Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to the housing crisis ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

robinbird wrote: »
    Eoghan Murphy has already paid landlords to take 350 dublin airbnbs off the rental market before they can negatively affect supply and rent levels.
    Hubertj wrote: »
    I didn’t read that anywhere? Can you send a link as it sounds strange. Where are the 350 units? How would 350 units negatively impact supply and rent levels in a country of about 5M people?
    Blaze420 wrote: »
    That’s because it’s ****ing nonsense that belongs on Facebook.

They kept it quiet. After concerns were expressed by landlords that the large number of apartments coming on the rental market as a result of the airbnb collapse would lead to a reduction in rent levels, Eoghan Murphy instructed Dublin City Council to acquire as many airbnb leases as possible as a matter of urgency.

Brendan Kenny, Assistant Chief Executive of Dublin City Council told Dublin city councillors at the beginning of April that they had leased 357 properties , saying the acquisitions were necessary as the result of "very significant changes in the private property market."

Correction. They paid AirBnB landlords to take 160 self-contained apartments off the rental market. They also gave a bit of a dig out to favoured hotels by paying for 197 ensuite hotel rooms indefinitely.

Why do you think so many of the high end apartments that were available at the end of March disappeared so suddenly for DAFT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

robinbird wrote: »
    They kept it quiet. After concerns were expressed by landlords that the large number of apartments coming on the rental market as a result of the airbnb collapse would lead to a reduction in rent levels, Eoghan Murphy instructed Dublin City Council to acquire as many airbnb leases as possible as a matter of urgency.

Brendan Kenny, Assistant Chief Executive of Dublin City Council told Dublin city councillors at the beginning of April that they had leased 357 properties , saying the acquisitions were necessary as the result of "very significant changes in the private property market."

Ah ok, that explains things. You're a liar. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We still have a housing crisis. It's just that we are in the middle of a covd lock down. And facing a economic crisis
    When the lock down is over many small shops will close down Eg many shops cafes rely on tourism. I don't think many people will be coming to Ireland for the next year
    Maybe rents will fall as more air n b units are on the market. I I read dublin city council took out a long lease on a new apartment block 200plus units.
    People are still living in hotels. With children. The new government is saying in theory they will in invest more in social housing
    Its just right now most of the news is about covd etc
    People paying high rents that can't afford to save a deposit for a house is part of the housing crisis
    Eg we need more housing for people on an average wage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

Gatling wrote: »
    I see during the week the headcount for rough sleepers was only 25 in Dublin ,

Which of the 150 homeless charities is responsible for the success?
    What will they all do now to justify their existence and positions?
    Is it time for sector consolidation? Focus to take over some of the smaller ones with a view to maintaining their market leadership?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

sf are perfectly fine, the big scarey bogy man that they are claimed to be does not exist, it's fiction and enough people know this at this stage hence the amount who voted for them and will do so again as they know there is nothing to fear from an sf government.

Years ago the gullible were taken in by the quack doctors and the snake-oil salesmen. America has its TV evangelists promising a cure-all if you send in a few dollars so they can buy their private jets, we have our equivalent, promising free houses if send them your vote, when all they are looking for is a unified Ireland that's going to cost us a lot more to run any number of private jets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Years ago the gullible were taken in by the quack doctors and the snake-oil salesmen. America has its TV evangelists promising a cure-all if you send in a few dollars so they can buy their private jets, we have our equivalent, promising free houses if send them your vote, when all they are looking for is a unified Ireland that's going to cost us a lot more to run any number of private jets.

well the sf i voted for certainly isn't promising free houses for anyone as there is no such thing as a free house.
    a reunified ireland will cost us a bit more to run yes but it will be affordable.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Will it cost more than the one billion euro a year that we are currently handing over to private landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

But is that really the case?

The British subvention is now well below the often aired 12 billion
    For 2017-18, the ONS state that £26.463bn was spent in the north of Ireland, while £17.3bn was raised in taxes.
    Some would do simple arithmetic and than make the claim the claim that the British subvention stands at £9 billion

But its is not as simple as that. Within this is £3.4bn paid out in pensions. The British state should retain responsibility for in the event of Irish unity, as citizens have paid for them through a lifetime of hard work, tax, and national insurance from which Britain has benefited.
    Currently the British government is in control of the pension fund that will make these pension payments having collected contributions throughout the lifetime of those currently in receipt of a pension or those that will draw a pension in the future.
    Obviously the British government will have to face a choice. They will either have to continue to be responsible for the payment of these pensions or transfer that portion of the national fund held by the British government to the Irish government. Either way that 9 billion now drops by 3.4 billion to 5.6 billion.

Then you have what the british government terms as ‘Total Non-identifiable Expenditure’
    ‘Total Non-identifiable Expenditure’ is money spent directly by the British government in Westminster on British government priorities. The north does not spend this, but it receives a bill based on population share. In large part, these priorities are funding the British army (costing the north £1.1bn each year) and paying down Britain’s large national debt (which costs £1.3bn a year). A staggering 85% of the non-identifiable spending is on these two items alone, with the rest funding things like the British royal family, palaces, and military museums.The net Total Non-identifiable Expenditure (when EU contributions of £549 million are factored in) amounts to £2.173bn.
    The deficit is now down a further 2 billion to 3.6 billion

Next to be considered is what appears on the Northern Ireland debit sheet is the £679m in ‘Total Outside the UK’ spending. This relates to spending decisions made by the British government in London on their international priorities, over which the north has no say, and will be totally irrelevant if a United Ireland came into being.
    So now the deficit is down from 3.6 billion to 3 billion.

Finally corporation tax receipts means that some £500m extra is raised in corporate tax which is not attributed to the North’s finances. These go straight to Westminster and are never returned to Northern Ireland.
    The 3 billion deficit is now reduced to 2.5 billion

So is there a deficit, yes no one would deny that, but it is not even close to what many claim.

Obviously there would be further savings once the various government departments, education systems and other state functions were merged.

The real cost of incorporating Northern Ireland into a United Ireland is not as significant as many portray.
    Significant funding or aid for this deficit and the process of absorbing Northern Ireland, merging state bodies, educations systems and policing will almost certainly come from the EU and the US as this process is likely to take many years.

The reality is A United Ireland is perfectly affordable if we wanted it and equally as important, if the people of Northern Ireland wanted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

efanton wrote: »
    But is that really the case?

The British subvention is now well below the often aired 12 billion
    For 2017-18, the ONS state that £26.463bn was spent in the north of Ireland, while £17.3bn was raised in taxes.
    Some would do simple arithmetic and than make the claim the claim that the British subvention stands at £9 billion

But its is not as simple as that. Within this is £3.4bn paid out in pensions. The British state should retain responsibility for in the event of Irish unity, as citizens have paid for them through a lifetime of hard work, tax, and national insurance from which Britain has benefited.

You make good points but do you really think the British would agree to this? I mean, why would they?

You make good points but do you really think the British would agree to this? I mean, why would they?

They would look like complete bastards not to. That money doesn't belong to them. Would they risk their reputation, or the inevitable international criticism ?

They could refuse to transfers the funds to the Irish government, after all that's likely to be an extremely hefty sum, and decide that they will continue to make pension payments for those already drawing a pension.

I really cant see them even attempting to make a cash grab of existing pension funds and then refuse to honour payment of pensions, the political and international backlash just wouldn't warrant such a move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

They would look like complete bastards not to. That money doesn't belong to them. Would they risk their reputation, or the inevitable international criticism ?

They could refuse to transfers the funds to the Irish government, after all that's likely to be an extremely hefty sum, and decide that they will continue to make pension payments for those already drawing a pension.

I really cant see them even attempting to make a cash grab of existing pension funds and then refuse to honour payment of pensions, the political and international backlash just wouldn't warrant such a move.

I think they would yes. They will be huge resentment by some over there if a united Ireland comes about. It may not be legal to refuse to pay however (I'm not sure), but I don't think it's a given that they'd accept to pay the pensions.

I think they would yes. They will be huge resentment by some over there if a united Ireland comes about. It may not be legal to refuse to pay however (I'm not sure), but I don't think it's a given that they'd accept to pay the pensions.

I would imagine there would be some legal impetus to them either transferring the fund to the Irish government or them continuing to pay those pensions already being drawn. I am neither a legal expert nor a expert on treaties between states so I would leave that to those that are.

However getting to back to the point of my initial post, its clear that 'we cant afford it' is not a valid argument when talking about a United Ireland.
    Personally I cant see it happening in the next 15 years, although I do admit to hoping to see a United Ireland in my lifetime. In the meantime a lot of thing would need to happen before a poll could even take place. It would have to be clear that not only a majority in Northern Ireland are in favour but those that currently consider themselves to being Unionists are also by and large in favour.

But its a similar issue to the housing crisis. We have been told we cant afford it.If you had asked a year ago could the country afford or even deal with the current virus outbreak and most would have said no. Yet when faced with an imminent crisis government always find a way to deal with them when forced too.

Personally I think the government are going to have to find a way to build substantial amounts of housing. I would hope this would be a mixture of social housing and cheap affordable housing for those that currently do not qualify for a mortgage have the opportunity to buy their own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The reality is A United Ireland is perfectly affordable if we wanted it and equally as important, if the people of Northern Ireland wanted it.

Hmmm, now I do not want to drag this off-topic, but this is just wrong.
    The fact that you say with a straight face that its 'affordable' so long as the EU and Americans stump up the cash says it all.

In the short term, there will be significant costs to a UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

markodaly wrote: »
    Hmmm, now I do not want to drag this off-topic, but this is just wrong.
    The fact that you say with a straight face that its 'affordable' so long as the EU and Americans stump up the cash says it all.

In the short term, there will be significant costs to a UI.

What has a United ireland got to do with the “housing crisis”?

I see during the week the headcount for rough sleepers was only 25 in Dublin ,

As I suspected it depends on who is doing the head count.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-people-on-the-streets-in-dublin-as-coronavirus-lockdown-hits-995279.html

Yesterday evening 89 homeless were helped just on Dublin North-side alone.
    So it seems the homeless numbers in Dublin is not at an all time low as many commentators have claimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Has coronavirus affected mental dublin rents yet? Or do ye still have to pay out through the nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

All around the world less people are going to A&E/hospital appointments. less people are actively looking for flats/houses to buy or rent. Everything is on hold as people fear for their lives and thankfully adhere to instruction from the medical community.

We could just as easily argue people have lost interest in going to the Cinema because nobody is going currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Bowie wrote: »
    All around the world less people are going to A&E/hospital appointments. less people are actively looking for flats/houses to buy or rent. Everything is on hold as people fear for their lives and thankfully adhere to instruction from the medical community.

We could just as easily argue people have lost interest in going to the Cinema because nobody is going currently.

This. Any argument that the housing crisis has been solved by Coronavirus is idiotic. Young adults who can't move out of the family home due to insane rents are staying there and not actively seeking their own accommodation right now because we're under quarantine and therefore viewing and/or moving to their own place would be impossible. This problem is waiting to smack the next government in the face as soon as the crisis is over if they're not prepared for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Rents are falling by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As I suspected it depends on who is doing the head count.

Yesterday evening 89 homeless were helped just on Dublin North-side alone.

The article doesn't say 89 at all

Mr Drummond said: “We reached an average of around 50 people tonight.”

Reached an average of around 50 ,wait what an average of around not an actual figure but yet you claimed 89 homeless were helped on the Northside alone ,

Certainly doesn't add up

• Advertisement

The article doesn't say 89 at all

Mr Drummond said: “We reached an average of around 50 people tonight.”

Reached an average of around 50 ,wait what an average of around not an actual figure but yet you claimed 89 homeless were helped on the Northside alone ,

Certainly doesn't add up

Read it again. there was a twitter post in the middle of that article.

You do understand what an average is dont you? Some nights it will be higher others lower. That particular night it was higher at 89.

markodaly wrote: »
    Rents are falling by the way...

Because there's been a drop in demand right now for the reason I just outlined. As soon as quarantine is over, they're going to shoot right back up because we still won't have enough units.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Because there's been a drop in demand right now for the reason I just outlined. As soon as quarantine is over, they're going to shoot right back up because we still won't have enough units.

I do hope your right.

I'm working subcontracting for a MNC with a large project underway. We needed to take on a very large number of staff including bringing in engineers from overseas next year.

No decisions taken yet but I cannot see how this is now going to happen unless this mess gets cleaned up fast. I am quite worried by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

No they won’t because the money won’t be there for it. We have an unprecedented crisis ongoing at the moment, building houses or foreva homes won’t even be looked at again until at least 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

Read it again. there was a twitter post in the middle of that article.

You do understand what an average is dont you? Some nights it will be higher others lower. That particular night it was higher at 89.

You're right, and I agree homelessness is a serious issue. But they say they assisted 89. Not that there were 89 sleeping on the street.

They also give to those who aren't on the streets. (And these vulnerable people should be looked after too)

However, I'm skeptical of ICHH's agenda. Not the volunteers. Can't stress enough the good these volunteers do, and give up their time.

But there are certain people within it who aren't volunteers, periodically releasing press articles and seeking more funding IMHO. It's not all purely in the interests of the homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Get Real wrote: »
    You're right, and I agree homelessness is a serious issue. But they say they assisted 89. Not that there were 89 sleeping on the street.

They also give to those who aren't on the streets. (And these vulnerable people should be looked after too)

However, I'm skeptical of ICHH's agenda. Not the volunteers. Can't stress enough the good these volunteers do, and give up their time.

But there are certain people within it who aren't volunteers, periodically releasing press articles and seeking more funding IMHO. It's not all purely in the interests of the homeless.

There's the issue of the virus always being around if we ignore sections of society like the homeless rough/hostel sleepers. So even for the average FG voter that should be a concern.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    No they won’t because the money won’t be there for it. We have an unprecedented crisis ongoing at the moment, building houses or foreva homes won’t even be looked at again until at least 2022

That's exactly what I'm saying, which means that unfortunately prices and rents are going to shoot through the f*cking roof once again. We need more housing right now and once this crisis is over there'll be yet another new generation looking to move out and start their own lives, yet there'll have been a gigantic pause in the entire construction sector, both state funded and private. The result of this is almost inevitably going to be yet another clusterf*ck of obscenely high opportunistic rents and house prices.

There never was a housing crisis. It was an entitlement culture. Personal responsibility gone out the window crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

There never was a housing crisis. It was an entitlement culture. Personal responsibility gone out the window crisis.

Total BS. I rented for years while paying my own way. Have you tried to rent anywhere around Dublin city in the fast few years?

INSANE prices are (well probably were) being charged.

• Advertisement

Bullsh!t. Many hard working, full time career folk I know who finished college during the recession had to move back in with their families at the tail ends of their twenties just in the last two years, because from around early 2018 onwards, rents hyperinflated to utterly indefensible levels and people's lives started being utterly decimated as a result. That cohort of folks played a large part in driving the results of the most recent general election.

Somebody being forced to forgo their independence because their rent has increased by four figure sums in a short space of time while their take home pay has not cannot be accused of being responsible for the mess they are in. It's a bullsh!t argument. Those who are choosing to fleece people are responsible for this crisis, not the people being fleeced and being forced out of their homes as a result.

Advertisement