Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoronaVirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

Some helpful facts and advice in link. In Britain it looks like most insurers cover dfa non essential travel advice...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/?fbclid=IwAR3rrZdWoZ4no6-xRRT4KvEMvQdKzAR85UYr9y30r7EgwphBbdNltFa3gew

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Cushtie

6541 wrote: »
    In fuverventura at the moment, everything is closed, panic buying. Cops on the street. Do not travel to Spain. **** has got real. Send help.

Family member went to Lanzarote today. Tried to explain to them that it was going onto lock down. Deaf ears. No cop on whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Cushtie wrote: »
    Family member went to Lanzarote today. Tried to explain to them that it was going onto lock down. Deaf ears. No cop on whatsoever.

I’d have a quick read through that other poster’s posts in this thread before you take his word at face value.

Not sure what he’s getting out of it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Collie D wrote: »
    I’d have a quick read through that other poster’s posts in this thread before you take his word at face value.

Not sure what he’s getting out of it to be honest.

All bars and restaurants closed in Lanzarote today. People walking around freely supermarkets are busy but no evidence of panic buying just people buying normally. Due home on Tuesday so we’ll see what happens. Most people we’ve spoken to seem happier to stay here rather than go home if it comes to it and reading about some of the stuff at home I can see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

All bars and restaurants closed in Lanzarote today. People walking around freely supermarkets are busy but no evidence of panic buying just people buying normally. Due home on Tuesday so we’ll see what happens. Most people we’ve spoken to seem happier to stay here rather than go home if it comes to it and reading about some of the stuff at home I can see why.

I'd be happier if you stayed there too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Was shopping around for annual travel insurance a few months back as used to rely on the insurance that came with my BOI platinum Mastercard (same as what comes with the Aer Lingus credit card too).

The insurance that comes with the card when you book the majority of a holiday with the card is underwritten by AIG and is very poor - ditched the card and used the €76 annual fee towards a VHI multi trip policy.

VHI covers disruption as standard while the basic Multi trip.com policy while cheap has low cover and no disruption cover- you have to pay extra.

VHI came out on front on cost v benefit. The cheaper policies really were basic and did not cover anything special like what we are facing now.

Multiple people are asking if they are covered- you really have to check your policy wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭6541

Tippgirl74 wrote:
    I phoned them on Friday. It's under the exclusions on their policy.

Police have just implemented rule 15A, anyone caught outside will be subjected to 2000 euro fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

6541 wrote: »
    Police have just implemented rule 15A, anyone caught outside will be subjected to 2000 euro fine.

Where have you seen this? I'm noticing a strange pattern in your posts on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Cushtie wrote: »

Must have been dying for some action

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine

Just when you thought trump couldn't get lower than he already is. This has to be one of worst things he has asked for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

We were due to fly out to Tenerife next Sat the 21st. Aerlingus have waived the change fees but of course not the fare difference. We have no idea when to rebook for. Any possible dates we looked at that were a good bit away cost a lot more.
    Don't know whether to rebook and eat the extra cost or wait it out and see if the flight is cancelled :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

foxy_j wrote: »
    We were due to fly out to Tenerife next Sat the 21st. Aerlingus have waived the change fees but of course not the fare difference. We have no idea when to rebook for. Any possible dates we looked at that were a good bit away cost a lot more.
    Don't know whether to rebook and eat the extra cost or wait it out and see if the flight is cancelled :rolleyes:

Surely if you rebook and pay a difference, if the flight is cancelled you'll get it all back anyway?

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Surely if you rebook and pay a difference, if the flight is cancelled you'll get it all back anyway?

Really? I thought if we changed our booking to say October and paid the price difference that if our flight next week was cancelled we wouldn't get anything back as we would be still flying in the future. It'd be great if we did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Really? I thought if we changed our booking to say October and paid the price difference that if our flight next week was cancelled we wouldn't get anything back as we would be still flying in the future. It'd be great if we did though.

Sorry I meant if your new flight (in October) is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If it was me I'd wait a few more days.
    Just saw Madrid closed down on BBC news.

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant if your new flight (in October) is cancelled.

ah ok yes I see. Feck I hope it won't be still affecting flights by October time.

elperello wrote: »
    If it was me I'd wait a few more days.
    Just saw Madrid closed down on BBC news.

Thanks, ya was hedging that way. They are giving conflicting info as it was announced they want everyone back by the 19th but they said they are operating flights til the 21st inclusive I guess to bring back as many people to Ireland. However no one is going to be on the outward flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

Thanks, ya was hedging that way. They are giving conflicting info as it was announced they want everyone back by the 19th but they said they are operating flights til the 21st inclusive I guess to bring back as many people to Ireland. However no one is going to be on the outward flights.

Spain has extended lockdown for further 15 days.

Lanzarote on strict lockdown

OPEN
    Supermarkets, pharmacy, Bank, Post Office, Hospitals (not to visitors), Airport, Port

CLOSED
    Bars, restaurants, Clothes shops, Hairdressers, beaches, pools and pool areas.

RESTRICTIONS

Only driver in car. No passengers. Exception is one eldrly or child for doctors
    No leaving house or Apt except for grocery shopping, doctor or pharmacy.
    Exeption is dog owner can take dog for Quick walk alone, 3 metre apart from others.
    Taxis from today can take 2 Adult passengers only or 2 Adults and only one Child
    8 seater taxis restricted to 3 Adult passengers only or 3 adults and only one Child

Only workers in approved jobs given certificate to leave house to attend work.

Ryanair and Aerlingus to take all Irish holiday makers or Irish residents who wish to leave, home by Thursday..

Eerie situation

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭wijam

I have a week in Mallorca booked at Easter, email from the hotel this morning asking me to reschedule for later in the year as they can not accommodate the booking.

Looks like this will be going on for a few months at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aisleseat

I think it's unlikely that they will cancel the flights unless they close down the airports at your destination. I had a flight to LPA last Sunday which wasnt cancelled however still flew out there with zero passengers. Its the same with the majority of scheduled EI and FR services to the Canaries which are showing as operational. By not cancelling, they are not obliged to refund.

My scheduled return flight is on Monday 23rd so waiting to see if that will be cancelled now.

• Advertisement

aisleseat wrote: »
    I think it's unlikely that they will cancel the flights unless they close down the airports at your destination. I had a flight to LPA last Sunday which wasnt cancelled however still flew out there with zero passengers. Its the same with the majority of scheduled EI and FR services to the Canaries which are showing as operational. By not cancelling, they are not obliged to refund.

My scheduled return flight is on Monday 23rd so waiting to see if that will be cancelled now.

Ya as of yesterday they cancelled my return flight only on the 26th but outbound flight still showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭sheroman01

We had to cancel our trip to Lisbon. Return flight is tomorrow. Want to change the date to June (that’s fine) but also want to change the origin from Lisbon>Dublin to Birmingham>Dublin. Aer Lingus will not allow this. Nor will they offer us a full refund. We are still willing to fly with them! They lose no money! Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

sheroman01 wrote: »
    We had to cancel our trip to Lisbon. Return flight is tomorrow. Want to change the date to June (that’s fine) but also want to change the origin from Lisbon>Dublin to Birmingham>Dublin. Aer Lingus will not allow this. Nor will they offer us a full refund. We are still willing to fly with them! They lose no money! Morons.

Why are they being so dumb? They are screwed finacially and if they don't allow you to reschedule they'll have to cancel and refund you surely?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Why are they being so dumb? They are screwed finacially and if they don't allow you to reschedule they'll have to cancel and refund you surely?

Ryanair have the same policy. You can reschedule from and to same destination only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Ryanair have the same policy. You can reschedule from and to same destination only.
    They just trying to get out of refunds. They will have to refund when they ground their fleet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭firemansam4

BanditLuke wrote:
    They just trying to get out of refunds. They will have to refund when they ground their fleet

I received email yesterday to reschedule if I wish without the charges. My flight is to Malaga on 5th April.
    I'm going to hold off now for a couple of weeks and hopi g I get a refund. It is over 1000 euros for me and right now could do with every penny I can get back.

I received email yesterday to reschedule if I wish without the charges. My flight is to Malaga on 5th April.
    I'm going to hold off now for a couple of weeks and hopi g I get a refund. It is over 1000 euros for me and right now could do with every penny I can get back.

Unless Ryanair go bust you'll get a refund. Its in their terms if they can't honour the flight they have to offer a full refund. This is just Ryanair attempting to mitigate loses to a minimum by hoping people will switch flights to later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

BanditLuke wrote:
    Unless Ryanair go bust you'll get a refund. Its in their terms if they can't honour the flight they have to offer a full refund. This is just Ryanair attempting to mitigate loses to a minimum by hoping people will switch flights to later in the year.

Can't blame them in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭firemansam4

BanditLuke wrote:

Yea that's my thinking, rescheduling really isn't an option for me anyway.
    I think Ryanair should be OK, they have massive backup funds for scenarios like this, a lot of other airlines will be in a lot more trouble I think

• Advertisement

Ironicname wrote: »
    Can't blame them in fairness.

I don't its just business. I'll be waiting for my refunds and I'm not worried in the slightest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement