Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

Re: Shellac, I got my beautician to drop off remover. She told me what to do. I actually WhatsApped her to make sure that I was doing it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

priorities, ay?

tdf7187 wrote: »
    priorities, ay?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

priorities, ay?

Given that this is the beauty forum, yes. It's not as if I posted it in the main Corona virus forum!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

priorities, ay?

This is the Beauty forum so is right on topic. Perhaps familiarise with the tone of a forum that's new to you before posting.

@Caranica - please use the report function if you have a problem with a post so as not to further derail the thread and to bring to a mod's attention.

• Advertisement

Hair and beauty during Covid pandemic threads merged!

Shellac removal on Insta highlights from Tropical Popical. Pharmacy should have acetone, or if regular remover make sure it contains acetone, some are acetone free. https://www.instagram.com/tropicalpopical/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

priorities, ay?

You do realise it's possible to care about multiple things at once, right? It's even possible to still care about grooming. Keeping up a routine and self care is important. Do you stop listening to music or showering or eating because of the pandemic?

Back on topic, the Magnitone is fantastic, highly recommend. Obviously it's not going to compare to a wax but it's the closest thing IMO. Every other lady shaves/ bikini trimmers I've tried are crap

I've just found this home removal kit for Shellac/gel polish and have ordered. To be sent out next week but what's another week :D

https://www.themanicurecompany.com/products/gel-polish-removal-kit?variant=31896036343868

Caranica wrote: »
    I've just found this home removal kit for Shellac/gel polish and have ordered. To be sent out next week but what's another week :D

https://www.themanicurecompany.com/products/gel-polish-removal-kit?variant=31896036343868

A great homegrown company too :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Back on topic, the Magnitone is fantastic, highly recommend. Obviously it's not going to compare to a wax but it's the closest thing IMO. Every other lady shaves/ bikini trimmers I've tried are crap

How close of a shave does it give in comparison to a wet shave with a razor? Are you completely smooth after or is there still a hint of bristle?

Thanks. Glad to hear from someone who's used it. I hate the thought of shaving but I hate the the thought of being hairy even more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Has Anyone recommendations for removing female facial hair?
    It’s become worse over the last few years, possibly hormonal. I usually pluck out the dark hairs but lately I’m finding that there’s too many and I end up with lots of tiny spots and bumps where I do pluck. Mainly upper lip.

Obviously can’t go to a beautician at moment.
    Do creams work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's having issues in these strange and unexpected times.

What are people doing with Shellac/gel polishes that are growing out?

Secondly, waxing. I'm a serial Hollywood waxer but the salon closed the day before my appointment and I'm really uncomfortable with the hair. I've waxed for over a decade and know not to shave, but can I use a cream. If so, any recommendations for bikini area?

I was meant to get my shellac removed tomorrow - obviously that has been cancelled! My salon put up a story on instagram showing people how to remove the polish safely without completely wrecking their nails. They use acetone so I'm gonna buy some for myself and give it a go. I was planning on taking a break from the gel polish anyway.

In relation to the hollywood wax - I have no recommendations, sorry. But I have never been so happy as I am now to have gotten the whole lot lasered off last year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Thankfully I have no grey hairs..Yet and my colour is just about close enough to my natural shade so I wont be bothered too much by roots. I picked my gel nails off about a week ago, nails were in bits so uch that I had to cut them but theyre much better since.
    Ive been cutting my own split ends, just got a little nail scissors and have been chopping away when im watching netflix. It keeps my hair healthy without actually giving it a full cut. Otherwise im not leaving the house at all really so dont care if I look like ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Which DIY hair dye is the best to use?
    An unformulated one.

Its one you mix up yourself rather than a box dye. If its to cover grey ...lowish level developer along with any professional colour you want.

If its bleaching usually a higher level developer with the right bleaching powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

My hair is in absolute bits. I usually get my colour done every 6 weeks, now it hasn't been done since December 14th!! I had intended to stretch it to first weekend to February to get over the January financial woes, but then felt it was already too risky at that stage to go to the salon due to coronavirus. I think I will have to bite the bullet and use a box dye. Any recommendations for a nice copper for over brown? I know the salon mix two shades so ilI know I'll never get it right.

I'm using a L'Oréal copper dye, it doesn't deposit any brown just an even copper wash!

https://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/products/hair-colour/permanent-hair-dye/colorista-copper-permanent-hair-dye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Teach30 wrote: »
    Has Anyone recommendations for removing female facial hair?
    It’s become worse over the last few years, possibly hormonal. I usually pluck out the dark hairs but lately I’m finding that there’s too many and I end up with lots of tiny spots and bumps where I do pluck. Mainly upper lip.

Obviously can’t go to a beautician at moment.
    Do creams work?

At home IPL is your best bet, you'll want to shave and then IPL.
    I have this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6SJ4NU/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_.2BFEbTEXP6RJ

Nadine Baggot has a good video about it on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I seen someone comment online last night: you’ve probably spent quite a lot of time and money on your hair the past few months and years. Don’t risk all of that on a box dye for the sake of a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Today FM had a hairdresser on earlier giving some tips. It was sometime between 9.30 and 10 if anyone wants to listen back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I seen someone comment online last night: you’ve probably spent quite a lot of time and money on your hair the past few months and years. Don’t risk all of that on a box dye for the sake of a few weeks.
    That is ridiculous.

Unless you are going to do something REALLY unwise you won't screw up that bad.

Do your research. Box dyes aren't great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

How close of a shave does it give in comparison to a wet shave with a razor? Are you completely smooth after or is there still a hint of bristle?

You do have to go over the areas a few times but it is pretty smooth. The real test will be whether there'll be the same regrowth as wet shaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

This crisis is likely to be months rather than weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Surely a semi permanent box dye wouldn't damage hair coloured in a hairdressers. I have never had my hair dyed in a hairdressers, but noticed the different shades in my hair because of using different types of permanent dyes. I stripped my hair last week and re- dyed it with a semi permanent and it looks great now, all one shade but it's dark so that's how I like it. I imagine it would be more difficult to achieve the desired shave with highlighted hair.

I have decided to pluck any stray eyebrow hairs every couple of days to try stay close to the shape threading gives me. And to the poster asking about hair removal creams, I use one on my lip and chin hair. I have sensitive skin and even those recommended for sensitive skin are often too harsh so I smear a layer of Vaseline on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Honeydew3456

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's having issues in these strange and unexpected times.

What are people doing with Shellac/gel polishes that are growing out?

Secondly, waxing. I'm a serial Hollywood waxer but the salon closed the day before my appointment and I'm really uncomfortable with the hair. I've waxed for over a decade and know not to shave, but can I use a cream. If so, any recommendations for bikini area?

I am the same, serial hollywood waxer, 2 days ago I bought veet facial wax strips, used these on that area and am delighted with the results. Almost salon perfect :)

I got my shellacs removed 2 weeks ago thankfully but I think if you buy polish remover with lots of acetone and soak your nails with this it should remove them well. Sally hansen gel polish is a great alternative to the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Honeydew3456

I don't care what other people think of it. It depresses me to look at it.

Me too :( I had an appointment for a full head of highlights next week and it's a killer knowing I can't do anything with it for the foreseeable!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I can't find nice copper dye anywhere to buy online.

I am the same, serial hollywood waxer, 2 days ago I bought veet facial wax strips, used these on that area and am delighted with the results. Almost salon perfect :)

Did you do it yourself? I'd rather go down that route then shave but I'm nervous about trying to wax myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

You should really look at this as an opportunity to either embrace your natural self or learn how to do it yourself.

I always opted for the former but if you must cover things up then it's never been easier to learn how to do it yourself and save yourself money, time and convenience now and in the future.

Seriously though, it's very liberating to be your natural self. Now I'm not talking hairy pits or anything (although if that's your thing then that's fine too). But let your hair grow out a bit, you might like what you see underneath.

Treat your skin and nails to a rest from make up and polish and try some home made natural treatments.

• Advertisement

You should really look at this as an opportunity to either embrace your natural self or learn how to do it yourself.

I always opted for the former but if you must cover things up then it's never been easier to learn how to do it yourself and save yourself money, time and convenience now and in the future.

Seriously though, it's very liberating to be your natural self. Now I'm not talking hairy pits or anything (although if that's your thing then that's fine too). But let your hair grow out a bit, you might like what you see underneath.

Treat your skin and nails to a rest from make up and polish and try some home made natural treatments.

That may work for you but it's just not for everyone. For whatever reason personal to them.

Thanks to my genes I've been colouring my hair since I was 16. I get my nails done because it's 45 minutes away from a high stress job where I have to just stop. Waxing is a personal thing. I don't do tan, fillers, hd brows etc so don't consider myself high maintenance but not being able to keep up what I do do is actually stressful.

Thanks to everyone who's helped answer my question.

Advertisement