Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid non-essential travel !!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dublin Bus is starting deep cleaning of all vehicles from tonight, there was a major meeting today and that's what they came up with.

I asked this year's ago as in many other countries the trains and buses are sanitised nightly.

So far there is no talk of city services been pulled and bus eireann will be running too unless it changes in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Doodoo wrote: »
    I was booked on this flight as well and cancelled last week. Wonder will I get a refund.

If you cancelled you won't - if the airline cancelled you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fireball81 wrote: »
    If you cancelled you won't - if the airline cancelled you will.

I've a flight to and from Germany at the start of April booked. Ryanair are offering the chance to rebook it, which wouldn't suit me. Do I just wait and see if they cancel it for a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I've a flight to and from Germany at the start of April booked. Ryanair are offering the chance to rebook it, which wouldn't suit me. Do I just wait and see if they cancel it for a refund?

I thought the offer to rebook was only for flights up to the end of March?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I thought the offer to rebook was only for flights up to the end of March?

Got an email today offering the chance of a rebooking with fees waived so I think they're including April too now.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's highly likely it will be cancelled so I'd wait (unless you have a non refundable hotel booked etc), if which case rebook and see if the hotel will move your booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bonnieog

Has anyone noticed that VHI have removed their link & document relating to their position on covering policies due to COVID-19 related issues e.g. cancelling trips to places on the DFA non-essential travel list?
    Are they trying to back out of what they had previously promised?

bonnieog wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that VHI have removed their link & document relating to their position on covering policies due to COVID-19 related issues e.g. cancelling trips to places on the DFA non-essential travel list?

Mmmmm took a screen shot of it when it was up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

bonnieog wrote: »

You should have received the policy documents when you took out your insurance. That will be the policy that applies to you.

It's quite possible though that they're updating their terms and conditions for any new policies, which would explain why it's not online. That's just a guess on my part though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dublin Bus is starting deep cleaning of all vehicles from tonight, there was a major meeting today and that's what they came up with.

I think that would be more appropriate for the Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport - Discussion thread in Commuting & Transport
    So far there is no talk of city services been pulled and bus eireann will be running too unless it changes in the meantime.

Also in Commuting & Transport, there is a sticky thread documenting schedule changes, alterations and cancellations to public transport arising out of the virus, it's called Coronavirus - Public Transport Disruption - Updates Only No chat alowed in that thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

I'm due to fly with Ryanair on Thursday to Lisbon, the DFA website is advising high degree of caution. My insurance is telling me (If your flight is proceeding as planned and the DFA has not warned against non-essential travel to your destination, then you will not be entitled to a refund). The HSE advice Avoid all non-essential travel to other countries until 29 March. Can anyone tell me if I can get a refund depending whos advice I take.

cyclops999 wrote: »
    I'm due to fly with Ryanair on Thursday to Lisbon, the DFA website is advising high degree of caution. My insurance is telling me (If your flight is proceeding as planned and the DFA has not warned against non-essential travel to your destination, then you will not be entitled to a refund).

If Ryanair are flying there and the DFA advice does not go to 'only essential travel' or 'do not travel' then you won't be able to claim if you do not fly. And they have not put Portugal into either category yet.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/portugal/
    The HSE advice Avoid all non-essential travel to other countries until 29 March. Can anyone tell me if I can get a refund depending whos advice I take.

I'm pretty sure that your insurance company will only pay based on the DFA advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

coylemj wrote: »
    If Ryanair are flying there and the DFA advice does not go to 'only essential travel' or 'do not travel' then you won't be able to claim if you do not fly. And they have not put Portugal into either category yet.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/portugal/

I'm pretty sure that your insurance company will only pay based on the DFA advice.
    Seems crazy especially when Ryanair expect most of its flights grounded after friday

Seems crazy especially when Ryanair expect most of its flights grounded after friday

Letting airlines fly for a few days before borders are closed makes sense. It allows them to fly people home without creating the scenes we saw in major US aiports on Monday, where thousands of people got stuck in long immigration queues arriving into places like O'Hare in Chicago. Where they spent hours coughing and breathing on each other and spreading bugs and viruses.

Your problem is that there is no travel advisory along the lines to 'do not travel, except for repatriation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

If planes are grounded, flights are cancelled and you get a refund from the airline anyway. No need fro insurance

As an aside, I can still buy a RyanAir return Dublin-Barcelona, departing this Friday for €90. Are they not being a teensy bit irresponsible allowing joe public to do that?

tombrown wrote: »
    If planes are grounded, flights are cancelled and you get a refund from the airline anyway. No need fro insurance

I'm pretty sure poster cyclops999 is aware of that. Their flight is listed in the Dublin airport departures for Thu 19th, status 'on schedule'.
    As an aside, I can still buy a RyanAir return Dublin-Barcelona, departing this Friday for €90. Are they not being a teensy bit irresponsible allowing joe public to do that?

Joe Public (or his Spanish counterpart Jose Publico) could live in Barcelona and be travelling home. It's not down to the airlines to (in the non-medical sense) screen passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

We were due to fly DUB -BCN-DUB Mar 26-29.

Hotel were very accommodating and advised Agoda to offer full refund (on a non-refundable booking).

AerLingus is 'business as usual'. I suspect within a few days of our flight, they'll offer a re-schedule / refund.

I would much prefer a refund from the airline rather than claiming through insurance. My issue is, how long before the flight do I wait before claiming off insurance? Or wait until AFTER the flight? (This is presuming AerLingus don't cancel the flight)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Of course airlines are accepting bookings

They need the cash

Is mad to think you can still book a flight to Gatwick for €25 each way later this week, surely all these flights (about 6 flights a day for Ryanair alone) are virtually empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Is mad to think you can still book a flight to Gatwick for €25 each way later this week, surely all these flights (about 6 flights a day for Ryanair alone) are virtually empty?

Or else they've merged them together and only one flight is going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

JohnCleary wrote: »
    We were due to fly DUB -BCN-DUB Mar 26-29.

Hotel were very accommodating and advised Agoda to offer full refund (on a non-refundable booking).

AerLingus is 'business as usual'. I suspect within a few days of our flight, they'll offer a re-schedule / refund.

I would much prefer a refund from the airline rather than claiming through insurance. My issue is, how long before the flight do I wait before claiming off insurance? Or wait until AFTER the flight? (This is presuming AerLingus don't cancel the flight)

Aer lingus emails are coming through with cancellations up to April 30th, so refund is possible. I'm sure they've a lot to send out, yours will come eventually.

"Dear Guest,
    In response to recent travel restrictions announced by the Spanish Government and updated travel advice from the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs, we have cancelled all Aer Lingus flights between Ireland and Spain from 22 March to 30 April."

My problem is the return flight was for early May, which isn't cancelled, yet ...... still, if one relatively cheap flight is all this whole thing costs me, i won't be doing too badly....

Or else they've merged them together and only one flight is going

And are using them to shift people home, wherever that might be

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Aer lingus emails are coming through with cancellations up to April 30th, so refund is possible. I'm sure they've a lot to send out, yours will come eventually.

"Dear Guest,
    In response to recent travel restrictions announced by the Spanish Government and updated travel advice from the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs, we have cancelled all Aer Lingus flights between Ireland and Spain from 22 March to 30 April."

My problem is the return flight was for early May, which isn't cancelled, yet ...... still, if one relatively cheap flight is all this whole thing costs me, i won't be doing too badly....

Thanks.

Our return flight is with Vueling on Mar 29 (BCN to DUB). I suspect this flight will indeed run and we will have to claim off insurance (no excess)

Thanks.

Our return flight is with Vueling on Mar 29 (BCN to DUB). I suspect this flight will indeed run and we will have to claim off insurance (no excess)

I know no more than you, but I suspect the chances of any flights at all outside of cargo and emergencies still running by the end of March are slim to none!

I've applied for my outbound fare refund from Aer Lingus, and am happy to wait and see what happens with the return one in early May.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I know no more than you, but I suspect the chances of any flights at all outside of cargo and emergencies still running by the end of March are slim to none!

I've applied for my outbound fare refund from Aer Lingus, and am happy to wait and see what happens with the return one in early May.

What was the refund process with AL? E-mail with a link to fill out a refund form? At the moment, I can go through the traditional process online of applying for a refund. But if I do that, I suspect i'll only get the taxes refunded rather than the whole fare.

I'll be holding out until I hear from AL... not due to fly for 9 days.

What was the refund process with AL? E-mail with a link to fill out a refund form? At the moment, I can go through the traditional process online of applying for a refund. But if I do that, I suspect i'll only get the taxes refunded rather than the whole fare.

I'll be holding out until I hear from AL... not due to fly for 9 days.
    Yes, I got an email with a link. Very straightforward ..... assuming it eventually arrives!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Hm..

I have flights booked to the canaries on 31st March since November 2019. I got an Email from Aer Lingus today telling me to prepare for my flight! When I selected Manage My Booking I got an error telling me to call customer service.

Does this mean I'll be given the notice of cancellation/refund shortly? I booked the flight and accomodation through loveholidays but everything to do with the flight has been emailed to me directly by AL.

Also - have accomodation booked in Majorca for June. I booked my travel insurance for this months ago as well but I hadn't booked the flights as I was suspecting at the time they'd come down. Will the travel insurance still refund my accomodation come June and the same warnings exist - despite not having booked flights?

Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If they don't refund, will you still go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

If there's still a chance I'll end up spreading infection then no. I don't think it's appropriate given the consequences.

• Advertisement

FGR wrote: »
    If there's still a chance I'll end up spreading infection then no. I don't think it's appropriate given the consequences.

There are other reasons why you shouldn't go.....

1. The hotel you booked is probably closed by now. Or locked down and in quarantine.

2. There is a serious risk that you will get stuck there.

Advertisement