Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus flight cancelled - what about return flight?

Options
  • 17-03-2020 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

My Aer Lingus flight to Spain in April has been cancelled and I can apply for a refund. The return flight is in May. Obviously, I can't come back if I don't go and my accommodation has now been cancelled, so rescheduling (even if it was possible) is not an option.

I have used the online form to cancel both now. Did I make a mistake and should I have waited? Both flights were on the one booking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sorry I can't be of help, but we have an outgoing flight with AL on Mar 26 to Barcelona - no word of refund / cancelled flight.

Where in Spain are you flying to?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Sorry I can't be of help, but we have an outgoing flight with AL on Mar 26 to Barcelona - no word of refund / cancelled flight.

Where in Spain are you flying to?

Malaga. I imagine your flight must be cancelled too? Have you checked online? I got an email from AL this morning.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Malaga. I imagine your flight must be cancelled too? Have you checked online? I got an email from AL this morning.

Just tried to log into 'Manage Trip' and got the following error:

We're sorry but it is not possible to manage this booking. Please contact our helpdesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

How do you contact the helpdesk?

How do you contact the helpdesk?

No idea. There was no link.

So far, not impressed with AerLingus.

Our hotel has refunded us.
    Our return flight (Vueling) has refunded us.
    Any activities we pre-booked have refunded us.

AerLingus: "Business as usual". I'm guessing they're waiting until last minute to cancel our booking, in the hope we will cancel ourselves hence no refund. OR, they're going to run the flight and no refund (we will claim off insurance).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Strange as Veuling an EI are part of the same umbrella

JohnCleary wrote: »
    No idea. There was no link.

So far, not impressed with AerLingus.

Our hotel has refunded us.
    Our return flight (Vueling) has refunded us.
    Any activities we pre-booked have refunded us.

AerLingus: "Business as usual". I'm guessing they're waiting until last minute to cancel our booking, in the hope we will cancel ourselves hence no refund. OR, they're going to run the flight and no refund (we will claim off insurance).

Just another update on this.

Just got an e-mail from AerLingus with 2 options:
    1) Change flight without fee
    2) Apply for a voucher for full amount + 10% 'extra' credit

I'm guessing they're clutching at straws. There's no way this flight is going ahead on March 26 from DUB - BCN.

I'd expect this from Ryanair, but not AerLingus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I just got the same for a flight at the start of May. I'll hold out until they offer a refund.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

How long would that voucher be valid for? Can't find it in the email or links they sent me.

I've already applied for the refund, based on the original email offering it for the outgoing flight. However, I also got the email today offering the voucher, which I'd opt for instead if I could get through to anyone.

I'd also need to know how long it's valid - it will be next year at the earliest before I'd likely be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I've already applied for the refund, based on the original email offering it for the outgoing flight. However, I also got the email today offering the voucher, which I'd opt for instead if I could get through to anyone.

I'd also need to know how long it's valid - it will be next year at the earliest before I'd likely be going.

2099 shows on any voucher I have purchased in the past or EI issued to me in compensation. They want to hold to your money

You also don't pay the €9 per person per flight handling change on vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I got a cancellation email on 17th for flight tomorrow 29th to Malaga.

I followed the link given - https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/disrupted-flight-refund-form/ - and got an email with a case number. Nothing since either by email or refund on my credit card. I am currently queueing in their web chat for almost an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

Where is the web chat option on the Aer Lingus website? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

My Aer Lingus flight to Spain in April has been cancelled and I can apply for a refund. The return flight is in May. Obviously, I can't come back if I don't go and my accommodation has now been cancelled, so rescheduling (even if it was possible) is not an option.

I have used the online form to cancel both now. Did I make a mistake and should I have waited? Both flights were on the one booking.

It's a pity you not post before you cancel, well really that very much depends on how expensive.
    An airline has an obligation to give you an alternative flight on the same route at the time of your choosing i think anytime up to a year from original cancelled flight.
    Easyjet cancelled a flight for me in Jan that cost £18 from Belfast, i was not aware of the rule and made mistake while cancelling but then discovered that i could re-book. I will use at a peak time and hopefully it will work.

Just to add there are large sums available on long-haul if considerable delay. I was delayed 24 hours with and got €800 in travel i can use with KLM/Air France.
    I have trip April 23rd and expect it be cancelled as booking site saying all full until end April, Easyjet.

Actually i am just thinking that these are exceptional times and the normal rules may not apply as its not their fault.
    Sorry...

Just to update this thread: I heard nothing after completing the refund request and then received the offer of a voucher for my entire booking + 10%. I filled in the form online and received confirmation that it would be issued in due time.

I'm happy with this, assuming AL stay in business. My accommodation deposit will be transferred to another date of my choosing, again assuming that the business in Spain remains in operation.

These definitely are extraordinary times and money that was already a sunk cost for a holiday is the least of my worries :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Does anyone have a link to the voucher request form for aer lingus?
    I got the email but still can't seem to find it on the site.

Here you go.

Advertisement