Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes: homemade
    GT89 wrote: »
    Whether it be fear of getting the virus or fear of spreading it it's all fear at end at the end of the day . The masks serve a constant reminder of this fear. Maybe if people just forget about the virus and stop thinking about it the fear would disappear. The masks serve as a constant reminder of this fear.

Do you even read what you post? That's absurd. Forget about it and it will go away. Ostriches have a better grasp on reality.

I feel you're not being true to yourself here and just trying to spark 'debate'.

This is where the IGNORE feature needs to be employed by all other posters. You can discuss pro and cons of anything but you can't discuss anything when someone deliberately takes the contrary line just for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

No: other
    Some people really do put a lot of faith in masks saying stuff like virus would spread like wildfire if we weren't wearing them when really they are making **** all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Its the spurious connections of evidence that people are making and the absolute bonkers disproportionality of some our actions that gets people riled up. Its been a feature of our reaction to covid from day one. Someone said elsewhere around here we're burning down the barn to kill a spider.

And led by a months long media fear campaign the majority of people fave fully jumped on that and lost all sense of reality with regards to risk levels. And because they feel they represent the mainstream opinion they dont think they could possible be wrong or even a little over the top and they have delegated critical thinking to the likes of George Lee. And they scrape the internet for every morsel of info out there that talks this virus up permanently reminding themselves how right they are and so we ended up in this self perpetuating cycle of fear and overreaction.

Every info that talks this virus up has dozens of 'possible' and' may' and 'can' in it but will be taken as gospel. Anything that talks about sober assessment and rationale will have to be peer reviewed and certified and whatnot. And if that isn't enough then we just decide 'ah you cant believe those guys anyway' or they must have an agenda.

I can understand it to some degree. Nobody wants to put grannie at risk and so the people who call for sober risk assessments and rationale appear to them callous and cold and heartless. But when we look back at this in a couple of years it will be one massive WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yes: surgical
    Its the spurious connections of evidence that people are making and the absolute bonkers disproportionality of some our actions that gets people riled up. Its been a feature of our reaction to covid from day one. Someone said elsewhere around here we're burning down the barn to kill a spider.

And led by a months long media fear campaign the majority of people fave fully jumped on that and lost all sense of reality with regards to risk levels. And because they feel they represent the mainstream opinion they dont think they could possible be wrong or even a little over the top and they have delegated critical thinking to the likes of George Lee. And they scrape the internet for every morsel of info out there that talks this virus up permanently reminding themselves how right they are and so we ended up in this self perpetuating cycle of fear and overreaction.

Every info that talks this virus up has dozens of 'possible' and' may' and 'can' in it but will be taken as gospel. Anything that talks about sober assessment and rationale will have to be peer reviewed and certified and whatnot. And if that isn't enough then we just decide 'ah you cant believe those guys anyway' or they must have an agenda.

I can understand it to some degree. Nobody wants to put grannie at risk and so the people who call for sober risk assessments and rationale appear to them callous and cold and heartless. But when we look back at this in a couple of years it will be one massive WTF.

Did you ever have a look at how they managed the virus in Hong Kong or Taiwan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Yes: to protect myself and others
    MadYaker wrote: »
    Did you ever have a look at how they managed the virus in Hong Kong or Taiwan?
    It's been said in this thread that Hong Kongers are "compliant", which is why they have no problems with masks. Which after the past 18 months is an absolutely ridiculous thing to say about Hong Kongers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

when we look back at this in a couple of years it will be one massive WTF.

The amount of quackery some of the posters are spouting to justify not wearing a mask is already one massive WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

patnor1011 wrote: »
    And that is what I said. If you feel vulnerable take all precautions. Masks in a shops maybe a good call yet we somehow survived without it for over 6 months without any outbreaks in shopping centres or something like that.
    It is absurd that we still pretend that what is going on is the right and the only way when we were proven otherwise. Response was based on wrong predictions and instead of adjusting and targeting it to where it is needed our government stick to the approach which is not helping.
    We keep tens of thousands peple out of their jobs and we will be paying for it down the road. Additional lockdowns, talk about going back to full lockdown, call for mandatory masks while outdoors....

31% of all cases so far detected in Ireland cannot be traced back to the source. Yet you are arguing that shops are not a potential problem. Shops may not be a problem, we don't know for sure, but considering the usually high numbers of people passing through them, the fact that lots of them are in relatively small enclosed places is it really that big a sacrifice to play it safe and wear a mask?

There might be some argument against other lock-down measures but really is wearing a mask in shared public spaces that big of a deal? Personally I think the anti-maskers are a combination of selfish and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Yes: valved
    Whether it be fear of getting the virus or fear of spreading it it's all fear at end at the end of the day . The masks serve a constant reminder of this fear. Maybe if people just forget about the virus and stop thinking about it the fear would disappear. The masks serve as a constant reminder of this fear.

Halloween is coming up, stay indoors would be your best bet ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't mind wearing it going into shops even if I'm not sure it makes any real difference in the long run, but the shops are still letting people in without them and not even asking a reason why they don't have them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't mind wearing it going into shops even if I'm not sure it makes any real difference in the long run, but the shops are still letting people in without them and not even asking a reason why they don't have them on.

I'm totally on board with the reasoning why we should wear it, but the rollout of it has been poor from the government.
    If we'd had the masks in March and rolled out the policy then I think it would have taken care of itself.
    But after missing that window... not there needs to be proper enforcement, penalties for shops who don't check for exemptions and a proper mechanism for exemptions.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    robinph wrote: »
    So does that mean I'm half dead and not worthy of a space on your planet of people with pure genes?

Half as in going to die anyway. If I was going to die anyway covid would be the least of my worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AnnieOaks

No: I don't care enough
    Half as in going to die anyway. If I was going to die anyway covid would be the least of my worries.

A lot of people that caught covid, might of had other conditions but they’re still people. And I doubt they wanted to die of covid.. your comments are pure nonsense. Of course it’s a worry to people who might die if they catch it.. are you actually stupid or something? Do you not realise your selfish actions might actually harm someone else? Cop on to life. Life is precious and we all deserve to live. Whether you would of “died Anyway” or died in 10 years. It’s very unfair on people who are immunocompromised that they’re essentially being sacrificed so a few ***** can drink pints again.. this pandemic really is taking away my faith in people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Yes: valved
    bush wrote: »
    Some people really do put a lot of faith in masks saying stuff like virus would spread like wildfire if we weren't wearing them when really they are making **** all difference.

How do you know they're not making a difference? Saw a video that masks help to reduce the viral load so a person doesn't get it as bad. Could explain why people are still getting infected but less dying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

I only learned yesterday of the close familial connection between the State’s a-CMO and an RTÉ journalist.

Puts RTE’s NPHET coverage in a different light.

I’m sure the journalist in question was redirected to non-Covid related news for transparency.

3xh wrote: »
    I only learned yesterday of the close familial connection between the State’s a-CMO and an RTÉ journalist.

Puts RTE’s NPHET coverage in a different light.

I’m sure the journalist in question was redirected to non-Covid related news for transparency.

Why would they be? Listen to NPHET and ignore RTE would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

NPHETs only goal is to stop this virus. We have to stop focusing on that and focus on opening everything before it’s too late. Deaths will happen regardless.

AnnieOaks wrote: »
    A lot of people that caught covid, might of had other conditions but they’re still people. And I doubt they wanted to die of covid.. your comments are pure nonsense. Of course it’s a worry to people who might die if they catch it.. are you actually stupid or something? Do you not realise your selfish actions might actually harm someone else? Cop on to life. Life is precious and we all deserve to live. Whether you would of “died Anyway” or died in 10 years. It’s very unfair on people who are immunocompromised that they’re essentially being sacrificed so a few ***** can drink pints again.. this pandemic really is taking away my faith in people.

Life is precious and should be lived and enjoyed. Being scared sh1tless of covid is not living life. I don't understand how you can enjoy your life whilst wearing a mask and being constantly afraid of either getting or spreading a virus.

Everyone's going to die of something whether they like it or not and whether that something is covid or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

AnnieOaks wrote: »

Opening a pub to allow a socially distanced group of people following the rules will not affect anybody, its stupid keeping them all shut because of isolated incidents like the one last week.

If they break the guidelines close that premises down but its not fair to punish everyone in the bar trade for the actions of a few cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

People don’t really ‘listen’ to NPHET. They listen to fear-of-flying Tubridy (unfortunately) and the six one news for their ‘info’ that comes out from NPHET.

So when NPHET advise the Government of a needed quarantine, people listen to RTÉ & co say ‘mandatory 14-day quarantine’ and just accept that as being ‘the law’ etc. It never was mandatory nor is it now.

And that is just one example from 6 months of clearly angled news coverage with a particular goal in mind.

Regarding the very recent Covid ‘related’ death figures, when exactly did they succumb to the virus? No one asks at these press conferences? No one published when those recent deaths actually occurred. Would those here who are fully behind all ‘guidelines’ from the government find it strange if it transpires the recent death notifications in the past 7 days occurred in April/May/June?

Do people not see for themselves and link, without needing the likes of RTÉ/NPHET/Whoever to show them, the recently announced increased test number figures and the increased positive cases?

So what, 3xh? Well, nothing. Unless, the Government/news agenda then becomes ‘increased positive cases results in further restrictions and forced county closures’ etc etc.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Everyone's going to die of something whether they like it or not and whether that something is covid or not.

This is possibly the most idiotic thing I've read in a long time. Of course everyone is going to die, but equally everyone wants to be around for as long as possible. So if you would normally be expected to live for another 30+ years, you'd be OK with somebody telling you today that you have at most a few weeks to live because you've just tested positive? Although obviously the vast majority of people won't die, but have a read of this to see what life is like post-Covid. Doesn't look like something that should be dismissed with something as flippant as your comment above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm totally on board with the reasoning why we should wear it, but the rollout of it has been poor from the government.
    If we'd had the masks in March and rolled out the policy then I think it would have taken care of itself.
    But after missing that window... not there needs to be proper enforcement, penalties for shops who don't check for exemptions and a proper mechanism for exemptions.
    Restrictions did the heavy lifting everywhere. Masks are of little use if it's rampant in the community. I wouldn't be so quick to shout penalties when cases are actually coming from other workplaces like factories, households and accommodation and social activity. Interactions in a retail setting are very brief by comparison.

3xh wrote: »
    People don’t really ‘listen’ to NPHET. They listen to fear-of-flying Tubridy (unfortunately) and the six one news for their ‘info’ that comes out from NPHET.

So when NPHET advise the Government of a needed quarantine, people listen to RTÉ & co say ‘mandatory 14-day quarantine’ and just accept that as being ‘the law’ etc. It never was mandatory nor is it now.

And that is just one example from 6 months of clearly angled news coverage with a particular goal in mind.

Regarding the very recent Covid ‘related’ death figures, when exactly did they succumb to the virus? No one asks at these press conferences? No one published when those recent deaths actually occurred. Would those here who are fully behind all ‘guidelines’ from the government find it strange if it transpires the recent death notifications in the past 7 days occurred in April/May/June?

Do people not see for themselves and link, without needing the likes of RTÉ/NPHET/Whoever to show them, the recently announced increased test number figures and the increased positive cases?

So what, 3xh? Well, nothing. Unless, the Government/news agenda then becomes ‘increased positive cases results in further restrictions and forced county closures’ etc etc.

I'm sorry but anyone who listens to tubridy for any reason is an idiot so there's no point in them listening to NPHET anyway because they won't understand what's being said.

Like in the last paragraph. Thinking that the only reason cases have increased is because we are doing more testing shows a lack of understanding of the situation. Loads of people take really a simplistic view of something that's actually fairly complicated.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Restrictions did the heavy lifting everywhere. Masks are of little use if it's rampant in the community. I wouldn't be so quick to shout penalties when cases are actually coming from other workplaces like factories, households and accommodation and social activity. Interactions in a retail setting are very brief by comparison.

Hong Kong never had a lockdown. They wear masks all the time though. 14 million people in an area the size of louth and I think they still have less than 100 deaths? They got something right. Huge exposure to the epicentre as well.

Hong Kong never had a lockdown.
    I never used the word lockdown; restrictions and yes they did.

https://time.com/5838636/restaurants-coronavirus-safety-hong-kong/

I never used the word lockdown; restrictions and yes they did.

https://time.com/5838636/restaurants-coronavirus-safety-hong-kong/

The article says that the restaurants briefly had to reduce capacity and now they are back at full capacity. Would you agree they've handled it pretty well?

The article says that the restaurants briefly had to reduce capacity and now they are back at full capacity. Would you agree they've handled it pretty well?
    Sure but with restrictions.

Sure but with restrictions.

So what restrictions are currently in place there. The ones in that article have expired? As far as I can find out the main thing is they all wear masks all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AnnieOaks

No: I don't care enough
    Life is precious and should be lived and enjoyed. Being scared sh1tless of covid is not living life. I don't understand how you can enjoy your life whilst wearing a mask and being constantly afraid of either getting or spreading a virus.

Well whether you like it or not, get used to seeing masks quite regularly. Because they will be around till this virus isn’t. People are afraid of the unknown and you can’t blame them for it. Yes everyone is going to die at some point thanks for stating out the obvious. But the problem here is chief, that people can unknowingly infect people and kill them. We all need to band together and fight it or what’s the point? People are already giving up and with this government’s actions I can’t really blame them either. But for the sake of each other’s health and to keep one another safe can we not just do what science is telling us? Masks are a general preventive measure for the time being. This isn’t forever. It’s not even been a year and people have given up. We could be living in Palestine being bombed to bits everyday but we’re told you know, wearing a mask might be inconvenient for a few mins of your daily life but it could help fight this virus.. and nobody wants to do it. Incredible to me. I find it extra hilarious at the ones who say wearing a mask is a sheep thing to do. As if wearing a mask takes away some of your freedom?? Well if anything it actually gives you a bit more freedom would you not think? The freedom of anonymity? The freedom to truly not be seen if you don’t want to? And here’s everyone complaining that our rights have been infringed. The virus has infringed our rights and people are just trying to adjust to this weird year. It won’t be forever. Just do the right thing..

So what restrictions are currently in place there. The ones in that article have expired? As far as I can find out the main thing is they all wear masks all the time.
    You're not looking hard enough: two seconds it took me!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/27/global-report-china-reports-biggest-covid-19-surge-in-months-as-australia-sets-new-infections-record

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    This is possibly the most idiotic thing I've read in a long time. Of course everyone is going to die, but equally everyone wants to be around for as long as possible. So if you would normally be expected to live for another 30+ years, you'd be OK with somebody telling you today that you have at most a few weeks to live because you've just tested positive? Although obviously the vast majority of people won't die, but have a read of this to see what life is like post-Covid. Doesn't look like something that should be dismissed with something as flippant as your comment above.

If you are expected another 30 years then you are probably not gonna die of covid. Nearly everyone who died of cv19 were in their 80s which is same as the life expectancy in Ireland so it's hardly like they all had 30 years to live. Can't read your article as it's behind a paywall btw and I don't trust the msm anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement