Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

doxy79 wrote: »
    I don't drink at home but would argue keeping the alcohol flowing is fairly important. Society will eventually break down if this continues for very long, and it will happen a lot faster if ppl are denied alcohol. I honestly believe that too. They could limit it to supermarket sales though.

That's the end for Muslim countries so.:rolleyes:

pablo128 wrote: »
    That's the end for Muslim countries so.:rolleyes:

They never have it so that’s not a real comparison. They’re not exactly hotbeds of law and order either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I sent a message on twitter to the HSE Live people, explaining that my husbands employer isn’t an essential service and they’re we’re continuing business as usual, they replied to say they have no way to check it.

Great, lots of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

MrMiata wrote: »
    I just don't fancy being cooped up with my family for 12 weeks!

I mentioned to my supervisor about nights and she said to just get a doctors note to cover myself..

So I'm guessing my best bet is to call my doctor tomorrow?
    Is the 12 weeks off a max of 12 or does everyone across the board get 12?

I'm sorry but I'm going to be blunt.

Stop being an idiot and stay at home. Your desire to go to work, although you can likely be forgiven for it due to ignorance, is extremely selfish.

You are at risk of ICU.

A doctor will let an old person die to save you.

Stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

What's with retail banks and their support staff having to go into work? Same for post offices and credit unions.

For every person, every day there is commuting it's another chance to spread the virus.

These types of services need to be curtailed right back, perhaps be open to 2 days a week max for essential requirements.

A large cohort of people have been laid off in the past few weeks and have run out of money or about to, they need cash to survive and they need it quick. There are still people that don't access the internet for various reasons and still like to conduct their affairs in person and therefore need access to the bank and post office. The banks are also dealing with a deluge of phone calls from businesses and personal customers unable to pay loans and mortgages.

Some state bodies require paper copies of documentation for various reasons and these may need to be posted in order to allow new applicants access various benefits e.g. pensions, Medical Card applications, unemployment payments etc. Now that travel has been severely curtailed, families may need to post parcels to family members in other parts of the country.
    Similar reasons for Credit Unions - newly unemployed needing access to savings etc. I am sure there are numerous other reasons I have missed but rest assured, I am sure the frontline services have been curtailed, however the pressure on these services has increased dramatically.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

jamesbil wrote: »
    Hypothetical question,

2 members of same household doing renovation work in an empty house 2k from home. No one else on site and no one lives near.

Do they go to work?

The 2km rule is only for exercise AFAIK.

You should only go to work regardless of how far that is if you are on the essential list of workers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

A large cohort of people have been laid off in the past few weeks and have run out of money or about to, they need cash to survive and they need it quick. There are still people that don't access the internet for various reasons and still like to conduct their affairs in person and therefore need access to the bank and post office. The banks are also dealing with a deluge of phone calls from businesses and personal customers unable to pay loans and mortgages.

Some state bodies require paper copies of documentation for various reasons and these may need to be posted in order to allow new applicants access various benefits e.g. pensions, Medical Card applications, unemployment payments etc. Now that travel has been severely curtailed, families may need to post parcels to family members in other parts of the country.
    Similar reasons for Credit Unions - newly unemployed needing access to savings etc. I am sure there are numerous other reasons I have missed but rest assured, I am sure the frontline services have been curtailed, however the pressure on these services has increased dramatically.

Agree to some of that, I'm not saying keep branches shut, just reduce their hours for those that still need them. I see PTSB has started doing it.

As for back office support and answering phones, surely this can be done remotely (virtual lines using the sane recorders lines people have in the office).

In some cases it seems staff are being putting at risk because some places BCP is not up to scratch.

You can bet the big wigs in head office are not putting their lives at risk by still going to work in the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I sent a message on twitter to the HSE Live people, explaining that my husbands employer isn’t an essential service and they’re we’re continuing business as usual, they replied to say they have no way to check it.

Great, lots of help.
    In all fairness what has that got to do with the HSE? They're busy enough.

Lundstram wrote: »
    In all fairness what the fcuk has that got to do with the HSE? They're busy enough.

I asked a local Garda and they said to refer to the HSE, they’ve since come back to me saying there is nowhere else to report it to and maybe contact local representatives.

So basically companies are free to do whatever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

A lot of BCP plans which most people including myself thought would never be needed now coming into operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

tdf7187 wrote: »
    A lot of BCP plans which most people including myself thought would never be needed now coming into operation.
    My guess is, having written them in the past, that very few had this scenario in mind

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Great, lots of help.

You don't contact the HSE, it's the HSA you contact. They will close a place down for breaches of health and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

If you're a non essential worker and your bosses expect you in tomorrow tell them to go and fcuk themselves, if this has to be spelt out for people at this stage its all the fcukin one

If you're a non essential worker and your bosses expect you in tomorrow tell them to go and fcuk themselves, if this has to be spelt out for people at this stage its all the fcukin one

It’s true though. Sometimes employers need to be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I think the concern that people have is not turning up to work can they still claim the €350 to keep going, I believe you properly can because its not your fault a non essential company refuses to close, that's if the company hasn't found a loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

I'm working for a company where all its office staff can work from home. Yet we're still expected to go to the office tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone knows the legal position of this. If I went to work tomorrow, would I be technically breaking the law and could I technically be prosecuted? I know practically speaking no one is likely to be prosecuted for such actions.
    I work in an area that's not considered to be essential.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

Not easy for non permanent workers who know they'll get the bullet if they don't do as they're told. Of course a lot of them will suffer that fate either way, but nobody wants to be on the job market after this blows over if there's any small chance of helping it. The employers are the ones who need to take responsibility here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

jd1983 wrote: »
    I'm working for a company where all its office staff can work from home. Yet we're still expected to go to the office tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone knows the legal position of this. If I went to work tomorrow, would I be technically breaking the law and could I technically be prosecuted? I know practically speaking no one is likely to be prosecuted for such actions.
    I work in an area that's not considered to be essential.

Even if in essential job, if can fully work from home you're covered by the restrictions . Don't go in and quote the restrictions (point 1 under community health)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

There'll be some interesting legal cases when this is over. I would assume that employers behaving genuinely negligently will potentially be open to civil action should staff become infected, whatever about prosecution now.

A busy few years in the courts when the dust eventually settles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

A lot of Shannon firms seem to have some staff working today. My own operating at about 30%

Would have to wonder if there's an urgency for airline mro's to be fixing the planes of airlines most have never heard of, not freight liners either. Or why the crowd that spray paints planes is open as usual with staff mingling outside, very little social distancing.

We have to keep the economy going, but hope the number of cases currently 34 in Clare doesn't shoot up, because of greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭paulpd

My missus was just stopped by Guards on the way to work just before 7am and asked where she was going. She's a nurse in Dublin City centre so was OK.

My husband (who works at the online beauty shop I mentioned a few posts ago) was stopped going through Castleblayney this morning, they asked where he worked and said to just make sure he gets a letter.

It certainly seems if a business wants to use "grey areas" to continue opening, they're not really gonna face any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

My sons place of work relented after the workers kicked up.
    The government are doing a good job, and this has all had to be done on the fly, but there is a need for a body to report non compliant companies to. Then their directors need to be personally punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lucas424

Shocking the total disregard some employers are showing for their employees and this situation in general. We as a society have been requested by the government to stay at home to help to control this virus , shameful at some employers using grey areas and loopholes to force non essential workers to continue working putting them at risk of catching and spreading infection while travelling to work on public transport and total lack of social distancing when at work . My partner works in the staff canteen in the central bank , the bank may be an essential workplace but surely baristas, food servers, chefs, and kitchen porters are not essential to the running of this business, the vast majority of bank employees are working from home only a skeleton staff remain working on site surely they should be encouraged to bring lunch from home . A lot of non essential workers are still being forced to leave their homes every morning and travelling around the city putting themselves and others at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

A lot of these employers will find that when things settle down, they will lose a lot of valuable employees who were sickened by their behaviour during the crisis.

But will they learn?

They will in their holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

I am an IT Admin so responsible for in house servers and infrastructure for pretty lucrative company but not classed as essential. I would only be going on site in the case of emergency e.g Server unresponsive, network issues and have a letter stating that. Would that suffice for a Garda or would I be turned away/fined or should I be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

statto25 wrote: »
    I am an IT Admin so responsible for in house servers and infrastructure for pretty lucrative company but not classed as essential. I would only be going on site in the case of emergency e.g Server unresponsive, network issues and have a letter stating that. Would that suffice for a Garda or would I be turned away/fined or should I be OK?

Can't see there being any issue.

The letter should it be needed removes any doubt as to your reason for travelling to said location

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I asked a local Garda and they said to refer to the HSE, they’ve since come back to me saying there is nowhere else to report it to and maybe contact local representatives.

So basically companies are free to do whatever they like.

did he ask the garda (or the garda superviser) to talk to his boss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I work for an employer who is fully online based and has a specific mention on the 'essential' list. In fact, because so many of our competitors are closed now, our sales are fantastic.

I am 100% desk based, office job. 50% of the workforce is office based, 50% warehouse/shipping. We've all been told that the warehouse is now over capacity so we're all reassigned as warehouse staff until further notice.

I've requested permission to work from home as my job is fully possible to do remotely, I was told no, go help in the warehouse. Nothing else I can do really. If I insist I won't be let go, but they're a vindictive bunch and I'll be on the chopping block in the next round of redundancies.

Advertisement