Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating out/eating in - takeaways, restaurants and meal delivery Megathread

Options
12346»

Comments

For those who may care.
    Just from my experience in the industry even in good 4 and 5 star establishments things can often be frozen and they'd be all about fresh ingredients on the menu. So, if you think it may only be done because of the current situation. It's not a new thing.
    (Now if you can tell that's fair enough)

They can’t. Loads of like to think we can since we got money and started to travel but we can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Our local Burger Joint BuJo are doing home burger kits, either pick them up or they drop them around. Its a good idea and a nice way to support a local business

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

For those who may care.
    Just from my experience in the industry even in good 4 and 5 star establishments things can often be frozen and they'd be all about fresh ingredients on the menu. So, if you think it may only be done because of the current situation. It's not a new thing.
    (Now if you can tell that's fair enough)

Nah - I know a lot of hotels etc already do that. It’s turned up a notch now though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Unelected CMO

Happy4all wrote: »
    Haven't had any desire to get a Chinese post virus

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

silverharp wrote: »
    Our local Burger Joint BuJo are doing home burger kits, either pick them up or they drop them around. Its a good idea and a nice way to support a local business

40 euros plus delivery for burgers though?

I know there's 8 burgers in the pack but they shouldn't really be aiming at the "big BBQ"/House party market during these times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ShineOn7 wrote: »

I know there's 8 burgers in the pack but they shouldn't really be aiming at the "big BBQ"/House party market during these times

I doubt that's their market , its basically a family meal with double patties

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There’s very few places with a slaughterhouse out the back. I’d say you wouldn’t even know the difference between meat that had been frozen and not if you weren’t told. It’s just yet another thing we like to blow on about.

With meat and vegetables it is very obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

ShineOn7 wrote: »

They'd want to some special burger for a fiver each, you could buy fillet steaks at that price.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Working my way upto ordering my first takeaway since this madness started this Bank Holiday Sunday. I've been very vigilant with hygiene and safety upto now and I want to minimise the risk as much as possible

I'll presume the driver will leave the order in the open porchway, I'll pay by card in advance and ask them to do this over the phone. Wine, a few cans of beer and food is getting ordered, so:

• Scrub down wine bottles with anti bacterial wipes
    • Same with cans of beer
    • Microwave the food regardless of how hot it is when it arrives. Has this been proven to kill anything on food?
    • Wash hands a few times during the whole process of collection, un-bagging, plating etc
    Is anyone else who's taking precautions when getting a takeway doing more than the above?

I see that the poll I added to this thread has more or less as many saying to the question "Are you still getting Takeaways to the house?"

"Yes and behaving with them as before Covid. Nothing has changed"

"No, I'm not taking the risk"

In almost equal amounts for both sides. About a third each

If you insist on being overly cautious and reheating already hot food at least do yourself a favour and preserve some of the texture by heating it in the oven instead. Unless of course you enjoy ruining expensive food. It wouldn't surprise me if the amount of people getting takeaways has actually increased since the crisis began.

• Advertisement

If you insist on being overly cautious and reheating already hot food at least do yourself a favour and preserve some of the texture by heating it in the oven instead. Unless of course you enjoy ruining expensive food. It wouldn't surprise me if the amount of people getting takeaways has actually increased since the crisis began.

It won't be that expensive

Yes, it's increased massively. Many Takeaway places are advertising for extra drivers

An excerpt from this article, but it's all worth a read https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/08/822903487/how-safe-is-it-to-eat-take-out

"While COVID-19 is new to us, coronaviruses are not, and with all the studies done on these viruses, there has never been any information to implicate food-borne transmission," says Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of medicine in the department of infectious diseases at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, Tenn.

The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 is primarily spread via droplets expelled through coughing or sneezing, says William Schaffner. If you're standing too close (within about 6 feet) to an infected person when the person coughs or sneezes, or even possibly when the person speaks or exhales, viral droplets could make their way to your nasal passages and mucous membranes. Or if you touch a surface with droplets on it and then touch your eyes, nose or mouth, that could also lead to infection.
    All this means that transmission via food is incredibly unlikely, say both professors Schaffner — unless you actually inhaled your food. "Even in the so unlikely scenario of virus through a sneeze or cough coming into contact with, say, a salad, that would enter the body through the throat," William Schaffner says.

William Schaffner explains that the virus is primarily risky to us when it attaches to surfaces in our respiratory tract, not when we accidentally eat it. "The virus seems to be latching onto cells in the upper reaches of the nose, a place food doesn't enter," he explains. "Virus that found its way into your gastrointestinal tract would be killed by the acid in your stomach."
    Several infectious disease experts whom NPR spoke to concurred that research hasn't turned up any evidence of COVID-19 spreading through food.

"There are no published reports of linkage to food [of the novel coronavirus]," says Dr. Rachel Bender Ignacio, an associate professor of allergy and infectious diseases at the University of Washington School of Medicine. In February, the World Health Organization said the same thing, though it noted that food safety authorities are keeping an eye on the issue.
    While all the experts we spoke to were in agreement that restaurant food is safe to order during the COVID-19 outbreak, if you are immunocompromised or just feeling extra wary, you may want to consider ordering cooked food only rather than uncooked items such as sandwiches. Cooking at high-enough temperatures kills viruses, says Elizabeth Mills, a registered dietitian at the Villanova University College of Nursing, in Villanova, Pa.

I just had a read of this too https://www.fsai.ie/faq/coronavirus.html

I looks like you have to take the same precautions as you would with a supermarket or Amazon delivery, but not too much more

The only person I know who is suspected of having it and is waiting for the test is a local delivery driver for 2 chippers.

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I’ve ordered a few (four I think) takeaways since mid March, all from different places, and every single time, the driver waited at the door for me and then handed over the food at a pretty close distance, even though I specified to do contactless delivery.

They were all wearing gloves which are utterly pointless and probably worse since they’re touching stuff in the car, on the premises etc, they had masks down below their chin... but the most important precaution of all is not having contact and yet they stand at the porch waiting to hand it over to me. The companies keep advertising contactless delivery but their drivers don’t seem to know any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Was a bar.

Will there introduce time limits or maybe maximum drink orders per person?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Lots of restaurants already have time limits on a booking, usually 90mins~2hours. Social distancing will mean their capacity will be significantly reduced so I'd imagine any restaurants that sell alcohol (I.e. not fast food/those where customers might linger) will have time limits to try to increase their customer flow.

Advertisement