Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid non-essential travel !!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Hadn't thought of that I might do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Just went through DAA Departures schedule.
    Not one flight cancelled to Spain Baleric or Canary islands and Spain in a lockdown, yet english airlines are cancelling and sending planes over empty to bring people home!!
    Pure Greed of Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

macadam wrote: »
    Just went through DAA Departures schedule.
    Not one flight cancelled to Spain Baleric or Canary islands and Spain in a lockdown, yet english airlines are cancelling and sending planes over empty to bring people home!!
    Pure Greed of Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

There’s a lot of Spanish kids heading home this weekend too can hardly keep them here I’m sure their parents want them home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

To be honest, harsh opinion but why the f*#) did they travel yesterday? Some people just haven’t a brain cell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It's really depressing that there are people here who thinks it's okay to travel abroad.

There are so many stupid people. The shame is that this virus wont harm the morons who fly abroad or pack out the pubs, but it will pose a real danger to any vulnerable persons unfortunate enough to touch base with these retards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Have a holiday booked and (paid flights and accomodation seperately) to Northern Spain in September. Should I reconsider and cancel? I know how long is a price of string but this pandemic is only starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

CBear1993 wrote: »
    To be honest, harsh opinion but why the f*#) did they travel yesterday? Some people just haven’t a brain cell

It may be hard to feel sorry for these people but they are at risk and the messages they are getting are wrong. UK open for business, no school closures, all these flights on and No non essential travel notices from their goverment, so no refunds. It's easy to see why they risked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

work wrote: »
    It may be hard to feel sorry for these people but they are at risk and the messages they are getting are wrong. UK open for business, no school closures, all these flights on and No non essential travel notices from their goverment, so no refunds. It's easy to see why they risked it.

More to the point. What about the people who have to risk it when they come back. Selfish ba--ards

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

Pkiernan wrote: »
    It's really depressing that there are people here who thinks it's okay to travel abroad.

There are so many stupid people. The shame is that this virus wont harm the morons who fly abroad or pack out the pubs, but it will pose a real danger to any vulnerable persons unfortunate enough to touch base with these retards.
    What is more depressing is that the DFA doesn't stop the flights. Ryan Air & Aer Lingus will carry on flying as long as there isn't a "Do Not Travel" advisory, so they can avoid giving refunds to people who don't travel, and so those who, misguidedly, do think it is OK to travel still can.

Very easy to label people "morons", but when the powers that be give them the means to travel there will always be a few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

Read your travel insurance policies carefully. It's not just a matter of whether they'll pay out due to new government travel advisories; most policies have a large number of blanket exclusions for situations where they will not pay out any claim regardless of whether the claim would normally be covered outside of the excluded situation. For example, here's the list of exclusions on my Allianz annual policy (and note item number two in particular):
    We will not cover you for any claim arising from, or relating to, the following:
    1 War, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war is declared or not), civil war, civil commotion, rebellion, insurrection, military force, coup d’etat, terrorism (this does not apply to claims made under Emergency medical and associated expenses - Section 2 and Personal accident - Section 7) or weapons of mass destruction.
    2 Any epidemic or pandemic.
    3 You not following any advice or recommendations made by the Department of Foreign Affairs, World Health Organisation or any government or other official authority. This includes where certain vaccinations or other preventative measures (such as malaria tablets) are recommended.
    4 Any international sanction which prohibits us, the insurer or members of the Allianz Group from providing cover under this policy. This insurance may not provide any cover or benefit if either the cover or benefit would violate any applicable sanction, law or regulations of the United Nations, the European Union, United States of America or any other applicable economic or trade sanction, law or regulation. We decline claims to persons, companies, governments and other parties to whom this is prohibited under national or international agreements or sanctions.
    5 Your property being held, taken, destroyed or damaged under the order of any government or customs officials.
    6 Ionising radiation or radioactive contamination from nuclear fuel or nuclear waste or any risk from nuclear equipment.
    7 Any currency exchange rate changes.
    8 The failure or fear of failure or inability of any equipment or any computer program, whether or not you own it, to recognise or to correctly interpret or process any date as the true or correct date, or to continue to function correctly beyond that date (except under the Emergency medical and associated expenses and Personal accident sections).
    9 You acting in an illegal or malicious way.
    10 The effect of your alcohol, solvent or drug dependency or long term abuse.
    11 You being under the influence of alcohol, solvents or drugs, or doing anything as a result of using these substances (except drugs prescribed by a doctor but not for the treatment of drug or alcohol addiction).
    12 You not enjoying your journey or not wanting to travel.
    13 Any loss caused as a direct or indirect result of anything you are claiming for, for example loss of earnings, unless it says differently in the policy.
    14 You not answering accurately any question(s) we have asked you at the time of taking out this policy, where your answer(s) may have affected our decision to provide you with this policy.

In other words, this policy won't cover anything related to the COVID-19 pandemic, period, regardless of whether it's a claim they might have paid out if it was not related to the pandemic. Your insurer may or may not have a similar exclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Customer Notice: Ryanair Group reduces flights to/from Spain from Monday 16 March to Thursday 19 March.

All affected customers will receive an email notification informing them of their refund and free move options:

At least AirBnB are now offering full refunds for all bookings.

Come on Ryanair - you know it makes sense, do the same

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

tombrown wrote: »
    At least AirBnB are now offering full refunds for all bookings.

Come on Ryanair - you know it makes sense, do the same

Ryanair are allowing free date changes (at the moment only for bookings til the end of March, but I expect it will be extended), which to be honest I was amazed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

tombrown wrote: »
    What is more depressing is that the DFA doesn't stop the flights. Ryan Air & Aer Lingus will carry on flying as long as there isn't a "Do Not Travel" advisory, so they can avoid giving refunds to people who don't travel, and so those who, misguidedly, do think it is OK to travel still can.

The DFA are working with other governments and the EU. They can't unilaterally stop flights. We are not America

spurious wrote: »
    Ryanair are allowing free date changes (at the moment only for bookings til the end of March, but I expect it will be extended), which to be honest I was amazed at.
    Yes, but read higher up this thread on how that "gift" from Michael O'Leary is really working out ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Meant to be on a Ryanair flight in 2 weeks. Not keen to book new dates, so I'm just playing chicken with them now and hoping they'll cancel so I get a refund.

We have accommodation booked with hotels.com and the cancellation policy is 30% of the total booking. I've emailed them to ask if they'll waive the fee due to the extreme circumstances (not expecting a reply any time soon!). Anyone else been on to hotels.com recently about similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Was shopping around for annual travel insurance a few months back as used to rely on the insurance that came with my BOI platinum Mastercard (same as what comes with the Aer Lingus credit card too).

The insurance that comes with the card when you book the majority of a holiday with the card is underwritten by AIG and is very poor - ditched the card and used the €76 annual fee towards a VHI multi trip policy.

What did you find 'poor' about the AIG travel policy?

There are two benefits which I like.....

1. If the start of your holiday is delayed by 12 hours, you can elect to abandon it altogether and they will pay up to €2,500 for costs you cannot recover.

2. If you miss a flight connection, they will pay up to €1,000 for taxis and hotel costs you incur.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

coylemj wrote: »
    What did you find 'poor' about the AIG travel policy?

There are two benefits which I like.....

1. If the start of your holiday is delayed by 12 hours, you can elect to abandon it altogether and they will pay up to €2,500 for costs you cannot recover.

2. If you miss a flight connection, they will pay up to €1,000 for taxis and hotel costs you incur.

The cover that came with the credit card (underwritten by AIG) may differ from AIGs on travel insurance product.

In terms of the BOI card insurance...

Limits were low
    Curtailment and cancellation cover were limited

It certainly wasn't the premium cover it was being made out to be, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Holiday booked to Italy in June. Do I cancel now or hold tight for a few more weeks?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Holiday booked to Italy in June. Do I cancel now or hold tight for a few more weeks?

If you cancel you are likely to get nothing so there's no point- if the airline cancels or Italy is still on a DFA list by the time you are due to travel, you should be covered by the airline, your operator or travel insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Booked to fly to Lanzarote on Sunday 22 March.

When I log into the Aer Lingus website, it now states "Your trip will be impacted by a disruption. You can change the details of your trip OR Cancel, using the options above. Please contact our Call Center for further assistance".

Does that mean if I cancel I will get a full refund?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

JTMan wrote: »

When I log into the Aer Lingus website, it now states "Your trip will be impacted by a disruption. You can change the details of your trip OR Cancel, using the options above. Please contact our Call Center for further assistance".

Thanks.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Have Vienna/Budapest booked for April, rang the hotels but they are still open for business. flights already cancelled from Ryanair.

Might send them a email

DaraDali wrote: »
    Have Vienna/Budapest booked for April, rang the hotels but they are still open for business. flights already cancelled from Ryanair.

Might send them a email

Highly doubt you'll get a response from Ryanair.

Assuming you are getting a refund from them for the flight, if it's a non refundable hotel you have booked ask the hotel if you can push out your date and/or check your travel insurance for disruption cover (to get a refund).

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

If I’m travelling to Tenerife in July is it too late to get travel insurance?

stuba wrote: »

If you've booked stuff it could be - whatever cover you are looking at, check if there are exclusions based on 'known events'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

stuba wrote: »

The DFAs security status for Spain is currently "Avoid non-essential travel". So if you do take out travel insurance, check the policy in detail first to see if you'd be covered. I highly doubt you'd be covered taking it out now though tbh.

We were meant to be going to Morocco and the security status has also been updated to avoid non-essentially travel. We already had annual travel insurance at the time of booking though when they had a lower security status, so we should be covered (aside from the excess). Still hoping Ryanair will just cancel the flights though so we can get a full refund without any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

We are booked to Barcelona March 26 - 29. Obviously, we will not be going.

We have insurance with MultiTrip. Travel Disruption and No Excess. MultiTrip have confirmed we are covered, however the first port of call is to request a refund.

Here is where we stand:

OUT: AerLingus - Change of dates offered, but no refund (flight is still scheduled)
    HOTEL: Hotel Jazz, Barcelona. Booked through Agoda. Hotel confirmed directly that we can re-book for up to 6 months, but no refund.
    IN: Vueling - Change of dates offered, but no refund (flight is still scheduled)

1) When should we submit our claim to MultiTrip?
    2) I presume we simply attach correspondence with the hotel / screenshot from the Airlines confirming no refund?

Never, ever had to claim on insurance before so i'm a bit green.

-EDIT- No longer had I posted and the hotel responded saying they will offer a 100% refund. We have cancelled with Agoda so hopefully they play ball (The automated system did say we could cancel for free).

Now it's just the airlines to deal with. I can only assume in the next few days they will cancel (or offer refund) on the flights... understandable they are waiting until the last minute to offer this to avoid offering a refund. It would be much easier to refund than claim on insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

tried contacting the Agent (Edreams) in relation to changing the dates.. They wont handle any CS queries about flights unless their due to fly in the next 5 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

JTMan wrote: »

Thanks.
    I was booked on this flight as well and cancelled last week. Wonder will I get a refund.

Advertisement