Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Slowed.... Have you any figures at all to prove the flights are full, packed to the rafters and now...... Slowed?
    You say, or assume they are full, someone says they are near empty and only Irish citizens on board, you reply with the volume has slowed.
    If they grounded all flights, ya gonna say people be swimming across the Atlantic unchecked

What I'm saying is our Country was wide open for business until a fortnight ago. So we still had streams of people coming in at least up until that point.

I'm alarmed that you don't find that at all questionable in the middle of a Worldwide pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Strumms wrote: »
    Totally....What I can’t get my head around is how absolutely silent it is... at night, and pretty damn quiet during the day. No real traffic, no kids heading to the park, silence. No live sport, no neighbors rowing in the garden, it’s a freaky time to be alive. I quite fancied the chipper tonight, I wasn’t going to risk it for a biscuit, or curry chips for that matter.

Was just saying that about the silence. I cant sleep it is soooo quiet outside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

One of the latest celebrity cases is John Prine.

https://twitter.com/JohnPrineMusic/status/1244374068226293761

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Strumms wrote: »
    Totally....What I can’t get my head around is how absolutely silent it is... at night, and pretty damn quiet during the day. No real traffic, no kids heading to the park, silence. No live sport, no neighbors rowing in the garden, it’s a freaky time to be alive. I quite fancied the chipper tonight, I wasn’t going to risk it for a biscuit, or curry chips for that matter.

It's too quiet. There's normally a busy road out the back and I always sleep with the window open. I kinda got use to the cars going up and down. Now it's so quiet I swear I can hear the grass grow. It's certainly a surreal situation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

leck wrote: »

Who?

What I'm saying is our Country was wide open for business until a fortnight ago. So we still had streams of people coming in at least up until that point.

I'm alarmed that you don't find that at all questionable in the middle of a Worldwide pandemic.

It wasn't wide opened for business.
    Many large companies instructed staff to work from home. Many people had seen the outbreak in Europe and taken heed and began social distancing and being cautious. Companies even canceled business trips. Business was not as normal 2 weeks ago, citizens and business took it upon themselves to take precautions days before schools closed.
    If anything the people of Ireland reacted quicker then the government, not that the government was slow in reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

spookwoman wrote: »

There's gonna be a lot of bad news in the coming days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

khalessi wrote: »
    No to be alarmist but I am putting this here for anyone with psoriasis who may not see it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8164787/14-year-old-boy-Portugals-youngest-coronavirus-victim-Ovar-near-Porto.html

youngest death in Europe 14 year old footballer with psoriasis

Some of the underlying conditions that lend vulnerability are eyebrow-raising - hypertension, diabetes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Some of the underlying conditions that lend vulnerability are eyebrow-raising - hypertension, diabetes etc.

Was thinking that earlier today - this virus is a b*tch

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    There's gonna be a lot of bad news in the coming days
    Thats one mistake the government done so far. If it wasn't for NHI restricting visiting to homes early in March, it would be alot worse.

I just remember my teenage niece mentioning in January that every hundred years or so there was a pandemic and what would. 2020 bring us. Now we know and it aint good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

It seems that if your immune system over reacts to it, that's where the massively high fever comes and complications arise .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

So easy to flick a switch and turn off everything is in it.We were guided slowly into a lockdown , measures to deal with it as well as legislation that needs to be passed. The government might not be perfect but they brought us to this stage perfectly with minimum panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Personally I don't think it was a conspiracy to import cases, just plain stupidity which still continues. As for empty flights coming from the UK, yeh sure 16 or so Aer Lingus flights a day. No effort to reduce the number on their website so seat capacity is maximised.

Personally I don't think it was a conspiracy to import cases, just plain stupidity which still continues. As for empty flights coming from the UK, yeh sure 16 or so Aer Lingus flights a day. No effort to reduce the number on their website so seat capacity is maximised.

Those flights have been booked months in advance, if the airline cancelled the flights they have to refund the passengers. Nobody is flying. Are lingus are flying cargo in the belly as usual.
    Tell ya what, go sit in arrivals and film all these passengers coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Your two brain cells are practising social distancing if you believe that **** ...
    eldudebros wrote: »
    Why are people so quick to rubbish the effects of 5G? What do we know? Nothing at all really.

Not one of us would have expected a pandemic like this to occur this time last year.

Already scientists and doctors have appealed to the EU to reconsider it due to health effects it may cause. Why bother their hole if there wasn't cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can you as a healthy person fed up with all these goings on, sign up to get the virus and declare yourself stronger when you recover?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

No to be alarmist but I am putting this here for anyone with psoriasis who may not see it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8164787/14-year-old-boy-Portugals-youngest-coronavirus-victim-Ovar-near-Porto.html

youngest death in Europe 14 year old footballer with psoriasis

Flakey publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

kyote00 wrote: »
    Your two brain cells are practising social distancing if you believe that **** ...

So it's powerful enough to transmit lots of data really fast but it can't do any harm to living cells?

In the old days radio signals were weak and large aerials or crystal receivers were required to receive them, the aerials in smartphones are tiny, what might that infer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Gods Gift wrote: »
    So.
    What’s everyone up to??

Netflix.

Mostly Netflix.

that you have never studied maxwells equations
    So it's powerful enough to transmit lots of data really fast but it can't do any harm to living cells?

In the old days radio signals were weak and large aerials or crystal receivers were required to receive them, the aerials in smartphones are tiny, what might that infer?

oleras wrote: »
    Flakey publication.

Well its in the TImes too but behind a pay wall google his name if you like

psoriasis .... flakey .... zoom
    Well its in the TImes too but behind a pay wall google his name if you like

leck wrote: »

https://twitter.com/JohnPrineMusic/status/1244374068226293761

Probably better described as a musician than a celebrity.

How sad. Don’t think he’ll have much chance to pull through with his underlying health problems. Had tickets to see him in Manchester but it was cancelled as he was having heart problems.

Never got the credit he deserved. His latest album, The Tree of Forgiveness, did have some critical acclaim and is a cracking album.

For anyone not familiar go and listen to his self titled album and ‘diamonds in the rough’. All his 70’s albums are good.

His latest album is really good too.

He’s the song writer than Bob Dylan wished he was. I’ve never understood Dylan’s success when Prine was writing all over him.

Anyway. Very sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

IT headline tomorrow
    The Government should consider closing the country’s borders to prevent new coronavirus infections coming into the State, one of the leading infectious diseases experts has said.

Dr Paddy Mallon, a consultant at St Vincent’s University Hospital in Dublin and professor of microbial diseases at UCD, said a major risk to the State was more new Covid-19 infections coming in.

Please subscribe or sign in to continue reading.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-state-should-be-looking-seriously-at-closing-borders-1.4215321?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fhealth%2Fcoronavirus-state-should-be-looking-seriously-at-closing-borders-1.4215321

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This news from Japan as officials in Tokyo warn in recent days the city is on the brink of an "explosive" increase in cases.

Tokyo recorded its biggest daily increase in Covid-19 cases on Sunday, as authorities identified large infection clusters in and around the capital.

The additional 68 cases brings Tokyo’s total to 430 - by far the highest among Japan’s 47 prefectures. The newly identified infections included 27 at a hospital where 96 people are now known to have been infected.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/30/coronavirus-live-news-us-deaths-could-reach-200000-uk-warned-six-month-lockdown-covid-19-latest-updates

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Anyone know why the no of cases was so low today?

Its unlikely its a real drop in infection??

Someone told me many tests centers had closed because they had run of out tests indefinitely galway and cork were examples.

Also we have to remember ...we are getting the results from tests that were done a while ago.

Our testing system doesn't look good and doesn't bode well.

I read an article that said we have the same death rate as the US and a higher infection rate than the UK.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/coronavirus-news-data-shows-ireland-21772994

We may be a small nation, but Ireland’s coronavirus crisis is one of the biggest in the world, the Irish Sunday Mirror can reveal.

Our exclusive data probe reveals that Ireland ranks in the top 25% of 200 countries for coronavirus cases, rates of infection – and deaths.

Our nation also has the second highest number of Covid-19 deaths compared to five other countries with similar populations.

To date there have been more than 575,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 and the deadly bug has claimed over 26,000 lives worldwide.

Ireland has recorded 2,415 infections and 36 deaths so far with a higher infection rate than the UK and an equal death rate to the US.

Green Party health spokesman and Meath GP Dr Seamus McMenamin said the figures reflect decades of poor investment in Ireland’s hospital system.

He told the Irish Sunday Mirror: “Ireland doesn’t compare well with countries that have more equal health systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Thats one mistake the government done so far. If it wasn't for NHI restricting visiting to homes early in March, it would be alot worse.

Yes and lets not forget either that the Authorities admonished Nursing Homes Ireland when they did decide to shut down the Nursing homes back on the 6th.

They called it on March 6th and were publicly scolded on March 7th for doing so.

Big mistake, big mistake.

"Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan has insisted the risk of contracting Covid-19 in Ireland remains low.

He appealed again to organisations... not to act unilaterally...following the decision of the Nursing Homes Ireland to implement visitor restrictions nationwide."

I remember Leo Varadker using the same words later that day in his briefing.

NHI made their decision on March 6 and even if it was too late, they had the nerve to act unilaterally - even if they were told off.

This one isn't on NHI and just to add, their staff urgently need PPE.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0307/1120765-coronavirus/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement