Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just One - Game Thread

• 16-03-2020 6:12pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all, and welcome to the debut of JUST ONE on Boards :D

A recap of the rules for you all first:

To play the game, everyone on each team but one person is given a list of secret words for that round. Then everyone submits a 1-word clue to those secret words. The game mod removes any duplicate words and posts the unique clues and the one person from each team then guesses the secret words.

For each word the guesser gets correct, their team gets a point; if wrong, they lose a point. They can also pass on guessing a word, and the team's score is unchanged.

Example:
    Secret Word: Michael Jackson

Clues submitted:
    Thriller
    Moonwalk
    Superstar
    Dance
    Moonwalk
    Thriller

Thriller and Moonwalk were duplicated so would be thrown out and the guesser would be given the clues:

Superstar, Dance

They would then either guess Michael Jackson (1 point) or Taylor Swift (-1 point) or pass (0 points).

Here are some additional rules:

What clues are allowable

The clue must be composed of a single word.

Note: a digit, a number, an acronym, an onomatopoeia, or a special character are all considered to be words.

Example: 007 is allowed to help someone guess Bond, just like Riiiiiinnng or SMS are allowed to help someone guess Telephone, and $ is allowed to help someone guess America.

If an acronym is used, the secret word may not be part of it. For example, AT&T would not be a valid clue if the secret word was telephone.

Also, hyphenated words are totally fine, as long as their existence predates this thread (see more below). "yellow-haired" and "tow-headed" would be valid clues for blonde. "not-brunette" would not be a valid clue for blonde.

What clues are not allowable

A clue may not be identical or similar to any of the other secret words. For example, if "fox" and "fire" are two of the secret words, then fire is not an allowable clue for fox, and fox is not an allowable clue for fire.

In addition:

1) The clue may not be the secret word written in a different language. Calamari is not a valid clue for "squid."

2) The clue may not be from the same family as, or have the same root as, the secret word. Prince is not a valid clue for "princess." Washroom is not a valid clue for "bathroom."

3) The clue must be a pre-existing word. That is, you cannot make up words for the sake of the clue, but words that are not in the dictionary but exist independently of this thread are valid clues. Example - yumyumjuice would not be a valid clue for "alcohol."

4) The clue may not contain a significant component of the secret word, even if the root is different. Grass is not a valid clue for "grasshopper," and grasshopper is not a valid clue for "grass."

5) The clue must refer to the word itself, and not a homonym of the word or a similar-looking word. If the word is "sun," then daughter is not a valid clue. If the word is "mind," then Kaling is not a valid clue.

6) The clue must relate to the meaning of the word rather than, for example, how the word sounds or how many letters it has. Leather is not a valid clue for "weather," and three is not a valid clue for "egg."

When will clues be duplicated:

Clues that are too similar to other clues will be duped at the moderator's discretion. I will try to be consistent and apply the duplication rules in good faith. I may solicit advice on what I perceive to be close calls. I may make mistakes, but I will try not to, and I ask for your forgiveness if I do.

Fundamentally, when words appear similar, I am looking to see whether cluegivers have distinct concepts in mind that do not share the same root. For example, if the secret word is "lawn," then grass and grasshopper would be valid clues that are not duplicates, because their root is different (grass and hopper, respectively) and they are conveying different things. Likewise, Superman and Supergirl would not be duped, because the roots are different (man and girl) and they are referring to different things. However, bite and bitten as clues for "eat" would be considered duplicates of each other, as would highway and freeway as clues for "road." Again, there will be judgment calls, but I will do my best to be consistent.

My next post will outline how the game will work.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

How the game works:

There will be 8 rounds of words and clues provided.

Once I have PMed the words to all players, I will announce it on thread.

Players providing clues will have 24 hrs to send me their first clue - all subsequent clues must be submitted within 72 hrs.

Once I receive clues from all players I will remove the duplicates and post the first round on thread, with the clues for the words under the team names.

Players will then have 24 hrs to guess the word, or to pass.

If you need any help or guidance with any of the above, please PM me.

Teams cannot confer on clues once the words have been provided.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

And finally, a reminder of the teams, and the guessers:

The A Team
    LadySkunk
    Electric Nitwit
    duffman13
    Deja Boo
    mustang shelly

Guesser: LadySkunk

Homer's Trigger-Happy Rebels and Mollywood Stars
    Homer J. Fong
    Trigger
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Mollyb60
    Reberetta

Guesser: Also Starring LeVar Burton

Four Men and a Lady
    Barney92
    Kolido
    MicksJaguar
    sKeith
    BuileBeag

Guesser: Builebeag

I'm a Four, Baby
    tusk
    Clarabel
    Green&Red
    lassykk
    kitten_k

Guesser: Green&Red

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

giphy.gif

Ok folks, PMs have been issued. Stupid Boards limitations :(

First clue needs to be submitted by 7pm tomorrow

All other clues must be submitted by 7pm on Thursday evening.

And away we go!!

I'M SO NERVOUS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

2 Questions for us Guessers Necro...

1) When you say you're posting the clues in the thread, does that mean that each team is guessing a different word? As in, we're not all guessing the same thing as other teams?

2) Will we be giving our answers in Thread or PM'ing you?

2 Questions for us Guessers Necro...

1) When you say you're posting the clues in the thread, does that mean that each team is guessing a different word? As in, we're not all guessing the same thing as other teams?

2) Will we be giving our answers in Thread or PM'ing you?

1) Yes each team has a seperate set of words :)

2) You can make your guess on thread :D

So the rest of us presumably have to STFU once the clues are out?

So the rest of us presumably have to STFU once the clues are out?

Yes, in a way it's very like codenames.

Necro wrote: »
    1) Yes each team has a seperate set of words :)

2) You can make your guess on thread :D

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Wow, some of ye don't mess around!

2 first answer clues submitted already.

And one entire set of clues :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Bring

It

On

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f296fe5713f03ae8db9923174df6ea93c1da718c5f6&rid=giphy.gif

Done. Is there a special prize for most complicated submission of a clue? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I think ours are fairly tough.

Got my clues in but they really depend on the rest of my team picking certain words so that they can then make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Just a suggestion: Maybe it would be better if the whole thing was done via private message and then revealed by Necro, so that no oblivious outsiders would see the thread in the latest posts and butt in with answers and ruin it.

Reberetta wrote: »
    Just a suggestion: Maybe it would be better if the whole thing was done via private message and then revealed by Necro, so that no oblivious outsiders would see the thread in the latest posts and butt in with answers and ruin it.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I presume google isn’t allowed?

Sorry for delay folks.

Just in the door from work I'm pretty hectic, so if I haven't replied to you or don't your clues are fine, Boards PM limitations mean I'd be going mad trying to get back to you all :)

Ok couple of things mentioned:

I understand the worry, but I think we will be ok, if it happens I have back up words just in case :)
    I presume google isn’t allowed?

I probably should have said this in the rules, but you're correct. I'm just gonna trust y'all on that one :D

Now to business.

Just waiting on clues from Kolido and Deja Boo and I can release the first ones for our guessers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Just waiting on clues from Kolido and Deja Boo and I can release the first ones for our guessers :D

Necro? I sent them all to you late last night... I shall go check pm's and resend, then I'm off to do some work for a few hours.

• Advertisement

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Necro? I sent them all to you late last night... I shall go check pm's and resend, then I'm off to do some work for a few hours.

Just found them, apologies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Just found them, apologies :o

Noooo problem, :) thanks for running this, have a good one!

3syfs0.gif
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

*checks if Kolido is a four

**no

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f294bfae4f3080edb3d1567751eb8ecaa929cc3232e&rid=giphy.gif

All clues are in.

Y'all ready for Round 1?

giphy.gif

3syl4c.gif

So here we go folks.

Round One of Just One - the inaugural game on boards!!!

And here are the valid clues for each team after removal of duplicates...

Note: If your clue does not appear it means it has been duplicated, Valid clues is just how I'm wording it :)

The A Team

Guesser - LadySkunk

Valid clues: (No valid clues) :(

Guesser - Also Starring LeVar Burton

Valid Clues: Totoro, Australia, Flanders, Minogue

Four Men and a Lady

Guesser: BuileBeag

Valid Clues: James, Saturn

I'm a Four, Baby

Guesser: Green&Red

Valid clues: tile, Sun, citrus, Club

Guessers have until 6pm tomorrow evening to make a guess or pass

The A Team

Guesser - LadySkunk

Valid clues: (No valid clues) :(

Ha ha - sorry LadySkunk!
    Good luck :p

Guesser - Also Starring LeVar Burton

Valid Clues: Totoro, Australia, Flanders, Minogue

Got it! Was super confused for a second, because I don't have any frame of reference for Totoro (some Anime thing?), but from the other 3 its very obvious, especially being a massive Soap fan...

Neighbour(s)

Final answer!

• Advertisement

Ha ha - sorry LadySkunk!
    Good luck :p

Ah shoots, what's the odds of that happening :confused:

Advertisement