Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid non-essential travel !!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Now that my destination of Lisbon Portugal has a security status of " Avoid non-essential travel " can I get my fare returned for flights as I will not be travelling, even though my flight status with Ryanair is showing flight scheduled for departure @ 06:15 19-03-2020 and return flight scheduled for 14:45 23-03-2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭xlogo

Hi,

I have flights booked for Spain mid April and the Aer Lingus app shows the status as 'Flight Disrupted' - do I have to wait until they cancel before I can get a full refund?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

We have travel insurance with multitrip.com - the essential (basic) pack. On the ticks for cover section catastrophe is not ticked. Would this covid issue be under that category I wonder.

Lucky enough to have free cancellation on accommodation and the car hire can be cancelled too as far as I know so the flights are the other big expense.

If Ryanair cancel or a do not travel is in place I presume I am looking at travel insurance to fully recoup. Just not sure about that catastrophe wording.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

We have travel insurance with multitrip.com - the essential (basic) pack. On the ticks for cover section catastrophe is not ticked. Would this covid issue be under that category I wonder.

Lucky enough to have free cancellation on accommodation and the car hire can be cancelled too as far as I know so the flights are the other big expense.

If Ryanair cancel or a do not travel is in place I presume I am looking at travel insurance to fully recoup. Just not sure about that catastrophe wording.

Thanks

If you have the basic multitrip cover then you are NOT covered, you needed to pay extra for the disruption cover.

If the airline cancel your flights you'll be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JohnCleary wrote: »
    We were due to fly DUB -BCN-DUB Mar 26-29.

Hotel were very accommodating and advised Agoda to offer full refund (on a non-refundable booking).

AerLingus is 'business as usual'. I suspect within a few days of our flight, they'll offer a re-schedule / refund.

I would much prefer a refund from the airline rather than claiming through insurance. My issue is, how long before the flight do I wait before claiming off insurance? Or wait until AFTER the flight? (This is presuming AerLingus don't cancel the flight)
    No idea. There was no link.

So far, not impressed with AerLingus.

Our hotel has refunded us.
    Our return flight (Vueling) has refunded us.
    Any activities we pre-booked have refunded us.

AerLingus: "Business as usual". I'm guessing they're waiting until last minute to cancel our booking, in the hope we will cancel ourselves hence no refund. OR, they're going to run the flight and no refund (we will claim off insurance).

Just another update on this.

Just got an e-mail from AerLingus with 2 options:
    1) Change flight without fee
    2) Apply for a voucher for full amount + 10% 'extra' credit

I'm guessing they're clutching at straws. There's no way this flight is going ahead on March 26 from DUB - BCN.

I'd expect this from Ryanair, but not AerLingus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All Aer Lingus flights to Spain have been cancelled until 30th april.

You should get the refund email at some point.

I just got that change/voucher email, but assumed it referred to my return flight in
    May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Just got the email from Aer Lingus too about my flights being cancelled.

I filled in the refund form as listed in the email link. Is there much of a wait for the refund given how they must be inundated with requests for refunds?

FGR wrote: »
    Just got the email from aer Lingus too about cancelling.

I filled in the form. Is there much of a wait for the refund given how they must be inundated with requests for refunds?

When are you flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

When are you flying?

Hi John. Was meant to be flying on the 31st of March.

FGR wrote: »
    Just got the email from Aer Lingus too about my flights being cancelled.

I filled in the refund form as listed in the email link. Is there much of a wait for the refund given how they must be inundated with requests for refunds?

I sent it in the other day, but I'm not expecting the refund any time soon given the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I sent it in the other day, but I'm not expecting the refund any time soon given the circumstances.

where is the refund link - I only see link to claim a voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Supposed to be heading Ibiza 14th May. Do you think Ryanair will cancel or will this virus hopefully blow over by then ?

where is the refund link - I only see link to claim a voucher?
    There seems to be two emails on the go, one for flight that's been cancelled which has a link to apply for a refund, the other one is offering a change/voucher for flights to the end of May (I think) that haven't actually been cancelled yet.

I've got one of each - a cancellation/refund for the flight before the end of April,which I've applied for - the flight number and my booking reference were mentioned in the email.

And a generic-looking change/voucher offer for "flight disruption" which I'm assuming refers to the flight I had booked in early May, which hasn't actually been cancelled yet - there was no mention of a booking reference or flight number in that email.

But I know someone who's got the change/voucher email for a flight that's before the end of April - so AFAIK that should be the cancellation email - so I think their systems are struggling, and I would hope that correct procedures will happen in due course.

I really don't envy them, this must put the disruption from the Beast from the East in the ha'penny place!

Supposed to be heading Ibiza 14th May. Do you think Ryanair will cancel or will this virus hopefully blow over by then ?
    Whatever about the virus having blown over (I have my doubts tbh), guessing if Ryanair will cancel this far ahead of time is a fools game, I'd say you'll need to wait till a lot nearer the time to even guess at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I think the general outlook here currently on travel is that basically;

If you have plans to travel in the next 3 months then cancel them

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I think the general outlook here currently on travel is that basically;

If you have plans to travel in the next 3 months then cancel them

We've even written off our annual September / October European City Break (we haven't booked, so no loss).

It was a sickener having to cancel our Spring city-break (Barcelona), but that's life. Infact, cancelling was pain free (One e-mail to Hotel / Vueling Airlines was just a few clicks).

Aer Lingus, the scrotes, have still not cancelled our out-bound flight (to Barcelona) for March 26! As of today, that flight still flew DUB-BCN. If that flight goes ahead on Mar 26, we'll have to claim off insurance.
    They asked not to contact them more than 72 hours before our flight, which we'll honor. I suspect when I call, there'll be a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

We've even written off our annual September / October European City Break (we haven't booked, so no loss).

Yea i've cancelled all my plans, I just hope that if there's a vaccine found soon it will mean everything will start to get back to normal again...

Though in reality it will probably be 2021 before travel is permitted internationally again..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yea i've cancelled all my plans, I just hope that if there's a vaccine found soon it will mean everything will start to get back to normal again...

Though in reality it will probably be 2021 before travel is permitted internationally again..

I wouldn't disagree with you. Normally, by now, we'd be looking at booking our annual December / January break (Usually SE Asia) - Not risking it, so sitting tight for now and have come to the reality that we may be in Ireland for Christmas / New Years 2020.

I say 'not risking it' as our travel insurance will be up for renewal in November, and I expect we wouldn't be covered (just a hunch) so the best thing to do is not book anything. That way, we have nothing to lose (except our patience, being stuck in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Have return flights and hostel accomodation booked for a trip to Northern Spain in September. Nothing booked through a travel agent. It's all paid for. Do you think I should try and cancel? I have no travel insurance at this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

billyhead wrote: »
    Have return flights and hostel accomodation booked for a trip to Northern Spain in September. Nothing booked through a travel agent. It's all paid for. Do you think I should try and cancel? I have no travel insurance at this moment.

If you cancel the flights you'll only get the Government duty back at this stage.
    Try cancel the accommodation if they give you full refund.
    But no benefit to you cancelling the flight now.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

If you cancel the flights you'll only get the Government duty back at this stage.
    Try cancel the accommodation if they give you full refund.
    But no benefit to you cancelling the flight now.

Do you think Northern Spain would be out of bounds in 6 months. I know how long is a price of string

I have flights booked to Vancouver in mid June. I'd say its only 50/50 that they will go ahead. As yet I haven't bought insurance although I always buy it before I travel in case of delays or luggage going missing (I go to Vancouver every year). Should I just wait and see what is happening by then? Is there any point in buying Insurance right now..............as it probably wont cover flight cancellation ?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If you booked the whole holiday through aer lingus, as in the hotel as well, will the voucher also reimburse that or is it just for the flights?

I have flights booked to Vancouver in mid June. I'd say its only 50/50 that they will go ahead. As yet I haven't bought insurance although I always buy it before I travel in case of delays or luggage going missing (I go to Vancouver every year). Should I just wait and see what is happening by then? Is there any point in buying Insurance right now..............as it probably wont cover flight cancellation ?

thanks.
    You won't get any insurance that will cover anything to do with Covid 19 any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ryanair are not offering refunds so I’m forced to travel to Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Gael23 wrote: »

You need to call 999 and tell the cops that Michael O'Leary is forcing you at gunpoint to board the plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Are you actually that stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Hahaha hahaha "forced"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Do you want to come home in a coffin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Do you want to come home in a coffin?

Please don't, the state will probably pick up the cost of your holiday then.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement