Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,435 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I may be on my own here with this, but, I half hope to have a quiet and peaceful Christmas with no family visitors or busybodies at the door. Endless movies and endless books to keep me going and I am happy out.

Your not alone with that. Lot's of people are delighted to not have visitors calling but they can't exactly say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭uli84

Is there any free mental health support for those whose mental health deteriorated due to covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

uli84 wrote: »
    Is there any free mental health support for those whose mental health deteriorated due to covid?

I’ve been trying to find this out myself and have not found any? The only things I’ve been able to source are the texting service or emailing services, further than that it seems to me u have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭lucalux

There's a list here, and it's fairly comprehensive but I'd agree that counselling sessions are hard to access these days.
    https://www2.hse.ie/services/mental-health-supports-and-services-during-coronavirus/

HSE offers the National Counselling Service, which might suit some people here:

The HSE National Counselling Service (NCS) is a professional, confidential counselling and psychotherapy service available free of charge in all regions of the country.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/mental-health-services/national-counselling-service/

"Established in September 2000, the HSE NCS employs over 70 Counsellor/Therapists who are highly qualified and experienced in working with developmental trauma(difficult childhood). People can refer themselves directly by calling a freephone number. Healthcare professionals can also refer clients. "

Now, it says it deals with developmental trauma and abuse, but I can't find anything that says this is the only thing they deal with. If you click that link there are freephone numbers to contact for each HSE area. I can only say to ring and ask if they can help.

https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/together/

This site consists of resources to help during Covid, and has county by county lists, not sure how up to date it is as it was launched in April I think, but maybe in your county you might find things to help with dealing with the effects of Covid specifically?

https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/healthwellbeing/about-us/free-online-stress-control-classes.html
    Stress Control is a HSE run 6 week class for stress, based on CBT skills, that would normally be run in the community
    This has been offered online, and the last one ran in September.

There will likely be more, and if you register online at
    https://stresscontrol.ie/ you will also see there are resources there to use in the meantime.
    The classes were shown on Youtube, and no registration or fee is required. I did some of them in May I think it was, and they're good I thought.

Here is a link to a recovery based ARIES project in Limerick, a piece on applying mental health recovery principles during the COVID 19 restrictions
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/mental-health-services/dsc/chime-recovery-covid-19.pdf

I know I haven't shared straight up counselling sessions per sé, but as with anything, if you can ask your GP, or if you are in the Mental Health Services already, keep asking what is available, and take up anything you think might help. They are catching up with phone and video sessions in some areas, but like anything this is a slow process at times.

In the meantime, calling the Samaritans is a great resource to have, 24/7. They're busy at times, but when you get through, having a chat, or a venting session about everything, or even having a rant at not being able to access services could be helpful these days!
    There are some lovely people there, and it can take a little of the pressure off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I may be on my own here with this, but, I half hope to have a quiet and peaceful Christmas with no family visitors or busybodies at the door. Endless movies and endless books to keep me going and I am happy out.

Yes you're absolutely spot on here, not that we ever had a hectic Christmas as such but these past seven months since Covid first started have brought about a re-evaluation of life and the rat race we were in with work particularly. We've both been working from home these past few months and it's by far the best thing that has ever happened us, no stress, no timelines, no commute. A much more laid back pace of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭uli84

Ahh another sleepless night. thanks NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

uli84 wrote:
    Ahh another sleepless night. thanks NPHET

What's nphet causing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Well, gyms are most definitely closing. Disaster for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, gyms are most definitely closing. Disaster for me.
    Break out the hyperactive YouTube videos!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What's nphet causing?
    A sense of never-ever-ending restrictions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

is_that_so wrote: »
    Break out the hyperactive YouTube videos!

I’m investing in an gazebo for the garden to the weights into. There isn’t an inch of space in the house or in the shed (renting).

A sense of never-ever-ending restrictions!

thought is was the virus myself

thought is was the virus myself
    It is but people coping with this have their own perceptions. Much as I've enjoyed the NHPET/DoH briefings, they don't really serve an useful purpose anymore and it's time for them to leave the stage and do their work quietly communicating via press releases or letters.

It is but people coping with this have their own perceptions. Much as I've enjoyed the NHPET/DoH briefings, they don't really serve an useful purpose anymore and it's time for them to leave the stage and do their work quietly communicating via press releases.

so effectively silencing the medical professionals in communicating their findings and knowledge to the general public?

so effectively silencing the medical professionals in communicating their findings and knowledge to the general public?
    They communicate every day, we now know their one and only focus is virus transmission. The rest is just data we can all read and responsibility for measures lies with the government anyway.

They communicate every day, we now know their one and only focus is virus transmission. The rest is just data we can all read and responsibility for measures lies with the government anyway.

press conferences are very informative, and are critical in extremely dynamic situations such as now, that have extreme importance to public well being, not all have the abilities to truly understand all of this information alone, and require such professionals to communicate this. yes the government's job is for overall manage the situation. if this approach does not work for you, just stop watching the press conferences

press conferences are very informative, and are critical in extremely dynamic situations such as now, that have extreme importance to public well being, not all have the abilities to truly understand all of this information alone, and require such professionals to communicate this. yes the government's job is for overall manage the situation. if this approach does not work for you, just stop watching the press conferences
    Not that much anymore for me, I find the daily data informs me very well. NPHET's words are reported everywhere along with their comments so they can't be avoided, which is where I believe that poster was coming from. As with all of this, it's all about perceptions, none of which are right or wrong, just your own.

Not that much anymore for me, I find the daily data informs me very well. NPHET's words are reported everywhere along with their comments so they can't be avoided. As with all of this, it's all about perceptions, none of which are right or wrong, just your own.

i disagree, some, such as myself, still find the daily press conferences very informative, but i actually dont watch much of them. some, possibly older generations, including myself, would still prefer this older style of communication. yes its difficult to stop all communication, but it is possible, im regularly uncontactable, it helps with communication overload, thus reducing anxiety levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Finding it hard at the moment. Work is difficult at the moment and there’s nothing to break the monotony. My world has shrunk to work and home.

Any suggestions how to stay on top of things when you don’t have anything meaningful or fun to look forward to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,527 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

eviltwin wrote: »
    Finding it hard at the moment. Work is difficult at the moment and there’s nothing to break the monotony. My world has shrunk to work and home.

Any suggestions how to stay on top of things when you don’t have anything meaningful or fun to look forward to?

Remind yourself that there have been dark days in the past, and they too gave ways to days filled with optimism and positive experiences.

Whether as a consequence of mental health, grief, broken hearts or any other of the frequent life events which we experience, most of us have had periods where we felt we would never smile again. But we did. This is similar, but it too will pass.

Another thing to consider is that before, you may have previously felt like life was a rush and there was never time to stop and relax. If so, remind yourself that at that time, you might have loved to have been able to put the brakes on. Now, the brakes are on, try to see it as a time to take a breath and relax so as to be ready for when things pick up again. It will happen.

One thing you could do is to maybe book a night or 2 in your favourite hotel or B&B, one with a cancellation policy, but, book it with the optimism that you are going to go there and enjoy it and have that to look forward to. If you need to delay going there, push the reservation out a few weeks or months and then look forward to that new date.

In terms of breaking the monotony, could you have a movie night with a friend or sibling where you both watch a movie simultaneously on netflix or similar at the same time while on zoom or similar while having a drink and a takeaway.

Might be of use to some people here:
    https://mymind.org/covid-19-project

MyMind is very aware that the Covid-19 pandemic has had a devastating effect on many individuals and families, and there has been increased pressure on people’s ability to cope with the additional challenges posed by the virus. From bereavement and job lossesto the fear and anxiety caused by the need to socially distance, and trying to deal with loneliness and isolation, many people are finding it hard to cope at the moment.

