Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I am increasingly surprised at how this kind of misinformation goes unchecked on this forum by both contributors and the moderation personnel.

Can I ask if either of the above have any grounds to sustain their allegation ?

Are contributors in general comfortable that this type of blatant nonsense is not ejected to some less mainstream conspiracy discussion where it will avoid further propagating to others vulnerable to believing there could be any substance to the claim ?

The fight against corona virus requires everyone to play their part. It is the responsibility and in the interest of all to decry falsehoods, and instead promote good understanding and individual responses to the crisis.

Mod:

Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

46 Long wrote: »
    You can get alcohol in any off-license or supermarket in the country. They're not prioritising pints, they're prioritising social contact with other human beings. Normal human social behaviour can only be repressed for so long before people start cracking.

Sure, but social contact is precisely the thing that spreads the virus, but you already know that.

And schools are important just because of childrens’ education but also because children being at home means lots of parents won’t be able to go to work. So opening the schools is also a key to allowing the economy to keep going. But you know that too.

What’s the story with so many people pretending not to understand these simple things?

St.Spodo wrote: »
    From Micheál Martin's interview last night it sounded like pubs won't be opening over Christmas and the emphasis in terms of easing restrictions will be allowing home visits.

Yeah that’s a good decision. If the choice was between pubs or seeing family and friends in small groups in houses over Christmas then I think most people would choose houses.

The UK had a ridiculous situation where they could go to a pub but couldn’t even meet friends outdoors for a walk in the park. It was a stupid situation and it made the wrong choice between pubs and families.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yeah that’s a good decision. If the choice was between pubs or seeing family and friends in small groups in houses over Christmas then I think most people would choose houses.

And what about the 50,000 jobs on the line.
    Its a ridiculous decision.

Not one government minister is on a covid payment - they don't give 2 ****s about the ordinary citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Am increasingly optimistic we will have food pubs and restaurants open at some point in December.

Reckon won't be until 7th December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

RTE of the opinion that if bars/restaurants are allowed reopen, it will be from the start of December.

They just need to announce the pup setup so bars can actually take on staff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

nothing like a GAA win to quench the thirst for a few pints in the pub :(:(

A decision needs to be made early next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Russman

Hellrazer wrote: »

Not one government minister is on a covid payment - they don't give 2 ****s about the ordinary citizen.

If they didn’t care about the ordinary citizen they’d open everything up and just let it rip through society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Cork2021 wrote: »

Please tell me it's true :)

• Advertisement

Yeah that will solve the house partie issue

very much not, jesus what kind of decision makers do we have

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah that will solve the house partie issue

very much not, jesus what kind of decision makers do we have

Better than nothing. I prefer day/evening drinking in pubs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

so just make sure theres houseparties so!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

10pm is usually the time I go out at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jackboy

Better than nothing. I prefer day/evening drinking in pubs anyway.

Yeah but this cunning plan will result in people starting drinking earlier. Do you really think people will stop drinking at 10?

This will do far more damage than just keeping the pubs closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

either way it looks like the end of restrictions is nigh after xmas, it will be a sad day for all curtin twitchers everywhere but the clock is ticking on them once vaccines start restriction and nyphet should be pulled

I’d be an early drinker as well most times. Usually a Saturday for the 5.30 match and home after

jackboy wrote: »
    Yeah but this cunning plan will result in people starting drinking earlier. Do you really think people will stop drinking at 10?

This will do far more damage than just keeping the pubs closed.

I agree and i'm prone to an all night house session myself but i'll be happy if this is true. It's better than no pubs opening?

I’d be an early drinker as well most times. Usually a Saturday for the 5.30 match and home after

Me too. But home after could be 11.00 the next morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wouldn't think the 10pm closing will be a runner. It wasn't earlier in the year got pushed to 10.30 then 11.30.

They'll probably push for 11, it gives restaurants a second sitting. 10pm is just asking for house parties too

• Advertisement

yeah looking like out for 3pm (some may go out earlier) maybe get a bit of dinner in and then home to a few cans at 10pm

deff suites a lot of people, better than nothing but god knows what rules will come in

Me too. But home after could be 11.00 the next morning :)

Ah ive kids at home so, the sounding bell would be out come 8pm to get my arse home haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Jaysus, the queue at 9.45 in the offo to grab cans before last orders will be a super spreader event......

Hellrazer wrote: »

It’s not ridiculous. I support paying covid payment. I’ll be paying off the covid payments in my tax for the rest of my life.

If I had to choose between meeting my family in small groups in houses over Christmas or being in pubs at social distance in groups of up to 15 strangers, then I’d choose family. Easy choice.

Russman wrote: »
    If they didn’t care about the ordinary citizen they’d open everything up and just let it rip through society.

Hundred percent. That’s the trump approach. Let it rip through e country and only the ones who survive can have an opinion on whethe it was a good idea.

Imagine pretending opening pubs was a good idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Sure, but social contact is precisely the thing that spreads the virus, but you already know that.

And schools are important just because of childrens’ education but also because children being at home means lots of parents won’t be able to go to work. So opening the schools is also a key to allowing the economy to keep going. But you know that too.

What’s the story with so many people pretending not to understand these simple things?

What's the story with so many people not having a grasp on basic human behaviour?

Humans are inherently social creatures and crave interaction with others. Preventing house visits and closing down shops, restaurants, bars, cafes, sports and most hobbies leaves those who just can't take the isolation any longer to do impulsive things like buying a bag of cans and drinking them outside with others.

There were 399,815 people living on their own in Ireland at the time of the last census. How do you think they're coping with almost 10 months of quasi-solitary confinement?
    The magnitude of risk associated with social isolation is comparable with that of cigarette smoking and other major biomedical and psychosocial risk factors. However, our understanding of how and why social isolation is risky for health – or conversely – how and why social ties and relationships are protective of health, still remains quite limited.

- James S. House. Psychosomatic Medicine, 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jim Leahy

Close bookies and pubs for good, It will be a better society

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Jim Leahy wrote:

I'd say you'd get huge odds for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Jim Leahy wrote: »

That's a fairly closed minded view there Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Jim Leahy

Do you disagree with banning drugs. pretty closed minded view

Advertisement