Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

What peels were you getting?

The image acid peels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

katie275 wrote: »
    The image acid peels

Ok what’s your home care like and what peels were you having done?
    Acne? Lightening? Signature lift? Ormedic? Forte?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Has anyone ever taken supplements to strengthen nails?

I’ve been struggling to grow mine - I used be a heavy nail biter - however as soon as they get any bit of white showing they break at the sides and then just peel away. Or they will catch on something and then break across the new white piece.

I’ve been applying strengthening nail varnish but not much good. Any tips please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've ordered Nunale cream on Amazon at the recommendation of a beautician. I find the paint on strengtheners to do more damage than good though I very rarely take shellac breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Teach30 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever taken supplements to strengthen nails?

I’ve been struggling to grow mine - I used be a heavy nail biter - however as soon as they get any bit of white showing they break at the sides and then just peel away. Or they will catch on something and then break across the new white piece.

I’ve been applying strengthening nail varnish but not much good. Any tips please?
    Caranica wrote: »
    I've ordered Nunale cream on Amazon at the recommendation of a beautician. I find the paint on strengtheners to do more damage than good though I very rarely take shellac breaks.

This query couldn’t have come at a better time...I used to be lethal when it came to nail biting. I finally curbed the habit in Dec 2018 and have been doing relatively well ever since. I bought myself a crystal file and loads of new nail polishes, and really got into the ‘ritual’ of filing and painting my nails on the regular - it was very relaxing.

BUT...for the last few weeks, I’m back to my usual capers and attacking my nails with gusto :mad:

I’m really annoyed at myself, because it took a great deal of resolve to break the habit in the first place and I actually miss the self-care aspect of prepping my nails. :o (which would be a nice distraction for these strange times).

I’m going to order the Nunale cream you recommended, Caranica, and get back to good nail health :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think my nails are genetically weak. I've tried all the supplements, nail strengtheners, nail care, etc but it's done nothing. I can grow my nails a certain length but they're so soft and it's more trouble than it's worth to have them longer. It turns out my dad's nails are the same way so I think it must be a genetic thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I've used Vitabiotics Perfectil Original Triple Active for my nails before and found them great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I used Nunale after I had a stint of getting nail extensions, it's a great product and so cheap. I see they've updated the packaging, looks very sophisticated compared to the older pack! It was recommended to me and when I saw it in the shop I was like "really?!", but sure enough it did the trick.

I'd love a manicure and pedicure :( I don't bite my nails anymore but I pick at the skin around them, it's pretty bad looking at the moment. And the feet, well I've been enjoying not wearing shoes and socks as I've no where to go and my feet are getting a little bit rough, gross but true! I love being barefoot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Just on nail health, I used to bite my nails all my life, my first memory of nail biting was when I was 3 and my mother having a talk with me to stop biting my nails, I was biting them long before that. I tried to stop over the years but always went back to eating them and anytime id try to grow them they would just snap. A few years ago I randomly stopped one day and never felt the urge the bite them again, dont know why as I used to bite them constantly even without noticing as it was such a habit.
    After I stopped they were growing out but were paper thin and very weak no matter what I did, I couldnt get them to grow any thickness or strength. I tried a load of different oils and nail strenghters but nothing worked. In a chemist one day I came across this tiny little 3.7ml bottle of RescueRxx daily keratin treatment, I tried it when I c=got home and over the coming days, in a month my nails were so much healthier and stronger. I dont use it everyday, I hardley use it once a month but my naills are growing out thicker and they dont break at all like they use to. Ive actually got nice natural nails for the first time in my life. Id recommend it to any ex nail biters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Looks like it could be July before we get to see the inside of a salon. Grim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I've already emailed the salon to book in for the 20th July. Mani, pedi and eyebrow tint/shape. :D

I've already email the salon to book in for the 20th July. Mani, pedi and eyebrow tint/shape. :D

Meet your sister :D I booked online for 9am on the 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

20th July!!! I'm just gobsmacked! :eek: Countries like Italy and Spain which have been the epicentre of the virus are reopening their hairdressers in May. As is Denmark and Germany slightly later. If they can do it why not us?

The beauty industry is important for morale which is pretty low right now, not to mention the number of businesses that will literally go out of business.

All the other measures seem reasonable but that one is totally over the top imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm surprised they'll open so soon. They have reiterated that social distancing will be required until there's a vaccine, and I don't see how that can happen in a salon?

As much as I'm depressed by my hair, I don't think I will risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

acequion wrote: »
    20th July!!! I'm just gobsmacked! :eek: Countries like Italy and Spain which have been the epicentre of the virus are reopening their hairdressers in May. As is Denmark and Germany slightly later. If they can do it why not us?

The beauty industry is important for morale which is pretty low right now, not to mention the number of businesses that will literally go out of business.

All the other measures seem reasonable but that one is totally over the top imo.

It’ll be too hard to maintain social distance in a beauty salon, threading, facials etc you’re practically up on top of them. It sucks, but the virus is killing people, I’d hate to think I made someone sick, and due to an auto immune disease and immuno suppressive medications, I’d be in a world of trouble if someone made me sick. It’ll be all worth it when we can get back without the dreaded virus hanging over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Those countries went into full lockdown before we did hence they will come out of it before us. Hairdressers and beautician require very close or physical contact. That's why they one of the last things to open.

Those countries went into full lockdown before we did .

Not really in the case of Spain. They went from everything being completely open to full lockdown on March 16th. We started to ease into our lockdown with schools,gyms and hairdressers, beauticians closing at exactly the same time. In fact I managed to get an appointment just before my hairdresser closed her doors on March 14th. So if Spain can start opening salons with strict protocols in place and by appointment only as early as May, I really don't see why we have to wait until July 20th. June, fair enough, but July!! And the end of July at that!

Obviously we all want to avoid a recurrence and nobody wants to infect anyone or get infected, but I do feel that the authorities here are being excessive on that one.

It seems totally illogical to me. Leo has just been on describing schools reopening in September with staggered attendance to allow social distancing. And the press release on the Leaving Cert today talks about the difficulties of organing exams with social distancing in August. Yet it's ok to be right on top of each other in a salon in July?

The problem with salons is that the hairdresser/beautician is actually physically touching you, so chances of spreading is much higher than say in a retail situation where if a customer comes in they're not going to be in direct contact with you for more than 15 minutes. I work for a salon and the amount of clients that come in when they are sick is crazy, saying 'oh it's only a sniffle I have' when you can plainly see their eyes streaming etc. Plus the combination of hair dryers blowing and air conditioning can spread germs all around. Most people will be in a salon for at least 30 minutes so to be honest I think they should be one of the last to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's not a one size fits all thing surely, in beauty anyway. A bikini wax would be safer than an eyebrow wax? Nails safer than a facial?

Hairdressing is on a more level platform.

• Advertisement

In a beauty salon or hairdressers they are dealing with one client at a time, they can wear masks and gloves which can be changed in between clients, also clients would be expected to use hand sanitizer when entering the salon and tables, chairs etc can be wiped down after each use. They also have constant access to sinks and washing facilities. It's much easier to maintain hygiene standards in a salon than a classroom where 10 - 30 kids are in the same room for an hour at a time and corridors packed with 100 + kids in the mornings, afternoons, lunch time and in between classes. Anyone who works in a school knows how colds, flus, stomach bugs and headlice spread like crazy. I know a teacher who catches everything going just from working in a school, she was hardly ever sick before she started teaching.
    Theyre both close contact but the context is entirely different.

Well, I taught second level for over 12 years. I know schools are high risk for most infections. But I would not consider them higher risk than a beauty salon though. I just think, if 2m distance is required for the forseeable future, then it makes no sense to allow salon treatments or any non essential (ie medical) activities while that stands.

Well, I taught second level for over 12 years. I know schools are high risk for most infections. But I would not consider them higher risk than a beauty salon though. I just think, if 2m distance is required for the forseeable future, then it makes no sense to allow salon treatments or any non essential (ie medical) activities while that stands.

Im open to correction but I was under the impression that salons wont be opening until a much later date, is it not the third or 4th stage of of the easing of restrictions? That is well after the 2km distance is relaxed.

Regardless id imagine the salons will have some sort of plan in place to ensure the safety of themselves and their customers where hygiene will be a priority, Ive noticed a few local salons posting recently completed hygiene certificates on their social media pages, they have sent their staff on hygiene training courses.
    They possibly will only allow so many people into the salons at one time and may have shorter opening hours.

They cant stay closed indefinitely and tbh, id feel safer going to get my hair or nails done in a sanitized salon than I would sitting in a classroom with a group of children or walking through a packed corridor or lunch room. Kids can be filthy at the best of times.

Im open to correction but I was under the impression that salons wont be opening until a much later date, is it not the third or 4th stage of of the easing of restrictions? That is well after the 2km distance is relaxed.

I mean the 2 metre physical distance. Apparently that won't be lifted at all until there's a vaccine.

I mean the 2 metre physical distance. Apparently that won't be lifted at all until there's a vaccine.

Hopefully it wont be that extreme indefinitely. I did hear Leo say that over the next couple of weeks we will be able to meet small groups of friends and the next step will be allowing friends into our homes again. He also said, if its necessary we may have to go backwards in stages if numbers start to creep up again.
    A vaccine is very unlikely to come about any time soon and if it ever does, it will take a long time before enough is supplied to vaccinate enough of the population for herd immunity. Schools, for the most part can work online, businesses have to reopen in one way or another.

I think it should be an individual decision for each salon to make. If you don’t want to open and don’t feel safe yet then don’t. But my hairdresser has spent the last few weeks locating PPE for herself and clients, stocking up on hand sanitiser and has completed online courses in sanitation and disinfection practices and she is devastated that she can’t reopen until July. For many people, reopening their business in July means its highly likely they won’t be reopening at all.

Hopefully it wont be that extreme indefinitely. I did hear Leo say that over the next couple of weeks we will be able to meet small groups of friends and the next step will be allowing friends into our homes again. He also said, if its necessary we may have to go backwards in stages if numbers start to creep up again.
    A vaccine is very unlikely to come about any time soon and if it ever does, it will take a long time before enough is supplied to vaccinate enough of the population for herd immunity. Schools, for the most part can work online, businesses have to reopen in one way or another.

I agree with most of your points and you're completely right that schools are a stronger breeding ground for infections than a highly sanitised salon applying strict protocols. But you're wrong about education operating online. While it can do so temporarily and is doing so, it's an extremely unreliable way of ensuring education to all, which is another essential service.

So schools will also have to find a way around the problem and accommodate a new normal and I've no doubt they will. Just as hairdressers and beauticians will and are already finding a way as another poster pointed out. Forcing them to stay closed until 20th July is OTT.

acequion wrote: »
    I agree with most of your points and you're completely right that schools are a stronger breeding ground for infections than a highly sanitised salon applying strict protocols. But you're wrong about education operating online. While it can do so temporarily and is doing so, it's an extremely unreliable way of ensuring education to all, which is another essential service.

So schools will also have to find a way around the problem and accommodate a new normal and I've no doubt they will. Just as hairdressers and beauticians will and are already finding a way as another poster pointed out. Forcing them to stay closed until 20th July is OTT.

Im by no means suggesting that online learning is in anyway equivalent to face to face classroom based learning but it's a temporary alternative and can be worked around - temporarily - until things go back to some kind of normal. Its not without it's problems, theres no doubt about that but education hasn't stopped. A salon owner cant be expected to close their business indefinitely as the longer theyre expected to stay closed, the less likely it is they will ever reopen. Businesses have to get back to work as early as possible.

Both are certainly different contexts but I think the education of my children is far more important than whether I had grey hair or not..I guess we will have to see what comes with each phase.. but we will be implementing every step we need to take in order to adhere with safety and hygiene standards. We plan on doing longer opening hours with a shift rota for staff. A lot of our clients are cancer patients as we supply hairpieces and wigs. So naturally it's a worry for us as the last thing someone going through treatment needs is to pick up the virus. It's very worrying as there's also the possibility that we may not reopen at all.

• Advertisement

Salty wrote: »
    Also on the topic of full faces and good hair days - I definitely think my hair is in better condition from not using as much heat as usual. I apply some bit of makeup every day as part of my routine, helps me to feel "normal". My Mam's hair is growing out quickly; she has never seen so much grey! She's tempted to just let it grow out completely at this stage.

I bit the bullet about 5 years ago and stopped dyeing my hair. I’ve a lovely head of Snow White hair now. I’ve never regretted it. I think that I actually look younger now, as the blonde look I had aged me as it just didn’t suit my skin tone, where the white does.

Advertisement