Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Fifteen socially distanced punters in a pub is an acceptable risk, and the hard data backs this up.

Are you drinking all these substances having te mask properly worn? Where are links to the "hard data"?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Crowds drinking in Cork city again tonight. They would be safer in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158915794063953&id=117528783952

These scenes make my blood boil. I work in the pub trade and it's over things like this that will result in the pubs being shut for longer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

This scene will be repeated and repeated each and every weekend , you can take this is Irish peoples answer to protesting on the streets. this will get much bigger each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

These scenes make my blood boil. I work in the pub trade and it's over things like this that will result in the pubs being shut for longer

Yeah pissing me off seeing this but as another poster said this is going too happen even more the next few weeks. Where are the guards ?

Dr Tony will be over this damming everyone and no way will he let us go below level 3 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

close the schools open the pubs. numbers didn't rise until schools opened not the pubs. enter at your own risk imo. let us get back to normality ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

close the schools open the pubs. numbers didn't rise until schools opened not the pubs. enter at your own risk imo. let us get back to normality ffs

Yes let's prioritise a few pints over children's education.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Pinch Flat wrote: »

sorry but when schools ask parents to purchase a 800 ipad for school im no longer convinced teachers need a college degree to teach kids that Wikipedia can teach them!!
    and when schools get rid of nature studies and exchange them for gender studies ya can fu** right off man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

You mean the similar guidelines that were also issued to pub's as well?

Yeah, dont you have to have a substantial meal in order to sit in your office and then leave after 90 minutes??

Or maybe the workplace recommendation's are different to how pubs set up and operate their premises.
    Plus of course, intoxicated people have lower inhibitions and more likely not to adhere to the social dostance rules as was witnessed by countless friends of mine who work in the bar trade. But you already know this, you just want your drinks with mates at all costs.

If your workplace is unsafe I'd advise you bring it up with HR or the designated covid officer who was meant to be appointed in your workplace or refer back to the training that the government recommends all staff has upon returning to work.
    I dont recall either of those being necessary for you to have a drink in the pub despite your suggestion that they are the same set of rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Pinch Flat wrote: »

You can get alcohol in any off-license or supermarket in the country. They're not prioritising pints, they're prioritising social contact with other human beings. Normal human social behaviour can only be repressed for so long before people start cracking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭opinionated3

seannash wrote: »
    Yeah, dont you have to have a substantial meal in order to sit in your office and then leave after 90 minutes??

Or maybe the workplace recommendation's are different to how pubs set up and operate their premises.
    Plus of course, intoxicated people have lower inhibitions and more likely not to adhere to the social dostance rules as was witnessed by countless friends of mine who work in the bar trade. But you already know this, you just want your drinks with mates at all costs.

If your workplace is unsafe I'd advise you bring it up with HR or the designated covid officer who was meant to be appointed in your workplace or refer back to the training that the government recommends all staff has upon returning to work.
    I dont recall either of those being necessary for you to have a drink in the pub despite your suggestion that they are the same set of rules

Then why force the pubs to adopt new rules and protective measures at their own cost if you're not allowing them to operate. And what's to blame for the current covid case count? Can't blame the hospitality sector can you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

46 Long wrote: »
    You can get alcohol in any off-license or supermarket in the country. They're not prioritising pints, they're prioritising social contact with other human beings. Normal human social behaviour can only be repressed for so long before people start cracking.

Yes. Those who require alcohol have no problem buying it under the current regulations. So no pressure as you say, to open public houses for this reason.

Social contact however is precisely that which must be avoided to suppress transmission of the virus and exert downward pressure on case numbers. And it is normal behaviour to desire social contact. But that does not - I repeat, NOT - justify opening pubs and subjecting the population to the risks that brings.
    People need to display some self control, civic discipline , and general common sense, and park their desire for social interaction in pub settings for the time being.

They, or at least those with a mature level of responsibility and some moral fibre to them, will not 'crack' as you put it.

Yes. Those who require alcohol have no problem buying it under the current regulations. So no pressure as you say, to open public houses for this reason.

Social contact however is precisely that which must be avoided to suppress transmission of the virus and exert downward pressure on case numbers. And it is normal behaviour to desire social contact. But that does not - I repeat, NOT - justify opening pubs and subjecting the population to the risks that brings.
    People need to display some self control, civic discipline , and general common sense, and park their desire for social interaction in pub settings for the time being.

They, or at least those with a mature level of responsibility and some moral fibre to them, will not 'crack' as you put it.

Are you a scientist or doctor or expert of note? Genuinely like to know because your excellent at telling us what we should and shouldn't do.
    And I'll reserve the right to completely ignore your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Then why force the pubs to adopt new rules and protective measures at their own cost if you're not allowing them to operate. And what's to blame for the current covid case count? Can't blame the hospitality sector can you??

Again I dont think your getting it. Who's to blame for the increase in numbers? The general public and most probably people like yourself who think restrictions are bull****. Thats the cause.
    And as a result we still need to limit social interactions in order to get the numbers back down. Opening pubs and restaurants does not limit social interactions.
    But again you know all this.
    To your question about allowing them to open up with those guidelines. The numbers were on the decline, they decided to allow pubs to open up in the hopes the public would adhere to the rules within those establishments but alas they did not and nor did they stick to the rules in general and as a result we had to again limit social interactions and close pubs and restaurants.
    Your arguments are pure whatabouttery and have no subsatnce at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Are you a scientist or doctor or expert of note? Genuinely like to know because your excellent at telling us what we should and shouldn't do.
    And I'll reserve the right to completely ignore your advice.

Sounds to me that they are echoing the NPHET advice. A body full of expert medics & scientists. But one that the man on the Clapham omnibus pooh poohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jackboy

I can’t see any drinking in that video, just teenagers hanging out.

seannash wrote: »
    Again I dont think your getting it. Who's to blame for the increase in numbers? The general public and most probably people like yourself who think restrictions are bull****. Thats the cause.
    And as a result we still need to limit social interactions in order to get the numbers back down. Opening pubs and restaurants does not limit social interactions.
    But again you know all this.
    To your question about allowing them to open up with those guidelines. The numbers were on the decline, they decided to allow pubs to open up in the hopes the public would adhere to the rules within those establishments but alas they did not and nor did they stick to the rules in general and as a result we had to again limit social interactions and close pubs and restaurants.
    Your arguments are pure whatabouttery and have no subsatnce at all.
    No idea what pub's you visited but the two that I went to were brilliantly run and totally safe IMO.
    I never said restrictions were bull****. But I believe they have run their course and are becoming ineffective as it's becoming obvious that closing series of society only temporarily alleviates the problem, and rolling lockdowns are rubbish for the economy. My wife works in non essential retail and has also been shut down for a considerable portion of this year, despite her employer putting sums of money into making his premises safe for all. But of course Tony (and a few posters on here) couldn't care less about peoples livelihoods. Must have bottomless pits of money to pay their mortgages, loans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

What is the latest thoughts on pub/restaurant opening? Will it be a no-goer? Any leaks likely in the Sunday papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cork2021

What is the latest thoughts on pub/restaurant opening? Will it be a no-goer? Any leaks likely in the Sunday papers?

I actually think they’ll open but with reduced opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Irish times reporting its a battleground between NPHET and Government at the moment. Several senior ministers appearently want to reopen hospitality under the regulations that were in place during the summer which personally I think would be acceptable to most

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

So people who suffer from adverse mental health issues lack “moral fibre” eh??

You’re some bad sort there.

There are people - I’d number myself among them - who are suffering due to the lack of social interaction. I’ve our up with so much,

I barely saw my father from mid February and the isolation worsened his dementia; his funeral was attended by only a handful of people due to this virus.

And you judge when I feel a little better walking up to a pub and chatting with a few people ? You should be ashamed. People with that attitude are truly the ones with no moral fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭spurshero

Gervais08 wrote: »
    So people who suffer from adverse mental health issues lack “moral fibre” eh??

You’re some bad sort there.

There are people - I’d number myself among them - who are suffering due to the lack of social interaction. I’ve our up with so much,

I barely saw my father from mid February and the isolation worsened his dementia; his funeral was attended by only a handful of people due to this virus.

And you judge when I feel a little better walking up to a pub and chatting with a few people ? You should be ashamed. People with that attitude are truly the ones with no moral fibre.

Ignore that poster . There somebody who likes to let on there in the know !! But about as relevant as a wasp .sorry about the loss of your dad .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I've got a few friends who run/lease bars, they're obviously putting on a hopeful front on social media but they're not expecting to be open....they're in 2/3 days a week checking dates on stock and making sure the electricity and water are still going just in case.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

From Micheál Martin's interview last night it sounded like pubs won't be opening over Christmas and the emphasis in terms of easing restrictions will be allowing home visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

St.Spodo wrote: »
    From Micheál Martin's interview last night it sounded like pubs won't be opening over Christmas and the emphasis in terms of easing restrictions will be allowing home visits.

Well what he said is we won't see packed pubs, not wrong even if they open they won't be packed and it won't be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Well what he said is we won't see packed pubs, not wrong even if they open they won't be packed and it won't be allowed

Right, yeah. It was looking like indoor wet service might have a chance a few weeks ago but I think the incidence rate will be too high for NPHET not to advise against their reopening again this year. Outdoor service might be a goer.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭8k71ps

It's utterly ridiculous at this stage that they can't reopen them even for outdoor service. It indicates government incompetency in testing and tracing more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

NPHET made comments this week about society and alcohol. They want to keep them shut - this is more than Covid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

NPHET made comments this week about society and alcohol. They want to keep them shut - this is more than Covid.

I’ve been saying that since day one - there is a lobby that wants to use Covid restrictions to socially manipulate us into lowering alcohol intake.

And they can quite frankly **** off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I’ve been saying that since day one - there is a lobby that wants to use Covid restrictions to socially manipulate us into lowering alcohol intake.

And they can quite frankly **** off.

I am increasingly surprised at how this kind of misinformation goes unchecked on this forum by both contributors and the moderation personnel.

Can I ask if either of the above have any grounds to sustain their allegation ?

Are contributors in general comfortable that this type of blatant nonsense is not ejected to some less mainstream conspiracy discussion where it will avoid further propagating to others vulnerable to believing there could be any substance to the claim ?

The fight against corona virus requires everyone to play their part. It is the responsibility and in the interest of all to decry falsehoods, and instead promote good understanding and individual responses to the crisis.

Advertisement