Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-03-2020, 11:00   #1
Foweva Awone

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport - Discussion

I think it's seriously crappy and irresponsible to be shutting down public transport services. Apart from anything else, what about medical professionals who are reliant on public transport to get to work? Or long term illness patients who need to get to hospital appointments?

I do realise the drivers need to protect themselves, but masks and gloves and minimal cash handling would greatly reduce any risk.
Advertisement
14-03-2020, 11:22   #2
Thrashssacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foweva Awone View Post
I think it's seriously crappy and irresponsible to be shutting down public transport services. Apart from anything else, what about medical professionals who are reliant on public transport to get to work? Or long term illness patients who need to get to hospital appointments?

I do realise the drivers need to protect themselves, but masks and gloves and minimal cash handling would greatly reduce any risk.
These are basically all just college services that are being shut down.
(5) thanks from:
14-03-2020, 11:44   #3
thomasj

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

I was just thinking , given how quiet it is at the moment , I think Irish Rail will probably switch to Saturday mode within the next week or so.

Likewise with Dublin bus and probably xpresso services being cut?

Couldn't get over Friday , it felt like the days just after Christmas

What do ye think
14-03-2020, 11:47   #4
coylemj

There is a sticky thread at the top of the page covering this exact topic.
14-03-2020, 11:50   #5
thomasj

Oh right , sorry I thought that was information only
Advertisement
14-03-2020, 12:22   #6
coylemj

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
Oh right , sorry I thought that was information only
I get what you're saying. If you want a 'discussion' where you invite uninformed speculation (and the spreading of false rumours) then go ahead. Don't see the point though.

We are in completely uncharted territory so I'd suggest you wait for announcements from the relevent operators. Which will get posted in the sticky thread.
(3) thanks from:
14-03-2020, 12:24   #7
dartboardio

I will be using public transport as normal today, into town to get some food with my family.

Everyone seems to be under the impression that ireland is in lockdown and no one should go outside the door.

Until that is an official warning or guideline from our government, carry on as normal

Unless obviously you're of compromised health anyway or elderly.

So many people freaking out and locking themselves in their homes that are fit young and healthy.
Thanks from:
14-03-2020, 12:30   #8
Zebra3

But it's not carry on as normal!!!!
14-03-2020, 12:43   #9
Sultan of Bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartboardio
So many people freaking out and locking themselves in their homes that are fit young and healthy.

Who's locking themselves in their homes. Plenty of people out and about in my area this morning.

It's people's choice if they want to stay at home or not. Just do what you want to do and don't worry about the rest of us, we'll be fine.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-03-2020, 12:52   #10
coylemj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartboardio View Post
I will be using public transport as normal today, into town to get some food with my family.
It would be far more responsible of you to walk or get in your car and drive to the nearest supermarket. Using public transport helps to spread the virus - you may be infected now but not know it. And the same applies to the person sitting beside you.

Quote:
Until that is an official warning or guideline from our government, carry on as normal
Absolutely not. You clearly haven't been listening.

What is required by society as a whole is to slow the spread of the virus. We do that by limiting social contact and that includes avoiding needless contact with groups of people, either in the pub or on public transport.

Even if the same number of people eventually get infected, by spreading the onset across the population to a longer period of time, we avoid overwhelming the health services with a massive spike of cases.

Where we end up in a situation where doctors and nurses (as in Italy) have to treat people in field hospitals (aka tents) and have to make life or death decisions like who gets a ventilator and who doesn't.
14-03-2020, 13:03   #11
Seamai

I've been lucky enough to arrange lifts and avoid using public transport for the time being. I know there will be people who wont have any choice in the matter but hopefully with less people using public transport due to schools being closed and people working from home it wont be so stressful for those who need to.
14-03-2020, 13:14   #12
dartboardio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan of Bling View Post
Who's locking themselves in their homes. Plenty of people out and about in my area this morning.

It's people's choice if they want to stay at home or not. Just do what you want to do and don't worry about the rest of us, we'll be fine.
Plenty around in my area too, but there is Plenty of scaremongering going on on Facebook 'Corona Virus Updates Ireland'

People saying 'ahhh the army is going to be patrolling the streets on monday' no one is allowed leave their house'

Madness.
(3) thanks from:
14-03-2020, 13:19   #13
Dodge

Quote:

Madness.
It’s also madness that you only act on government instructions

Literally everybody has said it’s best to limit social interactions and make as few journeys as possible

What you’re saying is that you won’t listen to advice but as soon as you’re told not to do something by the govt, you’ll stop.

Take a bit of personal responsibility and make as few journeys as possible. That way when you do make them, you’re less likely to be on a crowded bus

It’s not about ‘locking down’, it’s about everyone doing less so we don’t have to lock down
14-03-2020, 14:22   #14
Better Than Christ
Bigger Than Hitler

As a driver, I'm happy to carry on working and I hope services aren't cancelled at any point. My routes carry a lot of medical professionals, carers and outpatients.

However, I strongly resent the fact that (as things currently stand) I'm going to be driving drunk people home from pubs on Tuesday night. Not sure how I'm going to hide my contempt for them, tbh.
(8) thanks from:
14-03-2020, 14:34   #15
bk

MOD: We will keep this thread exclusively for discussion of the topic and use the sticky thread above for updates only. Thanks everyone.

Updates here:
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...?t=2058061356#

Last edited by bk; 14-03-2020 at 14:41.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size