Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I would normally get gel nails or paint them myself but since peeling off my gel nails over 2 weeks ago, I havnt painted them, just left them alone as ive not been going anywhere. My nails are much healthier and stronger. Usually they'd break by now and would be thin, flaky and the whites would look terrible.
    Sine last week ive been filing them down as they have been growing so long and the whites are even, theyre much thicker too. Goes to show how damaging nail polish is.

Yep fake nails and gel nails do that too.

Saying that after this is over I am treating myself to some fake nails for a while! Long assed ones too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I ordered off this website last week - https://www.dpharmacy.ie/ - I have absolutely no relation to them or anything just stumbled across them as Boots were sold out of hair dye - they delivered really quickly and I would definately use them again. I placed an order with boots over a week ago and its logged as 'being processed' but given the pressure they are under I am unsure if its likely to arrive any time soon.

I've the hairdye I bought ready to use once my roots get on my nerves enough - I've balyage from growing out a botched highlight job so just got colour to stick on my roots so hopefully it wont go too wrong its only semi permanent anyway. I've friends who are going mad colouring their hair all sorts of reds and pinks but im too scared too as knowing my luck it would look awful an not go away!

I do my own eyebrows and waxing anyway so thats fine - just waiting on the wax from boots. I do my own gel nails with the mylee gel kit but like the posters above agree the gel does damage and weaken nails which is a pity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I do my own gel nails with the mylee gel kit but like the posters above agree the gel does damage and weaken nails which is a pity

Gel nails or gel polish? I've had gel polish constantly for all bar 1 week of the last 5.5 years and my nails are in great condition.

Caranica wrote: »
    Gel nails or gel polish? I've had gel polish constantly for all bar 1 week of the last 5.5 years and my nails are in great condition.

Ah sorry gel polish! I apply with the LED lamp. I found my nails thinner and weaker after it so I’ve been applying hardener before I do them again

Ah sorry gel polish! I apply with the LED lamp. I found my nails thinner and weaker after it so I’ve been applying hardener before I do them again

That happens me if I spend time in my parents as they have a lot of lime in the water and it wrecks your nails. But thankfully not when I'm at home. As I've posted earlier in this thread, I do my nails more as a therapy than anything else. I have to stop and leave my high stress job behind for 45 minutes. Not working at the moment so I'm ok :)

• Advertisement

oh now thats interesting as our water is spo hard we go through about four kettles a year!! And thats in spite of me adding softener

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

That happens me if I spend time in my parents as they have a lot of lime in the water and it wrecks your nails. But thankfully not when I'm at home. As I've posted earlier in this thread, I do my nails more as a therapy than anything else. I have to stop and leave my high stress job behind for 45 minutes. Not working at the moment so I'm ok :)

Oooh that's interesting! I'm waiting on a removal kit to arrive from The Manicure Company - I refuse to peel off my gel polish :p I'm intrigued to see what condition my nails are in. When I got them done last, the tech told me my nails were quite weak and I should take a break. I have always had naturally strong nails and have been getting gel polish done for about 18 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I just came to mention that shaving instead of waxing is absolute sh!t. It's the absolutely only thing I can't take care of myself and it is the number one most infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

s1ippy wrote: »
    I just came to mention that shaving instead of waxing is absolute sh!t. It's the absolutely only thing I can't take care of myself and it is the number one most infuriating.

When this is all over, I'd recommend laser hair removal. I go to Therapie and find them great. It's expensive but you'll end up saving a fortune in the long run on waxing and razors etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What's the timeline like for laser? I've often thought about it but never pulled the trigger. But I'm planning a big move at the end of the year so I don't want to get started on a process that might be 6 months or more of a commitment until after said move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Faith wrote: »
    What's the timeline like for laser? I've often thought about it but never pulled the trigger. But I'm planning a big move at the end of the year so I don't want to get started on a process that might be 6 months or more of a commitment until after said move.

It's generally about 6 months, but can be longer. There are certain areas for me that I'll probably have to go for top-up sessions on forever, but you're only talking maybe a couple of times a year. You see major results from even the first session, for example I've only had one session on my underarms and I'd say I've had 70% reduction in growth from that one session ... I have very thick dark hair and pale skin, so apparently that makes me an ideal candidate!

If I were you I'd just bite the bullet and go for it, they tailor the timeline to your own circumstances, so will work around your move - and assuming you're staying in Ireland, it's not a problem at all to move from one clinic to another.

Wish it would work for me, I'm too fair :(

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I've been doing my own waxing for years. The pre waxed strips are great but I've also used the wax pots and the microwave sugar wax. If you are just starting out DIY use the pre waxed strips. Cut them to the size you want them. I usually cut the strip in 4 for bikini and underarm. I tried Tesco own brand for the first time last week (xprt satin) and can recommend (especially at half the price of veet).

As far as my hair is concerned (insert crying emoji here). I was stretching it out and due to get it coloured and cut just before the 20th March. I haven't seen more than an inch of my natural colour in 19years. If all of this settles down magically by Easter Sunday (and if it does it'll be a bigger miracle than that from the bible) then the earliest I can get my hair fixed will leave me with a 12 week root issue. I'm seriously contemplating just letting it be for now but I badly need a trim. My sister-in-law who is a barber may be requested into service yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I'm not so bothered about my hair, I get a 16 week blow dry done normally and was due it soon but it is what it is. I don't get it cut as often as I should anyway so no issues there and I really couldn't care less about the colour as long as the condition is good (which it is as I have reduced washing and heat styling).

I am very bothered by my eyebrows though as they have taken years to get to a point where I am happy with them so I guess I will just wait until things are back up & running and hope I dont pull them out myself (I pull at them a lot when I am really anxious, stressed or wound up...all of which I can see happening as things get more restricted!).

In regards to nails, I used to wear penneys glue ons all the time, then about a year ago started getting gel polish done and they were in much better condition. I was due to get them done again just as everything started to shut down - I have lots of nail varnish so I guess I will try painting them, more to protect them from knocks than anything esle.

My skin is taking a battering from being indoors, so I need to rummage through my skincare and put a proper routine in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

JustMe,K wrote: »

My skin is taking a battering from being indoors, so I need to rummage through my skincare and put a proper routine in place.

My skin is great cause i'm stick face-masks on while working and not wearing make up (well apart from video meetings).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Amazon have sold out of cheap mens clippers, had some in my basket last night, forgot to order and now sold out.

Them seem to be sold put of anything reasonably priced :(

I managed to pick up one on the Argos Ireland eBay store if you're still looking

Telly wrote: »
    My skin is great cause i'm stick face-masks on while working and not wearing make up (well apart from video meetings).

Thats actually a great idea that I think I will take up :)

Faith wrote: »

Mine was spaced out over 12 months but I'm sure it could be tailored to your situation, especially if you get it done in a clinic with lots of different locations.

It is well worth it!! One of the best things I have ever done for myself.

JustMe,K wrote: »

How so? My skin is in mint condition because I'm not wearing makeup. Also being outdoors is more damaging for skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

How so? My skin is in mint condition because I'm not wearing makeup. Also being outdoors is more damaging for skin.

My skin is desperate, getting really dried out from sitting beside a blow heater all day. Trying to drink more water but that’s not even helping.

I also tend to pick at it way more when I’m anxious and when I’m not wearing makeup. So I wear makeup around the house makes me feel a bit better too.

• Advertisement

Teach30 wrote: »
    My skin is desperate, getting really dried out from sitting beside a blow heater all day. Trying to drink more water but that’s not even helping.

I also tend to pick at it way more when I’m anxious and when I’m not wearing makeup. So I wear makeup around the house makes me feel a bit better too.
    I see, that's a tough one. Maybe try some E45 moisturising lotion? I hope you're finding ways of de-stressing, anxiety is a bollocks. If you catch yourself at it, firmly say "NO" and stop, it worked with my cat so I tried it and you'd be surprised at how quickly you can deprogramme yourself!

PS I think you look gorgeous without makeup ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

When do ye reckon salons could be open again? I’m grand with my colour for another while but I got Great Lengths tapes applied a few weeks ago and I reckon they could be pretty raggedy by the end of April/beginning of May. I know some salons are doing a service online where they show clients how to remove them themselves but I think I’d pull the head off myself if I had to attempt that.

My waxer told me they're currently planning to open on 30 April

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Teach30 wrote: »

Get a thermal water spray like La roche posay or something ....then put moisturizer over it ..it helps seal in the moisture ..it saved my skin during winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

When this is all over, I'd recommend laser hair removal. I go to Therapie and find them great. It's expensive but you'll end up saving a fortune in the long run on waxing and razors etc.

Best money I've ever spent on myself, Therapie have a sale at the moment too so can book and use when they're back open.

I haven't had to do any hair removal for almost 2 years now, got 6 sessions 6 weeks apart and it was so worth it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Get a thermal water spray like La roche posay or something ....then put moisturizer over it ..it helps seal in the moisture ..it saved my skin during winter.

I keep a spray by my bed, it's my secret hangover helper :pac:

My skin has been a bit dry as well, likely all the central heating and probably not drinking enough water.

My hair is in great shape, been letting it air dry mostly and then just a blast with the diffuser. I was on a gals group call yesterday and everyone was saying my hair was lovely, fab what you can do with a bit of time on your hands! Too bad I've nowhere to go :p

Central heating mainly I would assume!

I've just found this home removal kit for Shellac/gel polish and have ordered. To be sent out next week but what's another week :D

https://www.themanicurecompany.com/products/gel-polish-removal-kit?variant=31896036343868

Really disappointed about this. Just got an email from The Manicure Company to say they've closed their warehouse as it's non essential. They didn't send the email when they closed but waited until the product should have been delivered. It's no use when the salons are open again. I'm not annoyed that they closed, just that they didn't tell us at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Has anyone used Alfaparf pigments before? I ordered a couple of them online just to try a little something different with my hair since I won’t be out in public really for the foreseeable. I shampooed my hair as normal, towel dried it, mixed some of a hair mask with approx half the tube of pigment, applied to the hair, left it on for about 30 mins, rinsed and.... nothing! Only that my hair is silky soft from the hair mask!
    What’s the correct way to apply the pigment? Am I correct in my understanding that it’s a non permanent wash of colour?

• Advertisement

Really disappointed about this. Just got an email from The Manicure Company to say they've closed their warehouse as it's non essential. They didn't send the email when they closed but waited until the product should have been delivered. It's no use when the salons are open again. I'm not annoyed that they closed, just that they didn't tell us at the time.

I'm in the same boat! Really disappointed.

Advertisement