Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

Does anyone know how long it's taking for Covid payment applications to be processed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

eh i dunno wrote: »
    What happens If you are paid minimum wage(not me) and the government is paying 75% of your wage under the wage subsidy scheme but your employer decides not to top up your wage? Can you be made work a full week when you will then be below minimum wage?

The government properly hoping employers don't take advantage of the
    situation, a lot of small shops opening next with many on minimum wage,

will the employers all just need to pay 75%?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Checked my MyWelfare account (anyway of getting rid of that text message code) and even though i got payed on the 2nd June its not showing up on my payment history ??

Wont be back in work til mid July and hoping i still get payed by the social up til then

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Checked my MyWelfare account (anyway of getting rid of that text message code) and even though i got payed on the 2nd June its not showing up on my payment history ??

Wont be back in work til mid July and hoping i still get payed by the social up til then

No need to worry, the special payment is not classified as a claim as such, when you log in and check claims active, you'll see none despite being on the Covid-19 unemployment payment. After logging in (if you have full gov.ie account, under your name there's a pop down menu and it should show payment history, payment history only updates after you've been paid by electronic transfer

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    The government properly hoping employers don't take advantage of the
    situation, a lot of small shops opening next with many on minimum wage,

will the employers all just need to pay 75%?

No, employers have a legal obligation to pay minimum wage regardless of the wage subsidy scheme.

The employer could reduce hours to 75% to be fully cover by TWSS but if they want full hours they have to pay the top-up.

• Advertisement

No, employers have a legal obligation to pay minimum wage regardless of the wage subsidy scheme.

The employer could reduce hours to 75% to be fully cover by TWSS but if they want full hours they have to pay the top-up.

I'm not sure this is correct, reading the temp legislation dealing with this issue, it would seem all norms out the window, redundancy, minimum wage, entitlements etc until this crisis over. Speaking to some people on this scheme, the employer is only obligated to make up the difference and certainly not obliged to top up.

It is in essence social welfare paid by revenue and I've absolutely no doubt many employers acting the maggot. If truth be known, I doubt a large percentage of businesses that either stayed open, opened in phase 1 and now, wouldn't be open without this scheme. I understand the merits of the scheme but I feel it won't be long before numerous unviable businesses with the help of the scheme are prolonging the inevitable and close for good. Its bordering on reckless trading sponsored by government basically.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got the €350 today, so guessing its from next week that it reduces for some people?

Kiith wrote: »
    Got the €350 today, so guessing its from next week that it reduces for some people?

I think it moves to two bands from 29th June, €203 per week for those who earned less than €199.99 per week prior to lockdown €350 remains for those who earned more than €199.99 per week prior to lockdown. Seems a very sensible approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Will full time workers have to prove they were full time in order to continue on the €350?

Will full time workers have to prove they were full time in order to continue on the €350?

No, Revenue will assess wages over a defined period prior to lockdown, and share this with social protection. Of course anyone who was "just let's say not on payroll, wink wink, will have trouble disputing if they are cut, the approach will be similar to the wage subsidy scheme, Revenue have all the payroll details etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

According to a post or two here and this RTE article, from the end of June the banding for PUP will work off whichever is the higher payment - average for the whole of 2019 or the first two months of 2020.

Are they including jsa/jb as a 'assessed payment' also or just working wage? If it'll just be working wage then it looks like anyone who was casual on X/0's (eg working 2-3 days one week, 1-2 the next, some 0 etc) will more then likely get put into the lower category payment going forward as their average 'wage' will actually be much lower then the banding rate, even though in theory some weeks they'd have more then 203 for themselves to live on given they worked for it. That's quite unfair to those folk, no?

According to a post or two here and this RTE article, from the end of June the banding for PUP will work off whichever is the higher payment - average for the whole of 2019 or the first two months of 2020.

Are they including jsa/jb as a 'assessed payment' also or just working wage? If just working wage then this looks like anyone who was casual on X/0's (say working 2-3 days one week, 0-1 the next and the odd 4 day week etc) will more then likely get put into the lower category payment going forward as their average 'wage' will actually be much lower then the banding rate, even though in theory some weeks they'd have more then 203 for themselves to live on. That's quite unfair to those folk, no?

You'd have to assume jsa wouldn't be included in the assessment, I could be wrong but if it's assumed people were earning minimum wage and working 3 days, claiming 2, they should be OK, it's going to be assessed on average earnings so it will be interesting but fair point raised

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Dempo1 wrote: »
    You'd have to assume jsa wouldn't be included in the assessment, I could be wrong but if it's assumed people were earning minimum wage and working 3 days, claiming 2, they should be OK, it's going to be assessed on average earnings so it will be interesting but fair point raised

Yep, if it's just working wage then someone working 3x8 hour days on minimum wage or above should in theory be in the higher band but anyone on a less days average or shorter shifts, like 5 hours x 2/3 days will probably end up being on the lower band which is highly unfair considering they were working and earning their fair part of maybe an extra 20-100 euro before..

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Has anyone confirmed with the DEASP how the 2 tier PUP is going to work for the self employed?
    It's not straight forward like an employee where Revenue have a continuous record of employment income.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭- bo -

Has anyone confirmed with the DEASP how the 2 tier PUP is going to work for the self employed?
    It's not straight forward like an employee where Revenue have a continuous record of employment income.

I've no idea, the whole self-employment/PUP thing has been confusing all along.

I went in to my local Intreo office yesterday to let them know that after being severely down on income throughout April/May (I'm registered as a sole trader), some payments were starting to come through now (I had a flurry of them over the space of a few days), and I didn't want to be taking the p*ss basically receiving €350 plus other income.

They took me off the payment but not before I asked that if things are dead again throughout July, would I be eligible to re-apply, and they said I could do so online.

On one hand I'm happy to be off the payment, on the other hand I do realise that the weeks and months ahead are going to be a massive struggle so it's good knowing I could re-apply temporarily.

- bo - wrote: »
    I've no idea, the whole self-employment/PUP thing has been confusing all along.

I went in to my local Intreo office yesterday to let them know that after being severely down on income throughout April/May (I'm registered as a sole trader), some payments were starting to come through now (I had a flurry of them over the space of a few days), and I didn't want to be taking the p*ss basically receiving €350 plus other income.

They took me off the payment but not before I asked that if things are dead again throughout July, would I be eligible to re-apply, and they said I could do so online.

On one hand I'm happy to be off the payment, on the other hand I do realise that the weeks and months ahead are going to be a massive struggle so it's good knowing I could re-apply temporarily.

Did they say how they were going to implement this 2 tier system with regards to the self employed ... as when you're self employed you will not always pay yourself depending on business like an employer pays an employee! Will it remain the 350/EUR flat rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

I'm a student and have been laid off from my work since March. Was yesterday (Tuesday) the last day of the 350 payment for me? Will I be getting the 203 rate from next Tuesday? Thanks

I'm a student and have been laid off from my work since March. Was yesterday (Tuesday) the last day of the 350 payment for me? Will I be getting the 203 rate from next Tuesday? Thanks

This change to the rates of payment will take effect from June 29. For those who will receive the €203 rate this will be visible in your payment on Tuesday July 7.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

will they let you knw before hand what rate you will be paid ??

because before this i was on Xs and Os and would of got small payments for 4 weeks between Jan-Mar 2020 and the other weeks would be working over 20 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone get a back payment yet? Or is that completely off the cards now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭- bo -

Did they say how they were going to implement this 2 tier system with regards to the self employed ... as when you're self employed you will not always pay yourself depending on business like an employer pays an employee! Will it remain the 350/EUR flat rate?

No mention of it at all to me. I was in there less than 5 minutes. I do remember when applying online through welfare.ie having to state how much I had taken in over the past 6 months (I think 6?) which would be over the €350 - so I'd assume it would be based on that? All guesswork though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭GBX

GBX wrote: »
    Quick question: I'm returning to work on Monday full time. I've been in receipt of the covid payment since March. Which I will be closing off payment with the department of social welfare. Will I be getting a payment on Tuesday? Was it paid as a back week payment
    Yes, PUP is paid on Tuesday in arrears (Fri-Thurs)

If you close your claim on Monday you will get two payments for:

1. Fri - Thur (1st Tuesday)
    2. Fri - Sun (2nd Tuesday - at present this is a full payment as they don't have facility for part payments.)

Just on this, I went back to work and declared back to work last week. So far no further payment into my account. It had been in my bank late Monday or early Tuesday throughout me receiving the payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

I've now received my FOURTH COVID dole payment despite sending three previous ones back. I'm receiving so much free money for nothing I'm double checking to see if SF are in the coalition after all :pac:

When the crisis started, I immediately applied for the COVID dole. My employer sent me an email later in the week saying they'd enlist me for the wage subsidy, but I kept my application open while I waited to see if it would definitely happen. Received two COVID payments, 700 in total, alongside my wage subsidy, before they cut me off with an email saying I wasn't eligible for both. Fair enough I says. Decided to sit on the 700 for then, put it to my rent, will return when or if I receive a request to do so, or preferably have it gradually deducted via tax next year if that's an option.

On May 5th out of nowhere, and nearly a month after I was cut off, I received another 350. I bank transferred it back to the DSP, and received the same stock email as before saying I wasn't entitled to claim while receiving wage subsidy. Cut off again. Fair enough.

June 2nd, again out of nowhere, I'm re enrolled for it and receive 350. I have now received 350 on May 5th, June 2nd, June 9th and today (16th), despite having refunded 5th, 2nd, and 9th and informed them specifically last week I'd refunded these, I'd never requested it and I'd already refunded most of the payments.

Given the moves to free gaffs for direct provision residents with dubious claims I don't know why the **** I should even re pay them to be quite honest.

Anyone know what the story is with my initial 700? Will it be deducted from tax or will they want a direct transfer? I'd sooner pay it at 6 quid a week over 2 years via PAYE if that was an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

I see the 2018 tax return will be used for assessing income for the self-employed.

From what time period will my earnings be examined?
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ce26b-how-your-earnings-are-accessed-for-the-change-in-rate-in-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

It doesn't specify how income will be assessed. Is it the "Amount of income or profits arising for this period" under Schedule D income?

The DEASP do not know so I called Revenue, as they will be providing the income figures, but they're not contactable.

"If you are an employee, the Department will examine your average gross weekly earnings in 2019 and January and February 2020"

Does this take into account weeks that you didn't work? So for example if you earned €400 per week in January but nothing in February is the average €400 or €200?

VG31 wrote: »
    "If you are an employee, the Department will examine your average gross weekly earnings in 2019 and January and February 2020"

Does this take into account weeks that you didn't work? So for example if you earned €400 per week in January but nothing in February is the average €400 or €200?

Yes, I would suspect it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

WSS question..
    If I am receiving the wss and I am receiving the 85% figure,
    Am I right in saying that this figure is then gonna be taxed again at the end of the year.

So essentially between the WSS and the tax on it I am gonna receive a pay cut ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I lost my job and applied for PUP. How long will this last for? Is it until August because that's how far they extended the payment, or do I get 12 weeks out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

It'll be until August, it’s not automatically 12 weeks, just to current end date

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

snowgal wrote: »
    It'll be until August, it’s not automatically 12 weeks, just to current end date

How do you know this? I can't find information on how long this payment lasts?

Advertisement