Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just One - Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

All the rest should go in now, I presume Necro was allowing the first by itself while we all got used to the game

So far Necro, great game! Despite our team getting savaged in the first round :p

That's it exactly, once I update the spreadsheet this eve I think I'm only waiting on 4 people for all clues anyways, possibly less.

I'm glad it's being well received so far, pace is probably a bit slow but I think that's fair given the number of players and letting them have a chance to submit clues/guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    ...pace is probably a bit slow but I think that's fair given the number of players and letting them have a chance to submit clues/guesses.

To be fair to LadySkunk, she's got a lot to consider - The Oxford English Dictionary contains entries for 171,476 words :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Clarabel wrote: »
    Wait you weren't supposed to submit all the clues together?

Mine are all in.

As a four you don't need to worry about this, we are such unique beings that there is no fear of duplicates

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

To be fair to LadySkunk, she's got a lot to consider - The Oxford English Dictionary contains entries for 171,476 words :pac:

The suspense is killing me :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

The suspense is killing me :p:D

get used to it,...................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Trigger wrote: »
    Exactly, so the cluers really need to stay away from the easy enough clues as more than likely someone else will be thinking the same.

It makes giving the clues a game in itself and then hoping that the guesser has enough knowledge to put the obscure clues together.

I actually live this game :pac: wouldnt wish guessing in anyone though :D

Really? I think its great fun being the guesser. Having to decipher the clues is a blast, and giving the guess in thread instead of via PM with everyone watching is a bit of a rush too. If we play again, it would be nice to give cluer a try, but think guesser is much more my style.

FYI, Homer's Trigger-Happy Rebels and Mollywood Stars, if I end up in the same position as LadySkunk at any stage with no clues to work with, my intention is to take a stab in the dark and pluck an answer out of thin air. Go big or go home, right?

Once LadySkunk miraculously pulls the answer from thin air* we can discuss what went wrong. Probably good to do that before we all submit the rest of the clues, in case we get a feel for the way we're each playing. I'm going to hazard a guess that I matched Shelly, and Deja and Duffers matched :p

*or passes, of course. But I'm aware of what I said about that :pac:

Shall we take it as read that Skunkers is passing?

I'd quite like to know who clued what before submitting my remaining clues, but I'm aware I may be holding everything up

Shall we take it as read that Skunkers is passing?

I'd quite like to know who clued what before submitting my remaining clues, but I'm aware I may be holding everything up

Has anyone PM'd her?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

To avoid the situation Skunk finds herself in, can teams decide among themselves that one will pick an obvious clue and three will pick obscure ones? Or is that cheating?

Of course what might be obscure to some might be obvious to others and vice versa. So no guarantee that there won't still be duplicates. But maybe it's a strategy that could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

quickbeam wrote: »
    To avoid the situation Skunk finds herself in, can teams decide among themselves that one will pick an obvious clue and three will pick obscure ones? Or is that cheating?

Of course what might be obscure to some might be obvious to others and vice versa. So no guarantee that there won't still be duplicates. But maybe it's a strategy that could work.

Maybe something mods could look at in future games. I have the idea of doing a rotating guesser if I ever run one of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Pass guys obvs :pac:

I wondered that in advance but decided discussing tactics like that would be against the spirit of the game. As crap as it in some ways that this has happened to us, it is funny and does show what the game can do

If you partially planned an approach everyone would likely get four clues and easily guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

or for a team of 4, maybe divide the alphabet into 4 and only clue from your section of alphabet, a-f g-n m-r s-z
    Then you could be assured of no duplicates.

LadySkunk wrote: »
    Pass guys obvs :pac:

Sorry Skunk!

I went for MUSTARD

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Tactical planning on what clues to give would take away one of the biggest elements of the game imo. On a team of 5, the vast majority of words would be guessed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sorry Skunk!

I went for MUSTARD

Me too :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

LadySkunk wrote:
    Pass guys obvs

Pass accepted.

The correct Answer was: hot dog

I hope to have the second round up and running by 6 this evening :)

My clue was bun.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Me too :(

I was going to go for WIENER but it fell foul of the rules. Shame, with that and mustard LadySkunk would have got it. I should have just changed to sausage!

I should of went with pet or canine. Hindsight is a great thing.

• Advertisement

I should of went with pet or canine. Hindsight is a great thing.

True!

My actual answer was:
    OK, let's go!

I have two possible clues, and a flow diagram to pick one! Except I can't draw a flow diagram :p

Q1: am I allowed to ask you how you would treat a word regarding duplicates?

If "No", my clue is MUSTARD

If "Yes" then...

Q2: would "WIENER" be considered a duplicate with "SAUSAGE" or "FRANKFURTER"?

If "No", my clue is WIENER
    If "Yes", my clue is MUSTARD

Hopefully that's clear :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm just going to leave this here :D
    Also - how about team policy of never passing? If in doubt, guess! Death or glory!

Scores after Round 1:

Team Name Round 1
    The A Team 0
    Homer's Trigger-Happy Rebels and Mollywood Stars 1
    Four Men and a Lady -1
    I'm a Four, Baby 1

Trigger wrote: »
    I'm just going to leave this here :D

I know, I'm as disappointed as you Trig ;)

:(

Oh no I forgot I get minus for guessing wrong. Why didn't I pass? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok let's get Round 2 up and running:

The A Team

Guesser: LadySkunk

Valid clues: sandwiches, Underground

Homer's Trigger-Happy Rebels and Mollywood Stars

Guesser: LeVar

Valid clues:
    jaw, Key, canal, Unfasten

Four Men and a Lady

Guesser: BuileBeag

Valid clues: ply, paper, bidet, stockpile

I'm a Four, Baby

Guesser: Green&Red

Valid Clues: border, family, memories, Hang

Ok let's get Round 2 up and running:

The A Team

Guesser: LadySkunk

Valid clues: sandwiches, Underground

Another duplicate from me, sorry guys!

I'm fairly certain I know what Team 3 is but I'm still stumped on 2 and 4.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

2 is the only one I'd struggle with so far. I think I have the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Homer's Trigger-Happy Rebels and Mollywood Stars

Guesser: LeVar

Valid clues:
    jaw, Key, canal, Unfasten

Hmmm, I'm stuck between 2 words. I'll explain my reasoning for both and then give my answer in bold at the end.

The first word that came to me was Lock, because Key's lock things, you can get lockjaw, I think the gates on canals are called Locks, and the another word for fasten would be lock, but unfasten has been given as a clue as parts of the word I'm guessing can't be in the clues and someone has potentially cleverly thrown un in there, in case I was debating between Lock and Unlock based on the other clues.

The second word that I think could fit these clues is Teeth, because there are teeth in your jaw, keys have teeth, it could be root canal rather than a water canal, and this one is a bit of a stretch but if you were to unfasten/fasten or unzip/zip something you are opening or closing the teeth on your clothes/bag whatever.

Granted it could be neither of these words, but definitely the two that sprung to mind. I think the second one is a bit overly complicated, so I'm hoping I'm right in my guess that the word I'm looking for is...

Lock

Advertisement