Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sky news reporter smashing into Boris Johnson's government policies and strategy implementation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I don't think authoritarian measures like forcibly keeping people in their homes are right.

People should comply with the measures but by consent and not by force. The majority are following the advice.

What would you do, then with the people who insist on going out when they don't need to, who insist on gathering together when they shouldn't, who insist on travelling to rural areas where there isn't yet any infection, and where there isn't the medical infrastructure to cope with an epidemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

This initial accelerated UK growth is completely in line with the herd immunity strategy. Taps been turned off now with everything closed, expect a dramatic leveling out for that graph. Well played, UK.

That graph is 2 days out of date and the trend in the 2 days since has been a continued sharp spike upwards with another 56 deaths yesterday and 48 so far today. There's no leveling off to be seen.

This initial accelerated UK growth is completely in line with the herd immunity strategy. Taps been turned off now with everything closed, expect a dramatic leveling out for that graph. Well played, UK.

So same as Italy. Are you equally proud of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

What would you do, then with the people who insist on going out when they don't need to, who insist on gathering together when they shouldn't, who insist on travelling to rural areas where there isn't yet any infection, and where there isn't the medical infrastructure to cope with an epidemic?

Until this outbreak I never knew we had so many hardcore libertarians who seem to disagree with the entire concept of laws and reckon the government should just rely on everyone doing the right thing voluntarily.

It reminds me of a quote about the UK's brexit strategy
    If something was obviously the right thing to do there was no need to have it enshrined in law. To take the lead, he was proposing to make murder legal on the grounds that everyone knew it was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You do know it takes 2-3 weeks at the very least to see any effect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Until this outbreak I never knew we had so many hardcore libertarians who seem to disagree with the entire concept of laws and reckon the government should just rely on everyone doing the right thing voluntarily.

It reminds me of a quote about the UK's brexit strategy

Wouldn't it be a wonderful world of adults didn't need babysitters telling them what to do and say. Too many people need the government and if were out in the world by themselves would be dead in a week.

You can also tell that to the Italians

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/2020/03/italy-people-are-stunned-uk-government-s-complacent-response-coronavirus

Greece - home of democracy - imposes total lockdown from tomorrow morning. They've a deaths-per-million rate of about one third of the UK.
    Germany - forever remembered for a previous episode of population control - imposes a ban on public gatherings of more than 2 people in one time/place with immediate effect.
    France - for which the word "Liberté" has first place in their national slogan - is now using all three branches of the military to assist in the management of the disease.

Britain: has a prime minister who reacts with shock to a reporter's suggestion that maybe the police should encourage the English to behave responsibly.

Seriously wtf is up with the English? Nurses being spat at and kicked while being called disease spreaders,
    6 ambulances getting their tyres drilled last night, crowds spitting and coughing at police who were simply guarding an incident scene, NHS workers in tears because when they finish their endless shifts trying to save lives they are met with empty food shelves due to hoarding......

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    NHS workers in tears because when they finish their endless shifts trying to save lives they are met with empty food shelves due to hoarding......

... or come home to find their landlord/lady has kicked them out because they work for the NHS. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Trump is certain to loose now in November, he's human, the pressure must be immense

He hasn't been that great so far during the crisis but it's not his fault either, the American people are especially opposed to strong arm tactics by the state

He couldn't have done a China a month ago
    He might pull out of the running himself, I reckon a lot of the candidates wouldn't want the presidency now if you wrapped it up in a bow.

... or come home to find their landlord/lady has kicked them out because they work for the NHS. :mad:

What the ever living fvck is going on with them? Like we new there was this weird selfishness in them from Brexit but this is getting to ridiculous levels that they are attacking the very people they will need to save them. Compare that to the stuff happening in other countries with minutes silences being held to show respect and thank their health workers, or songs being sung around cities, 100s of thousands being raised to buy them food, people offerring free nanny services.... I just cannot wrap my head around how the english are behaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What the ever living fvck is going on with them? Like we new there was this weird selfishness in them from Brexit but this is getting to ridiculous levels that they are attacking the very people they will need to save them. Compare that to the stuff happening in other countries with minutes silences being held to show respect and thank their health workers, or songs being sung around cities, 100s of thousands being raised to buy them food, people offerring free nanny services.... I just cannot wrap my head around how A FEW IDIOTS are behaving.

Fixed that for you their chief, don't tar a whole nation due to the actions of a few uninformed fùckwits please.

Fixed that for you their chief, don't tar a whole nation due to the actions of a few uninformed fùckwits please.

Until they and their government show some evidence of taking this seriously ill keep tarring them all with the moronic brush thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

What the ever living fvck is going on with them? Like we new there was this weird selfishness in them from Brexit but this is getting to ridiculous levels that they are attacking the very people they will need to save them. Compare that to the stuff happening in other countries with minutes silences being held to show respect and thank their health workers, or songs being sung around cities, 100s of thousands being raised to buy them food, people offerring free nanny services.... I just cannot wrap my head around how the english are behaving.

The dopes should be angry with the gov. who have screwed them but instead they are venting it on the hardworking, decent people putting themselves at risk on the frontline.

The most uninformed of them being the one who's chosen to give an ego-boosting press conference every day (in case anyone might forget about him).

I thought the British Government's strategy was supposed to rely heavily on behavioural science? Have they brought in a ban on evictions, like the French or the Americans did? Nope. Have they banned people from hanging out together in the open air like just about every other nation has? Nope. Have they imposed travel restrictions to stop people spreading the disease further afield? Nope.

Plenty of examples of "bad" behaviour to be seen in other countries following early measures, so what has the UK done to avoid falling into the same trap? Hope a chap does the right thing? I'm eagerly awaiting theological's answer.

Until they and their government show some evidence of taking this seriously ill keep tarring them all with the moronic brush thanks

England: Bars, cafes, restaurants closed, shops closing, social distancing encouraged, horse racing cancelled.

Ireland, bars closed, cafes and restaurants still open, horse racing still going ahead.

If you think the UK Gov isn't taking it serious then it's not my place to try convince you. As for the people? I live here, I see people taking it serious, it's a few idiots who are doing stupid things. Pretty much like the Irish people taking day trips on sunny days to the beaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

An 18 year old among the dead today over here.

The most uninformed of them being the one who's chosen to give an ego-boosting press conference every day (in case anyone might forget about him).

I thought the British Government's strategy was supposed to rely heavily on behavioural science? Have they brought in a ban on evictions, like the French or the Americans did? Nope. Have they banned people from hanging out together in the open air like just about every other nation has? Nope. Have they imposed travel restrictions to stop people spreading the disease further afield? Nope.

Plenty of examples of "bad" behaviour to be seen in other countries following early measures, so what has the UK done to avoid falling into the same trap? Hope a chap does the right thing? I'm eagerly awaiting theological's answer.

Has ireland done any of those things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They have put a ban on people being evicted

Has ireland done any of those things?

Don't know, it's a foreign country to me these days - but if they haven't then they should.

Don't know, it's a foreign country to me these days - but if they haven't then they should.

So you have no clue? Just spouting anti English shìte without knowing the facts? Ok ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

meeeeh wrote:
    I don't know where thrends are going but Irish approach is actually fairly mild in comparison to central Europe. I think it's too early to judge but I see Slovenian numbers and at the moment they are not increasing as much (they were going up more than Irish week ago) despite bordering on North Italy (it seems half of the country was skiing there during school holidays) and testing more.
    Czech numbers are at 1000 cases now which is half per capita than Ireland.
    The growth seems to be slowing down significantly thanks to the measures taken (state of emergency, everything closed, mandatory masks in the public, vigorous testing and isolation of clusters etc.), today's increase was less than 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Do you guys reckon that if you're over a certain age or have underlying conditions you're pretty much guaranteed a hospital stay? Is this a stupid question?

Numbers speak.

Czech Republic - population 10 million - 1,100 cases, 1 death

United Kingdom - population 60 million - 5,683 cases, 281 deaths

That's 47 times higher mortality per capita with roughly the same number of cases per capita.

Of course this will decrease over time, but I'd expect UK mortality to be several times higher in the end. They are either not testing enough and/or not managing the treatment.

Anyway, the NHS is not the best health service in the world (an English myth really - at least 10 just in Europe are far superior) and absolutely cannot even be the best under the current regime.

This is not going to end up well unless serious measures are taken...

England: Bars, cafes, restaurants closed, shops closing, social distancing encouraged, horse racing cancelled.

Did they close themselves or were ordered to close? Significant difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

And I think that's a "so British" attitude: sit around doing nothing, denying reality (see everything Brexit) and when reality smacks Britain in the face, re-write the narrative to make it sound like a noble quest.

Despite the political hyperbole, this is not a war, it is (was) a preventable disease that the world's leaders - especially in Europe & the US - allowed infect their country, abetted by many of their own citizens who, even now, take pride in ignorantly flouting the (limited) containment measures put in place.

Perhaps you will tell the head of Ireland`s HSE that you reckon he`s got it wrong and it`s not a war.:rolleyes:https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/coronavirus-ireland-fighting-war-against-a-silent-and-dangerous-enemy-989245.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RasTa wrote: »
    An 18 year old among the dead today over here.

with underlying health issues??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Just read a story that President Macron threatened to close border with UK if they didn't get their act together.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement