Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭jt69er

muffler wrote: »
    The Independent article

Personally I think the guy was probably being less than truthful.

Story is he knew of the positive result on Friday and was told to self isolate but carried on as normal. His wife also refused to restrict her movements and went to work the following Monday....she's a Teacher. Not the most popular members of their local community by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So it's nearly time......see ye all in a few weeks!

Just read a stat on the BBC website that a third of all positive tests in the Derry and Strabane council area have happened in the last 7 days.

Shocking.

Is it linked to opening of the wet pubs?

I'd love to see the official figures of how much they think each side of the border is affecting the other.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just read a stat on the BBC website that a third of all positive tests in the Derry and Strabane council area have happened in the last 7 days.

Shocking.

I'd love to see the official figures of how much they think each side of the border is affecting the other.

Pubs in the North have been open all along, have they not?

EDIT: Nope, looked it up and they only allowed them reopen this week. Don't think we'd be seeing the results of that for another week or more.

Pubs in the North have been open all along, have they not?

Not that I'm aware of.
    Only if they served food I think. I know some of the popular ones in Derry were serving a bowl of stew to get opened.

A very popular spot Sandinos only opened a couple of weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What time is the protest on today?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,878 ✭✭✭✭muffler

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What time is the protest on today?
    It won't be advertised here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I'm all for abiding a few idiots now and then, can add a bit of colour to proceedings and life sometimes.

But please, not in the middle of a pandemic, where your actions could literally be a matter of life and death.

Well said

It won't be advertised here.

Sorry, I was curious what time we might hear about numbers that turned up.
    I had worded it as "idiot show" instead of "protest" but thought I would change it.
    I was wondering how they'll manage since controversial protests usually have people wearing face coverings. Those people will have to resist that urge. :)

• Advertisement

Sorry, I was curious what time we might hear about numbers that turned up.
    No bother. I was just making a general comment :)

I had worded it as "idiot show" instead of "protest" but thought I would change it.
    Should have left it like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Busloads coming in from Derry for the protest apparently the stupidity is high today.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Its awful, LK will be full of these bellends today and will probably have an increase in cases because of it.

I've been wondering the same thing.

Reason being, every case in my area that I'm aware of either worked in hospitality, or travel. The vast majority were in hospitality, though NOT wet pubs.
    Deliberately being vague - I really don't want to point fingers at anyone, they've troubles enough with Covid-19.

But, it seems to me that if people can pass Covid-19 on by being in "close proximity" for 15 minutes - then how is it possible that clusters wouldn't arise in pubs, hotels, and restaurants? Or, for that matter, anywhere people gather?

That being the case, and in the absence of a tracing regime that can go beyond the previous 2 days, and do it very, very, quickly - how on earth are we meant to really get Covid-19 under control?

If you think about the contact with 1 other household - I get to choose which of my daughters living locally I'm allowed to see - but if I choose the one whose partner works in hospitality, I'm also accepting the risk his employment brings to her.

I could choose the daughter with a child at school - but since we are not being provided with up to date information about local outbreaks - how am I meant to judge the risk there?

Or, I could choose a 3rd daughter - except her work involves her being in close contact with up to 70 people a day....

Or, we could all meet up outside the pub, anyway...

It seems to me that if even half the rumours I'm hearing are true, certain businesses are flouting the rules. I can't check for myself, because I can't take the risk of going there, even if I wanted to.

I can say with certainty that my daughter dodged a bullet recently by refusing an invitation to an establishment where the owner was tested the following day - and tested positive.

I honestly think that we really need more comprehensive, and faster tracing, together with a LOT more bed capacity in hospitals.

Because, no matter how careful anyone is, all it takes is one contact, through no fault of their own, and corona can spread, with the best will in the world.

I said earlier in the thread that Donegal was always going to be high risk.
    We have a lot of people working, and attending college, outside the County.

We have an open border with Northern Ireland, with the risks inherent from two different health care regimes, and we had a bumper tourist season for about 6 weeks.

The only thing that's changed is that the tourist season is over - and we have our own rapid spread of the virus.

As long as we have people moving in and out of the County, even if we bring this outbreak under control, we will remain at high risk in the absence of another full lockdown - which we cannot do.

Methinks we need a miracle.

Its awful, LK will be full of these bellends today and will probably have an increase in cases because of it.

Aye. They'd be better off ring their local TD/MP, and suggesting something useful - if any of them had the intelligence to think of something useful, that is...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

I'm all for freedom of expression but with our current cases its the wrong time for it, if they want to be dickheads have at it but not not right now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Several Doengal doctors on the news last night, saying the same thing as the NPHET and government people have been saying all week. The vast majority of cases in Donegal are coming from gatherings in homes. They said it's technically a good thing because it means people aren't picking it up randomly while out and about.

Leaving Cert results parties was one of the ones listed, which is about 3 weeks ago now, and given everything happens 2 weeks later, and the majority of cases are in the 15-24 age group, that could explain the explosion in cases.

As far as hospitality goes, we wouldn't be seeing the results of pubs reopening yet, and I don't think there's been any outbreaks linked to restaurants or hotels. Burrito Loco had a handful of staff and then a Glenties hotel had a handful, but bar those I don't think any pub/restaurant has been "responsible" for the spread.

37 new cases reported for Donegal today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Shocking.

It is too soon to see the impact of the opening of wet pubs but throughout August every premises serving food in NI could offer half price meals midweek up to a maximum of £10 a person off. The ‘eat out to help out’ initiative was very popular and many people crossed the border to enjoy cheap food but the pubs and restaurants were often very busy with little social distancing and no contact details collected.

The timing of this increase in cases on both sides of the border could be linked to this, along with many other factors. I don’t think anybody is collecting the data to show links between outbreaks in different areas. There is so much movement in both directions it would be difficult to pinpoint. A one island approach would have been best from the start and is still the best chance we have of getting control in border areas.

Yip you could be right.

The incentives put in place to get us out spending money might well have advocated to the rise in numbers. Although from anyone I spoke to who availed of it said the restaurants all took plenty of precautions. And to he fair the medical people aren't telling us this is where the clusters were formed.

• Advertisement

Interesting headline story in today's Independent ....
    Unfortunately its a premium story so cant be read in it's entirety for now anyhow.

Im aware of all 3 events and combined they would have accounted for a substantial amount of those who tested positive in East Donegal in recent days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Unfortunately its a premium story so cant be read in it's entirety for now anyhow.

Im aware of all 3 events and combined they would have accounted for a substantial amount of those who tested positive in East Donegal in recent days
    Cases rising in inishowen also. Several businesses affected.

Yip you could be right.

The incentives put in place to get us out spending money might well have advocated to the rise in numbers. Although from anyone I spoke to who availed of it said the restaurants all took plenty of precautions. And to he fair the medical people aren't telling us this is where the clusters were formed.

Its far too soon to make any definite links yet - but I will say, in one village, the hotel, a pub, and a beauty salon have all had positive cases among staff in the last week. A restaurant closed voluntarily because a customer tested positive.
    Which is why I'm wondering whether two and two make four, or whether there's something else going on.

Another week or 10 days should tell a more definite story about whether more cases test positive. And then we'll have a pretty fair idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

There's one month free in the offers section of revolut at the minute
    I signed up straight from the offer link in the app,you can cancel on day 30
    Jesus its an awful paper
    Full of ads,worse than sky news but free's free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Several Doengal doctors on the news last night, saying the same thing as the NPHET and government people have been saying all week. The vast majority of cases in Donegal are coming from gatherings in homes. They said it's technically a good thing because it means people aren't picking it up randomly while out and about.

Leaving Cert results parties was one of the ones listed, which is about 3 weeks ago now, and given everything happens 2 weeks later, and the majority of cases are in the 15-24 age group, that could explain the explosion in cases.

As far as hospitality goes, we wouldn't be seeing the results of pubs reopening yet, and I don't think there's been any outbreaks linked to restaurants or hotels. Burrito Loco had a handful of staff and then a Glenties hotel had a handful, but bar those I don't think any pub/restaurant has been "responsible" for the spread.
    Leaving Cert Parties! You would swear they sat an exam and earned their results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Gatherings in homes are one thing but someone needs to have it first that goes into that home bringing it in there
    AND they didn't pick it up in the home
    Remember that
    You CAN drop the virus back to where we were by keeping a 2m distance from non household and washing your hands because the virus needs p2p transfer

The whole idea of masks is if everyone wears one indoors people who don't know they're asymptomatic won't accidentally spread it
    Do all 3 and we are out of this problem
    Reservoirs of virus will just die in 3 weeks if it is DEPRIVED of an opportunity to hop easily to the next person
    Best of luck everyone, spread that word and this won't go on forever
    We all need to be this vigilant until the spring when some vaccination effects will be kicking in hopefully
    It won't be easy but it will shorten this

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cabletiesfix

How are GAA matches still going ahead in the county? Intermediate Gaa is hardly elite level sport. Like convoy and letterkenny playing today Is that not crazy?

How are GAA matches still going ahead in the county? Intermediate Gaa is hardly elite level sport. Like convoy and letterkenny playing today Is that not crazy?
    Club championship games are permitted behind closed doors - see the level 3 document

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Sometimes I wonder what is actually going on. Are we serious about tackling this and protecting people, or does self-interest always prevail, even in a pandemic. I'm talking about political and business interests, and unfortunately as evidenced by some of the recent shenanigans, personal self-interest.

I know we can't go all out "China" on this, but to me government has been weak.

• Advertisement

Cases rising in inishowen also. Several businesses affected.

I have heard Moville, Buncrana and Redcastle mentioned.:(

Advertisement