Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

hmmm wrote: »
    Interesting to see the airlines are pushing for internationally-recognised vaccination documents. You don't want to arrive into Torres del CovidFree and find that the immigration officials don't accept your Glenroe GP surgery hand-written vaccination receipt.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/covid-vaccine-flights-digital-passport-b1763751.html

"The International Air Transport Association (Iata) will urge the minister to work with other governments on a common standard for certification – to open up travel and avoid the possibility that passengers are obliged to be re-vaccinated.

The fear is that unless international agreement is reached swiftly, people receiving vaccines under the NHS programme may not have those jabs recognised for the purposes of international travel."

A tattoo or microchip would be more practical.

Always a risk of losing documents and getting stuck out foreign

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

is_that_so wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this beyond airlines. EU are not fans of the concept.
    The airlines are not pushing it themselves at the moment (reading the news report). They want to be sure they don't start flying people into places where their passengers are refused entry. If you get a vaccination in December, they are worried that the documents you have from then might not be adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yep along with the Big Brother happiness it brings.

The airlines are not pushing it themselves at the moment (reading the news report). They want to be sure they don't start flying people into places where their passengers are refused entry.
    It does mention a digital platform for airlines but I haven't heard anyone else talk about it. Qantas were talking about something with blockchain. I think that it will be a small numbers of countries Australia and NZ, quite probably and some other East Asia countries. It all depends on how much impact vaccines have in denting the effects of the virus and how quickly, I reckon.

It does mention a digital platform for airlines but I haven't heard anyone else talk about it. Qantas were talking about something with blockchain. I think that it will be a small numbers of countries Australia and NZ, quite probably and some other East Asia countries. It all depends on how much impact vaccines have in denting the effects of the virus and how quickly, I reckon.
    It's inevitable in my opinion for many countries. The airlines don't want you to have different procedures for different countries, they want a single standard which makes sense. I have a yellow fever cert which all looks very official (English/French) and was checked at one border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think vaccination certs are not ideal but the only way to open air travel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Official stamp on your passport from whomever administered the vaccine or a card similar to passport card.

It's inevitable in my opinion for many countries. The airlines don't want you to have different procedures for different countries, they want a single standard which makes sense. I have a yellow fever cert which all looks very official (English/French) and was checked at one border.
    Perhaps but EU won't have it and doubtful in rest of Europe.

Official stamp on your passport from whomever administered the vaccine or a card similar to passport card.
    Don't think they can do that. Issue you with a cert maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

There is no way countries like NZ, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, China, South Korea and several others are going to allow you fly in without proof of vaccine, negative test or else a stay in a hotel for two weeks. They fought too hard to get to zero covid to then allow it take off again.

The idea that you could have hotels, restaurants or pubs in these countries full of non vaccinated westerners will be a non runner, if only to stop infections among tourists themselves.

Also can't see cruise ships allowing a lot of people on board who haven't been vaccinated, otherwise the cruise will end up a nightmare with people confined to cabins.

• Advertisement

There is no way countries like NZ, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, China, South Korea and several others are going to allow you fly in without proof of vaccine, negative test or else a stay in a hotel for two weeks. They fought too hard to get to zero covid to then allow it take off again.

Also can't see cruise ships allowing a lot of people on board who haven't been vaccinated, otherwise the cruise will end up a nightmare with people confined to cabins.
    None of this really becomes an issue till the summer anyway and a negative COVID test will have to tick the box for a lot of people if we want see any level of mass tourism. Vaccines will take up a lot of 2021 anyway and many will remain unvaccinated for a large part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There is no way countries like NZ, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, China, South Korea and several others are going to allow you fly in without proof of vaccine,

I’d say the USA could be added to that also. Proof at emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Negative test, isn't much comfort. Not having a vaccination cert of some sort, will make lots of activities, difficult.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’d say the USA could be added to that also. Proof at emigration.
    Sure, but it's not really a practical rule until we get at least 6 months into vaccinations. It'll be negative tests for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The CEO of the international air transport association Alexander de juniac has pored cold water on the calls of Qantas for a digital platform.
    The CEO of iata also distanced itself from Qantas on its mandatory vaccination stance instead stating testing was more crucial to aviation travel than a vaccine.

ZX7R wrote: »
    The CEO of the international air transport association Alexander de juniac has pored cold water on the calls of Qantas for a digital platform.
    The CEO of iata also distanced itself from Qantas on its mandatory vaccination stance instead stating testing was more crucial to aviation travel than a vaccine.
    And that would be my position too. It's been set up, so use it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

And that would be my position too. It's been set up, so use it better.

Definitely testing definitely needs to
    be utilized better, the vaccine is not going to be a magic silver bullet, its just another tool to fight the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

ZX7R wrote: »
    Definitely testing definitely needs to
    be utilized better, the vaccine is not going to be a magic silver bullet, its just another tool to fight the virus.

With 90% + efficacy, it's a pretty amazing tool. It is a silver bullet once we get enough people vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Surely there shouldn't be much need for proof of vaccination for intra-EU air travel given that the EU is making sure that every member state is getting their share of the vaccine pie? If Spain, Portugal, Croatia etc want a tourist season next summer I think they're just going to have to accept EU visitors as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

With 90% + efficacy, it's a pretty amazing tool. It is a silver bullet once we get enough people vaccinated

Regardless of what other posters think i’m confident the vaccines will be a huge turnaround against the virus. They will get us back in the skies once again without any doubt.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    Surely there shouldn't be much need for proof of vaccination for intra-EU air travel given that the EU is making sure that every member state is getting their share of the vaccine pie? If Spain, Portugal, Croatia etc want a tourist season next summer I think they're just going to have to accept EU visitors as they are.
    The EU will continue to use the traffic light system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The Red C poll in visualisation form

It's "interesting" to see the difference in political alignment stats

But not surprising in the least

vf22zx6hsd261.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    The Red C poll in visualisation form

It's "interesting" to see the difference in political alignment stats

But not surprising in the least

vf22zx6hsd261.png

Sinn Fein voters being anti vax nutters. Colour me shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

Sinn Fein voters being anti vax nutters. Colour me shocked.

Maybe if we put some Irish flags on the vaccines. Boris might have had one good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

wadacrack wrote: »

I love that man. Got so much unwarranted shtick in the last few months. Even his family was threatened FFS

Off-topic, but it's being claimed that Google's AI spinoff Deep Mind has effectively "solved" protein folding which would be an amazing advance.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03348-4
    https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/11/30/1012712/deepmind-protein-folding-ai-solved-biology-science-drugs-disease/

A great year for biological science clearly. Toss mRNA delivery, DeepMind's AI and money from Bill Gates in together and we can finally create the perfect human/5G tower hybrid we've always secretly wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

wadacrack wrote: »

Amazing

This needs to be shown to every anti vaxer right now

Not that it'll do much good with many of them, Facebook and other sources have made sure of that, but even if it speaks to some of them it'll be worth it

Based on recent poll data in Ireland; we won't need them anyway. Thanks be to almighty feck

Over to you now Donnelly. Can't wait to hear your rousing vaccine speech. I'm sure it'll move mountains, hearts and minds

• Registered Users Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Vaccine roll out plan for Ireland to be announced next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭global23214124

I'm looking to get a covid test before I go back home to another county my parents are quite old. Whats my best bet to get a private test in Dublin? Head up to the airport and get one of the private ones?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement