Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toxic Masculinity harming MEN

Options
  • 03-01-2020 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I'm not talking about pc terms. I'm talking about blatant stupidity, ignorance or negative mindsets against people just being themselves. Men have emotions, even the stoic men and some eventually have a meltdown or difficulty when it reaches boiling point. It can also really cast a shadow long term causing worry and stress ruining other or all parts of their lives. Why do you think people are known to find Xmas a real struggle ?

People often find life hard but if someone is condemned or looked down on, or if they get repetitive little remarks or immediately cut down to size over certain innocent aspects of themselves or their behaviour ... ? The point is men may find some other guys chipping away at them making things worse before they even attempt to speak out, and then to a less than eager ear that doesn't get it. They may be given some regimented instructions or choices - rather than support they might end up with sort yourself out with an obvious WTF by the macho dude to end.

I didn't realise what it was for a long time. I just thought it was people playing games or being themselves or a control thing. It is not applicable to women hence the reason for whomever classifying it as they did. It is a recognised term displaying an exaggerated and stony macho outlook with certain unwavering set criteria and behaviour expected to be reached by others. It dominates their own behaviour in a way that is carefully measured and sought by them to conform with their archaic view of the male stereotype. They discourage any overstepping or blurring of the gender stereotypes and make their opinions more like standards, demands and expectations. It means things like expecting others to man up, talk is for women, men are doers, men should earn more, men don't wear pink ever and boys should play sport etc. and the list goes on. They will react disapprovingly and often in a premeditated manner in order to control and remove undesirable traits or behaviour. It can put pressure on others to reach unrealistic expectations and seek to diminish others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Toxic masculinity is great , it means sh1t gets done.

here is a recent display

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

silverharp wrote: »
    Toxic masculinity is great , it means sh1t gets done.

here is a recent display

But that’s not toxic masculinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

brevity wrote: »
    But that’s not toxic masculinity?

Well according to an Australian Feminist those men will go home to beat up their wives!!!

Toxic Masculinity is the language of the Radical Feminist, just because the term has been normalised doesn't mean a person should take it seriously.

Life is a journey of self improvement whether you are a male or female!

Well according to an Australian Feminist those men will go home to beat up their wives!!!

Toxic Masculinity is the language of the Radical Feminist, just because the term has been normalised doesn't mean a person should take it seriously.

Life is a journey of self improvement whether you are a male or female!

What?

“Toxic masculinity” is less about men and women and more about how men treat other men and the stereotypes that men need to conform to.

What?

“Toxic masculinity” is less about men and women and more about how men treat other men and the stereotypes that men need to conform to.

And what is the female version of that?

And conform to who or what standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Skippyme

I'm not talking political correctness, and watching what and how anything is said. It's a real and influential shadow hanging over many men from their peers etc. I will say that it is harmful and people shouldn't look the other way, but that's after encountering it. The more dominate can really do some damage because of their beliefs and if you think about it ... someone actually seeking advice or support can be unsure of themselves / situation and then to be put down or actually instructed to live up to other's unrealistic expectations piled on top
    of whatever worry that they sought someone's assistance or advice on. I may explain it intricately but in plain English it's just a case of play nice and listen to people by asking, instead of observing and just piling military style signed n' sealed disapprovals and expectations on top of men. It can have a crippling impact on guys especially around party time or if guys open up to be shot down or ridiculed.

I don’t know what the female version of it is; “toxic femininity”?

What I gather is that its ok for men to be open with their emotions and feelings. That’s there is a bit of a spectrum to being a man and it’s not all the usual tropes or stereotypes. There is no need for men to feel that they need to act or be a certain way because they are a man.

Women are not going to say adult women don't cry, or women can't wear blue or woman up.

Macho / Alpha males pressure others to conform to their ideology. There are more of them out there than you think influencing societal ideals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

What?

Do females have no negative pressures on them or stereotypes about how they should behave? Many if not most people would say they do (particularly feminists) yet “toxic femininity” is very rarely used.

Until I see the latter being used more regularly, I’m going to consider “toxic masculinity” to be a loaded term to criticise males in a way it’s not seen acceptable to criticise females.

Toxic refers to when men act like Donald Trump old fashioned caricature stereotypes etc. It's kind of oppressive and one take outlook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Skippyme wrote: »
    I'm not talking about pc terms. I'm talking about blatant stupidity, ignorance or negative mindsets against people just being themselves. Men have emotions, even the stoic men and some eventually have a meltdown or difficulty when it reaches boiling point. It can also really cast a shadow long term causing worry and stress ruining other or all parts of their lives. Why do you think people are known to find Xmas a real struggle ?

People often find life hard but if someone is condemned or looked down on, or if they get repetitive little remarks or immediately cut down to size over certain innocent aspects of themselves or their behaviour ... ? The point is men may find some other guys chipping away at them making things worse before they even attempt to speak out, and then to a less than eager ear that doesn't get it. They may be given some regimented instructions or choices - rather than support they might end up with sort yourself out with an obvious WTF by the macho dude to end.

I didn't realise what it was for a long time. I just thought it was people playing games or being themselves or a control thing. It is not applicable to women hence the reason for whomever classifying it as they did. It is a recognised term displaying an exaggerated and stony macho outlook with certain unwavering set criteria and behaviour expected to be reached by others. It dominates their own behaviour in a way that is carefully measured and sought by them to conform with their archaic view of the male stereotype. They discourage any overstepping or blurring of the gender stereotypes and make their opinions more like standards, demands and expectations. It means things like expecting others to man up, talk is for women, men are doers, men should earn more, men don't wear pink ever and boys should play sport etc. and the list goes on. They will react disapprovingly and often in a premeditated manner in order to control and remove undesirable traits or behaviour. It can put pressure on others to reach unrealistic expectations and seek to diminish others.
    I'm not convinced that the expectations such as those in bold only come from men.

The topic is about masculinity but the exaggerated toxic form - outdated, and for many aspiring guys it would be an unattainable or unhealthy ideal. Women's attitudes evolved more generally over time versus men. How many mothers nowadays either give their daughters either the impression or advice that would have been commonplace long ago. Is there still a consensus held among a large portion of women that to keep a husband / partner you must have tea / dinner on the table ... or that if she is unavailable that it will be left ready with instructions !

I don’t know what the female version of it is; “toxic femininity”?

What I gather is that its ok for men to be open with their emotions and feelings. That’s there is a bit of a spectrum to being a man and it’s not all the usual tropes or stereotypes. There is no need for men to feel that they need to act or be a certain way because they are a man.

And yet here we are....

The term Toxic Masculinity has been around a few decades, normally consigned to the fringe radical feminists or limp wristed self help movements...if either of those is your bag have at it.

But its use in mainstream and social media has exploded in recent years and as such become normalised....there is no equivalent female term because feminists don't do self awareness or personal responsibility.

A person's journey through life is hard enough, self improvement is really tough, but they are an individuals responsibility...I do not subscribe to the term, it is in and of itself a toxic term, part of a broader toxic movement in my opinion.

The topic is about masculinity but the exaggerated toxic form - outdated, and for many aspiring guys it would be an unattainable or unhealthy ideal. Women's attitudes evolved more generally over time versus men. How many mothers nowadays either give their daughters either the impression or advice that would have been commonplace long ago. Is there still a consensus held among a large portion of women that to keep a husband / partner you must have tea / dinner on the table ... or that if she is unavailable that it will be left ready with instructions !

its all very woolly , it sound like it just becomes a bag to put assorted behaviour in that someone randomly doesnt like. Breaking the law is toxic , or being lazy etc, otherwise what exactly is the problem?

Honestly the whole concept sounds like the musings of some men who didnt get over a bit of bullying in school or didnt have good male role models growing up. Ill assume you are male but what exactly bothers you?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Toxic Masculinity doesn't refer to plain old masculinity. It's like trying to get everyone to be the hard man, or feeling superior to people that don't do the same. There is a lot of talk about it in recent years as it can make some guys feel like they need to conform and change and it stops them being real or too open when they are struggling. They then get worse like a vicious circle as they can't get the support they actually wish they had, and things escalate.

You think chauvinism or racism was just made up too ?

iptba wrote: »
    Do females have no negative pressures on them or stereotypes about how they should behave? Many if not most people would say they do (particularly feminists) yet “toxic femininity” is very rarely used.

Until I see the latter being used more regularly, I’m going to consider “toxic masculinity” to be a loaded term to criticise males in a way it’s not seen acceptable to criticise females.

Im sure they do but I’m not a woman so I don’t know.

I don’t see it as a way to criticise men, I see it as away that “being a man” can be many different things. That because certain men don’t fit a certain stereotype that they are any less of a man.

Well it is the opposite of just that ...

It's a bit different to plain old fashioned bullying or it can be. The person can be charming, polite, friendly and come across as helpful and respectful. It can be obvious from the start or only after they have got to know you and built up a rapport. It takes many forms from control and manipulation to chipping away at someone else's ideology gradually or it can be just straight forward disapproval in certain circumstances from the start.

If there is a rapport or relationship between someone genuine and someone with ' toxic masculinity ' or even if they just fake it until it suits them ... until they find another Alpha Male, the genuine guy can really value the other's opinion and the toxic Alpha Male plays on this. The bond can debilitate the guy from being able to brush it off.

There are people that struggle big time on their own whether they try to join the masses or diverge. You can join the masses all you want but some people don't fall into place. People don't always fit - how do you think some elderly people end up with no family or friends for the final 20 -30 years ? There are people that nobody would realise had passed away unless they miss an appointment.

I reiterate that it is a male only issue. It's not as simple as kindness or nastiness. It's an ideology and a very harmful one. It can be every bit as harmful as a man and woman in a relationship with the man putting the woman on edge and eroding her. Look at it this way, if a man or a woman in a relationship can diminish the other person's abilities, confidence and happiness then it can also happen in a friendship. Like I said it only applicable to males as it is a hierarchy that the Macho Man or Alpha Male imposes. The very point is ' toxic masculinity ' often involves the stronger willed male to have such confidence, or the ability at the very least to fake it perfectly; that it enables them to impose their will or ideology. The other person may not be capable of meeting such expectations and may feel dreadful and very compromised. The toxic masculinity provides uncompromising self assured certainty to the Alpha Male's mind - a clear judgement that the other guy is a disappointment and the honest guy absorbs the disapproval ending up majorly doubting themselves feeling like crap.

The Macho Man can be sincere and genuine in their vision and aspirations for the other person to step up to the plate. They may purposely quietly show lack of interest / encouragement or slightly disapprove or make brief pointed remarks / jibes as a means to assert pressure to conform. They will react negatively if they incentivise the other party to behave but it doesn't work or they struggle with it. The reaction can be callous, unforgiving and direct absolute disgust and disdain. Games and the cold shoulder may feature more than words or arguments. They may keep a person on the hook until they suddenly chuck them under the next bus. Men have rules imposed on them by such figures who try to dehumanise and desensitise them to be more stoic and resilient. This is not the same for women. Women can support each other or open up without the foregoing presumption of questioning their femininity.

If a young adult guy fell off his bike he would grimace and clench rather than cry no matter the extent of the damage. It is more likely that a young woman would not nearly burst a vessel trying to hold the tears back knowing if the pain was excruciating the moment would happen, and then pass. The man would be mortified to burst out crying especially if it went on for several minutes and if any Macho Males observed such a display both sides would react awkwardly. Men are still held to these attitudes. There is an expectation on men to play or watch sports not placed on women. It can be hard for some men to grasp if another guy has zero interest in ' the game '. They literally are unable to take it on board thinking you're just less interested rather than not at all. Imagine a woman being confused if another woman never bakes in her lovely kitchen.

Toxic masculinity can be subtle, gradual, or permeate any encounters from the first interaction but it can be very invasive, persuasive and pervasive. It is often not as obvious as the kind of bullying where you can see it. It is easier to miss and even for the person to dismiss it as themselves being confused oversensitive or submitting to blame themselves more. You would struggle to see a motive unlike normal bullying so it becomes a vicious circle of pondering everything and outright confusion. You might also want to get on with the individual and value their input - drastically different from the normal schoolyard bully that you will resent or wish to avoid or maybe confront. It is much worse as it is completely mental and ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The topic is about masculinity but the exaggerated toxic form - outdated, and for many aspiring guys it would be an unattainable or unhealthy ideal.

Who decides any form of masculinity should be characterised as exaggerated and toxic? What you’re describing is normal behaviour among males, characterising it as exaggerated and toxic and therefore it must be unhealthy and an unattainable ideal. It sounds as though you’re arguing that those men should strive to conform to your ideal, an ideal which from your description would be unattainable for me anyway given I have no interest in behaving in a way that would be completely unnatural for me. Outdated? Certainly not, not when the type of masculinity you’re describing as “toxic” is the most prevalent form of masculinity in any given society.

Women's attitudes evolved more generally over time versus men. How many mothers nowadays either give their daughters either the impression or advice that would have been commonplace long ago. Is there still a consensus held among a large portion of women that to keep a husband / partner you must have tea / dinner on the table ... or that if she is unavailable that it will be left ready with instructions !

No they haven’t? You have a very limited definition of women if you think that women describes a small proportion of women who subscribe to feminist politics. The vast majority of mothers still impart the wisdom of their mothers, grandmothers and their great grandmothers before them. Yes there is still a large consensus held among women that to maintain a happy and healthy relationship with their men, they take care of the men in their lives. Then there are a small cohort of women still trying to convince women that they can have it all, such women are generally miserable in my experience and their efforts remain unconvincing to the majority of women. They tend to be the type of women who observe “toxic masculinity” in the majority of men, -and it’s unsurprising that there are a small cohort of men who are just as miserable who who share their beliefs.

Girl Power and women's movements were for women to support each other and stand together against male chauvinism and unhealthy male controls in operation. They didn't deem it toxic masculinity but they knew it was men behaving badly - just men in this controlling regard. They had allies among some men but they also knew the difference between the majority enjoying their favoured status and those that were on their side publicly / behind the scenes. Women were pushed into submission until they worked together supporting each other.

The thing about ' toxic masculinity ' is that it encourages men to be seen to resilient instead of strengthening and building each other up with support. It's about competing and misses the link and strength in 2 minds are better than one. The strongest may eventually snap or miss out entirely on positive facets of life due to lines dreamt up and reinforced by some members of their own gender. Never mind One-Upmanship ... What about united we stand, divided we fall ?

What about Guy Power ?

Men are more likely to suffer more and longer lasting ill effects of becoming a widower than women, and have less of a support network. Do you think he feels strong and superior as he crumbles and realises that he gradually fell out of his or his wife's network ?

Girl Power and women's movements were for women to support each other and stand together against male chauvinism and unhealthy male controls in operation. They didn't deem it toxic masculinity but they knew it was men behaving badly - just men in this controlling regard. They had allies among some men but they also knew the difference between the majority enjoying their favoured status and those that were on their side publicly / behind the scenes. Women were pushed into submission until they worked together supporting each other.

The thing about ' toxic masculinity ' is that it encourages men to be seen to resilient instead of strengthening and building each other up with support. It's about competing and misses the link and strength in 2 minds are better than one. The strongest may eventually snap or miss out entirely on positive facets of life due to lines dreamt up and reinforced by some members of their own gender. Never mind One-Upmanship ... What about united we stand, divided we fall ?

What about Guy Power ?

Men are more likely to suffer more and longer lasting ill effects of becoming a widower than women, and have less of a support network. Do you think he feels strong and superior as he crumbles and realises that he gradually fell out of his or his wife's network ?

Skippy I’m really struggling to understand your posts. It’s not your fault, it’s the fact that we clearly speak in two very different languages.

From my perspective, what you’re observing as “toxic”, is the very embodiment of “guy power”. I don’t know have you ever participated in or competed in team sports, or whether or not you participate or compete in the workplace, but those are all examples of “guy power”, and the “United we stand, divided we fall” concept you speak of.

I don’t see why you think outliers and those who do not wish to participate in society should enjoy the protection of the society they shun? Shun what you observe to be toxic masculinity, yet expect to be protected by it at the same time? I’m certain that’s not how society actually functions. You can pick out individual examples from that society to make your point of course, but that’s a rather pessimistic view of masculinity which will of course influence the perception to an outsider that it is toxic and they want no part in it. At some point they chose to exclude themselves, and that’s why that person has no support network, or rather - a very different and much smaller support network of people who share their beliefs.

• Advertisement

Evening OneeyedJack

Whether it's toxic or not depends on their behaviour ...

The topic leads onto another separate discussion about male mental health and perspectives. The movie The Joker shows a page saying something interesting near the start.

The shunning comes from the other side as they aim to actively discourage the individual's unmanly behaviour and exclude them ( like you inferred ) as a means to influence, alter and correct them.

Evening OneeyedJack

Whether it's toxic or not depends on their behaviour ...

The topic leads onto another separate discussion about male mental health and perspectives. The movie The Joker shows a page saying something interesting near the start.

The shunning comes from the other side as they aim to actively discourage the individual's unmanly behaviour and exclude them ( like you inferred ) as a means to influence, alter and correct them.

How is that behaviour any different from the behaviour which claims normal behaviour among the majority of men as “toxic”, isn’t that just the same thing? Attempting to criticise men who do not conform to what is an ideal held by what has to be said is a minority of people?

Surely the flipside of the coin is expecting men should conform to standards and behaviours which are deemed acceptable and “non-toxic” from a minority perspective, and how do you imagine describing their behaviour as toxic would affect the mental health of the men who do not conform to that standard? Isn’t describing their behaviour as toxic simply a means to influence, alter and correct them?

Fortunately for most people in society, the idea of “toxic masculinity” is a set of idealised behaviours held only by a minority of people in society who want the majority to conform to their standards, and that’s the reason why I do not acknowledge the concept of “toxic masculinity” as having any legitimacy whatsoever - it’s predicated upon shaming and condemnation of normal men.

You have forgotten one major point ... the toxic masculinity is all about being strong and stoic, being dismayed at guys that are not, and exerting pressure on them to conform to their ideology. It can include chauvinism against women as well, so should women just accept it too ???

You want to know if I disapprove of other people's JUDGEMENTAL views ... yes of course - if someone's view is to look down or hate on someone because of old fashioned archaic beliefs then we should say never mind ? You think that is a pack portrayed in the movies from another era ???We all know some men hold other men to certain old fashioned ideals that they just ain't feeling.

The subject is not superficial or something made up. By your logic it's okay to be backward about it as long as nobody gets hit over the head all's well.

Do you not see that people that are in the minority ( as far as society conditions us to believe ) are ironically both less acceptable to the Alpha Male, and also more likely to receive the brunt of it ?

What if the amount of men that don't fall into the gender's fullest epitome of traditional masculinity outnumber those that do, even by a small percentage ... should we be ignored, just lead or overpowered, being weaker examples by default ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Being strong and stoic are positive characteristics.

"Exerting pressure on someone to conform" is called being a cvnt. It has nothing to do with masculinity.
    "feeling superior to people that don't do the same" is called being a cvnt. It has nothing to do with masculinity.
    Being "judgmental" and "hating" is called, guess what :) being a cvnt. And again, has nothing to do with masculinity.

You seem to be talking about people who claim power/respect from exerting themselves on others. Nobody like people who do that regardless of whether they are male or female.
    The strongest people that I know are bestowed power/respect because they lead by example.

You have forgotten one major point ... the toxic masculinity is all about being strong and stoic, being dismayed at guys that are not, and exerting pressure on them to conform to their ideology. It can include chauvinism against women as well, so should women just accept it too ???

I’m not forgetting that the behaviour you describe as toxic is simply normal male behaviour common to the majority of men. Whether anyone chooses to accept something or not is completely up to them, I would never argue that anyone should accept something they don’t wish to. I suppose there’s something to be asked of whether or not women actually do accept chauvinism and actually approve of chauvinism when a man can come out with a comment like “grab ‘em by the pussy”, and still be elected President of the most powerful nation in the world! :pac:

You want to know if I disapprove of other people's JUDGEMENTAL views ... yes of course - if someone's view is to look down or hate on someone because of old fashioned archaic beliefs then we should say never mind ? You think that is a pack portrayed in the movies from another era ???We all know some men hold other men to certain old fashioned ideals that they just ain't feeling.

The subject is not superficial or something made up. By your logic it's okay to be backward about it as long as nobody gets hit over the head all's well.

That’s a fair assessment of my position.

Do you not see that people that are in the minority (as far as society conditions us to believe) are ironically both less acceptable to the Alpha Male, and also more likely to be receive the brunt of it ?

What I see is some people desperate to claim they are an oppressed minority, and seeking ways to increase their numbers by identifying ways in which other groups in society are an oppressed minority too, and their common oppressor is an average normal guy such as myself. I don’t have any interest in oppressing anyone, quite the opposite in fact, and that’s why I don’t buy into an ideology which suggests that I am harmful to myself or others because I don’t wish to portray myself as being oppressed. I just don’t see how that sort of behaviour could be beneficial to a person’s mental health. All evidence suggests that it clearly isn’t if it’s proponents are anyone to go by. They’re generally miserable.

What if the amount of men that don't fall into the gender's fullest epitome of traditional masculinity outnumber those that do, even by a small percentage ... should we be ignored, just lead or overpowered, being weaker examples by default ?

Traditional masculinity as you call it is predicated upon protecting and providing for the weaker members of society, so by definition if what you consider toxic masculinity were eliminated from society, responsibility would then fall on the weaker members of society to protect and provide for everyone. I don’t see how that would actually work in practice, as by definition the weaker members of society can’t even provide for themselves?

I am struggling with the OPs posts - many sentences contain words I recognise - but in structures that are meaningless to me.

However in so much as I understand - the OP appears to be making a common error of mistaking attributes as the problem - when it is feeling you have to conform to those attributes that "toxic masculinity" was originally coined to describe.

One sentence that seems to evidence this is "toxic masculinity is all about being strong and stoic". There is absolutely nothing wrong with being strong. Or stoic. At all. They can often be perfectly wonderful traits in any one - of any gender.

If however you feel you _must_ be one of those things solely because you are male - then that is indeed toxic. And what I believe the phrase was coined for.

Many originally useful terms have been over used - misused - and even weaponised so their original meaning and utility have been lost. "Toxic Masculinity" is one of these. "Mansplaining" also jumps to mind given it's meaning - and how it tends to actually be used when I see it - are vastly different.

It does not help that no one seems to be able to usefully define concepts like "real man" "masculine" or "male role model" in the first place. Their attempts to do so - especially on threads about whether homosexual parents are any less ideal than straight parents - stray into sheer comedy. I can not define it usefully either. Even the dictionary often offers definitions that are self referential and therefore do not define much at all. The terms appear to not really mean much at all.

But even if I can not define it I can think of examples of it. Kind of like that possibly apocryphal story about the court case where someone was asked to define porn and they just said "I know it when I see it".

Jocko Willink is an example of it I think. If the word "masculine" means anything - he is an example of it for sure. If he does not warrant usage of the term - then the term is indeed useless. I can scarce think of anyone who deserves it more in fact - subjective as that may be.

But there is not a jot toxic about him I have seen yet. The man is if anything a complete teddy bear. And is as comfortable to think when he needs to think - as he is to fight when he needs to fight - as to ask for help when he needs help - as he is to blubber up and cry when there is cause to cry. Not one attribute of him strikes me as "toxic" - nor do I think he has any given attribute solely because he feels his being a male means he should.

That’s a fair assessment of my position.

It stinks of an element at least of the topic being discussed and the negative cave man reaction.

I don't classify normal masculine behaviour as toxic. I classify toxic masculinity as oppressive and aggressive in nature. It seeks to reduce other men with the aim of promoting their unyielding blind-sighted vision of what a man should be. It's not cool.

The toxic macho guy will attempt to impose their take on correct masculinity by influence, control and manipulation; or by purposely conveying their disdain through comments, judgements or ultimatums etc. They will direct these strategies towards others as a way to forcibly change and fix individuals so they fit with their vision of ' toxic masculinty ' .

It's okay for people to be educated regarding racism, bigotry, sexism etc. Decades ago and even today in some countries sexism was accepted but women rose up and also racism became out of sync with civilised society.

What I see is some people desperate to claim they are an oppressed minority, and seeking ways to increase their numbers by identifying ways in which other groups in society are an oppressed minority too, and their common oppressor is an average normal guy such as myself. I don’t have any interest in oppressing anyone, quite the opposite in fact, and that’s why I don’t buy into an ideology which suggests that I am harmful to myself or others because I don’t wish to portray myself as being oppressed. I just don’t see how that sort of behaviour could be beneficial to a person’s mental health. All evidence suggests that it clearly isn’t if it’s proponents are anyone to go by. They’re generally miserable.

In other words ... they should join the masses and man up if they want to be counted. They should otherwise realise they will not be fully accepted either as being equals, or hold the same desire for people to include them ?

Traditional masculinity as you call it is predicated upon protecting and providing for the weaker members of society, so by definition if what you consider toxic masculinity were eliminated from society, responsibility would then fall on the weaker members of society to protect and provide for everyone. I don’t see how that would actually work in practice, as by definition the weaker members of society can’t even provide for themselves?

Weaker OR perhaps non-stereotypically valued enough male or female members of society have their own abilities, and are capable of more rather than less without over boxing certain leading emotions or traits.

It stinks of an element at least of the topic being discussed and the negative cave man reaction.

I don't classify normal masculine behaviour as toxic. I classify toxic masculinity as oppressive and aggressive in nature. It seeks to reduce other men with the aim of promoting their unyielding blind-sighted vision of what a man should be. It's not cool.

The toxic macho guy will attempt to impose their take on correct masculinity by influence, control and manipulation; or by purposely conveying their disdain through comments, judgements or ultimatums etc. They will direct these strategies towards others as a way to forcibly change and fix individuals so they fit with their vision of ' toxic masculinty '

there is a spectrum of what it means to be male, is Bill Gates toxic? by any measure he would be one of the most respected men on the planet.

Bill Gates is a successful business man with drive and prospects. He provides for his family.

OneeyedJack already determined that normal males provide and protect and claimed that weaker members of society would be unable to do so for themselves.

OneeyedJack also determined contradictorily ...
    I don’t see why you think outliers and those who do not wish to participate in society should enjoy the protection of the society they shun? Shun what you observe to be toxic masculinity, yet expect to be protected by it at the same time? I’m certain that’s not how society actually functions.

So in other words guys must conform ( this is the concept for toxic masculinity ) in order to be a proper man, but not only must they be complicit in attempts to man up ... they also need to achieve a minimum certain status or ability in this ' toxic ' scenario.

You are saying that they will not deserve or warrant respect, protection, provision, support etc. try as they may if they still cannot fit into your ideology ???

• Advertisement

I would say that if a man has the capacity to provide for themselves and they don't , firstly they are letting themselves down plus they wont have earned respect from society. I would describe such a man as toxic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement