Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    Probably tmi to post this so delete if inappropriate but I can really see the wall people who commit suicide hit these days. I won't do it like because of the people I would be leaving in the lurch but the actual physical pain from this emotional anguish gets incredibly hard to bear and in terms of my own life. I actually get no joy from anything anymore. Basically from the waking moment the anxiety sets in and I can't get to sleep at night because it feels like the walls are closing in around me. I'm tired all the time and I'm worried constantly. Up until this year I had no mental health issues and was absolutely full of the joys of life. I'm probably fairly weak to say that this has taken such a toll on me so quickly but with no light at the end of the tunnel I'm just coping very badly and feel completely alone. I can't tell anyone belong to me because I know that they have their own stuff to deal with and it would be too much for them. I also feel bad posting it here or thinking about telling a counsellor because everyone is in the same boat. Hope everyone is doing alright.

I think there are way, way, way more people feeling like this than many would suspect, yet there is almost no government support provided and the news media ignores it entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As a few others have posted, reaching out to a professional counsellor or mindfulness coach can be a big help. I have had a tricky ol time this last 6 weeks but am just starting to turn a corner. Having a mood disorder [Bipolar] can really knock a person off their feet. I made a compleat hash of things after lockdown ended a few weeks back and spent like a silly fool now after taking stock I hope I can get myself back on my feet without hitting a bad downward patch. In the past, I would have started drinking and gone into a spiral that would end up with depression but thanks to awareness and previous counselling I can better look after myself. Keep well everyone who may be reading this and take care of yourself :)

I came back to say that folk need to allow time for themselves to get used to the situation and allow their inner strength, which we all have, to rise.

And here you are saying just that!

Great, It does take time to assimilate problems and new situations.

And that taking time is healthy and normal rather than being a mental health issue. It would be more worrying an unhealthy and unrealistic to be fine with all that is happening and have no reaction.

Allow yourself to hurt and find things tough. It is normal and natural. And allow yourself then slowly to start rebuilding, finding small pleasures

I have had to make huge adjustments in the past to living with this illness and the way it robbed me of all my ambitions, my career . everything.

And this bad time IS limited. covid is not the end of it all. A huge change for folk, yes, A loss , yes. But not the end. These things will pass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

I'll probably get banned again and to be honest it doesnt bother me in the slightest, this "moderator" beasty character doesnt allow free speech on here and bans users for the sake of it, but in fact this "moderator" actually done me a favour, i was letting this whole thing get to me and felt overwhelmed, so what i done in early December after this power mad "moderator" banned me again was take a conscious decision to stop watching the news, take off any notifications from news apps, and honestly the difference was amazing, in less than a week i felt so much better, whereas previously i was letting this constant coronavirus grimness get me down, so im just going to continue on like this and id urge others to do the same, it's all just constant doom and gloom on the news and on here, so occupy your mind and time doing other things, and avoid as much as possible anything to do with coronavirus, obviously it's not something you can totally avoid but you can as much as possible, and trust me you will feel all the better for it as well.

Fully expecting another ban here after posting this and it doesnt bother me in the slightest, i just thought id share my experiences.

All the best for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Does anyone here suffer from misaphonia? It’s actually torture and what is worse is when u have told people u live with that u suffer from it and they proposely go out of their way to make even more noise. It’s actually pure evil.

I can’t afford to live by myself and my mental health is really suffering because of it. I’ve got about 4 mental illnesses now and honestly I believe they all stem back to my living situation. I don’t get why this sick government can’t get it into their heads that a home is much more than just a roof over ur head. It’s a major mental health issue.... There’s so many days I feel like I’m going to crack cause I’m like I can’t see a way out of this....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

fin12 wrote: »
    Does anyone here suffer from misaphonia? It’s actually torture and what is worse is when u have told people u live with that u suffer from it and they proposely go out of their way to make even more noise. It’s actually pure evil.

I can’t afford to live by myself and my mental health is really suffering because of it. I’ve got about 4 mental illnesses now and honestly I believe they all stem back to my living situation. I don’t get why this sick government can’t get it into their heads that a home is much more than just a roof over ur head. It’s a major mental health issue.... There’s so many days I feel like I’m going to crack cause I’m like I can’t see a way out of this....
    I know someone with misaphonia who gets searing pain and massive anxiety when they hear coughing. When this started I told him he had known it was coming all along.

I know there are different forms of it though and an acting coach I had couldn't take sudden loud noises. They'd go into fits.

It sounds extremely tough to be living with people who don't understand and cruelly make it worse. I know it sounds mad, but maybe if you explained to them that you're not trying to be upright or unreasonable, told them about your condition and said what happens to you, they might be a bit more empathetic?

You've probably already done this, but it's worth a shot.

Some day hopefully you'll love where you live and you'll look back on this time as just a blip on the course. All the best to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm waiting on an Autism assessment which has been cancelled/rescheduled cause of Covid

I think i do suffer from this, i despise coughing/sneezing (extreme hatred of that) /loud talkers and sudden noises. Its so irritating and the only way im not overly bothered with it is when i have a few drinks in me. I refuse to take any antipsychotic medication (wont take them again due to weight gain, massive fatigue and irritability problems i had the last time) and there are none that help with this condition.

Pre covid and after covid i loved going to gigs, travelling etc and will be doing it again. After i finally get the official diagnosis i can take it from there.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'm waiting on an Autism assessment which has been cancelled/rescheduled cause of Covid

I think i do suffer from this, i despise coughing/sneezing (extreme hatred of that) /loud talkers and sudden noises. Its so irritating and the only way im not overly bothered with it is when i have a few drinks in me. I refuse to take any antipsychotic medication (wont take them again due to weight gain, massive fatigue and irritability problems i had the last time) and there are none that help with this condition.

Pre covid and after covid i loved going to gigs, travelling etc and will be doing it again. After i finally get the official diagnosis i can take it from there.

I’ve basically being using earplugs religiously and use headphones to block out the unwanted noise. I get really fed up using them but the alternative is hell. I got my ears checked as I was concerned about constantly using earplugs but the audiologist Gabe me the all clear so that’s one good thing. Basically for me a different living environment would solve a lot of my issues.

I’ve basically being using earplugs religiously and use headphones to block out the unwanted noise. I get really fed up using them but the alternative is hell. I got my ears checked as I was concerned about constantly using earplugs but the audiologist Gabe me the all clear so that’s one good thing. Basically for me a different living environment would solve a lot of my issues.

Best of luck

Yes to your last sentence.

I have similar issues with noise. Caused by severe M.E.

And yes I moved several times. With me being rural it was crowbangers often left on all night ie a gunshot noise every few seconds, and/or dogs at all hours.

Here I have utter total peace and silence. Wonderful . Can you not relocate?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yes to your last sentence.

I have similar issues with noise. Caused by severe M.E.

And yes I moved several times. With me being rural it was crowbangers often left on all night ie a gunshot noise every few seconds, and/or dogs at all hours.

Here I have utter total peace and silence. Wonderful . Can you not relocate?

Unfortunately not any time soon but I am working on it but sometimes it’s hard to keep hopeful. That sounds amazing where u are now. Outside my own living situation, I do think it’s hard to find that peace and quiet.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately not any time soon but I am working on it but sometimes it’s hard to keep hopeful. That sounds amazing where u are now. Outside my own living situation, I do think it’s hard to find that peace and quiet.[/QUOTE

Hope is all we have; hang on to that, please. I became almost nocturnal but the dog tied up in the field howled in storms in one place I rented. Fixed that! .

It is amazing here. There was one episode with a collie but that was eased.

Listening now and not a sound from outside. Maybe 4 vehicles will pass today the entire day. . when I wake in the night the silence is pure.... gold. It is more than just silence. I was so blessed to come out here. But I am old and have no family or work obligations.
    Mind you when there is a gale it is deafening.. But today..

Hang on in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

Vaccine is great news! Looking forward to see it making an impact very soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I don’t often do reviews but I’d just like to say I’m using headspace. And when covid was getting all too much I dedicated myself to using it every night at the first hint of issues with sleep. And I’ve used it for the odd moment when overwhelmed.

I’ve done over 200 sessions now and it has been worth every penny. I’m sleeping better. And just the act of turning it on now has me int the habit of calming down, relaxing and preparing for sleep. There was only two nights in the last year where it failed to get me to sleep. And to be fair one of those I was on high dose steroids!

I was never one for meditation, always felt silly. I can’t do the timed breathing ones (asthma hates them) but I’m happy to adjust. I would recommend persevering to find something that works for you.

Switching it on now for the night and I won’t wake until morning.

I don’t often do reviews but I’d just like to say I’m using headspace. And when covid was getting all too much I dedicated myself to using it every night at the first hint of issues with sleep. And I’ve used it for the odd moment when overwhelmed.

I’ve done over 200 sessions now and it has been worth every penny. I’m sleeping better. And just the act of turning it on now has me int the habit of calming down, relaxing and preparing for sleep. There was only two nights in the last year where it failed to get me to sleep. And to be fair one of those I was on high dose steroids!

I was never one for meditation, always felt silly. I can’t do the timed breathing ones (asthma hates them) but I’m happy to adjust. I would recommend persevering to find something that works for you.

Switching it on now for the night and I won’t wake until morning.

I've been meditating for years but there have been plenty of times when I lapse. Last March I upped my game again only to decrease in the Autumn. Now I'm back at it and absolutely love Headspace. The stories are my favourite. I put them on and during off. Recently I've started to use an app called Slumber. It's great as well. I'd rather pay for them because I don't get the same benefit from the non premium version. Its money well spent.

I thought it would be best to forego my weekly trip for the food shop because of the state we are in. It was a mistake. I miss the little routine I had built around going to the shop on a Saturday so I'm going to return to doing it. I haven't been outside the door since Thursday and going for walks just doesn't cut it for me. I need a bit more. Its hard. Also feeling a financial pinch this time around as Covid is impacting my work.

In saying all that I will persevere.

I thought it would be best to forego my weekly trip for the food shop because of the state we are in. It was a mistake. I miss the little routine I had built around going to the shop on a Saturday so I'm going to return to doing it. I haven't been outside the door since Thursday and going for walks just doesn't cut it for me. I need a bit more. Its hard. Also feeling a financial pinch this time around as Covid is impacting my work.

Adapting willingly is the key? Knowing why and that it is meaningful and right. For the sake of others. And allowing a fair time to adapt also. If you persevere things will fall into place. IF! Often too it gets harder just before a victory.

Old stager here as I decided on isolation a year before covid hit; I was shocked to learn that very few folk with my illness lived into old age and the major cause of death was " overwhelming infections"
    NO WAY!

I let the car go; and so I have no means of going anywhere even if I use the ferry. And I am not able to go for a walk any more so be very very thankful for that privilege. And stay with it and safe, please.

We do these things for our own safety as well as for others. Not easy but very needful. And deep down we know that this is worth fighting for.

Off to do my email shopping list....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

You're right to keep going shopping I think - go at a quiet time. It's definitely not like the first wave for me where I go shopping, in that there are no queues anymore. I think people have relaxed a little but are still aware of what's going on so it means that they just do their shopping when they normally would...maybe I'm just lucky! There might be queues elsewhere but I went shopping yesterday morning early and it was very quiet. It was nice to get out. I can see what you mean about walking not being enough. I'm still very cautious when I'm out shopping and I don't linger around the aisles or anything but it's still nice to do something other than walking! I'm working from home too so at home all the time.

Anyone else feel this has been the worst lockdown so far . Think it's the time of year, the weather with the usual Jan blues but turned up a notch

The negativity around in the media is out of control even to the point where the future doesn't look bright at all. We were all told the vaccine would be our saviour out of this lockdown hell hole but not looking that way

The goalposts keep getting moved. I for one am not able for another year of in and out lockdown and i'm definitely not alone

Anyone else feel this has been the worst lockdown so far . Think it's the time of year, the weather with the usual Jan blues but turned up a notch

The negativity around in the media is out of control even to the point where the future doesn't look bright at all. We were all told the vaccine would be our saviour out of this lockdown hell hole but not looking that way

The goalposts keep getting moved. I for one am not able for another year of in and out lockdown and i'm definitely not alone

Yes I agree this is worst than last year cause there’s no end in sight with this current lockdown.i think it’s because a year is nearly passed with us having to live like this, I just think it’s too much at this stage to keep living like this. I’m becoming worn out. Also when ur living with other people, and everyone is around most of the time , it can feel like a ticking time bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭uli84

Yes I agree this is worst than last year cause there’s no end in sight with this current lockdown.i think it’s because a year is nearly passed with us having to live like this, I just think it’s too much at this stage to keep living like this. I’m becoming worn out. Also when ur living with other people, and everyone is around most of the time , it can feel like a ticking time bomb.

Absolutely, feeling same, sick of it

• Advertisement

Why do think the vaccines won't get us out of this? I have been struggling with similar thoughts.

I'll give you a bit of an insight in to how it goes for me:
    Read some posts on here:
    "why are people saying it will be 2023 before clubs reopen? Do they know something I don't"
    "Why are people calling for zero Covid if we have vaccines"

Listen to the news:
    "Why aren't the Government making more positive noise because we have vaccines now"
    "Why is hospitality likely closed until May if the top groupings have been vaccinated"

My head starts to swirl and I feel a bit panicked so I talk to people I trust and I ask them what they think. They say that it comes down to not knowing. That those who think we are like this until 2023, those who want to pursue zero covid, and even the Government simply don't know.

The vaccines are with us now and the plan is to have 70% vaccinated by September but there is still no certainty. I think that's where the other points of view comes from. Now there a few who seem to....not enjoy but kind of feed off the negativity. There is no balance with their posts and they will rarely if ever post anything positive. It may be a coping mechanisms of course.

I'm a bit like that with the end date for this lockdown. April is my thinking because if I look to next month or March I feel I will be very very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Why do think the vaccines won't get us out of this? I have been struggling with similar thoughts.

I'll give you a bit of an insight in to how it goes for me:
    Read some posts on here:
    "why are people saying it will be 2023 before clubs reopen? Do they know something I don't"
    "Why are people calling for zero Covid if we have vaccines"

Listen to the news:
    "Why aren't the Government making more positive noise because we have vaccines now"
    "Why is hospitality likely closed until May if the top groupings have been vaccinated"

My head starts to swirl and I feel a bit panicked so I talk to people I trust and I ask them what they think. They say that it comes down to not knowing. That those who think we are like this until 2023, those who want to pursue zero covid, and even the Government simply don't know.

The vaccines are with us now and the plan is to have 70% vaccinated by September but there is still no certainty. I think that's where the other points of view comes from. Now there a few who seem to....not enjoy but kind of feed off the negativity. There is no balance with their posts and they will rarely if ever post anything positive. It may be a coping mechanisms of course.

I'm a bit like that with the end date for this lockdown. April is my thinking because if I look to next month or March I feel I will be very very disappointed.

The early data coming out of Israel looks promising I think it will largely be under control with widespread vaccination but this takes time. Covid will still be around but the future will focus on hospital numbers and case numbers will probably not be released to the mainstream. This lockdown is very difficult because we know now what will happen if we open up again . I too am finding it tough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

This one is indeed absolutely rubbish, with the weather and the sense of fatigue following 10 months of this. With the vaccines being rolled out, there's no way that it's not going to get better. Science has done incredible work. It'll be brighter soon enough, in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

It's the negativity everywhere that's really getting to me. Log on here and you get post after post where worst case scenario is presented as fact. And that's in almost every thread. Read the papers and it's the same. TV, radio, same. Man in the street, same. I have a hysterical cousin who has just posted that schools won't open until 25th March, we're both teachers. I texted back that I think that's OTT, we'll get back sooner. Then he texts that the LC and JC are deffo down the tubes. I text back that no I don't agree. So then he sends a link about how some professor thinks the vaccine won't work on the SA variant. Cue me turning off my phone.

It's non stop negativity and hysteria and that's feeding a big part of the anxiety and mental health issues. I think we all need to step back and tune into a little bit optimism or even some light relief and tune out the constant negativity. A media hiatus for a few days might be a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So true. I’m going to make a conscious effort to only share funny stuff this week. I’ve already cut down on social media time, boards is one of the few areas I’m still on. And again I try (and often fail) to stick to the more rational threads. The Christmas forum helps!

I have pulled out my jigsaw tray and a jigsaw which is on my do list for some quiet time this weekend

Woke up in a very somber frustrating mood today

A lot of really negative stuff yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭ax530

I agree and people are angrier this time not the feeling of we all in this together. As seems to be exceptions now for more people and those who shout loudest get what they want.
    Now that vaccine is here no positive stories about it.
    We are suffering way too much due to a badly functioning health system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

We better get a summer with most restrictions lifted.

Outdoor gatherings should be fine like last summer when we were at 50 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

agree about the negativity in the media , what if we had no vaccine as looked the case last October !
    Yet every day a new fear inducing twist - people struggling mentally don't seam to count - What about some positivity about the figures dropping the past week - The media should tell the truth , but not over terrify an already over -anxious depressed poplulation of things that MIGHT happen , but probably wont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

thebaz wrote: »
    agree about the negativity in the media , what if we had no vaccine as looked the case last October !
    Yet every day a new fear inducing twist - people struggling mentally don't seam to count - What about some positivity about the figures dropping the past week - The media should tell the truth , but not over terrify an already over -anxious depressed poplulation of things that MIGHT happen , but probably wont.

One bit stood out for me last week . It genuinely took the biscuit

Caitriona Perry was interviewing Ronan Glynn about the pressure on hospitals
    He was trying to reassure people that regardless of the pressure people would be looked after and shouldn’t panic
    He knew that there were sick people at home and people looking after sick people who needed not to panic
    Caitriona Perry kept mentioning almost full ICU’s and busy ward and actually asked if it was now at crisis and no room for more patients
    Ronan Glynn never lost sight of the need to not panic sick people but she pushed and pushed and pushed him to say we were going to have to turn people away almost

Advertisement