Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,267 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Can see the UK imposing much more strict measures in the coming days. Pictures like this from London will force them to.

https://twitter.com/Hopton2470/status/1241982363850211329

Not sure that their decision makers will care so much
    Anyone on a bus over the age of 25 is a failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Aegir wrote: »
    The doctors don’t differ and the people making the decisions, ie the four chief medical officers, are all in the same page. As the all the devolved regions.

People are entitled to different opinions though, but as shown in the post above where I am told to fuc off, that seems to be frowned upon in Ireland.

People are entitled to their opinion but nobody is obliged to respect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Can see the UK imposing much more strict measures in the coming days. Pictures like this from London will force them to.

I can show you pictures of the Southend to Fenchruch street train from this morning. They've reduced services which I'm sure everyone was aware of but on top of that they have reduced all trains from 12 carriages to 8. People were rammed together. Personally I wouldn't have boarded but not everyones employer is as understanding as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

moritz1234 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1241394343472218114?s=20

Nice to see compassion and help out there - well done Germany !

Indeed, but also Switzerland and Austria ... and other areas in France. It's all part of the effort to reduce the strain on the ICU here in Mulhouse. The Air Force has been evacuating patients to hospitals the south and west of France since last week, and the army's field hospital comes on stream today. The cross border cooperation is the fruit of decades of peaceful, constructive coexistence with the neighbours, regardless of what language the spoke or what religion they practised, or even if they were in or out of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Ireland needs to ban all travel from the UK and that has to apply to the north also. Emotive as it may be, we simply cannot have the free movement of people from the Uk into the 26 counties. Fatalities from Covid in the UK are increasing at a faster rate than anywhere in the world, and remember the UK are only testing for covid in hospitals and not in the community so the real number of cases is exponentially higher than the figures suggest. The UK is also 2 weeks behind where Italy is currently.

My concern would be Irish passport holders trying to access Ireland in the coming days when the sh!t really starts to hit the fan all over the UK. We are blessed we are an island nation off the western tip of europe but this will stand for nought if we allow people to travel to this country from the UK etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Tropicalaa

reg114 wrote: »
    Ireland needs to ban all travel from the UK and that has to apply to the north also. Emotive as it may be, we simply cannot have the free movement of people from the Uk into the 26 counties. Fatalities from Covid in the UK are increasing at a faster rate than anywhere in the world, and remember the UK are only testing for covid in hospitals and not in the community so the real number of cases is exponentially higher than the figures suggest. The UK is also 2 weeks behind where Italy is currently.

My concern would be Irish passport holders trying to access Ireland in the coming days when the sh!t really starts to hit the fan all over the UK. We are blessed we are an island nation off the western tip of europe but this will stand for nought if we allow people to travel to this country from the UK etc

There can't be many persons moving over and back to GB now, there's a lot of goods transported which would mean job losses

The NI border is unshutdownable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Indeed, but also Switzerland and Austria ... and other areas in France. It's all part of the effort to reduce the strain on the ICU here in Mulhouse. The Air Force has been evacuating patients to hospitals the south and west of France since last week, and the army's field hospital comes on stream today. The cross border cooperation is the fruit of decades of peaceful, constructive coexistence with the neighbours, regardless of what language the spoke or what religion they practised, or even if they were in or out of the EU.

I wouldn't be too lyrical about cooperation. Germany and France put ban on exporting safety equipment and when Italians were desperately looking for it nobody was helping. I know Slovenia and Austria have same issues trying to get equipment which landed in Germany to their countries. I think Germany lifted the export ban but there is an awful lot of everyone for themselves going on in Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/italy-criticises-eu-being-slow-help-coronavirus-epidemic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Travelling to and from work over the weekend,the roads were eerily deserted.Travelling through the Mersey tunnel into Liverpool I never saw another person or car for 5 minutes,which is significant if you consider Liverpool is a large city.
    Today,as the designated shopper I went to tesco and a couple of other shops.Food was readily available,although I noticed toilet roll was scarce(and bizarrely brown sauce!)I purchased a packet of chicken breasts in tesco and was surprised that they were from Poland which I`ve never encountered before but perhaps tesco is casting it`s net further afield-I was`nt concerned though as obviously Poland being part of the EU the meat quality is guaranteed.Not sure I would have bought it if it was from the US!
    In all the shops I went in there were posters reminding people to keep 2 metres apart which was being adhered to by all.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Wrong.

40,000 kits arrived last week and hundreds of thousands on the way.

Only delay is in physically taking the test and in the past few days over 30 testing centers opened and a further 20 will open this week. Mostly drive through operations.

Try using more reliable sources than cousin of wife

Good news,thanks.
    I read this link which claims that oxford university has developed a virus test which reduces testing time this along with the vaccine they are developing is good news for all.
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/03/23/uk-coronavirus-outbreak-pandemic-covid-19-test-oxford-university-npw-pkg-intl-ldn-vpx.cnn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Good news,thanks.
    I read this link which claims that oxford university has developed a virus test which reduces testing time this along with the vaccine they are developing is good news for all.
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/03/23/uk-coronavirus-outbreak-pandemic-covid-19-test-oxford-university-npw-pkg-intl-ldn-vpx.cnn

We have developed a test which gives results in 15 mins. Should be released next week. It's a company in tipperary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

54 new deaths in the UK.

This strategy of only testing people in hospital is bizarre imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

In Wuhan where it overcame the city's health service the death rate was 3.5% of cases. In the rest of China it was 0.6% of cases.
    Thanks for posting this, I wasn't aware of it.

Our death rate so far is 0.44% (906 cases, 4 deaths). With 5,837 cases, and 289 deaths, the UK's current death rate is 5%. :eek:

We have developed a test which gives results in 15 mins. Should be released next week. It's a company in tipperary

That's good news,especially as there's a massive 40,000 back log of people waiting for tests.
    Meanwhile,watching Matt Hancock in the HOC earlier, the UK has tested more people than the US or France.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This is not totally correct, we developed an antibody test that takes 15 minutes, this means it will only tell you if you had the virus so its not gonna be much use for the time being unfortunately

Meanwhile,watching Matt Hancock in the HOC earlier, the UK has tested more people than the US or France.

Don't think that is correct. What numbers are you basing that off?

US reached over 100k tested a few days ago and UK still at about 70k tested according to what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

US reached over 100k tested a few days ago and UK still at about 70k tested according to what I saw.

Yeah a few days ago they were saying they had only done 60k so think hes not being honest there

As I said,I saw Matt Hancock say it in the house of commons today but this link backs it up,although upon closer inspection he`s using the total tests per million whilst you are correct the US has carried out more total tests .Using the statisics you have used,the UK is second only to Germany for testing in Europe.
    https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing

Once again, the number of tests performed means absolutely nothing if it's not accompanied by positive, decisive, effective disease-control measures. These are still not being exercised in the UK, so it makes no difference whether they carry out 100 or 100000 tests this week.

serfboard wrote: »

Our death rate so far is 0.44% (906 cases, 4 deaths). With 5,837 cases, and 289 deaths, the UK's current death rate is 5%. :eek:

The number is meaningless without every country having the same denominator

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

serfboard wrote: »

The UK death rate is a pointless figure. The official case numbers are nowhere near accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That's good news,especially as there's a massive 40,000 back log of people waiting for tests.

Yeah, but last Thursday the chief medical officer in the UK said the real number of infections in the UK was over 60,000...that was four days ago.

bilston wrote: »
    The UK death rate is a pointless figure. The official case numbers are nowhere near accurate.

If it is taking over a week from phoning the doctor to getting the test results through, then the Irish number are pretty pointless as well.

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah, but last Thursday the chief medical officer in the UK said the real number of infections in the UK was over 60,000...that was four days ago.

You're probably getting confused with the number of tests the UK has carried out,over 60,000-second highest in Europe behind Germany.

Johnson to speak to the nation (again) this evening at 20:30GMT. What's the betting that he announces that he's decided that the UK will have to follow the same enforced movement restrictions that every other country has put in place ... and if so, will his defenders finally accept that he wasted all of last week trying to waffle and bluster his way out of doing what he was told from the beginning would be the most effective way of curbing the contagion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

Johnson to speak to the nation (again) this evening at 20:30GMT. What's the betting that he announces that he's decided that the UK will have to follow the same enforced movement restrictions that every other country has put in place ... and if so, will his defenders finally accept that he wasted all of last week trying to waffle and bluster his way out of doing what he was told from the beginning would be the most effective way of curbing the contagion?

I think you're right, hes going to close the borders as there was a directive today for all Britains to return home. God only knows what that means for the border in the North

As I said,I saw Matt Hancock say it in the house of commons today but this link backs it up,although upon closer inspection he`s using the total tests per million whilst you are correct the US has carried out more total tests .Using the statisics you have used,the UK is second only to Germany for testing in Europe.
    https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing

No. Those are interactive graphs. You can click on them to add other countries. For example, Ireland is 1350 (17th March) vs UK's 960 (+2 days on 19th March). Ireland just isn't included on the graph by default.

Here is the graph with a few more added in

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid19-tests-per-million-people?country=AUT+FIN+FRA+DEU+GBR+IRL+HUN+CZE+BEL+LTU+NLD+MLT+NOR+SVN+ESP+ROU+POL+LVA+ITA+ISL+DNK+HRV+FRO+BLR

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It is sad to see the few jingoistic posters here constantly trying to defend the UK response by sniping at the Irish response.

There are enough tit-for-tat threads already on Boards for the 'themuns' brigade without polluting this thread as well.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    It is sad to see the few jingoistic posters here constantly trying to defend the UK response by sniping at the Irish response.

There are enough tit-for-tat threads already on Boards for the 'themuns' brigade without polluting this thread as well.

The fact that there is a thread dedicated to the UK response says it all to be honest.

threeball wrote: »
    I think you're right, hes going to close the borders as there was a directive today for all Britains to return home. God only knows what that means for the border in the North

That was telling them that if they don’t come home now, there is no guarantee of getting them home at all.

I would guess that flights are about to pick up those stranded in Peru and that will be it. If you didn’t head the warning, tough luck.

• Advertisement

We have enforced movement restrictions in Ireland?

What are they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement