Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Anon9876

anplaya27 wrote: »
    Deaf ISL user here.

Extremely hard.

Cannot meet other Deaf and masks are the bane of my life communication with hearing people is basically non existent. Lip reading is extremely hard anyway as weve never heard a spoken language.

Deaf people are used to isolation anyway. But saying that, we are more likely to suffer from mental health issues and to take our own lives than hearing people.

Yet, there are currently no supports re mental health in Ireland for Deaf adults or children. Go figure.

We persevere, just like weve always had to.

Our language, once banned by the church and state, is now recognised as a native and official language of Irelsnd.

Gosh this must be extra hard for you. I'm always here for a PM if you need to chat. Maybe we can all help each other out in this horrible time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Anon9876 wrote: »
    I've gone anon for this one.
    I have to admit I am struggling terribly. I am on my own all the time. I haven't seen any friends, family in 2 months and broke up with my partner of 3 years over Christmas.
    I have lost all my work and I'm on my own all day at home. I don't have a social bubble partner either - all my friends already have one. I'm finding it impossible not to drink early and it's like Groundhog Day every day. The whole above situ has made me very depressed, I'm not eating properly and thats just making things worse plus I've lost interest in everything. All people say to me is "Go for a walk". I was finding some days were better than others but now everything is just the same. It feels like an impossible rut to get out of. :(

Just getting it out on 'paper'.

jaysus sorry to hear mate thats particulary rough, have you considered cbd oil the proper stuff which will help immensely with anxiety, i take it myself and it really does work.

try and keep yourself occupied and go jogging,etc.

wish you the best mate, fu$k this government and nphet, constant doom and gloom and draconian lock downs will which will cause far more long damage than covid ever will

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

anplaya27 wrote: »
    Deaf ISL user here.

Extremely hard.

Cannot meet other Deaf and masks are the bane of my life communication with hearing people is basically non existent. Lip reading is extremely hard anyway as weve never heard a spoken language.

Deaf people are used to isolation anyway. But saying that, research shows are 4 times likely to suffer from mental health issues and 2 times more likely to take our own lives than hearing people.

Yet, despite this, there are currently no supports re mental health in Ireland for Deaf adults or children. Go figure.

Our language, once banned by the church and state, is now recognised as a native and official language of Ireland.

Somehow , we persevere, just like weve always had to.

Wow, this post stopped me in my tracks. Really sorry to hear what you are going through. There is always somebody worse off :( Keep persevering anplaya127. That's all I can say.

jaysus sorry to hear mate thats particulary rough, have you considered cbd oil the proper stuff which will help immensely with anxiety, i take it myself and it really does work.

try and keep yourself occupied and go jogging,etc.

wish you the best mate, fu$k this government and nphet, constant doom and gloom and draconian lock downs will which will cause far more long damage than covid ever will

Thanks re. CBD tip. I will order some. I am finding my anxiety is a lot higher now. I get anxious even thinking of going out to the shops. I order in most of the time and it's so much more expensive - I am going to have to start forcing myself to get out everyday.

I don't think a lot of people who have kids and partners understand how hard this is totally on your own.

leahyl wrote: »
    Could you not form a bubble with some family members or are they too far away?

Thanks for your kind reply.
    No I have no family near me. My mates all have kids and partners and one or two text me every few days saying "How was your day?" Its appreciated but half the time I don't want to respond as I don't want to tell the truth. They all know I am fully on my own but I hate asking people to help me out. People have their own issues to be dealing with. But even a phonecall out of the blue would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks for your kind reply.
    No I have no family near me. My mates all have kids and partners and one or two text me every few days saying "How was your day?" Its appreciated but half the time I don't want to respond as I don't want to tell the truth. They all know I am fully on my own but I hate asking people to help me out. People have their own issues to be dealing with. But even a phonecall out of the blue would be nice.

Ah God, that's tough. Would you ring some of your family? Or even text one of your friends and ask would they have time for a chat? Sometimes you have to reach out and you sound like you really need to chat with someone. Could you move back home for the next few weeks until the worst of all this blows over? Stay with a sibling or parents? I think if you have nobody and are finding it really hard on your mental health, then it should be acceptable for you to travel to somewhere where you are not alone. It's not like you'd be seeing lots of people, just family members. I'm sorry, I'm at a loss as to what to suggest. There are some lovely people on this thread though and we are all going through stuff, so keep posting on here anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://extra.ie/2021/01/26/news/real-life/mother-confesses-killing-10-year-old-son

This is a tragic story but have no sympathy for the mother who killed her own son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://extra.ie/2021/01/26/news/real-life/mother-confesses-killing-10-year-old-son

This is a tragic story but have no sympathy for the mother who killed her own son.

Mental illness is illness, whether you have sympathy or not.

Multipass wrote: »
    Mental illness is illness, whether you have sympathy or not.

I agree. Any human who does that must be in an incredibly dark, sad and lonely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Today's briefing was not great news for some people including myself. Half of 2021 is gone now and it will be far from normal going into 2022

Remain strong people this will be over soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think even some light at the end of the tunnel even if a little faint would be helpful. I’m not even looking for the old normal. Just someone even slightly Normal.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think even some light at the end of the tunnel even if a little faint would be helpful. I’m not even looking for the old normal. Just someone even slightly Normal.

There is sadly going to be no light at the end of the tunnel until they vaccinate the population. Frankly I can't understand how it's going to take almost a year to vaccinate 4.5 mil people. Surely chemists can be trained. I'd inject myself if needs be. Diabetics do it every day. I understand the issue with the temp of the main vaccine but 9 months to protect such a small population is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is sadly going to be no light at the end of the tunnel until they vaccinate the population. Frankly I can't understand how it's going to take almost a year to vaccinate 4.5 mil people. Surely chemists can be trained. I'd inject myself if needs be. Diabetics do it every day. I understand the issue with the temp of the main vaccine but 9 months to protect such a small population is insane.
    It's the response they watch out for so you can't just jam it into your arm. As for the timetable it is based on the vaccines that are available and the forecasting is cautious. It's grim now at the end of January and may still be at the end of February but once stocks begin to flow it'll look a whole lot better. Plus the days will be longer!

Thanks re. CBD tip. I will order some. I am finding my anxiety is a lot higher now. I get anxious even thinking of going out to the shops. I order in most of the time and it's so much more expensive - I am going to have to start forcing myself to get out everyday.

I don't think a lot of people who have kids and partners understand how hard this is totally on your own.

if you need recommendeations on cbd let me know as ive been using it quite sometime so know a good bit about it, id aboid prescription pills at all costs and use cbd its far better overall.

good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I find at night very hard tbh, I usually think back to what life was like before Covid. Certain things remind of it too. Has been happening alot recently Thought I would share. Not sure if anymore are feeling similar. Certainly wont take things for granted when this pandemic ends

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sunset in Dublin today will be 17:01 (a little later further west in the country).
    First time since October 27th that it's been after 5pm.

We are gradually inching towards long evenings, every day is a few minutes more.
    Minor, but something that might help people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm generally good but the last few days has seen a lot of relatively bad news that is gnawing at me - extension of the lock-down which I expected. But then we have various issues with the supply and roll-out of vaccinations. I also have some frustrations at the government regarding travel in and out of the country - not making any hard decisions and apparently Martin's trip to Washington for St. Patrick's Day is still on. I believe our relationship with the US to be extremely important but surely a video call would do for the time we're in.

Sorry for the rant but I need to let it out. Think I'm going to make some time for myself later today as work isn't too busy - escape and play some video games for half an hour or so.

It's possible I had higher expectations for 2021 than I should have had, the beginning of the end of Covid I was saying. Now it probably still is but we're hitting a few bumps.

I'm generally good but the last few days has seen a lot of relatively bad news that is gnawing at me - extension of the lock-down which I expected. But then we have various issues with the supply and roll-out of vaccinations. I also have some frustrations at the government regarding travel in and out of the country - not making any hard decisions and apparently Martin's trip to Washington for St. Patrick's Day is still on. I believe our relationship with the US to be extremely important but surely a video call would do for the time we're in.

Sorry for the rant but I need to let it out. Think I'm going to make some time for myself later today as work isn't too busy - escape and play some video games for half an hour or so.

It's possible I had higher expectations for 2021 than I should have had, the beginning of the end of Covid I was saying. Now it probably still is but we're hitting a few bumps.

the **** will hit the fan if he goes to USA on Paddys day, people wont be staying withoin 5km or theor opwn county and will be taking flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

This might sound a bit totalitarian but I’d be all for a national media ban on all COVID related discussions and articles unless they are 100% fact based, e.g: number of cases today, the government deciding to move to a new level officially etc.

Genuinely have begun to loathe Varadkar, he is loving this situation , sick of him going on radio and tv every chance he gets saying what MIGHT happen. Said yesterday we won’t be in level 3 in March, why say that and panic people? Surely we could be if cases dramatically fell? He’s done this loads of times during the pandemic, peddling drama and uncertainty, saying this could happen or maybe that could happen etc, and I’m so sick of it.

It’s not just him though. Sat down hoping to relax on my lunch break just now and first thing I see is a thought piece from RTÉ about the merits of pursuing a zero covid strategy, full of maybes and what ifs and useless comparisons. Who wants to read this???

Give me the facts and only the current, real hard facts.

The major detractor to my mental health since all this has begun has been the deliberate uncertainty pushed by mainstream media. Not the rumours caused by the general public or the conspiracy theories online, but literally Varadkar and state sponsored tv and their unbridled delight in telling us all what might/could/maybe potentially happen. Please just shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I have been thinking of Patrick Kavanagh's beautiful line "Through a chink too wide there comes no wonder." We have all had to endure a sort of penance through Covid, but when it's all over there will be a freshness to the world that will be very uplifting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

polesheep wrote: »
    I have been thinking of Patrick Kavanagh's beautiful line "Through a chink too wide there comes no wonder." We have all had to endure a sort of penance through Covid, but when it's all over there will be a freshness to the world that will be very uplifting.

Yes it is a beautiful line but the reality is that there is many an old person and terminally ill person that haven't the luxury of waiting. There probably won't be a next year for them. So the prospect of deferred gratification, even for the young and healthy, doesn't necessarily console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

acequion wrote: »
    Yes it is a beautiful line but the reality is that there is many an old person and terminally ill person that haven't the luxury of waiting. There probably won't be a next year for them. So the prospect of deferred gratification, even for the young and healthy, doesn't necessarily console.

When we emerge from this it will be all about the living, not the dead. I wasn't supporting a penance btw😉

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluepurple

the **** will hit the fan if he goes to USA on Paddys day, people wont be staying withoin 5km or theor opwn county and will be taking flights.

I’ll be going to another county to see my partner who I haven’t seen since the start of December. If Martin can go to America no problem during this then I’ll be leaving my county.

Goose76 wrote: »
    This might sound a bit totalitarian but I’d be all for a national media ban on all COVID related discussions and articles unless they are 100% fact based, e.g: number of cases today, the government deciding to move to a new level officially etc.

Genuinely have begun to loathe Varadkar, he is loving this situation , sick of him going on radio and tv every chance he gets saying what MIGHT happen. Said yesterday we won’t be in level 3 in March, why say that and panic people? Surely we could be if cases dramatically fell? He’s done this loads of times during the pandemic, peddling drama and uncertainty, saying this could happen or maybe that could happen etc, and I’m so sick of it.

It’s not just him though. Sat down hoping to relax on my lunch break just now and first thing I see is a thought piece from RTÉ about the merits of pursuing a zero covid strategy, full of maybes and what ifs and useless comparisons. Who wants to read this???

Give me the facts and only the current, real hard facts.

The major detractor to my mental health since all this has begun has been the deliberate uncertainty pushed by mainstream media. Not the rumours caused by the general public or the conspiracy theories online, but literally Varadkar and state sponsored tv and their unbridled delight in telling us all what might/could/maybe potentially happen. Please just shut up.

This 1000% I tend to suffer from anxiety but it's low level and I'm fairly good at managing it. But one thing which drives it off the Richter scale is the constant speculation about the future, even the distant future. And the speculation is always apocalyptic. It's never even remotely hopeful. Twice lately there were Covid related headlines that affect me personally, but which were spun into dizzying levels of hysteria by the media and by our utterly useless Govt. Cue days of agonising anxiety and sleepless nights for me. This horrendous situation is traumatic for everyone in different ways. It's right up there with the big stressful events in life like death, divorce etc as our sense of control over our lives has been shattered. And the advice for such traumas is to take life day by day. Which is what I'm trying very hard to do but every few days there is another storm ratcheted up to hysteria levels by the media and you just can't avoid it.

So I completely agree. Just the facts please. And just today's facts as I'll deal with tomorrow's tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

wadacrack wrote: »
    I find at night very hard tbh, I usually think back to what life was like before Covid. Certain things remind of it too. Has been happening alot recently Thought I would share. Not sure if anymore are feeling similar. Certainly wont take things for granted when this pandemic ends

Yep same. Work is busy during the day, find it helps.
    Little options in the evening, TV then bed. Feels just like an exsistance
    Keeping hopeful for March, brighter evenings and possibly inter county travel.
    Also John Creedon on RTE radio is pretty good in the evenings if you’re into eclectic mix of music.
    Keep the head up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

Premiership is keeping me going. Thank feck its not cancelled dont know what id do if it was.

Its the same routine, wake up, work from home, cook dinner, bed, rinse and repeat.

This 1000% I tend to suffer from anxiety but it's low level and I'm fairly good at managing it. But one thing which drives it off the Richter scale is the constant speculation about the future, even the distant future. And the speculation is always apocalyptic. It's never even remotely hopeful. Twice lately there were Covid related headlines that affect me personally, but which were spun into dizzying levels of hysteria by the media and by our utterly useless Govt. Cue days of agonising anxiety and sleepless nights for me. This horrendous situation is traumatic for everyone in different ways. It's right up there with the big stressful events in life like death, divorce etc as our sense of control over our lives has been shattered. And the advice for such traumas is to take life day by day. Which is what I'm trying very hard to do but every few days there is another storm ratcheted up to hysteria levels by the media and you just can't avoid it.

So I completely agree. Just the facts please. And just today's facts as I'll deal with tomorrow's tomorrow.

I could have written this myself. I posted earlier in this thread how back at the start of the pandemic I just had this low level subconscious anxiety all the time because of all the uncertainty, even though aspects of lockdown did - and still do - benefit me. It’s so unsettling and if the government truly cared, I’d like to think they’d take more of a responsible approach in their dealings with the media and the knock on impact their utterings have on the mental health of the public.

Sometimes you can only just laugh though. I’m meant to be getting married in March - small ceremony but even our small numbers are too high for level 5. The concept of people asking me “when’s the wedding date” and me having to respond saying “well either March or July, or maybe even after that” is agonising but also breaks a smile sometimes. Not sure there’s been more of a ridiculous time in modern history - having your wedding fully booked and planned for everything except the date :D

if you need recommendeations on cbd let me know as ive been using it quite sometime so know a good bit about it, id aboid prescription pills at all costs and use cbd its far better overall.

good luck :)

Hi DessieJames, could I ask about this cbd please? I've never heard of it. What is it and where can it be got?

Struggling a bit with anxiety issues during these really tough days and am interested in anything non chemical that might help. Thanks a lot!

Hi DessieJames, could I ask about this cbd please? I've never heard of it. What is it and where can it be got?

Struggling a bit with anxiety issues during these really tough days and am interested in anything non chemical that might help. Thanks a lot!

CBD coffee is great too.

• Advertisement

Goose76 wrote: »
    CBD coffee is great too.

Thanks Goose76. But I've never heard of CBD. What is it?

Advertisement