Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

What was wrong with her advice? Do you think that people should not continue to keep doing what they are doing (i.e. social distancing?). All she was doing was reassuring people. There would be a lot of vulnerable and worried people out there

I posted it over on the Brexit thread, but apparently it took Macron ordering Johnson that the UK needed to get its act in order for him to tell pubs to close

She was wrong to say a vaccine will be along soon. It won't and we don't know if it even will be effective if it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Saw Trump on telly this morning. He looks like crap, not sleeping probably. All his bluster and confidence are gone too. I think the enormity of the situation has finally dawned on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

threeball wrote: »
    She was wrong to say a vaccine will be along soon. It won't and we don't know if it even will be effective if it arrives.

A vaccine will be along soon, but soon in the medical sense is 12 months, possibly it will be FastTracked and it will be 9 months

But it is needed to be mentioned that it will come as it will give people the reassurance that this is a temporary crisis.

And that's the issue with the original uk idea of infecting many. They did not factor in that the knowledge on this virus would continue to grow and sooner or later there will be a vaccine and also drugs to ease it

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Wales have announced 7 further deaths, bringing their total to 12. They have 60% of our population but four times our number of deaths. I think this is another early indication of the human cost of the UK's dithering.

That is scary. UK seems to be following the Italian path with a two week lag.

Saw Trump on telly this morning. He looks like crap, not sleeping probably. All his bluster and confidence are gone too. I think the enormity of the situation has finally dawned on him.

It makes you wonder just how honest the Chinese and WHO have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Interesting snippet in today's Sunday Times

The full article actually state what Cummings said at the beginning then penny dropped and he wanted stricter measures and lock down of London and Johnson didn't want to do it.

It's an interesting article.

meeeeh wrote: »
    The full article actually state what Cummings said at the beginning then penny dropped and he wanted stricter measures and lock down of London and Johnson didn't want to do it.

It's an interesting article.

And this all happened around the time people were still heading to Italy for a holiday, with the advice of don’t go north of Bologna.

It really shows how quickly this whole thing has escalated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

What was wrong with her advice? Do you think that people should not continue to keep doing what they are doing (i.e. social distancing?). All she was doing was reassuring people. There would be a lot of vulnerable and worried people out there

I posted it over on the Brexit thread, but apparently it took Macron ordering Johnson that the UK needed to get its act in order for him to tell pubs to close

Think Leo had words too. That's why he closed the schools.

The UK is a joke tbh and if finding that more scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Aegir wrote: »
    Apparently?

Nothing like the word apparently in front of a sentence to give it full credibility.

Taken from the Telegraph.

"Emmanuel Macron is said to have threatened to close the border with the UK unless Boris Johnson clamped down on measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

The French President was said to have spoken to the Prime Minister on Friday morning informing him that if he did not introduce more strident measures on the public he would be forced to close the border, according to the French newspaper Libération.

It reported that Mr Macron gave Mr Johnson an ultimatum where he threatened an entry ban on any traveler from the UK if there were no new measures.

“We had to clearly threaten him to make him finally budge,” the report quoted an Elysee official as saying.

Contacted by the Telegraph, Mr Macron’s office confirmed the accuracy of the Libération story but declined to comment further...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I see that Sadiq Khan stoked more panic on TV this morning by saying the police could enforce social distancing in London. This is just going to make people panicked enough to drive somewhere else and leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

At bit of panic there at this stage mightn't be any harm. They need to cop on.

Water John wrote: »
    At bit of panic there at this stage mightn't be any harm. They need to cop on.

Millions of people driving out of London is not "cop on". That's the risk of messages like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Trump is certain to loose now in November, he's human, the pressure must be immense

He hasn't been that great so far during the crisis but it's not his fault either, the American people are especially opposed to strong arm tactics by the state

He couldn't have done a China a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6 WhiteLight20

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Virus is currently spreading like wildfire in the UK

Yes, and Ireland isn’t far behind them. Why are people treating this like a vacation!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The WhO are Chinese lapdogs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Why haven't we banned flights from the uk yet? We'll have to stop them coming in and set up the border along the Irish sea. It's not a time for politics but looking after the interests of our people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

We don't need to wonder: it's public knowledge that the Chinese tried to cover up the early warning signs, detaining the doctor(s?) who first raised the alert, but once the full impact became obvious, Chinese central government took over and rolled out it's pseudo-western "full transparency" programme alongside the Wuhan lockdown.

There's no need to get all conspiratorial about the WHO either, as it has no particular political agenda, and is essentially little more than an umbrella organisation for a whole range of diverse opinions (of the kind you were praising only the other day) and a platform for discussing best practice disease management protocols.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Why does Trump's bull**** make you doubt the Chinese? The plonker who minimised the threat in Hubei was sacked and is likely refurbishing mobile phones in some prison and so should Trump.

I see that Sadiq Khan stoked more panic on TV this morning by saying the police could enforce social distancing in London. This is just going to make people panicked enough to drive somewhere else and leave.

If the feckers would isolate themselves, without the police being needed, then he wouldn't have to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Germany is the obvious comparator here, as the British always like to compare themselves to their Saxon brethern. Germany has 4 times the cases, but only one third of the deaths of the UK, presumably because they test everyone who might have it.

Interesting article in the guardian today about Germany. The most interesting point for me was -

Crucially, Germany started testing people even with milder symptoms relatively early on, meaning the total number of confirmed cases may give a more accurate picture of the virus’s spread than in other states.

Whereas the UK is really only testing when people get to hospital. So the larger number of people in the UK with mild symptoms are being ignored.

Also from the article it compares Germany to Italy -

One likely explanation for the discrepancy in figures, Addo suggested, was that while northern Italy’s hospitals are being overrun with new patients, Germany’s are not yet at full capacity and have had more time to clear beds, stock up on equipment and redistribute personnel.

So the good news from the German figures is that this is a highly infectious virus but mortality rates across the board are actually quite low. 84/23000 = 0.36% at most. If you are unlucky to catch it badly then having a functioning health service that is not overwhelmed is crucial to your survival.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/germany-low-coronavirus-mortality-rate-puzzles-experts

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why does Trump's bull**** make you doubt the Chinese? The plonker who minimised the threat in Hubei was sacked and is likely refurbishing mobile phones in some prison and so should Trump.

If the feckers would isolate themselves, without the police being needed, then he wouldn't have to do this.
    I can't fathom why they think threatening people seems like a good idea. We are bombarded up to a dozen times daily in a far more civilised tone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Hey - we're on the same page at last! Yes: it's an utterly stupid idea to announce movement restrictions in advance, because humans being the selfish species that they are will almost invariably look after N°1 first. That pattern of behaviour has been repeated across all areas - the Northern Italians spread it to the south, when they heard Lombardy was going to be locked down; the Parisians made a run for their holiday homes in provincial France when Macron said France was being locked down; and my mother has informed me that every foreigner working with or for my siblings (and my son's flatmate) packed their bags and fled Dublin when it was rumoured that Ireland would be quarantined.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we go to great lengths to make sure that our favourite animals don't suffer from this kind of irresponsible disease-spreading behaviour, but woebetide any government taking steps to protect humans from their own vulnerability as animals susceptible to disease like any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Interesting article in the guardian today about Germany. The most interesting point for me was -

Crucially, Germany started testing people even with milder symptoms relatively early on, meaning the total number of confirmed cases may give a more accurate picture of the virus’s spread than in other states.

Whereas the UK is really only testing when people get to hospital. So the larger number of people in the UK with mild symptoms are being ignored.

Also from the article it compares Germany to Italy -

One likely explanation for the discrepancy in figures, Addo suggested, was that while northern Italy’s hospitals are being overrun with new patients, Germany’s are not yet at full capacity and have had more time to clear beds, stock up on equipment and redistribute personnel.

So the good news from the German figures is that this is a highly infectious virus but mortality rates across the board are actually quite low. 84/23000 = 0.36% at most. If you are unlucky to catch it badly then having a functioning health service that is not overwhelmed is crucial to your survival.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/germany-low-coronavirus-mortality-rate-puzzles-experts

The UK approach to testing (not), is strange. There are several tv personalities self isolating at the moment and still contributing to their progs, some are reporting symptoms, but they will not know if they have Covid-19, because they are not being tested.

When they best guess that they are clear and return to work, they will not know if they had it and have acquired immunity, or if they didn't have it and are still at risk of catching and spreading it.

It all seems a world away from our belt and braces approach. I can't see it working out well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Biffo just tweeted for everyone to 'stay at home'.
    See the suspicious looking puppet master chap (cummings) failed to 'super-predict' the curve properly, and they've resorted to manage by tweet:
    Expect more of this with the coming critical incidents over the next 10wks of pandemic growth.

qzCjUFp.png

One bonus however is securing use of private med facilities and equipment, some paying customers might take the huff, but it's simply tough luck for them.

bob mcbob wrote: »

The bad news is that German health system is among the best in the world and has very good capacity and high number of ICU beds. As I posted before I read an article where Italian doctor was commenting on German numbers and basically said it's quite easy keep numbers of dead down if you have resources. If you scroll down this article you will find who is at the bottom.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/19/covid-19-how-many-intensive-care-beds-do-member-states-have

Basically Germany has almost three times as many ICU beds as UK. Ireland is just about higher than Italy but also low but at least ventilators are being produced here.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    It all seems a world away from our belt and braces approach. I can't see it working out well for them.

I don't know where thrends are going but Irish approach is actually fairly mild in comparison to central Europe. I think it's too early to judge but I see Slovenian numbers and at the moment they are not increasing as much (they were going up more than Irish week ago) despite bordering on North Italy (it seems half of the country was skiing there during school holidays) and testing more.

Again huge warning about above and I think it's too early to judge how measures are working. Italy and I think Spain are f*cked though.

Hey - we're on the same page at last! Yes: it's an utterly stupid idea to announce movement restrictions in advance, because humans being the selfish species that they are will almost invariably look after N°1 first. That pattern of behaviour has been repeated across all areas - the Northern Italians spread it to the south, when they heard Lombardy was going to be locked down; the Parisians made a run for their holiday homes in provincial France when Macron said France was being locked down; and my mother has informed me that every foreigner working with or for my siblings (and my son's flatmate) packed their bags and fled Dublin when it was rumoured that Ireland would be quarantined.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we go to great lengths to make sure that our favourite animals don't suffer from this kind of irresponsible disease-spreading behaviour, but woebetide any government taking steps to protect humans from their own vulnerability as animals susceptible to

disease like any other.

I'm not sure we agree. I don't think authoritarian measures like forcibly keeping people in their homes are right.

People should comply with the measures but by consent and not by force. The majority are following the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I'm not sure we agree. I don't think authoritarian measures like forcibly keeping people in their homes are right.

People should comply with the measures but by consent and not by force. The majority are following the advice.

And it only takes a minority to **** it all up for everybody. Hefty fines should have the desired effect.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5683 known infected
    281 dead.

So then the vulnerable being asked to isolate for 12 weeks. A list on gov.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Biffo just tweeted for everyone to 'stay at home'.
    See the suspicious looking puppet master chap (cummings) failed to 'super-predict' the curve properly, and they've resorted to manage by tweet:
    Expect more of this with the coming critical incidents over the next 10wks of pandemic growth.

qzCjUFp.png

One bonus however is securing use of private med facilities and equipment, some paying customers might take the huff, but it's simply tough luck for them.

This initial accelerated UK growth is completely in line with the herd immunity strategy. Taps been turned off now with everything closed, expect a dramatic leveling out for that graph. Well played, UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

This initial accelerated UK growth is completely in line with the herd immunity strategy. Taps been turned off now with everything closed, expect a dramatic leveling out for that graph. Well played, UK.

:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement