Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche charging for child's place during closure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yes I'm terribly excited... :rolleyes:

You want it both ways, you cancel your agreement to keep paying them yet they have to honor the agreement to keep a place for your child.

When questioned as to why your answer is that they should simply "deal with it".

Are all the crèches that contacted parents to say no fees until further notice keeping that child’s place ? I suggest yes they are .

I don’t think you are living in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

I wonder is this only happening in certain regions? All of my friends who have children in creches spread across munster have not been asked to pay from April 1st onwards. Do you know many people who have been asked to pay full whack for April. There was no mention from my creche in relation to people losing their children's places.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Daz_ wrote: »
    Are all the crèches that contacted parents to say no fees until further notice keeping that child’s place ? I suggest yes they are .

I don’t think you are living in the real world.

I would more than suggest that they are, but thats not really the point of this thread is it?
    If the creche has already suspended fees, what exactly are you complaining about?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I would more than suggest that they are, but thats not really the point of this thread is it?
    If the creche has already suspended fees, what exactly are you complaining about?

I really couldn’t be bothered to discuss this with you anymore . Take your scaremongering elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Does anyone know if the Government will continue to pay the universal under 3 subsidy to childcare providers?
    I know they will continue to pay the ecce hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

We've still no word from our creche about whether they want full fees from April onwards. If we don't hear anything by Monday I think we're just going to bite the bullet and let them know we won't be paying and we understand if our children's places are not guaranteed when they re-open.

I'm fully convinced childcare and schools aren't re-opening until September at the very earliest, maybe even longer. Maybe that's just me being a pessimist. If I'm wrong and and they do re-open sooner and we have no place in the creche then we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

We've still no word from our creche about whether they want full fees from April onwards. If we don't hear anything by Monday I think we're just going to bite the bullet and let them know we won't be paying and we understand if our children's places are not guaranteed when they re-open.

I'm fully convinced childcare and schools aren't re-opening until September at the very earliest, maybe even longer. Maybe that's just me being a pessimist. If I'm wrong and and they do re-open sooner and we have no place in the creche then we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Today we should find out more re schools reopening but it is safe to say it won’t be next Monday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Schools maybe not as obviously they are getting near holidays but childcare could be a lot sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

Millem wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Government will continue to pay the universal under 3 subsidy to childcare providers?
    I know they will continue to pay the ecce hours.

Yes our creche have confirmed that ALL Government subsidies will be continue to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Creches still get ecce payments during closure. I would tell them to take a running jump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Steviesol wrote: »
    Creches still get ecce payments during closure. I would tell them to take a running jump

You do know ecce payments are **** all in the running of a creche

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

neris wrote: »

How much are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Today we should find out more re schools reopening but it is safe to say it won’t be next Monday!!!

I'll be shocked if schools open before September tbh. Things are going to get an awful lot worse. We will shortly go into lockdown for at least two weeks and that could be extended indefinitely.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    How much are they?

It depends on their qualifications. Our teacher has a level 9 so I think she gets €82/€83 per week per child.

She runs a home based Montesorri.

I pay €75 for ecce hours only but then the government pay €7ish in the under 3 subsidy. My son does extra hours though so my bill is anywhere between €110 and €140 per week.

I'll be shocked if schools open before September tbh. Things are going to get an awful lot worse. We will shortly go into lockdown for at least two weeks and that could be extended indefinitely.

I hear you re schools but I think crèches will be open before September.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

they are grand when you're not having the provide the service that they are intended for

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why would creches open before schools?
    Young kids are far more likely to spread disease then older, more hygiene aware kids

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Why would creches open before schools?
    Young kids are far more likely to spread disease then older, more hygiene aware kids

Because schools will be closed for the summer regardless but if things are allowed to go back to normal before September then crèches will open before schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭fuse

We got s text from our crèche saying that they were asking us to keep paying as they were paying their staff. Fair enough, it's a great crèche and the child benefit covers the costs anyway. Worth it.

It's a good attitude, but the price they charge as a business is to make a profit.
    Now their expenses are considerably cheaper, maintenance, utilities, especially if they provide food/nappies etc. as ours does.
    It's also costing you more to keep your kids at home.

Would you not ask a few questions and request a breakdown of the fees or that they would calculate a fair percentage?

salmocab wrote: »
    Because schools will be closed for the summer regardless but if things are allowed to go back to normal before September then crèches will open before schools.

Exactly. They might get back in June/July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jrby

Has anyone heard what Little Harvard are going re April fees?

I’ve two kids in full time with them but not sure if they have put a hold on fees or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

30% according to ours, this also includes the early childcare pre-ECCE 20pw year round

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I really want to believe this but when I think it through logically I don't see it happening. I imagine 3/4 months from now, a lot of people dead but new infections rates dropped significantly due to ongoing social distancing/lock down. At that point what good would it do to start re-opening things as infection rates would just shoot back up again and we'd have a 2nd wave.

They only circumstance I can see creches opening before September is if an effective treatment is found which reduces mortality rate significantly. Another much less likely scenario is a vaccine being made available in the next few months. A 3rd even less likely scenario is a partial lock down where 'at risk' people are told to isolate themselves.

This article is suggesting a 'holding fee' of 150 per child per month which is very reasonable imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This article is suggesting a 'holding fee' of 150 per child per month which is very reasonable imo.

Not really. Federation of Early Childhood Providers a body made up of the owners of creches, want a holding fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

jrby wrote: »
    Has anyone heard what Little Harvard are going re April fees?

I’ve two kids in full time with them but not sure if they have put a hold on fees or not.

We got an email yesterday saying that the fees will be 50% down for April.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

unseen wrote: »
    We got an email yesterday saying that the fees will be 50% down for April.

Are you happy with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Thread is a mess which clearly reflects the disjointed nature of the industry.

Thankfully our creche got in touch saying no fees until back in action. Community creche in Co. Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Not really. Federation of Early Childhood Providers a body made up of the owners of creches, want a holding fee.

A holding fee is one thing. But for parents of multiple kids in particular 50-75% is hundreds of euro for no service. 75% in our case is €1200. That’s an insane amount to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Are you happy with that?

Of course not but I don't think I have many options :(

• Advertisement

The government announced today they will pay 70% of staff wages up to €410 if the business will pay 30%.
    Hopefully crèches might avail of this?

Advertisement