectators. Perhaps luckily for everyone, I don't.

You truly are entranced by Covid lore aren’t you. I’m positive that you are experiencing some variant of Stockholm syndrome. The GAA has plenty of full time employees whose professional lives have been affected by this, coaches, development officers, ground staff etc. You are as well going to a church to pray for the passing of this crisis while the GAA make an actual stand against this ridiculous, ludicrous, disgraceful, absurd, illogical set of measures we’ve been subjected to. In a race to see who’ll be heard first, I’ll have my money on the GAA over your conversation with the lord.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    You truly are entranced by Covid lore aren’t you. I’m positive that you are experiencing some variant of Stockholm syndrome. The GAA has plenty of full time employees whose professional lives have been affected by this, coaches, development officers, ground staff etc. You are as well going to a church to pray for the passing of this crisis while the GAA make an actual stand against this ridiculous, ludicrous, disgraceful, absurd, illogical set of measures we’ve been subjected to. In a race to see who’ll be heard first, I’ll have my money on the GAA over your conversation with the lord.
    Mod:
    Reign in your posting style or you'll be threadbanned. Don't respond on thread.

Think people are losing the run of themselves over Glynn being mentioned in the press release. There was no personal insult there at all, he's the face of NPHET and is generally fielding questions about the advice twice a week in front of TV cameras. Saying "Dr Ronan Glynn and NPHET" isn't like they've called out some random civil servant.

I think the GAA have done an awful lot right, unfortunately with everything there can be outliers. All I can really speak of is what's happened in Waterford, and I think the response has been excellent and attendances have been controlled well. And communication has been very good, it was great to see them mention guidance about parents attending yesterday which was something neglected from the government advice.

After all that much is a child welfare issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There is far too much deference to doctors. People - in this case - the GAA - are perfect;y entitled to question them. Especially about matters that concerns things that they know far more about than Glynn or any Government minister.

On another note, from reading some of what basketball people have been saying, I suspect that the new decree will be revised.

They have pointed to the complete contradiction between the way their indoor sport is expected to operate in contrast to cinemas for example.

Should they be made sit on the bold step too?

The only revision they should be doing is restricting cinemas and theatres to match sport, not the other way around.

Think people are losing the run of themselves over Glynn being mentioned in the press release. There was no personal insult there at all, he's the face of NPHET and is generally fielding questions about the advice twice a week in front of TV cameras. Saying "Dr Ronan Glynn and NPHET" isn't like they've called out some random civil servant.

I think the GAA have done an awful lot right, unfortunately with everything there can be outliers. All I can really speak of is what's happened in Waterford, and I think the response has been excellent and attendances have been controlled well. And communication has been very good, it was great to see them mention guidance about parents attending yesterday which was something neglected from the government advice.

After all that much is a child welfare issue.

You are correct. The GAA have gone above and beyond to meet the government’s requirements up until now. I have no doubt some in the association often felt these measures to be unnecessary and excessive, yet they stayed admirably silent. As soon as the measure crossed the line between cautious to illogical, they’ve decide to speak -and rightfully so- because this not especially lethal virus can no longer be a ball and chain around our legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1296165049950765061?s=09

The man would hardly fill you with confidence🀦*♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

robbiezero wrote: »
    Its a circus.
    GAA were dead right and they have almost certainly ensured that we won't be getting nonsense like this again about outdoor sports so very worthwhile.

Will be very interesting to see if any evidence forthcoming from NPHET, I imagine the GAA has a fairly good handle on cases related to GAA activity so must feel that they are on solid ground.

I do not really understand this, i do understand the commercial aspect for all sport organizations.
    Are the gaa asking the Government to allow spectatoes at gaa matches and there will be no spectators at other outdoor sports.
    Surely if there is an aruement for this to happen it should have being done with gaa/rugby.soccer as a group.
    The same rule would have to be applied to all.

The argument for not accepting the new restrictions on GAA obviously applies to all other sports, but it is up to them to make the case.
    GAA can't claim to speak on their behalf.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The argument for not accepting the new restrictions on GAA obviously applies to all other sports, but it is up to them to make the case.
    GAA can't claim to speak on their behalf.

Surely they have the intelligence to know that the Government cannot make an exception for one sport, it would be discrimation and they end up in court.
    I am thinking the use of the word Evidence by the gaa not very wise as the fact that cases have being crazy for the last two weeks is the only evidence that matters.
    Personally i think it bad PR for gaa seeing all the Government support they have got for stadia etc...

The GAA is not asking for an exception for one sport.

The state is already discriminating with regard to the regulations - food pubs v non food pubs; outdoor team sports v horse racing, meat plants v the people of three counties and so on.

Indeed, I don't think the regulations are open to legal challenge and there has been at least one case that was thrown out. It is basically emergency law that is beyond normal appeal.

Government support for GAA and other sports is a red herring. GAA generates massive revenue throughout the years besides - as do other sports - providing incalculable social benefits. Unlike many NGOs which receive billions and provide very little other than jobs for their own employees for example.

I was not aware that there were other organizations looking for the same as gaa are now so i think a collective application be better
    I was also not aware the gaa provided employment as its amatuer and most clubs are registired charities.
    There are overpaid jobs in admin but most is unpaid volunteers.
    Horse racing has no spectators i think.
    They have to keep meat factories open, pubs are closed, the restaurants seem to be working well.
    I agree with you on social benefit but health comes first...

GAA activities are huge revenue stream, worth way more than what they receive.

If the state reverses the latest regulations then all team and outdoor sports will benefit.

Horse racing doesn't have spectators but the numbers attending any meeting are way higher than even the 200 limit that applied to other sports.

Horse racing should be allowed, but it is joke to claim that it is "indoor" while club games in Nowlan Park or Parnell or Thurles are outdoor or a LOI match!

Meat factories caused three counties to close through the way they are run. (And that's without getting into their wage and permit "irregularities" which SIPTU only woke up to, apparently, two weeks ago!) And now they are re-opened while everyone else is still in lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well our matches and training are going ahead as normal. Don't know what the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

arctictree wrote: »
    Well our matches and training are going ahead as normal. Don't know what the fuss is about.

What are ye doing with regards to numbers at training?

That’s great news. I think the worries are more about match attendance than anything else

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    That’s great news. I think the worries are more about match attendance than anything else

One parent per child for Juvenile matches. Don't know about Adult matches. Although we have two pitches so what happens when an Adult match on one pitch and a Juvenile match beside it? Are the Juvenile parents not allowed turn around?!

What are ye doing with regards to numbers at training?

County board recommend training split into groups of 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

One parent per child for Juvenile matches. Don't know about Adult matches. Although we have two pitches so what happens when an Adult match on one pitch and a Juvenile match beside it? Are the Juvenile parents not allowed turn around?!

Haha. We had training night and stayed to watch the end of a match and a different match after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

https://youtu.be/HXzol3sk5Gk

Just listen to the scenario in the 1st 90 seconds of the minor game last night.

U15 postponed in my county tonight as the coiste na og board want to get clarity around holding the games at local club venues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

Must be a very large premises if 60 parents were gathering in it and observing social distance. People need to take personal responsibility, which many have not been doing at matches to date. Ditto in social venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Bonniedog wrote: »
    GAA activities are huge revenue stream, worth way more than what they receive.

If the state reverses the latest regulations then all team and outdoor sports will benefit.

Horse racing doesn't have spectators but the numbers attending any meeting are way higher than even the 200 limit that applied to other sports.

Horse racing should be allowed, but it is joke to claim that it is "indoor" while club games in Nowlan Park or Parnell or Thurles are outdoor or a LOI match!

Meat factories caused three counties to close through the way they are run. (And that's without getting into their wage and permit "irregularities" which SIPTU only woke up to, apparently, two weeks ago!) And now they are re-opened while everyone else is still in lockdown.

That simply is not true, they have been highlighting this issue for some time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭robbiezero

County board recommend training split into groups of 15.

Saw a few teams doing that last night at their training up in the park.

Split into 2 groups of approx 15 and played against each other.

Advertisement