Getting help and staying connected are very important factors in maintaining good mental health. Talking to a qualified professional is a proven and effective way of dealing with problems of stress or anxiety.

MyMind is now delivering FREE online counselling appointments for people all over Ireland. If you have been directly affected by Covid-19, you may be eligible. The main mental health issues include issues arising from unemployment, bereavement, social isolation/cocooning, illness, stress, depression, anxiety, addiction, or domestic violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

lucalux wrote: »
    Might be of use to some people here:
    https://mymind.org/covid-19-project

MyMind is very aware that the Covid-19 pandemic has had a devastating effect on many individuals and families, and there has been increased pressure on people’s ability to cope with the additional challenges posed by the virus. From bereavement and job lossesto the fear and anxiety caused by the need to socially distance, and trying to deal with loneliness and isolation, many people are finding it hard to cope at the moment.

Getting help and staying connected are very important factors in maintaining good mental health. Talking to a qualified professional is a proven and effective way of dealing with problems of stress or anxiety.

MyMind is now delivering FREE online counselling appointments for people all over Ireland. If you have been directly affected by Covid-19, you may be eligible. The main mental health issues include issues arising from unemployment, bereavement, social isolation/cocooning, illness, stress, depression, anxiety, addiction, or domestic violence.

Wow I’m excluded from their categories, now I feel even worse than before. Why do that?

Multipass wrote: »
    Wow I’m excluded from their categories, now I feel even worse than before. Why do that?

I'm sorry, that must be upsetting.
    I think it's better than there being nothing offered. A lot of people will fall into those categories, and I'm glad for them

Multipass wrote: »

I know that My Mind offer sessions at €20 for people who are unemployed or in receipt of disability allowance. Would that be an option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I know that My Mind offer sessions at €20 for people who are unemployed or in receipt of disability allowance. Would that be an option for you?

Thanks, yes it might be at some point in the future. Not right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Just back from my last game of 5 a side, was great craic. Feel great now. Tomorrow reality will set in. FFS.

I wish I had words of support and comfort for you all but I can't find any. It all feels so oppressive. Each time I think of life continuing in this way my stomach turns to mush and I get an ache in my chest. I'm reading everything about Covid desperate for something positive to appear. A life in and out of lockdown is no life at all for me. This I know is grief and eventually I will reach acceptance. Really just hope I don't have to. I was firmly in the camp of living alongside Covid but the Government doesn't seem to think that's possible so I hope for a vaccine.

Other people I encounter don't seem to be struggling the way I am. I guess that's why I'm posting here. It helps to feel less like I'm weak and with no resilience when I know others are going through similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I wish I had words of support and comfort for you all but I can't find any. It all feels so oppressive. Each time I think of life continuing in this way my stomach turns to mush and I get an ache in my chest. I'm reading everything about Covid desperate for something positive to appear. A life in and out of lockdown is no life at all for me. This I know is grief and eventually I will reach acceptance. Really just hope I don't have to. I was firmly in the camp of living alongside Covid but the Government doesn't seem to think that's possible so I hope for a vaccine.

Other people I encounter don't seem to be struggling the way I am. I guess that's why I'm posting here. It helps to feel less like I'm weak and with no resilience when I know others are going through similar.

Objectively I’m not that badly affected by Covid i.e. neither health wise nor financially & I don’t live alone. It has resulted in my WFH which I hate & a maternity leave with very little social interaction. I feel a bit down in the dumps. I know that their are people who would cope fine in my position. That makes me feel worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,925 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Objectively I’m not that badly affected by Covid i.e. neither health wise nor financially & I don’t live alone. It has resulted in my WFH which I hate & a maternity leave with very little social interaction. I feel a bit down in the dumps. I know that their are people who would cope fine in my position. That makes me feel worse!

Give yourself a break , that 's a lot for anyone to be getting on with it never mind in a pandemic and lock down .
    The to get some time for yourself everyday to just chill and no Covid .
    And everyday is a new day , it will get better .

Advertisement