Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to the housing crisis ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Bowie wrote: »
    Imagine we never had social housing in Ireland.
    A few would have owned all houses. Like the way its turning.
    All the ones whinging about 'foreva' or 'free' houses would likely be tenants themselves. Think about all those who own homes that use to be social housing or grew up in former social housing, would that be the vast majority of Irish people?
    So now some don't need it they begrudge others.
    Empathy and decency lacking.

Ah it's the usual few suspects tbh who rage on about free houses etc...

You'd feel a bit sorry for them in truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It's a bit odd to see them paint sex workers as victims, considering they generally challenge Ruhama on that position.

as a group the swai are all over the place

at the exact same time its : sex workers don't make money, they're all exploited by pimps , then its sex workers are the primary bread winners and need to keep their families going then its the government needs to allocate tax money to help sex workers (which would necessitate tax increases) then its sex workers shouldn't be targeted by revenue because they're victims then its it should be illegal to buy sex and those buyers should be locked up but then the trade is vital to their income so should be allowed continue.

Its like they just want reparations tax free or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,607 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Same with the homeless crisis - did it just disappear?

Bowie wrote: »
    Imagine we never had social housing in Ireland.
    A few would have owned all houses. Like the way its turning.
    All the ones whinging about 'foreva' or 'free' houses would likely be tenants themselves. Think about all those who own homes that use to be social housing or grew up in former social housing, would that be the vast majority of Irish people?
    So now some don't need it they begrudge others.
    Empathy and decency lacking.

thats not whats happening though.

people who work are priced out of Dublin by the government and cluid competing for property to hand it to people who have no more claim to Dublin than their ma lived there, 62% of whome do not work and likely never will.

those same people face high taxation to pay for that 62% both directly in income tax and the increasing green agenda shunning people for not taking public transport that they have no access to. The same government builds ad buys more social housing for that 62% near public transport further pricing workers away from their commute.

its harder to buy than its ever been, and government policy actively encourages things like being a single mother in order to get one of these effectively free houses.

people are rightly angry both at the government for their policies that allow this and those who game the system to selfishly push those who pay for their lifestyle further and further away.

Many peoples parents and grandparents grew up in social housing, but that was a different time, 66% of people were living rurally and agriculture and local business made up a much heavier load of the work, demand is now urban focussed, jobs are much more centralised and those demanding social housing are demanding to be housed in the same areas , some selfishly hoping for a windfall if they were allowed to purchase out their property for a pittance like their grandparents did.

The social housing game completely changed at the end of the 70's / start of the 80's , the rise of single parent numbers and drugs flooding the shores completely changed the anti-social area and sense of community around social housing for good, the social housing street your and my grandad had a house on are a completely different ballgame to building a social estate now.

Ballymuns main issue wasn't services, it just happened to be the one on everyones mind when these two massive factors started to become commonplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Long_Wave wrote:
    You had Dick Boyd Barrett out calling for all building sites to be closed last week. What ever happened to the housing shortage emergency? Not a word about it since early February.

I think trying to save 1000s of lives comes before housing people. Building sites shut down for a month? So what? They have the option of not closing site down in July and August for holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Kivaro wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there is the conflation with the genuine people in need of homes and the Erica Fleming and Margaret Cash types. They are all piled in together in the discussion (deliberately by some) and apparently you are a Nazi if you point that out.

Absolutely and until they remove those scumbags and their likes from the figures there is no discussion to be had around it - it’s just wasters in hotels on our taxes waiting for a free house on our taxes as far as I’m concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Absolutely and until they remove those scumbags and their likes from the figures there is no discussion to be had around it - it’s just wasters in hotels on our taxes waiting for a free house on our taxes as far as I’m concerned.

The combination of deserted main streets and Gardaí on patrol tripping over themselves is proving a huge problem for small town drug dealers in particular.
    They thrive on being able to move about mingling with the decent people, meeting their customers while hiding in plain site as the squad car glides past pretending that they can’t see them.
    I had one of the top drug dealers in the county on the phone to me today hysterical about being arrested and strip searched the other night “and they only lifted me because they’ve nothing else to do cos lol the real criminals have disappeared” and how her human rights were violated and how she wanted to complain to GSOC etc
    They’ve been operating with impunity for so long and so completely that they no longer believe that what they’re doing is criminal. They already don’t acknowledge that there’s anything “wrong” in what their doing.....
    Same lady’s father told me without batting an eyelid that if they didn’t buy it off him they’d buy it off someone else and at least he didn’t do “credit” so no one ever got into debt...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Unfortunately, there is the conflation with the genuine people in need of homes and the Erica Fleming and Margaret Cash types. They are all piled in together in the discussion (deliberately by some) and apparently you are a Nazi if you point that out.

Au contraire, Margret Cash became a totem for the 'do nothing' brigade. it allowed them to start beating the drum that anyone speaking up about the perverse housing situation in the county must look act and sound like her, and is a feckless indolent. That's what's being deliberately peddled.

How many Margret Cashes are there, go on, tell me? I'd really love to know. Apparently it's everyone who has a problem with housing provision in Ireland, because she gets mentioned in literally every thread about the subject, despite usually having nothing to do with the topic on hand.

She's not responsible for the housing mess, runaway house.prices and spiv rental sector, that's for sure.

She's only useful for right wingers on a rager that want to shut down discussion. Free gaffes this, free gaffes that.

Blaze420 wrote: »

Luckily no one listens to what you're concerned about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Yurt! wrote: »
    Luckily no one listens to what you're concerned about.

I’m so hurt that you don’t care I forgot to give a **** *shrugs*. Keep playing the tiny violin for the likes of Maggie Cash, the majority know the real score with the homeless. You keep up the good fight though :)

• Advertisement

Au contraire, Margret Cash became a totem for the 'do nothing' brigade. it allowed them to start beating the drum that anyone speaking up about the perverse housing situation in the county must look act and sound like her, and is a feckless indolent. That's what's being deliberately peddled.

How many Margret Cashes are there, go on, tell me? I'd really love to know. Apparently it's everyone who has a problem with housing provision in Ireland, because she gets mentioned in literally every thread about the subject, despite usually having nothing to do with the topic on hand.

She's not responsible for the housing mess, runaway house.prices and spiv rental sector, that's for sure.

She's only useful for right wingers on a rager that want to shut down discussion. Free gaffes this, free gaffes that.

62% of social housing applicants have more in common with Margaret cash than they do with the taxpayer in the state. People have a right to be angry , she was propped up and used as a poster child by the home sweet home, Apollo house and other homeless movements until they realised she was the exact poison apple they had been shouting down the right for years claiming didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

62% of social housing applicants have more in common with Margaret cash than they do with the taxpayer in the state. People have a right to be angry , she was propped up and used as a poster child by the home sweet home, Apollo house and other homeless movements until they realised she was the exact poison apple they had been shouting down the right for years claiming didn't exist.

Part of the problem here is the threshold for social housing, which essentially excludes working couples because the bar is so low.

Part of the problem here is the threshold for social housing, which essentially excludes working couples because the bar is so low.

Agreed, working class couples who both actually work and delay having children are the biggest victims of the pool where they get routinely trumped by Margaret cash types. It unfortunately creates ballymun/darndale type scenarios where there is no balance in social tenants and you have an entire estate without a father or a job to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Mary Lou had a lovely selfie with her then the next week cut her loose.

Ah I love it:)

she turned from PbP poster victim to right wing bad example overnight after the pennies theft court case. Same with John Connors blaming the government for those carrickmines deaths after it emerged it was drug addict travellers and an illegal esb hookup caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

So did Miriam o callaghan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Truly bizarre that we have a poster on here claiming that it's all a right-wing conspiracy and that Margaret Cash is just an anomaly.

I would imagine that every single one of us, well those of us who live in the real world, we know of at least 10 Margaret Cash types who are acting similarly in our localities. Not only are they getting free houses (with any payments made by them being supplied by the tax payer), but they are also claiming disability or lone-parent allowances etc., which is a slap in the face to their neighbours in the estate who work and/or contribute to society in other ways.

Truly bizarre that we have a poster on here claiming that it's all a right-wing conspiracy and that Margaret Cash is just an anomaly.

I would imagine that every single one of us, well those of us who live in the real world, we know of at least 10 Margaret Cash types who are acting similarly in our localities. Not only are they getting free houses (with any payments made by them being supplied by the tax payer), but they are also claiming disability or lone-parent allowances etc., which is a slap in the face to their neighbours in the estate who work and/or contribute to society in other ways.

if everyone is honest about it , be they living in social housing or not, they all know at least a handful of those types, even if its just from seeing them down the pub or strolling round the town fag in hand at 11am on a weekday. To pretend they don't exist or they are edge cases is just a lying to themselves.

she turned from PbP poster victim to right wing bad example overnight after the pennies theft court case. Same with John Connors blaming the government for those carrickmines deaths after it emerged it was drug addict travellers and an illegal esb hookup caused it.

Has there ever been a left wing cause celebre that wasn't later revealed to be, at the very least, a questionable character?

- Margaret Cash. Burglary accomplice, shoplifter.

- Erica Fleming. Turned down three housing offers to squat in a hotel until something ideal came along. Apparently could have easily lived with her parents during this time but chose not to.

- Ibrahim Halawa. Exposed for having lied regarding almost every aspect of his arrest. Posted some wacky religious stuff on his Facebook.

- Dead homeless man near Grafton St. Male model, gent, convicted rapist.

- Joe Loughnane. Not so much a cause celebre as a representative of the movement, but an utter cock of a man who trundled along unopposed until he got found out for aggression to some other leftie bint.

- Terry McMahon. Again not a cause celbre as such, but was cannibalised by the movement for some off colour remarks. John Connors got blacklisted by them when they realised he was anti abortion.

Amazingly I'm probably missing some. The left couldn't spell due diligence let alone practice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has there ever been a left wing cause celebre that wasn't later revealed to be, at the very least, a questionable character?

- Erica Fleming. Turned down three housing offers to squat in a hotel until something ideal came along. Apparently could have easily lived with her parents during this time but chose not to.

- Ibrahim Halawa. Exposed for having lied regarding almost every aspect of his arrest. Posted some wacky religious stuff on his Facebook.

- Joe Loughnane. Not so much a cause celebre as a representative of the movement, but an utter cock of a man who trundled along unopposed until he got found out for aggression to some other leftie bint.

- Terry McMahon. Again not a cause celbre as such, but was cannibalised by the movement for some off colour remarks. John Connors got blacklisted by them when they realised he was anti abortion.

Amazingly I'm probably missing some. The left couldn't spell due diligence let alone practice it.

You forgot to add that once she got her forever home, she was online inside the next couple of weeks complaining about the quality of her pvc windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

ELM327 wrote: »
    There was no housing crisis.
    The need for a house for free beside mummy was eradicated when Jacinta realised she could live with mummy

But she still wants her fovea home when this is over.

To thine own self be true

NIMAN wrote: »
    You forgot to add that once she got her forever home, she was online inside the next couple of weeks complaining about the quality of her pvc windows.

I should even wonder about the "not living with parents" bit. Not her maybe, but I have heard that a great deal of people "living" in hotels sign in and out at the correct time of day but stay the night in the family home. The hotel doesn't care, they get paid and tbh they'd sooner not have some of these types residing there.

Margret Cash, free gaffes, Margret Cash, free gaffes. Some people are just simpletons and just love an internet rager because they feel bad about themselves.

Most, of not all of that, has sweet f all to do with housing unaffordability in this country.

You wont be able to pin what comes next on the left, though I'm sure you'll give it a try.

if everyone is honest about it , be they living in social housing or not, they all know at least a handful of those types, even if its just from seeing them down the pub or strolling round the town fag in hand at 11am on a weekday. To pretend they don't exist or they are edge cases is just a lying to themselves.

Pick a developed country and you have these people. Since the 80s,The Tory party has dined out on the fantasy that these people are anything other than 2-3 percent of the population. It's just a Daily Mail fever-dream you have day after day. We're among the most productive labour forces on the planet, yet housing got out of control because of interest groups, and you've been coached to think it's because of Margret Cash. Engage your brain.

Get a grip, you're justifying sh*t policy and **** outcomes for working people because you know someone who wears a tracksuit and is lazy.

What's that got to do with the fact working people pay through the nose for rent and property went on another celtic tiger upward spiral? F all that's what.

You wont be able to pin what comes next on the left, though I'm sure you'll give it a try.

Given we are at the precipice of an extraordinary welfare bill, it is probably time to reflect that we shouldn't have thrown billions of euro at lefty favourites like dole lifers (100,000 on 200 per week= over 1 billion per annum) direct provision or Syrian refugee resettlement (4000 refugees, must equate to circa 1000 homes built, bought or long term rented by the state at enormous cost)

Margret Cash, free gaffes, Margret Cash, free gaffes. Some people are just simpletons and just love an internet rager because they feel bad about themselves.

you and your internet ragers

do you read your own bilious stuff, do you.

even just this thread?

plenty of valid points made and you throwing your little wobbler.

grand and all, whatever, but the idea that you're not the left wing finger-in-the-ear version of the clichéd ranter you complain of on the other side of the spectrum is kinda transparently false.

not all social housing applicants are margaret cash but there's this idea shes unfairly held up as an example of everything wrong with the "housing crisis" coverage and analysis. theres nothing unfair about it and the politicians, media, social media boosters et al that were happy to make her a three day story should have a better deflection technique now than disowning her.

Given we are at the precipice of an extraordinary welfare bill, it is probably time to reflect that we shouldn't have thrown billions of euro at lefty favourites like dole lifers (100,000 on 200 per week= over 1 billion per annum) direct provision or Syrian refugee resettlement (4000 refugees, must equate to circa 1000 homes built, bought or long term rented by the state at enormous cost)

You better equip yourself for the fact that an entirely new economic model completely divorced from your Thatcherite point of view will need be constructed from scratch if this stretches past the summer.

Lol, 1 billion p/a, chump change. It was never all that much to begin with in the grand scheme of things and will look like a positively cute figure when you'll look back after the next 5 years. Seriously, get the brainbox going.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Long_Wave wrote: »
    If anything the Coronavirus should have made the housing crisis a hell of a lot worse because of children living in B&Bs being off school etc

This chap has soul stone

https://mobile.twitter.com/EllisWage

• Advertisement

not all social housing applicants are margaret cash but there's this idea shes unfairly held up as an example of everything wrong with the "housing crisis" coverage and analysis. theres nothing unfair about it and the politicians, media, social media boosters et al that were happy to make her a three day story should have a better deflection technique now than disowning her.

Margaret Cash and her ilk don't even make up one percent of the problems that led us down the merry road to the housing crisis.

She's not a fabrication, but she's a complete exaggeration as to cause and effect with the crisis, and you lot swallow the pie whole. Many people are very easily manipulated indeed.

Edit: And btw, I wouldn't characterise any of my posts in this thread as bilious. I'm combative yes, and do take a degree of pleasure in nuking posters that approach a very painful issue for many people with a sneer and red-top nonsense instead of using their noggin.

Those that know me in real life know I'm not particularly left wing, and if you'd care to read my posting history you'd know that. But whatever.

Advertisement