Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating out/eating in - takeaways, restaurants and meal delivery Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

CaoinDory wrote: »
    Leo tweeted this morning that they are allowed to remain open

Thanks! So can i drive more than 2km to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Unicorn55

Yes. The 2km is for exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

Getting a meal is considered essential so you are allowed to drive to get it.

The 2k relates to physical exercise!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Threads merged

...and again

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

There are a number of petrol stations open in my locality, all apart from one have closed the Deli counter. This one has three staff members working behind the deli counter so no chance of them social distancing and the area between the counter and the customers is quite small also.

I know food businesses can be open to provide deliveries but surely a deli counter in a petrol station is pushing that requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

you are allowed out to collect takeaway food, so yes, one would assume the preparation of food to takeaway is allowed.

Whether or not you trust that the deli-worker is taking all precautions though, is on you

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

you are allowed out to collect takeaway food, so yes, one would assume the preparation of food to takeaway is allowed.

Whether or not you trust that the deli-worker is taking all precautions though, is on you

Its more the overall setup I don't trust - its a cramped space at the best of times. I actually feel sorry for the deli workers being exposed to that environment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Its more the overall setup I don't trust - its a cramped space at the best of times. I actually feel sorry for the deli workers being exposed to that environment too.

To paraphrase Joe Duffy, "What's your point caller?"

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Some of my partners friends are still going to a one in one exercise and health class. The owner contacted all her customers individually to tell them that they’ll do this privately so they won’t lose on their weight loss progress but really it’s about her continuing to get paid. Obviously I’m rightly pissed off about this and I’ve told her all of her friends are barred from the house for remainder of the year. She actually agrees with me too as she’s also rightly pissed off as we’ve been social distancing since mid February,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I know food businesses can be open to provide deliveries but surely a deli counter in a petrol station is pushing that requirement.

Many healthcare professionals will need quick easy made food , so I think it is important that Delis and takeways remain open - but any I have seen have been able and are practicing social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

To paraphrase Joe Duffy, "What's your point caller?"

I think your point is very valid, i do not know the kitchen rules for people doing carry-out food.
    Surely if the Government are telling children to walk (2 metres from parents when out walking) the same rule apply in this case...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I think your point is very valid, i do not know the kitchen rules for people doing carry-out food.
    Surely if the Government are telling children to walk (2 metres from parents when out walking) the same rule apply in this case...

Are the government telling children to walk 2 metres from their parents? I haven’t seen this anywhere? Social distancing applies to people outside your household not within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The government has not suggested children walk 2 metres from parents when out walking stop spreading rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where possible health workers need to be supplied with a dedicated service not winging it at Deli counters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The government has not suggested children walk 2 metres from parents when out walking stop spreading rubbish.

I heard this morning on the radio we are only allowed 2km from the house with our immediate families and to keep a distance of 2 metres which i thought crazy.
    It surprised me as well but i suspect it was a likely error.
    If its rubbish its belong to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I heard this morning on the radio we are only allowed 2km from the house with our immediate families and to keep a distance of 2 metres which i thought crazy.

A distance of 2m from everyone else not from your family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You are allowed to go up to 2km from your home for exercise, while maintaining social distancing from others but not your own family unit.There is no distance restriction for essential journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Where possible health workers need to be supplied with a dedicated service not winging it at Deli counters.

Perhaps for medics at the hospital, but ambulance drivers for instance on the road , get hungry, I know and need a little break.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Glebee wrote: »
    Dont think i will ever eat a Chineese again with all the talk of eating bats in china..

So called Chinese food here is not Chinese. It’s actually Thai or Korean.
    If Chinese only started offering what they actually eat in China they’d be closed down from lack of orders I’d say within a day.
    Indian food is really the only one that reflects what they actually eat at home in India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Poll to follow

I was thinking of getting my first food takeaway in 2 months next week.
    • Are you still getting them?
    • What precautions are you taking if you do?

My over thinking mind went: "what if a asymptomatic carrier makes my burger? What if an asymptomatic driver delivers it?"

Spray down the carry bag it comes in?

Spray down any plastic containers of the takeaway?

At what point of the R0 do we need to stop worrying about this? 0.5? Lower again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Treat it like normal shopping. Take the delivery, wash hands, serve food up and eat.

Poll added but please give feedback in a reply too

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

No change from before. None of this rubbish of spraying down the bag etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

Here in Germany all the takeaways are doing flying business. Even some of the pubs which don't do takeaways are now doing "takeaways". It seems many Germans don't see much risk in the entire activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭eggy81

Haven't got any deliveries but I've been to the chipper down the street 3 or 4 times. They have all the table cleared out. No more than 4 inside and sanitised at the door and at the the table they have placed in front of the counter. They reach out and place the food on the table and toy are behind a line and house teschb8n and grab it. Tap card and go. No stress at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭buzzing147

FrStone wrote: »
    No change from before. None of this rubbish of spraying down the bag etc.

Wouldn't fancy one, never know who's making it, rather make my own burger than eat one that's covidly infected

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Wouldn't fancy one, never know who's making it, rather make my own burger than eat one that's covidly infected

I'm pretty sure that the virus can't survive stomach acid, a takeaway is perfectly safe as long as you wash your hands before eating.

I'm pretty sure that the virus can't survive stomach acid, a takeaway is perfectly safe as long as you wash your hands before eating.

Not sure I follow your logic

So if an asymptomatic carrier coughs into their hand and then proceeds to bun your burger, and then you eat this burger, you don't believe you'll get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Poll to follow

I was thinking of getting my first food takeaway in 2 months next week.
    • Are you still getting them?
    • What precautions are you taking if you do?

My over thinking mind went: "what if a asymptomatic carrier makes my burger? What if an asymptomatic driver delivers it?"

Spray down the carry bag it comes in?

Spray down any plastic containers of the takeaway?

At what point of the R0 do we need to stop worrying about this? 0.5? Lower again?

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Incorrect, you will be infected, it’s one of the myths.

Advertisement