Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭kg703

I've an undercut, it's the smartest thing I ever did. I wear my hair down every day for work so most people don't even know it's there, but it saves me so much time and effort in washing and drying and straightening etc.

Would you recommend it? What does it grow out like and do you shave or have it scissor cut down?

I have long THICK hair. People say they have thick hair but ask any hairdresser who has met me, they always say - wow, you have a serious amount of hair.

Short hair wouldnt suit me - its just a no.

Its also super frizzy and wavy so within ten minutes of brushing it, a dreadlock has formed somewhere in there.

I havent had a hair cut in 8 months now (had an app booked start of March holding out for an event) and I'm at the end of my rope. I just can not get a brush through my hair. I envy straight haired people so much. The knots are killing me, its 40 minutes just to brush never mind straightening or blow drying - that just doesnt happen.

If anyone has any suggestions...I only normally cut it once every 5 months or so just because I hate getting it done, 4 hours plus in a hairdressers and I've a sensitive scalp so I dont even like people touching my head :( I usually get it cut to a little below my shoulders and ask them to thin out the back as much as possible.

I sound like such a whinger, Im not the person who gets up every morning to blow dry and straighten their hair, its usually quick brush and tie up. So with unmanageable hair everyone just says cut it. But I've a massive head & forehead - I cut it up just above my shoulders once....never again.

Any advice is welcome. Please dont say a tangle teaser though, they are useless in my hair. I could literally hide three of them in there and you wouldnt find them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

kg703 wrote: »
    Would you recommend it? What does it grow out like and do you shave or have it scissor cut down?

I have long THICK hair. People say they have thick hair but ask any hairdresser who has met me, they always say - wow, you have a serious amount of hair.

Its also super frizzy and wavy so within ten minutes of brushing it, a dreadlock has formed somewhere in there.

I havent had a hair cut in 8 months now (had an app booked start of March holding out for an event) and I'm at the end of my rope. I just can not get a brush through my hair. I envy straight haired people so much. The knots are killing me, its 40 minutes just to brush never mind straightening or blow drying - that just doesnt happen.

If anyone has any suggestions...I only normally cut it once every 5 months or so just because I hate getting it done, 4 hours plus in a hairdressers and I've a sensitive scalp so I dont even like people touching my head :( I usually get it cut to a little below my shoulders and ask them to thin out the back as much as possible.

I sound like such a whinger, Im not the person who gets up every morning to blow dry and straighten their hair, its usually quick brush and tie up. So with unmanageable hair everyone just says cut it. But I've a massive head & forehead - I cut it up just above my shoulders once....never again.

Any advice is welcome. Please dont say a tangle teaser though, they are useless in my hair. I could literally hide three of them in there and you wouldnt find them. :D

I have really, really thick and long hair (mine is straight but it takes around 4-5 hours to dry naturally) and get it thinned every couple of months. I've bought a thinning scissors to keep this up myself, you tie the top half of your hair up and cut the bottom half with the thinning scissors, it'll take a chunk of the weight out. I also comb my conditioner through it with a special wide bristle shower brush, it makes brushing after washing it a bit less time consuming.

I've found if I don't get it thinned and trimmed at least every 4 months, it becomes knotty and unmanageable.

I've never had an undercut but another girl I know has one to manage hers, she finds it great but only ever wears her down in work etc. I prefer to be able to tie my hair up some days so I go for the thinning option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

That’s ****ty of them, really bad form. I was in touch with my hairdresser on Friday and she said as soon as they are given the go ahead for opening, they will be contacting everyone they had to cancel on and they will be given priority. It’s the only fair way of doing it, imo.

I was banking on this kind of policy for all my beauty related appointments, otherwise I wont be seeing anybody for a few weeks after restrictions are lifted :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My hairdressers cancelled all appointments until June 1st, so the moment they did that, I booked for the first week of June. They’re a very small salon and it’s often tricky enough to get appointments 8 weeks in advance, so I didn’t want to take any chances. I’ll do the same if they have to stay closed for longer, I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Just contacted my hairdressers and instead of holding my appointment that got cancelled the week they closed, they scarped all previous appointments and are now fully booked for six week after they re-open.. think I'm just gonna go back to bed and cry!

Sounds like they don't want or value you as a customer. Move on and never look back. That is just insulting behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Has anyone used an at home lash dying kit? Do they work? are they easy to use?

I use l,000 hours very easy to use. Did it yesterday with lashes and eyebrows myself, no bother doing the lashes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I don't have very thick hair, but in the past I wasn't managing my hair type properly. It's actually much more curly then I thought previously! I was dealing with frizziness, wouldn't stay straight unless practically singed with a GHD. Have you tried changing the way you actually treat your hair (and sorry if that sounds patronising)? I'm not saying go full Curly Girl Method, but maybe with a bit of time now and not being able to see people it's a good way to experiment?

I only brush my hair when I'm out of the shower (wash twice a week), on the in between days I would just about smooth over the top if it needed, and honestly it often doesn't.

Been using this conditioner lately and I love it. Full disclosure I got it in a goody bag but I will be purchasing when I run out https://www.lookfantastic.com/shea-moisture-coconut-hibiscus-curl-shine-conditioner-379ml/11309660.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=EUR&shippingcountry=IE&shoppingpid=cyberweekendsave20off&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000020771068&adtype=pla&product_id=11309660&gclid=CjwKCAjwkPX0BRBKEiwA7THxiIbCe7fJvPUTx8VjDp5dT50wfhta-h3CeNZ2wzVha1dR58tJGhOsJBoCR0AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I dry it with a diffuser now, avoiding blasting with the focused nozzle. It allows my hair to fall into its natural pattern and sits much better, instead of being blasted and pulled one direction and the other.

Now, saying all this, I like my naturally curly/wavy hair, and don't feel the need or pressure for it to be "polished", ie blow-dried or straightened. Not everyone is comfortable with that - no shade, that's life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

My hair is not as thick as yours but I had big issues with brushing it also as I’ve very fine hair and lots of it so it easily tangles plus my last hair dresser messed up highlights and basically bleached my hair yellow and I’m still gradually growing that out as a balayage with my new hairdresser. I got a 12 week blow dry done as like you I couldn’t get a brush through my hair esp if it got rained on but short hair doesn’t suit me. It was worth every penny!! Highly recommend as my hair was like silk afterwards and so much easier to dry, brush and manage

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Have you tried a Wet Brush for detangling your hair? I have VERY thick hair, and find it so much better than a Tangle Teezer.

I've found if I don't get it thinned and trimmed at least every 4 months, it becomes knotty and unmanageable.

100% and I am past that so very literally tearing my hair out (trying to brush it :D) I do get it heavily thinned everytime I get it done but really after the first wash I'm back to knots. If I let my hair dry naturally, it takes about 8+ hours and if I wash near bed time its still wet the next day :(
    Twee. wrote: »
    Now, saying all this, I like my naturally curly/wavy hair, and don't feel the need or pressure for it to be "polished", ie blow-dried or straightened. Not everyone is comfortable with that - no shade, that's life!

I barely ever run heat over my hair. I love it straight but rarely do it because I feel like I'd need hulks arms to keep my arms up to blow dry and straighten it. I leave it to dry and its just wavy but I do tie it up a lot.

Don't use an awful lot of products bar the odd conditioning mask. I'll have a look into the one you mentioned thanks!
    My hair is not as thick as yours but I had big issues with brushing it also as I’ve very fine hair and lots of it so it easily tangles plus my last hair dresser messed up highlights and basically bleached my hair yellow and I’m still gradually growing that out as a balayage with my new hairdresser. I got a 12 week blow dry done as like you I couldn’t get a brush through my hair esp if it got rained on but short hair doesn’t suit me. It was worth every penny!! Highly recommend as my hair was like silk afterwards and so much easier to dry, brush and manage

Ugh a couple of years ago I also did a ballyage - Its gone now thank god. Learned me and blonde is a no, my poor hair was in bits and even more difficult to manage. I've thought about the 12 week blow - dry.... I'm very interested thank you!!
    cee_jay wrote: »
    Have you tried a Wet Brush for detangling your hair? I have VERY thick hair, and find it so much better than a Tangle Teezer.

I have one! It is my better brush alright but getting the knots down from the roots - ouch. I just wish my hair wouldnt knot so easily.

Thanks for all the tips ladies, I was mid brush yesterday after a shower and was walking around the house yelling like a crazy and needed to vent :) Think I'm going to look into the 12 week and the undercut and see which might work better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

updated link:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33030198808.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6ba71de3SFxOEK&algo_pvid=66e53453-ad98-4a3a-a9d5-7503914d3882&algo_expid=66e53453-ad98-4a3a-a9d5-7503914d3882-57&btsid=0ab50a5715875593680477227e86a6&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

leaving a link above for a brilliant brush you can get for a few euros on Aliexpress - loads of different sellers have them - that's just the first one I came up against on Google. Have seen Irish sellers on Instagram etc selling for more expensive.

Slides through thick knotty hair - have bought a few of them for people who love them. I dont really use it for styling though - just the initial comb through in the morning after washing but wouldn't be without it.

ams wrote: »

That link doesnt work for me - is there a name for them?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

That link doesnt work for me - is there a name for them?

Thanks! :)

Sorry should have checked that link - will amend post!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have that brush that ams has linked - really good and gets through my hair quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

Has anyone here tried Swiss O Par eyelash and brow dye kit? I need to tint my brows and got this before the lockdown but now that I've opened it I realise it's not what I'm used to. The leaflet doesn't mention anything about patch testing. It has a tube of clear gel and a bottle of liquid, I don't know which one I should be patch testing with. It says the gel contains silver nitrate? Help please :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Patch test with both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Anyone else find their hair is in great condition? I'm definitely not washing it as much, and not drying or straightening it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Anyone else find their hair is in great condition? I'm definitely not washing it as much, and not drying or straightening it at all.

Yup definitely, haven't seen a hair straightener in weeks!
    My skin however is in absolute sh*te from wearing masks in work. Probably the stress eating of chocolate too. Really annoying as I'd spent years getting into good condition and my usual go to products aren't cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Scraggs wrote: »
    Yup definitely, haven't seen a hair straightener in weeks!
    My skin however is in absolute sh*te from wearing masks in work. Probably the stress eating of chocolate too. Really annoying as I'd spent years getting into good condition and my usual go to products aren't cutting it.

I'm outdoors a lot more than I'd usually be, so the freckles on my face have multiplied big time ... I dread to think what I'll look like after a few months of this. :o And that's even with factor 50 sunscreen on every day!!!

I'm in a lot more than usual and I did a full face the other day, my Armani foundation in shade 2 is too dark :pac: They recently added 1.5 to the range so may have to try that if this keeps going on. Determined to get out of my funk though and get back to the walking!

As an aside, I did a full face because I was following one of Ken Boylan's Insta live tutorials. It was absolutely brilliant, really easy to follow along. It was for a smokey eye with a hint of navy, my best ever attempt at a smokey eye! I kept it on all day, was very glam in my trackies and full face done. He's done a few so far so hopefully continues https://www.instagram.com/kenboylanmakeupplay/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Also on the topic of full faces and good hair days - I definitely think my hair is in better condition from not using as much heat as usual. I apply some bit of makeup every day as part of my routine, helps me to feel "normal". My Mam's hair is growing out quickly; she has never seen so much grey! She's tempted to just let it grow out completely at this stage.

@Salty, start a new thread about the eyelash serum and you'll get more answers, it'll get lost in here! I can't split it out from this thread as I'll lose the second part of your post here :)

My mam was only saying similar about her own hair, thinking she'll embrace the silver and get more ash blonde highlights to blend in when this is all over. She usually goes for warmer blonde and a bit of copper.

https://ibb.co/d7DQkBQ
    https://ibb.co/mSPDcwm

With iGlow, took about 2 months to work

Twee. wrote: »
    @Salty, start a new thread about the eyelash serum and you'll get more answers, it'll get lost in here! I can't split it out from this thread as I'll lose the second part of your post here :)

My mam was only saying similar about her own hair, thinking she'll embrace the silver and get more ash blonde highlights to blend in when this is all over. She usually goes for warmer blonde and a bit of copper.

Will do Twee, thank you :)

https://ibb.co/d7DQkBQ
    https://ibb.co/mSPDcwm

With iGlow, took about 2 months to work

Thanks for the recommendation! Can really see the difference.

Having taken off my shellac last week and living with bare nails for the first time in about 18 months, I don't think I'll be inclined to get them done again when this is all over. Quite liking the au natural look :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Salty wrote: »
    Having taken off my shellac last week and living with bare nails for the first time in about 18 months, I don't think I'll be inclined to get them done again when this is all over. Quite liking the au natural look :pac:

Oh I'm hating mine. Can't wait to get them done again

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

My acne is going mad without being able to get my treatments :( what are peoples predictions on salons etc re-opening? It's hard to know as it will be impossible to maintain social distance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

katie275 wrote: »
    My acne is going mad without being able to get my treatments :( what are peoples predictions on salons etc re-opening? It's hard to know as it will be impossible to maintain social distance

I doubt it will be this side of summer. What sort of treatments do you get? Could someone from the salon maybe advise on a home treatment plan that could help in the interim? I really feel for you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

I doubt it will be this side of summer. What sort of treatments do you get? Could someone from the salon maybe advise on a home treatment plan that could help in the interim? I really feel for you :(

I'm getting a combination of microdermabrasion and skin peels, I'm good with my 'at home' regime but it gets out of control easily. I'm due to get married next April and my skin was doing really well! I know I could be worse off though xx

• Advertisement

katie275 wrote: »
    I'm getting a combination of microdermabrasion and skin peels, I'm good with my 'at home' regime but it gets out of control easily. I'm due to get married next April and my skin was doing really well! I know I could be worse off though xx

What peels were you getting?

Advertisement