Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workplaces and employer attitudes Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭This is it

I can work from home but I'd much prefer to go to the office. Unfortunately I'm not allowed, thems the rules. It is tough staying at home and it's great that you want to work but for your own sake, stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Unicorn55

Supermarket is an essential business though and can't be done from home.

OP yes get your GP's advice. Good the option of night work is there if they recommend keeping away from customers. Being young and healthy and only mild asthma should be on your side too but your GP will be able tp advise on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Any company that acts the bollocks during this deserves to be named and shamed. They'll pay for it in the long term.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

I'm not sure if asthma is considered a major underlying condition, but if your employer is asking you to stay at home, then do as you're told. You'll then have a job to go back to when this is all over.

Spend your time doing things around the house.

My house has never been cleaner and I've fixed so many little things that have literally been needing sorting for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Too many loopholes in what is deemed essential as most places will find a way of getting around this

Think there needs to be tighter control from government on what is essential. I know they gave a list but too many options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

There are a lot of people crying out for an employer like that at the moment.

Your parents and your employer are not wrong.

Ring your GP and claim 6our entitlements.

I think this isn't right.. If you ring the gp, you could end up applying for illness benefit that isn't paid from day 1.
    Take what your employer is offering. Financially you'll be better off.

I did hear on the radio earlier (possibly Newstalk but i was channel hopping so unsure) that if you're brought into work, and you have a legitimate grievance that you feel it's against the govt. advice and is not essential, you can ring and inform the Gardai, and they will act on it?

Apparently the Gardai have been shutting places down that are acting the bollocks.

I should clarify though, that I don't know what the Gardai are doing to close these places - they haven't been given any extra powers and as far as I can see, the govt. restrictions are still just "advice", so Im not sure what the Gardai are actually saying to business owners. But I do know a chap that sells ice cream, and the Gardai called around to his house as he was selling ice cream over the weekend last week. I've also heard of a beauty salon being closed down (possibly in dundalk?) and I think Newstalk were saying the Gardai are still calling around to any businesses they see open that are deemed non-essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Too many loopholes in what is deemed essential as most places will find a way of getting around this

Think there needs to be tighter control from government on what is essential. I know they gave a list but too many options

Agreed. Companies looking for loopholes to stay open are completely missing the whole point of the government announcement last Friday evening.

If your not essential as in medical supplies, food manufacturing and distribution,carers, fuel depots shutdown for two weeks and don’t be putting the lives of your employees and their families at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Agreed. Companies looking for loopholes to stay open are completely missing the whole point of the government announcement last Friday evening.

If your not essential as in medical supplies, food manufacturing and distribution,carers, fuel depots shutdown for two weeks and don’t be putting the lives of your employees and their families at risk.

It may well be more than 2 weeks.

Suppose somebody makes bottles for Heineken, that is hardly essential?

easypazz wrote: »

If Heineken is still being sold then it is. Same as someone that makes the film for Tayto bags or the trays for beef mince.

• Advertisement

It will definately be more than 2 weeks if companies will not pull together on this.
    It's not fair on the companies who are complying with regulations put in place.

All it will do is extend the situation we are in now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

SAMTALK wrote: »
    It will definately be more than 2 weeks if companies will not pull together on this.
    It's not fair on the companies who are complying with regulations put in place.

All it will do is extend the situation we are in now

Its not just companies, individual people not following guidelines will probably be the biggest issue.

If Heineken is still being sold then it is. Same as someone that makes the film for Tayto bags or the trays for beef mince.

Hardly essential. World be a better place without that pisswater anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

My OH is a greenkeeper on a golf course and he has been told by his boss to go into work tomorrow. The Golf Course Superintendents Association of Ireland tweeted that they are seeking clarity on greenkeepers attending work. I thought the government list of essential services was clear but as someone said above, there are always those who will look for loopholes.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,585 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

antix80 wrote: »
    I think this isn't right.. If you ring the gp, you could end up applying for illness benefit that isn't paid from day 1.
    Take what your employer is offering. Financially you'll be better off.

I've absolutely no interest in sitting at home for 12 weeks.
    I'd rather take 2 and go back on nights, If I didn't get the illness benefit I'd probably just ask right away to go on nights.
    I'm fine, I have mild asthma.
    Asthma will be the least of my worries if I have to listen to my family for 12 weeks!

Its not just companies, individual people not following guidelines will probably be the biggest issue.

Totally agree with you . It's so frustrating when most of the people are doing what's asked but there are a certain few who just dont get the seriousness of it all.

Companies need to man up for the sake of their employees but also the employees need to see this as not just a holiday

I feel for the likes of Simon Harris etc who must be so frustrated to see some of the stupid things people are doing regardless of how many times they are told

hollypink wrote: »
    My OH is a greenkeeper on a golf course and he has been told by his boss to go into work tomorrow. The Golf Course Superintendents Association of Ireland tweeted that they are seeking clarity on greenkeepers attending work. I thought the government list of essential services was clear but as someone said above, there are always those who will look for loopholes.

If any asshole is out playing ****ing golf tomorrow they deserve a nine iron up their hole. Keep the OH at home ! I love the fact there is GCSAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

There is so many different companies and contractors linked to manufacturing that most people will still be asked to work.
    Some places with hundreds working together.
    You can also travel any distance to work but on your weekend at home you can’t go 2 kms from your house with your own family.

Workplaces are now the biggest risk area for spreading the virus for example chocolate Easter eggs if u like are deemed essential food

There needs to be a more detailed assessment of critical food manufacturing and all the rest should be closed immediately

Yup very wishy washy guidelines. I told my work I won't be in for 2 weeks. Have elderly at risk to consider. In fairness my boss had no issue. Going to be massive scope in the years to come for legal cases against companies making people go to work and getting infected.

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »
    Hardly essential. World be a better place without that pisswater anyways.

Neither are Tayto and beef mince.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

If any asshole is out playing ****ing golf tomorrow they deserve a nine iron up their hole. Keep the OH at home ! I love the fact there is GCSAI.

I don’t think there’ll be anyone actually out playing golf but the course does need to be maintained or there’ll be no job to go back to (a week of no grass cutting won’t ruin it but a month could). I would much prefer to be out working in the fresh air than stuck in the house. As a green keeper he’ll likely be working over a kilometre away from the next greenkeeper

Nearly guarantee some pot bellied pink polo popped collar prick will turn up for a round. Cos hes entitled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Beasty wrote: »
    Threads merged

Would have been better to just delete my thread instead of merging it here, you've killed it anyway.

Neither are Tayto and beef mince.

Tayto no obviously. Food supply chains need to be kept running. Alcohol is not a necessary foodstuff. Well.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What's with retail banks and their support staff having to go into work? Same for post offices and credit unions.

For every person, every day there is commuting it's another chance to spread the virus.

These types of services need to be curtailed right back, perhaps be open to 2 days a week max for essential requirements.

Then again Barrys tea and Cheese and Onion Tayto sandwiches could just be the thing to get us through this crisis !

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Hypothetical question,

2 members of same household doing renovation work in an empty house 2k from home. No one else on site and no one lives near.

Do they go to work?

Tayto no obviously. Food supply chains need to be kept running. Alcohol is not a necessary foodstuff. Well.....

You don’t need mince either, or chicken goujons, or burgers, or ice cream. If you’re just cutting out what you don’t like though, then that’s a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

I don't drink at home but would argue keeping the alcohol flowing is fairly important. Society will eventually break down if this continues for very long, and it will happen a lot faster if ppl are denied alcohol. I honestly believe that too. They could limit it to supermarket sales though.

Advertisement