Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 farty90210

namloc1980 wrote: »
    External contractors are not employees of the company. Why would they expect to get a bonus? Sounds like a bizarre sense of entitlement.

As stated in the OP, the difference between permanent and external was stated. It's just making a big song and dance about the bonus during a pandemic is a bit heartless?

They should have given the bonus across the board. Company I work for did that. Otherwise it’s counter productive. Better to not give it out at all otherwise.
    As a side note, I don’t think the bonus is a good idea in the first place.

Exactly!

It's had an extremely negative effect. The atmosphere in work yesterday was dreadful after the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

farty90210 wrote: »
    As stated in the OP, the difference between permanent and external was stated. It's just making a big song and dance about the bonus during a pandemic is a bit heartless?

Ahem, who is making a big song and dance about a bonus during a pandemic? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think you are the one making the song and dance because someone else got something which you didn’t

Ahem, who is making a big song and dance about a bonus during a pandemic? :)

The company management were

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Not really. We often hear of companies not looking after their employees and getting rightly called out on it. Here we have a company giving a bonus and recognition to its own employees and people are still moaning. If you're a contractor you're not an employee, is pretty straight forward.

Seve OB wrote: »
    I think you are the one making the song and dance because someone else got something which you didn’t

I don't mind. It's the fact that out of nowhere, its created a bad atmosphere.

Sounds like the contractors don't understand they are not employees and are not entitled to the benefits of being an employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well you clearly do mind as you went to the trouble to set an account up on boards just so you could bitch and moan about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I agree with the OP. This is a bit heartless. We are in the middle of a pandemic so the optics look bad. Some employers don't seem to realise we are in the middle of a national emergency not seen in most of our lifetimes. Employees won't forget this if they are treated badly.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well you clearly do mind as you went to the trouble to set an account up on boards just so you could bitch and moan about it.

It's ok Seve. Take your abuse elsewhere.

You come across way too aggressive. Go collect your €350

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is there a reason why the company is using contractors in the first place? or is it money saving exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Contractors don't get the same benefits as employees, as they're not employee's. I fail to see the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

I know for a fact that this decision was not one that was made in Ireland and it is is being viewed locally as being unfair. I would expect that there might be more to this in the future but unfortunately at present its a situation that people need to accept. I personally feel that anyone taking the additional risks of traveling from home into work to continue operational activities should be recognized whether they be a contractor or FTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

External contractors get their bonus in their daily rate, they’re paid vastly more than permanent staff in the first place.

recyclebin wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. This is a bit heartless. We are in the middle of a pandemic so the optics look bad. Some employers don't seem to realise we are in the middle of a national emergency not seen in most of our lifetimes. Employees won't forget this if they are treated badly.

The employees haven't been treated badly. It's the external contractors who are demanding the same benefits as the employees.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Contractors don't get the same benefits as employees, as they're not employee's. I fail to see the issue here.

It's backfired badly now on the company.

Out of everything in this pandemic, the last day has completely made us reevaluate our time there. And the fact some were due to be made permanent last month and the pandemic has delayed it.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The employees haven't been treated badly. It's the external contractors who are demanding the same benefits as the employees.

No we are not.

Dogg Munde wrote: »
    External contractors get their bonus in their daily rate, they’re paid vastly more than permanent staff in the first place.

This is an odd myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It's backfired badly now on the company.

Out of everything in this pandemic, the last day has completely made us reevaluate our time there. And the fact some were due to be made permanent last month and the pandemic has delayed it.

Why, have the contractors ever been given a bonus when the employees got one?

It's a non issue, contractors are not employee's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

This is an odd myth.

In tech they are. If you are logistics or Sci-Ser it's different.

No we are not.

You are. You're looking for a bonus like the company employees.

Who's hiring in the drug business? Pharma services and outsourcing firms are hiring. And as Big Pharma shrinks workforces around the world, it's increasingly turning to contractors to handle some jobs previously performed by employees.

At least that's the story told by the latest Global Life Sciences Hiring Index from ZRG Partners. That survey found that services and outsourcing companies are hiring at the fastest rate of any companies in the pharma sector--five times as fast as drug companies themselves.

Makes sense, considering drugmakers can get flexible staffing from contractors--loading up and scaling back when necessary, without hiring or laying off regular employees. Plus, contractors can be cheaper alternatives to full employees, who command all the company's worker benefits and, often, a higher pay rate.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/pharma-contractors-hiring-fastest-sector

I always wondered though and I never fully understood the difference:

Why do pharma companies use recruitment agencies?

Also who actually pays the external contractors? Is it the pharma company pays the recruitment agency and they pay the worker?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

I used to work for this contractor, missed out on a couple of bonuses that fte got, that weren't normal annual ones.
    Just had to get on with it or look elsewhere.

Bojill wrote: »
    I used to work for this contractor, missed out on a couple of bonuses that fte got, that weren't normal annual ones.
    Just had to get on with it or look elsewhere.

Yes I agree. A lot of us shall.

Also who actually pays the external contractors? Is it the pharma company pays the recruitment agency and they pay the worker?

Recruitment company if you get a payslip, many contractors are paid directly but it's complicated and you'd know and would be getting a day rate.

Yes I agree. A lot of us shall.

Is there other work to go to ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

Hello.

Announced at a company yesterday a large bonus (over half a month's pay) was to be given to the permanent staff for working during the pandemic.

External contract workers who are doing the same jobs are getting nothing and working as normal throughout this whole pandemic.

They are quite a big company and it's created uproar.

I fully understand the difference between permanent workers and external. Just in this instance now everyone's pissed off.

Are they right to be pissed off?

Half a months pay isn’t a large bonus. It’s about 2% after tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

The Company supplying the contractors charge the Pharma company for the person provided and are also responsible for paying the contractor. Typically the contractors hours are approved by FTE from Pharma Company

Advertisement