Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating out/eating in - takeaways, restaurants and meal delivery Megathread

Options

Comments

madmac187 wrote: »
    Incorrect, you will be infected, it’s one of the myths.

What's your proof that the virus can survive being digested in stomach acid?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Haven't ordered anything, and probably won't for a while.

I passed a chipper a few days ago and there were about 6 staff in a heap on top of one another behind the counter in a narrow space, wouldn't exactly do wonders for the appetite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Long_Wave wrote: »
    FFS

Very insightful. A post that'll save lives and possibly Mankind

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Em maybe the fact that it has to pass through your mouth and throat etc to get to the stomach.

As was said, if I had the virus, I sneezed on your food and you put in your mouth you think you wouldn't get it.
    Dunno what you don't understand tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I haven't heard that before and doubt it. How does the potentially virus infected food get to your stomach without infecting you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭KaneToad

That's assuming that said virus goes to the stomach and the acid therein. Would it not adhere to the palette, tonsils, oesophagus, and other sundry parts of the upper respiratory tract just as easily as go straight to the stomach?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Poll to follow

I was thinking of getting my first food takeaway in 2 months next week.
    • Are you still getting them?
    • What precautions are you taking if you do?

My over thinking mind went: "what if a asymptomatic carrier makes my burger? What if an asymptomatic driver delivers it?"

Spray down the carry bag it comes in?

Spray down any plastic containers of the takeaway?

At what point of the R0 do we need to stop worrying about this? 0.5? Lower again?

Why would you spray down the bag and containers? You aren't eating them and you would probably end up contaminating your food with chemicals. Take the food out, put it on your own plate and wash your hands. If you want to be extra safe just reheat the food.

Takeaways and drive thrus here are super busy. Yet the number of new infections is still falling. This indicates to me that food is not a huge risk of infection ,otherwise more people would be getting infected.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Very insightful. A post that'll save lives

Thanks

Whereas yours has ? Get a takeaway and eat the damn thing, you could choke on the food you make at home just as easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

It’s only according to the WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION. Page 2 line 2.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/nepal-documents/novel-coronavirus/un-rumour-tracking-english-issue-2.pdf?sfvrsn=bd68b830_2

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Is a growing body if evidence that the virus can be found in fecal matter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Takeaways and drive thrus here are super busy. Yet the number of new infections is still falling. This indicates to me that food is not a huge risk of infection ,otherwise more people would be getting infected.

No, that'll be the nationwide lockdown and restrictions that's reduced the R0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    So I ordered my weekly Chinese takeaway delivery this evening. Wasn't even sure they would be open. They told me they are closing tomorrow for the foreseeable, for staff safety etc. It's easy to forget about the risks to staff bunched together in a kitchen even if you aren't going in and sitting down and mingling.

Do people think all takeaways should close, or is there scope for those who might manage to achieve separation in the kitchen to continue?

The Chinese somehow tasted better than ever, knowing that it was another thing you used to take for granted now gone for awhile.

Haven't had any desire to get a Chinese post virus

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

€10 per hour staff in take away, dont think they would be too enthusiastic at the best of times to be working and now you trust they are taking every single action possible to maintain 100% hygiene during a killer virus outbreak, enjoy you food with a side of Corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Blazer wrote: »
    So called Chinese food here is not Chinese. It’s actually Thai or Korean.
    If Chinese only started offering what they actually eat in China they’d be closed down from lack of orders I’d say within a day.
    Indian food is really the only one that reflects what they actually eat at home in India.
    And even then if you eat real Indian food, the takeaway is only a cheap imitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

madmac187 wrote: »
    This is another of these "no evidence of ... " capers. It's not proof that stomach acid doesn't kill it.

If there is a reasonable possibility that takeaways are risky then why are they allowed?

As it happens, we got a takeaway this evening and I had to queue outside with 5 or 6 other people all waiting at same time. If this isn't a good idea then we should be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes obviously. But restaurants are still serving food to people. People are still getting fast food. There have been precisely zero cases linked to these activities. If it was that easy to get infected by consuming food prepared by a sick person then there would be more cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Saw delivery driver pulling up his mask and headding off with a hot box surely his hands are contaminated if he is asymptomatic,
    Placing your health in others hands
    No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Order for delivery, pay in advance by credit card, take in the bag which the driver leaves at the door. Wash hands. Dish up and take packing to outside bin. Wash hands again.

Lastly Microwave each dish for 1 min.

Can’t see how there’s any risk here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭eggy81

The nationwide lockdown and restrictions has made takeaway food less of a risk to the person eating it?

AmberGold wrote: »
    Order for delivery, pay in advance by credit card, take in the bag which the driver leaves at the door. Wash hands. Dish up and take packing to outside bin. Wash hands again.

Lastly Microwave each dish for 1 min.

Can’t see how there’s any risk here.

If you’re going to ruin a takeaway in the microwave then you’d be as well off just knocking something together yourself.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's not like "the corona" is hiding in the food...

The same risk applies to packaging in supermarkets etc. Unless you are licking the containers that your food comes in, you are going to be fine.

Or touching the containers and touching your face, which is extremely easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Glebee

Our local chipper is only allowing 3 people into the chipper at any one time. People then have to queue outside on the street to get into the chipper. No delivery service available. It does be mental at times. Dont think I could be bothered. Id love a McDonalds though for some reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wouldn’t go near a hotel take-away or any other one for that matter now, simply because there’s no way the food is fresh.

Hotels batch making veg in the morning and microwaving it during the day. Meat that’s been in freezers for ages finally getting used etc - Chips batch made.

Nothing fresh at the moment.

Eg for Boojums, generally everything is made on site but now they’re batch making/cutting everything in one hub and delivering it around the country to their locations then - Nothing is fresh.

And of course.. you’re still paying full whack for the privilege.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t go near a hotel take-away or any other one for that matter now, simply because there’s no way the food is fresh.

Hotels batch making veg in the morning and microwaving it during the day. Meat that’s been in freezers for ages finally getting used etc - Chips batch made.

Nothing fresh at the moment.

Eg for Boojums, generally everything is made on site but now they’re batch making/cutting everything in one hub and delivering it around the country to their locations then - Nothing is fresh.

And of course.. you’re still paying full whack for the privilege.

Having worked in a hotel kitchen, the vegetables once cooked along with other hot foods are put into hot holding and discarded after 4 hours, also what's the problem with meat from a freezer?

Having worked in a hotel kitchen, the vegetables once cooked along with other hot foods are put into hot holding and discarded after 4 hours, also what's the problem with meat from a freezer?

It’s not fresh - I literally said it in my post.

There’s very few places with a slaughterhouse out the back. I’d say you wouldn’t even know the difference between meat that had been frozen and not if you weren’t told. It’s just yet another thing we like to blow on about.

There’s very few places with a slaughterhouse out the back. I’d say you wouldn’t even know the difference between meat that had been frozen and not if you weren’t told. It’s just yet another thing we like to blow on about.

Nah - You’d know straight away

In particular in regards to veg/chips

But for meat - I wouldn’t want to be paying full price on something that’s been in a freezer a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Nah - You’d know straight away

In particular in regards to veg/chips

But for meat - I wouldn’t want to be paying full price on something that’s been in a freezer a couple of months.

Just out of interest have you worked in hotel kitchens?

Just out of interest have you worked in hotel kitchens?

No - and I don’t particularly care if you or the person I was talking with have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No - and I don’t particularly care if you or the person I was talking with have.

For those who may care.
    Just from my experience in the industry even in good 4 and 5 star establishments things can often be frozen and they'd be all about fresh ingredients on the menu. So, if you think it may only be done because of the current situation. It's not a new thing.
    (Now if you can tell that's fair enough)

Advertisement