Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I understand where your coming from another thing to bear in mind is most of the people I know who are over 70 don’t use the internet. I live the in a rural area and they simply never got into computers,etc. I would even include people over 50 in this bracket.

Nearly 80 here and was well over 50 when I first had a computer. Many of my peer group agewise are also computer literate .And I am far from alone in that!

And I am very deep rural; I live on a small offshore island. Been alone for more years than I wasn't alone. Adapt. Little by little

Even with no internet, we can all help folk who are alone. Be a good neighbour, in small ways. Call in occasionally; chat at the door or through a window, Take a bunch of flowers!

Where I live there is an excellent Community Volunteer Scheme; they know us all re age and situation and will deal with eg shopping. A wonderful response.

it is up to us. We cannot change this situation; we can learn to live with it and cope. Nothing that is being ruled is personal. If you want to blame, blame covid. And those who have driven the country to more restrictions by flouting the rules laid down to protect folk.

The new alcohol ruling is because of the house parties.

Just take it a day at a time?

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Takes forever but you get there.

One day at a time. That is so for all of us. Many here have lost loved ones to Covid as we have. And we cannot travel to be with family either. Hard but that is how it is ..

Know you are safe if you endure this.

And that is what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Graces7 wrote: »
    it is up to us. We cannot change this situation; we can learn to live with it and cope. Nothing that is being ruled is personal. If you want to blame, blame covid. And those who have driven the country to more restrictions by flouting the rules laid down to protect folk.

That is it in a nutshell Grace, we cannot change the situation, I know for me and alot of my peers and work colleagues the change to working from home has been the biggest benefit of the whole situation, a much calmer way of life, more time to spend with loved ones, and a general slowing down in the pace of life, more time to do the simple things that bring great pleasure like going for long walks, having more time to prepare lovely homemade meals, catching up on reading all those books that we never seemed to have time for before, life is good in spite of all that is going on in our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's world mental health day, all talk and take care

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭dockysher

Happy world mental health day everyone, I wish everyone happiness in their futures and remember to always talk, there's always help out there and people/friends to listen. Anyone that needs to talk can pm me any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Skippyme

People often find life hard but if someone is condemned or looked down on, or if they get repetitive little remarks or immediately cut down to size over certain innocent aspects of themselves or their behaviour ... ? The point is men may find some other guys chipping away at them making things worse before they even attempt to speak out, and then to a less than eager ear that doesn't get it. They may be given some regimented instructions or choices - rather than support they might end up with sort yourself out with an obvious WTF by the macho dude to end

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058042337

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

My husband has a history of anxiety and depression. He's WFH the past few months, and will be for the foreseeable too. I was an SAHM for the past few years. I went back to work a few months ago and since the start of September I have had to return to my office. My employer will not allow me to WFH. My husband is dropping the kids to school, collecting them and looking after them in the afternoons whilst trying to work too. We don't feel comfortable putting them in after school care, we don't want them mingling with more people unnecessarily. However, it is now affecting his mental health. He feels extremely stressed and anxious. Our original plan for when I returned to work was that they'd go to an after school, but we don't like that option right now with Covid. We feel very stuck. I don't want my husband to fall into a black hole again but we also don't know what other options we have for the kids. We both feel very torn.

My husband has a history of anxiety and depression. He's WFH the past few months, and will be for the foreseeable too. I was an SAHM for the past few years. I went back to work a few months ago and since the start of September I have had to return to my office. My employer will not allow me to WFH. My husband is dropping the kids to school, collecting them and looking after them in the afternoons whilst trying to work too. We don't feel comfortable putting them in after school care, we don't want them mingling with more people unnecessarily. However, it is now affecting his mental health. He feels extremely stressed and anxious. Our original plan for when I returned to work was that they'd go to an after school, but we don't like that option right now with Covid. We feel very stuck. I don't want my husband to fall into a black hole again but we also don't know what other options we have for the kids. We both feel very torn.

You are more than coping and doing so very very well! (((HUGS)))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm so down how this year went and no end in sight. I'm not the only one though. I got angry at someone in a shop today, they had a face mask on and they took it off to sneeze. They sneezed into their elbow but what was so wrong with keeping the face mask on and sneezing into the elbow, you know an extra layer of protection.

I'm working and talked to management about people wearing their face masks wrong, like under their nose. Management gave us a talk and there was a positive case in the company and it went ignored, people are continuing to wear their face masks wrong.

I have huge anxiety around covid, and with increasing cases, all this behaviour is not helping.

Why can't we all look out for each other and do what's right? I'm fed up with the selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If we go to level 4 and the gyms close again I’ll go bonkers. It’s the only thing keeping me sane. I’m an “essential worker” deemed by my workplace and I work upwards of 60 hours a week. Dark when I go to work and dark when I go home. The gym is my only outlet now. No going to the pub for a pint even. If they close I’ll have lost all hope in where we are going with this.

If we go to level 4 and the gyms close again I’ll go bonkers. It’s the only thing keeping me sane. I’m an “essential worker” deemed by my workplace and I work upwards of 60 hours a week. Dark when I go to work and dark when I go home. The gym is my only outlet now. No going to the pub for a pint even. If they close I’ll have lost all hope in where we are going with this.

I'm deemed an "essential" worker too. It's complete bull though. I can WFH and did so during lockdown. My employer will not entertain the idea of me WFH now.

I'm a gym goer too and it has been keeping me sane too. But now it's reached a point where if I don't go I'm stressed out for not going, and if I do go I'm stressed out at the thought I could be more exposed to the virus there. I'm stressing either way. Lose lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm so down how this year went and no end in sight. I'm not the only one though. I got angry at someone in a shop today, they had a face mask on and they took it off to sneeze. They sneezed into their elbow but what was so wrong with keeping the face mask on and sneezing into the elbow, you know an extra layer of protection.

I'm working and talked to management about people wearing their face masks wrong, like under their nose. Management gave us a talk and there was a positive case in the company and it went ignored, people are continuing to wear their face masks wrong.

I have huge anxiety around covid, and with increasing cases, all this behaviour is not helping.

Why can't we all look out for each other and do what's right? I'm fed up with the selfishness.

Can you talk to your GP about how you are feeling?

Can you talk to your GP about how you are feeling?

Yeah, I've an appointment for something else tomorrow so I'll bring it up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yeah, I've an appointment for something else tomorrow so I'll bring it up with them.

That’s a good thing.
    I’d really make sure to get your point across as how your getting on at work and in public and how you a feeling about things.
    I think you changed work recently. Would it every be possible for you to work from home because no matter where you work I think you may encounter issues.
    Can you do grocery shopping, etc online? for a while? Because being out and about seems to make you really uncomfortable.

That’s a good thing.
    I’d really make sure to get your point across as how your getting on at work and in public and how you a feeling about things.
    I think you changed work recently. Would it every be possible for you to work from home because no matter where you work I think you may encounter issues.
    Can you do grocery shopping, etc online? for a while? Because being out and about seems to make you really uncomfortable.

I can't work from home unfortunately. That said, I went out for a cycle today and stopped at a cafe for a coffee and sat in the sun for a bit. First bit of enjoyment in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

That’s fecking crazy, taking the mask of to sneeze. I’m not sure if u work in a shop but there was a fella working behind the counter today in a shop I went into and he had the mask below his nose. Might aswell not wear it.

fin12 wrote: »
    That’s fecking crazy, taking the mask of to sneeze. I’m not sure if u work in a shop but there was a fella working behind the counter today in a shop I went into and he had the mask below his nose. Might aswell not wear it.

It was nuts to take off a mask to sneeze. Seriously stupid people out there. I just don't understand the under the nose wearers, I mean it's on your face, how hard is it to pull it over your nose. It's absolutely pointless wearing a mask otherwise.

Is there anyone providing free counseling services?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

finding today hard as i have been temp laid off work due to the level 3 restrictions and have been refused the Covid Payment because im on Xs & Os

Annoyed at this because i'm going to be down money and my mental state is not able to write appeal letters and then having to do it face to face will be even harder

I need to have this sorted :(:(

PTH2009 wrote: »
    finding today hard as i have been temp laid off work due to the level 3 restrictions and have been refused the Covid Payment because im on Xs & Os

Annoyed at this because i'm going to be down money and my mental state is not able to write appeal letters and then having to do it face to face will be even harder

I need to have this sorted :(:(

So sorry to hear this.
    What's X's and O's?

So sorry to hear this.
    What's X's and O's?

A form of Jobseekers allowance in which you get paid for the days you don't work

Even more frustrating is that im been refused even though im temp laid off and will be receiving no employment income for the next while

Im appealing but its a massive mental strain in which i don't want to be doing

• Advertisement

A form of Jobseekers allowance in which you get paid for the days you don't work

Even more frustrating is that im been refused even though im temp laid off and will be receiving no employment income for the next while

Im appealing but its a massive mental strain in which i don't want to be doing

Would u not be entitled to the full jobseekers then cause u can’t do X’s and O’s?

fin12 wrote: »
    Would u not be entitled to the full jobseekers then cause u can’t do X’s and O’s?

I should be entitled to the Covid Emergency payment as im temp out of work. Back in March my current claim was suspended and i went on the emergency payment

I should be entitled to the Covid Emergency payment as im temp out of work. Back in March my current claim was suspended and i went on the emergency payment

Oh right but haven’t the payments being reduced so like anyone who was earning under €250 a week is now entitled to €203 which is the same as Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Are u entitled to more under the Covid payment? If u can’t sort if out yourself get on to your local TD, they should help.

This is causing me anxiety too. My employer told me me won't be paid if we have to isolate or if we're sick. So I have to register on Mygov.ie. However, I only started working a few months ago and was an SAHM for the previous few years so I've no "stamps". Would I still get the Covid payment if I was isolating or sick?

https://text50808.ie/

Guys I used this service last night and it’s pretty good, if u just want to talk to someone, can talk about anything.

Just texting so some mind find it easier than talking in the phone. 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

2 Corinthians 4:8-9

8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;

9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed.

growleaves wrote: »
    2 Corinthians 4:8-9

8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;

9 not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed.

May I gently amend your lovely consoling and utterly true quotation? Thank you.

I edited out the bit about persecution; Saint Paul, the writer, lived in times of very real persecution, in the early days of Christianity.

Read about hiding in the catacombs.

Saint Stephen was stoned to death for his faith.

Saint Peter was crucified upside down.

Saint Paul was beheaded.

Yes these are hard, hard and depressing times. If we allow ourselves dwell on that. But no one is being persecuted. We are facing something unprecedented, and the unknown is always frightening. All we are asked to do is take steps to prevent a situation like in India, where my faith-family are barricaded in with numerous newborn babies left at the gate, and they are coping and doing well.

Imagine being out in a gale? We have two choices.

Turn your back and it will blindly blow you where it wills.

Face it out and you can fight your way forward. Step by slow step. It is hard but the only way to cope.. and "this too shall end. " It really will and the more we cooperate and cope the sooner that will be.

Stay well! Stay safe! Stay strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Graces7 wrote: »
    May I gently amend your lovely consoling and utterly true quotation? Thank you.

I edited out the bit about persecution; Saint Paul, the writer, lived in times of very real persecution, in the early days of Christianity.

Read about hiding in the catacombs.

Saint Stephen was stoned to death for his faith.

Saint Peter was crucified upside down.

Saint Paul was beheaded.

Yes these are hard, hard and depressing times. If we allow ourselves dwell on that. But no one is being persecuted. We are facing something unprecedented, and the unknown is always frightening. All we are asked to do is take steps to prevent a situation like in India, where my faith-family are barricaded in with numerous newborn babies left at the gate, and they are coping and doing well.

Imagine being out in a gale? We have two choices.

Turn your back and it will blindly blow you where it wills.

Face it out and you can fight your way forward. Step by slow step. It is hard but the only way to cope.. and "this too shall end. " It really will and the more we cooperate and cope the sooner that will be.

Stay well! Stay safe! Stay strong!

You are an inspirational person x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I may be on my own here with this, but, I half hope to have a quiet and peaceful Christmas with no family visitors or busybodies at the door. Endless movies and endless books to keep me going and I am happy out.

Dan.

• Advertisement

I may be on my own here with this, but, I half hope to have a quiet and peaceful Christmas with no family visitors or busybodies at the door. Endless movies and endless books to keep me going and I am happy out.

Ur not on ur own and do whatever makes u happy. I’m not much into Christmas either, I don’t like the stress people are put under re gifts, and all this mad rushing around. I’m not a church goer but I do actually like going to mass on Christmas Day. After that then just dinner and a few drinks
    /tv/ movie. , that’s it then. No visiting and no visitors. I used to go over to the uk to visit family around Xmas but I stopped that about 2 years ago cause I just found it was a stressful time going over there and wouldn’t really be looking forward to it. Busy time going through airports aswell so would go instead in like the new year.

Advertisement