Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dublindcdyds

Your given an order of merit for this particular position based on your interview. Then the waiting game until they reach that number.
    They'll ring you and ask if your still interested and send out the vetting forms, this took about 5 days for me. They also send out reference forms, asking for further confirmation of your id and a health declaration.

Once the vetting comes back, they advise your application is with hr strategy and they request to contact your current employer for a reference.

Each stage roughly took 1-2 weeks.

Roughly from the point of interview to the job offer, it was 2 months and then my notice period.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RemzRoller

Your given an order of merit for this particular position based on your interview. Then the waiting game until they reach that number.
    They'll ring you and ask if your still interested and send out the vetting forms, this took about 5 days for me. They also send out reference forms, asking for further confirmation of your id and a health declaration.

Once the vetting comes back, they advise your application is with hr strategy and they request to contact your current employer for a reference.

Roughly from the point of interview to the job offer, it was 2 months and then my notice period.

What number were you placed after your interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

I had interview 12th august got word next day I was placed in batch 7 and haven't heard a thing since !!!!

I was in the top 20

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RemzRoller

L390 wrote: »
    I had interview 12th august got word next day I was placed in batch 7 and haven't heard a thing since !!!!

Seems strange I would have thought you would have heard by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

What happens if you've been self employed for a good number of years ? Do they take character references instead ?

I'd say they would have to accommodate those factors. I think i might have read it somewhere that they allow this for your second reference.
    Only sure way to know is to ask when the time comes.

BB2020 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am lokking for some advice if i may
    I am stating in dublin port at the end of the month and was just wondering if anyone on here has experience of working down there some of the work is outside .
    Are you provided with a uniform or work boots for this role and in general what would be the dress code for a clerical officer sorry if it seems a stupid question but its hardly a full suit & tie number ?
    Thanks in advance

I read in the information booklet they provide you with a uniform. But for the training I imagine you'll be wearing your own clothes. Having worked in the civil service before the dress code is quite relaxed. I'd go for smart casual, slacks, jumper etc.

Can I ask you when you interviewed for the role? I have one coming up in October. How was the interview, do you have any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭abbeybella

Any idea what OOM they have reached in Dublin and if called for interview is it a zoom call? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

abbeybella wrote: »
    Any idea what OOM they have reached in Dublin and if called for interview is it a zoom call? thanks

Not sure what OOM they reached but interviews are still Zoom call as of last Friday anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 BB2020

Hi
    I interviewed in august via zoom 2 main interviewers and a note taker in the back round i found it good 30 min mainly focuses on your application form they look for examples of when you solved a problem when you contributed to a team effort etc and a few questions relating to the information booklet overall very positive two really nice interviewers study your app form amd the booklet be yourself and you will be fine best of luck

Hi
    I interviewed in august via zoom 2 main interviewers and a note taker in the back round i found it good 30 min mainly focuses on your application form they look for examples of when you solved a problem when you contributed to a team effort etc and a few questions relating to the information booklet overall very positive two really nice interviewers study your app form amd the booklet be yourself and you will be fine best of luck

Have you been placed yet ..I had interview in august too

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

Hi all
    I am lokking for some advice if i may
    I am stating in dublin port at the end of the month and was just wondering if anyone on here has experience of working down there some of the work is outside .
    Are you provided with a uniform or work boots for this role and in general what would be the dress code for a clerical officer sorry if it seems a stupid question but its hardly a full suit & tie number ?
    Thanks in advance

Are you in Terminal 9 or Terminal 10?

T10

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lass1

Hi I emailed PAS to find out which number they had got to in Dublin it’s number 423 as of last Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chaikhosi

Just got the email today about customs officer jobs, and think I'll go for it. My ranking is 1608 in Dublin so I won't get called for an ordinary job any time soon. But the customs route gets you hired faster afaik?

chaikhosi wrote: »
    Just got the email today about customs officer jobs, and think I'll go for it. My ranking is 1608 in Dublin so I won't get called for an ordinary job any time soon. But the customs route gets you hired faster afaik?

At the moment it could be a more stream lined route then another post.

From what I've read with Brexit at the end of December and a new database system being introduced in November, they could want people in and trained soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

lass1 wrote: »
    Hi I emailed PAS to find out which number they had got to in Dublin it’s number 423 as of last Thursday

Dublin is progressing nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Blanchguy wrote: »
    Jeans/slacks and a polo shirt would make you a well dressed CO. Things to avoid would be football tops etc.

I've worked in three government offices in my time and sports jerseys is very common if you're not dealing with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carolluke1

yenom wrote: »
    I've worked in three government offices in my time and sports jerseys is very common if you're not dealing with the public.

Anything goes, when you are not dealing directly with customer!

• Advertisement

Just talking to a soon to retire lady who works in social welfare ..she said they are currently taking on 600 TEMPORARY clerical officers ...what's that all about when there are hundreds on this panel...

It could be that they foresee social welfare offices being a hot spot for the forthcoming months with covid requests and inquiries but don't see it necessary to have this amount of staff long term once winter is over and hopefully the peak of the pandemic wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Garzard

chaikhosi wrote: »

Got that email as well yesterday, and it looks decent. Followed up by emailing back and expressing my interest, but I suspect everyone currently on the Dublin / Wicklow / Wexford panel will also be jumping at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Just talking to a soon to retire lady who works in social welfare ..she said they are currently taking on 600 TEMPORARY clerical officers ...what's that all about when there are hundreds on this panel...

I think that will dash alot of people's hope especially in the smaller l, less staffed counties but it makes sense on a business level.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Hi all, just wondering if the emails for expressing interest in the Customs positions only went out to Dublin applicants? Or have other counties been offered it?
    Thanks.

I think that will dash alot of people's hope especially in the smaller l, less staffed counties but it makes sense on a business level.

Not really as the dublin panel seems to be moving quite quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Not really as the dublin panel seems to be moving quite quickly

"Smaller, less staffed counties" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Any updates on Kildare? I guess still very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 murphy15

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Any updates on Kildare? I guess still very slow.

i heard today its only at number 24 and I work with someone who was top ten and internal staff, hasn't got a start date yet

• Advertisement

finla wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if the emails for expressing interest in the Customs positions only went out to Dublin applicants? Or have other counties been offered it?
    Thanks.

I think it was just Dublin. I was Dublin and got sent the email and it seems to be the case with the others posting on this thread.

Advertisement