Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

="Caranica;112967635"not being able to keep up what I do do is actually stressful.

Realistically it's not stressful to not be able to get your hair and nails done by someone.

That's a mindset, try thinking of it as a opportunity to try something different to what you usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Try thinking of it as a opportunity to try something different to what you usually do.

We are all currently living through something we ordinarily wouldn't do. For some, looking after their hair/ nails/ eyebrows is their self care.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Honeydew3456

Caranica wrote: »
    Did you do it yourself? I'd rather go down that route then shave but I'm nervous about trying to wax myself

Yeah that's why I did it. Couldn't bear to shave.

I did it myself. Just keep in mind the growth can go in different directions and you may need to adjust which way you pull the strip a few times throughout. It took about 20 mins. There is cooling sachets in the box to put on after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

You should really look at this as an opportunity to either embrace your natural self or learn how to do it yourself.

I always opted for the former but if you must cover things up then it's never been easier to learn how to do it yourself and save yourself money, time and convenience now and in the future.

Seriously though, it's very liberating to be your natural self. Now I'm not talking hairy pits or anything (although if that's your thing then that's fine too). But let your hair grow out a bit, you might like what you see underneath.

Treat your skin and nails to a rest from make up and polish and try some home made natural treatments.

No need for pontificating. One can still groom without covering up their natural self (whatever that means). Getting nails done with long wearing polish, or a bikini line waxed, or whatever else, is not covering up. It's a thread about grooming, not extreme plastic surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I am the same, serial hollywood waxer, 2 days ago I bought veet facial wax strips, used these on that area and am delighted with the results. Almost salon perfect :)

I got my shellacs removed 2 weeks ago thankfully but I think if you buy polish remover with lots of acetone and soak your nails with this it should remove them well. Sally hansen gel polish is a great alternative to the real thing.

I'm going to try the wax strips too, thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Surely a semi permanent box dye wouldn't damage hair coloured in a hairdressers. I have never had my hair dyed in a hairdressers, but noticed the different shades in my hair because of using different types of permanent dyes. I stripped my hair last week and re- dyed it with a semi permanent and it looks great now, all one shade but it's dark so that's how I like it. I imagine it would be more difficult to achieve the desired shave with highlighted hair.

Do you find semi permanent colour sticks around longer than permanent hair dye? I've noticed that I get a good few weeks out of a SP whereas if I use a Permanent it washes out so quickly and my hair is gone back dull as dishwater after 1 week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

No need for pontificating. One can still groom without covering up their natural self (whatever that means). Getting nails done with long wearing polish, or a bikini line waxed, or whatever else, is not covering up. It's a thread about grooming, not extreme plastic surgery.

I wasn't pontificating, just saying maybe people should try to take some positives from it all and look on it as an opportunity.

Boots are now using a virtual queue system for their website which has thousands in it currently (wait time of about 5 hours give or take) but our own homegrown offerings are fantastic too and can recommend Cara Pharmacy and Inish pharmacy for any beauty needs. I have used both before and recently and they are playing a blinder.

Great for the essentials and nice instant manicure/pedicure kits.

Also plenty of Irish health food/natural beauty companies still available online who have lots to offer as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I can't get my usual hair styling product anywhere either. It was already regularly out of stock before this started, so I think I'll have to just resign myself to depressing hair between that and the lack of copper dye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Do you find semi permanent colour sticks around longer than permanent hair dye? I've noticed that I get a good few weeks out of a SP whereas if I use a Permanent it washes out so quickly and my hair is gone back dull as dishwater after 1 week.

I only did it for the first time last week. I have been using permanent dyes about 20 years now (why my 16 year old self thought it was best to use permanent dye I will never know!). I usually use Garnier Nutrisse but I am very dark so would have to do my roots every three weeks. I just got the SP in Superdrug, it was cheap enough but my hair is still really glossy and the colour is really rich. I figure if I have to dye it so often I may as well use a semi permanent so the colour fades evenly.

I spent 5 hours 40 minutes in the Boots online queue. They did not have what I was looking for, but I picked up a couple of alternatives. Delivery estimate is 8th April. They have very little in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I spent 5 hours 40 minutes in the Boots online queue. They did not have what I was looking for, but I picked up a couple of alternatives. Delivery estimate is 8th April. They have very little in stock.

Better off with Irish pharmacy websites.. or Amazon

Caranica wrote: »
    Better off with Irish pharmacy websites.. or Amazon

Tried them all first. Nothing suitable available on any.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I can't find nice copper dye anywhere to buy online.
    Its really only for grey hair ...if you are dark you would use a high lift colour usually putting a lighter auburn /copper..isn't going to show on dark hair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

It bothers me that, on some hairdressers Facebook pages, they are ordering/begging their clients not to box dye.

They could be closed for a really long time. I was lucky enough to get my cut and colour done on what ended up being my hairdressers very last day open, so I'm good for another few weeks. But when the time comes, hell yeah I'll be dying it myself.

I know I'm at home alone anyways 99% of the time so no one will see it, but it's a self-care thing ... I don't wanna be looking scraggy and unkempt even if no one knows it but me.

I'd never usually consider box dying but hairdressers need to realise that these are exceptional circumstances. If my hairdresser had the cheek to lecture me for doing it myself after all this, I'd be finding someone new to go to in future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can't get my usual hair styling product anywhere either. It was already regularly out of stock before this started, so I think I'll have to just resign myself to depressing hair between that and the lack of copper dye.

Have you considered this red shade? https://www.livecolour.com/our-products/intense-colour/030-mango-twist

When I had red hair, it was the closest I could get to copper from a box dye. All of the others were too brown. There’s a L’oreal One too but I was afraid it would be too orange so I never tried it. The Live one went on really evenly and my hairdresser even complimented me about it so I had a good experience with it.

I wouldn’t dream of box dying a blonde colour, but I think it can be okay for darker shades where tones aren’t as important and your roots won’t turn a different shade to the rest of your hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Does anyone know where I can buy 100% Acetone online to remove gels?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Does anyone know where I can buy 100% Acetone online to remove gels?

Serious suggestion. Petshops are still open. Can you get a big dogs nail trimmers and snip them off as they grow and backpaint the rest?A good Dog nail trimmers should cut through steel.

Serious suggestion. Petshops are still open. Can you get a big dogs nail trimmers and snip them off as they grow and backpaint the rest?A good Dog nail trimmers should cut through steel.

I'm guessing you're a guy? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

I hope yer all keeping the hair trim down below. That oul virus thrives in the long grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Liamo57 wrote: »
    I hope yer all keeping the hair trim down below. That oul virus thrives in the long grass.

hmmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

There's a few posts falling below the standard of what's expected in this forum, please stay on topic and familiarise yourself with the tone of the forum.

I imagine we are getting a lot of new readers as folks have a bit more time on their hands, so please respect the nature of the discussion and topics :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Personally, I'll live with my highlights growing out but I wish I could get my hair cut. It was due for a cut about 2 weeks ago and is now scraggly on the bottom and very flat on top. I have layers and a side fringe. Will just have to suck it up but I might try cutting my fringe myself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Personally, I'll live with my highlights growing out but I wish I could get my hair cut. It was due for a cut about 2 weeks ago and is now scraggly on the bottom and very flat on top. I have layers and a side fringe. Will just have to suck it up but I might try cutting my fringe myself.

It's not too hard to cut your own fringe, from experience I would advise to cut it dry not wet, and do it about 1cm long than you actually want it. You can always go again and cut it shorter, but once you go too short you unfortunately can't stick it back on. :o (Also, this means you get in a practice run before the "real" cut!)

It's not too hard to cut your own fringe, from experience I would advise to cut it dry not wet, and do it about 1cm long than you actually want it. You can always go again and cut it shorter, but once you go too short you unfortunately can't stick it back on. :o (Also, this means you get in a practice run before the "real" cut!)

Cutting a side fringe will be much harder though particularly with layers. You can do it but ...its a totally different job to cutting a normal fringe.

If you do cut it dry like foweva said ...hairdressers don't because they feel it blunts the scissors.

Also if you use a blunt scissors like the ones you have at home rather than a sharpened professional one ..its going to be very hard to control the way you are cutting. As in even if you cut in a perfect straight line a bad scissors will make the cut jaggedy and ....wrong. Its why hairdressors want to protect the sharpness of their scissors so much and why they spend stupid amounts of money on them.

A good hairdresser can't even give you an ok cut with bad scissors.

Yes you can do it ...but get some good scissors.

Also learn how to hold the scissors properly ...learn which way you should angle for the effect you want ..ie just a tiny trim etc.

Holding it straight rather than angled ( just to get the straggly bits) will take more off ...

Im serious about the scissors though ..not even a good professional hairdresser can give you a good cut with bad scissors. Its why they protect them from getting blunt so much.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Sooo... what you’re saying is that the scissors itself isn’t important?

Sooo... what you’re saying is that the scissors itself isn’t important?
    ah sure ..garden shears will do it ;) We hairdressers have magic hands!

It's like when you cut fabric ..a blunt or bad scissors would not give a straight cut ..it would be weird ..jagged ..and it damages the cloth...no matter how good a seamstress you are....but the right scissors .cuts fabric smoothly....and even the average person can do ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

I only did it for the first time last week. I have been using permanent dyes about 20 years now (why my 16 year old self thought it was best to use permanent dye I will never know!). I usually use Garnier Nutrisse but I am very dark so would have to do my roots every three weeks. I just got the SP in Superdrug, it was cheap enough but my hair is still really glossy and the colour is really rich. I figure if I have to dye it so often I may as well use a semi permanent so the colour fades evenly.

I used to use Granier Nutrisse on my hair. Gorgeous result, terrible staying power though. 2 shampoos and its all gone down the drain (warm dark brown). Find casting creme lasts waaay longer even though it doesnt give me the lovely warmth of colour that the nutrisse does.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

A salon in Sligo posted this fringe trimming tutorial

https://www.facebook.com/108357154768/posts/10158679627444769/?vh=e&d=n

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Amazon have sold out of cheap mens clippers, had some in my basket last night, forgot to order and now sold out.

Them seem to be sold put of anything reasonably priced :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I would normally get gel nails or paint them myself but since peeling off my gel nails over 2 weeks ago, I havnt painted them, just left them alone as ive not been going anywhere. My nails are much healthier and stronger. Usually they'd break by now and would be thin, flaky and the whites would look terrible.
    Sine last week ive been filing them down as they have been growing so long and the whites are even, theyre much thicker too. Goes to show how damaging nail polish is.

Advertisement