Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Has anyone used Alfaparf pigments before? I ordered a couple of them online just to try a little something different with my hair since I won’t be out in public really for the foreseeable. I shampooed my hair as normal, towel dried it, mixed some of a hair mask with approx half the tube of pigment, applied to the hair, left it on for about 30 mins, rinsed and.... nothing! Only that my hair is silky soft from the hair mask!
    What’s the correct way to apply the pigment? Am I correct in my understanding that it’s a non permanent wash of colour?

I was looking at these the other day. I wonder was the pigment not suitable for your hair colour? It seems that some of them have no impact on light brown through to dark hair, but if your hair is blonde there should be a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Caranica wrote: »
    Really disappointed about this. Just got an email from The Manicure Company to say they've closed their warehouse as it's non essential. They didn't send the email when they closed but waited until the product should have been delivered. It's no use when the salons are open again. I'm not annoyed that they closed, just that they didn't tell us at the time.

You can remove with regular acetone, tinfoil, cotton wool and something like a teaspoon - might be able to get bits in the supermarket

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

https://www.terrisales.ie/store/

Terrisales are still open online, and they sell pure acetone - that's what you need to remove shellac. I do my own and I use a boots nail varnish remover that's pure acetone, but I've just checked their website and it's not there, so I assume it's out of stock. If you can get to a boots and they have it in store it's one called Boots Nail Polish Remover Extra Strength and it comes in a bottle that you pump the top to get it out - like they'd use in a salon. Any pure acetone will work though.

There's loads of youtube videos on removing shellac/gel at home, but here's what I do, in case it helps anyone:

First you'll need 1 nail file, acetone, a little dish or plate, nail file, orange stick/cuticle pusher, 1 plastic bag/ziploc bag big enough to fit your hand in, 10 squares of tinfoil large enough to wrap around the sides and top of your finger, 10 pieces of cotton (I find it's handy to cut a cotton makeup removal pad into quarters) cuticle oil and a nailbrush if you have one.

It will be time consuming but if you're doing it on yourself it's easier to do one hand at a time.
    1. Lightly file over the surface of your nails to break the top coat so the acetone can penetrate
    2. If you have the nailbrush, use it to brush away the dust from filing
    3. Pour some acetone into a little bowl/plate, you don't need loads, just enough to soak the cotton pads
    4. Add 5 of the cotton pads to the acetone, and allow to become saturated
    5. Apply one of the pieces of cotton pad to your nail, then wrap the tinfoil over the top and around the sides, to seal it in. Repeat for other fingers on that hand. Put your hand in the plastic bag, and wrap it up.
    6. Leave for 10 to 15 minutes and then check. I've found some colours take longer than others, and if you've got glitter or something in there, it can take up to 25 minutes.
    7. Remove the tinfoil carefully, and use the orange stick or cuticle pusher to gently scrape the gel off the nail. It should come away easily with little/no pressure - don't scrape hard, you can damage your nail. There may be a few stubborn bits, so just reapply the cotton and tinfoil and wait another 5 or 10 minutes.
    8. When all the gel has been removed, give your nails a quick wipe over with some acetone soaked cotton wool, just to clean up.
    9. Apply cuticle oil to your entire nail and massage in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

these nail clips are excellent for home shellac removal - cut out the need for tinfoil and can be easily clipped on and off:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/396176098470455865/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Can anybody recommend an easy peasy eyebrow tint to do at home? I normally go to the salon so I'm not great at "at home" things, and I normally go for a light brown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Caranica wrote: »
    My waxer told me they're currently planning to open on 30 April

There is no way any salon can adhere to social distancing. No one will be doing anything until May 5th and Leos next announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

jrosen wrote: »
    There is no way any salon can adhere to social distancing. No one will be doing anything until May 5th and Leos next announcement.

If even that, we haven't even reached the peak yet and going by other countries that have lifted their lockdowns, they waited two weeks after their first day of no new community transmitted cases before opening everything back up and are now seeing a rise in the number of cases again.
    It could be months before we see the inside of a salon. :(

There are some salons selling shellac removal kits, I have seen them shared but not sure what salons.
    However all you need is acetone, some cotton and tin foil and about 30 mins.

Its easy to do.

For anyone concerned about their skin a lot of skin clinics and salons that have an on line store are still delivering or offering pick up. You may not be able to get your active products like glycolic or retinol (if you have not ordered or bought with them before) but you will be able to get anything else. Please try and support your local salons before shopping elsewhere.

Take this as a great time for your skin to rest. Plenty of water, sleep and fresh air. Dont forget your SPF and reapply throughout the day. VIT c for anyone who is finding their skin dehydrated.
    Image Vital C ACE serum is amazing

If even that, we haven't even reached the peak yet and going by other countries that have lifted their lockdowns, they waited two weeks after their first day of no new community transmitted cases before opening everything back up and are now seeing a rise in the number of cases again.
    It could be months before we see the inside of a salon again. :(

I agree, I think they will be one of the last back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Just out of curiosity, how are our newsreaders and tv presenters getting their hair and makeup done. Catriona Perry, Clare Byrne, Miriam et al all still looking very well groomed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

jrosen wrote: »

Check the date on my post! it was before the extension of lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

jos28 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how are our newsreaders and tv presenters getting their hair and makeup done. Catriona Perry, Clare Byrne, Miriam et al all still looking very well groomed

Claire Byrne did look well in the shed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭LilacNails

It's generally about 6 months, but can be longer. There are certain areas for me that I'll probably have to go for top-up sessions on forever, but you're only talking maybe a couple of times a year. You see major results from even the first session, for example I've only had one session on my underarms and I'd say I've had 70% reduction in growth from that one session ... I have very thick dark hair and pale skin, so apparently that makes me an ideal candidate!

If I were you I'd just bite the bullet and go for it, they tailor the timeline to your own circumstances, so will work around your move - and assuming you're staying in Ireland, it's not a problem at all to move from one clinic to another.

How much per top up session?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

jos28 wrote: »

Virgin Media have make up kits and instructions for each of their presenters, both men and women. They do it themselves. I’m assuming all TV stations are doing the same.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Can anybody recommend an easy peasy eyebrow tint to do at home? I normally go to the salon so I'm not great at "at home" things, and I normally go for a light brown.

I'll let ya know tomorrow :pac: Attempting to do mine tonight, pray for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Virgin Media have make up kits and instructions for each of their presenters, both men and women. They do it themselves. I’m assuming all TV stations are doing the same.

What a good idea, I'd love one of those for myself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Alex Jones on the One Show said she was doing her own.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Twee. wrote: »
    I'll let ya know tomorrow :pac: Attempting to do mine tonight, pray for me.

I do this regularly and would recommend avoiding the Eyelure ones or similar. The tints don't last well.

I'd recommend the Julienne ones from Terrisales:

https://www.terrisales.ie/category/5/274/eyelash-tinting/

They have a light brown in this range, you need to buy the tint and the tint activator.

It is so easy to do but for anyone doing tint at home for the first time, PLEASE don't forget to do a patch test and make sure you follow the mixing instructions to the letter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yep patch test was done during the week! I used Refectocil colour & activator https://www.skincity.co.uk/p-6623-lash-brow-colour-15ml.aspx Fairly happy with the application, but colour a bit off. I went for the chestnut as I usually get a red tone in my tint but it was a bit too much, I'm going to get a brown to blend in. Happy though for my first ever go at it! I applied with an angled brush and spooly to finish off and grab the little hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’ve been using colour wow dream filter for a few weeks now and it’s definitely helping the longevity of my highlights. I’ve only a small bit of root and id be kind of mousey anyway so it doesn’t look too bad, but i definitely think the dream filter makes it look more meshed, like it was meant to look like that rather than an exposed root look. I’m using it with the Redken extreme blondage shampoo and my blonde is so bright and creamy looking. I think I’ll get a few extra weeks out of my regrowth with these (like I’ve any other choice :pac: )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

For tinting:
    Ash blondes: 70% grey tint 30% black tint
    Warmer blondes: 50 grey 50 light brown
    Light brown: 60 grey 40 black
    Copper or medium brown: light brown
    Dark brown hair: to keep it natural put the light brown on longer. Perfect to just warm up the brows
    For definition - dark brown and if you want them very strong then apply dark brown with a dot of blue black.

Lots of Vaseline around the brow to stop skin staining. Remove from front with cotton bud after about two minutes to avoid the blocky look. You can leave the rest of the tint on depending on how dark you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I finally received the kit from The Manicure Company to remove my shellac. Really happy with it and my nails are actually not in bad shape at all really. A bit dry but otherwise feel good and sturdy!

Before and after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Salty wrote: »
    I finally received the kit from The Manicure Company to remove my shellac. Really happy with it and my nails are actually not in bad shape at all really. A bit dry but otherwise feel good and sturdy!

Before and after

Looks great Good job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Looks great Good job

Thank you! I'm right handed - the struggle was real trying to do filing, wrapping etc with my left hand :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Has anyone used an at home lash dying kit? Do they work? are they easy to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Has anyone used an at home lash dying kit? Do they work? are they easy to use?

I’ve been a fully qualified beauty therapist for over ten years and I still struggle to do my own eyelashes... I’d say get whoever you’re locked down with to pop it on for you and just buy the normal tint

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

If you do cut it dry like foweva said ...hairdressers don't because they feel it blunts the scissors.

What a load of twaddle.
    Cutting dry hair doesn’t blunt good quality hairdressing scissors.
    When you close the scissor over dry hair, it naturally wants to push the hair forwards so you use scissors with a bevelled edge that grips the hair as it cuts.

You use convex blades for slicing so it doesn’t pull the hair as you draw the scissors downwards.

A hairdresser should own several pairs of scissors and choose the correct blade for the job. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Just contacted my hairdressers and instead of holding my appointment that got cancelled the week they closed, they scarped all previous appointments and are now fully booked for six week after they re-open.. think I'm just gonna go back to bed and cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just contacted my hairdressers and instead of holding my appointment that got cancelled the week they closed, they scarped all previous appointments and are now fully booked for six week after they re-open.. think I'm just gonna go back to bed and cry!

That's fairly senseless, considering they can't even know for sure when they're going to reopen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

That’s ****ty of them, really bad form. I was in touch with my hairdresser on Friday and she said as soon as they are given the go ahead for opening, they will be contacting everyone they had to cancel on and they will be given priority. It’s the only fair way of doing it, imo.

Advertisement