Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Increase again today, up by thirty, first behind Dublin. Expect news for us in the briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I definitely think we are going to move up a level possibly from Friday night. The first communion which was planned for Saturday in Stranorlar has been brought forward to tomorrow evening. Parents received texts on Monday advising them to be prepared for a possible change of date but today they were officially notified of the change. Short notice but could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Increase again today, up by thirty, first behind Dublin. Expect news for us in the briefing.

It's starting to take off. Lots of dumbf##ks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭malinheader

In my honest opinion I don't think level 3 will make much of a difference the way things are going.
    Some people will still do there own thing no matter what,

It's starting to take off. Lots of dumbf##ks.
    Seems some people just do not care. Large outbreak in Lifford due to travel to Dublin and then back to a house party.

IMO have warned that "young people in Donegal are playing Russian Roulette with Covid-19".

• Advertisement

Seems some people just do not care. Large outbreak in Lifford due to travel to Dublin and then back to a house party.

IMO have warned that "young people in Donegal are playing Russian Roulette with Covid-19".

I can't say that some young people are not disregarding the advice - but I think ignoring the fact that there have been a number of cases in hotels, restaurants, and other places of business is very, very disingenuous.

The Country opened up, and like a lot of other Countries, the virus multiplied.
    But we in Donegal are meant to believe that our cases are all caused by recklessness in our youth?

Just because the stats say a certain age group have a higher incidence of infection does NOT mean that all of that age group are responsible.
    Younger people are more likely not to have progressed enough in their careers to be able to work from home. They're also more likely to be working minimum wage jobs in hospitality.

Certainly the people I know who are infected almost undoubtedly got it at work - and some of them are young.
    To blame young people solely for the spread of the virus will not encourage them to comply with restrictions.

Quite the opposite. Those that did comply are likely to be angry enough to react to being wrongly accused - and rebel.

Not to mention, if everyone is busy being angry at young people, they're less likely to analyse the effectiveness of the Government, the HSE, and NPHET...

I can't say that some young people are not disregarding the advice - but I think ignoring the fact that there have been a number of cases in hotels, restaurants, and other places of business is very, very disingenuous.

The Country opened up, and like a lot of other Countries, the virus multiplied.
    But we in Donegal are meant to believe that our cases are all caused by recklessness in our youth?

Just because the stats say a certain age group have a higher incidence of infection does NOT mean that all of that age group are responsible.
    Younger people are more likely not to have progressed enough in their careers to be able to work from home. They're also more likely to be working minimum wage jobs in hospitality.

Certainly the people I know who are infected almost undoubtedly got it at work - and some of them are young.
    To blame young people solely for the spread of the virus will not encourage them to comply with restrictions.

Quite the opposite. Those that did comply are likely to be angry enough to react to being wrongly accused - and rebel.

Not to mention, if everyone is busy being angry at young people, they're less likely to analyse the effectiveness of the Government, the HSE, and NPHET...
    I wasn't saying that young people are soley responsible for the large numbers in Donegal, but commenting on one of a number of reasons and on one particular cluster, and referencing the IMO opinion on this.

This wasn't a work related outbreak. A person travelled to Dublin, the area of Ireland with the largest outbreak of the virus, travelled back to Donegal infected, attended a house party, infected 8 others who in turn infected their households.

That's what happened in this case. Social activity, not work activity, when we have been asked to limit social activity. Previously in this thread I have referred to clusters where it was work related (factory in Dungloe). Others have pointed to our proximity to Northern Ireland as another possible reason for the large Donegal numbers.

So, I was wondering why the large numbers in Donegal and this thread and other sources suggest:

not limiting social activity
    work related activity
    proximty to Northern Ireland

as some of the main reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,275 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This wasn't a work related outbreak. A person travelled to Dublin, the area of Ireland with the largest outbreak of the virus, travelled back to Donegal infected, attended a house party, infected 8 others who in turn infected their households.

Just goes to show that it can be a small number of stupid people who are ruining it for an entire population.

Vast majority of Donegal residents are behaving themselves. But the maths shows it only takes a few people misbehaving to make things go out of control.

And have the CMO talking about the county as a whole in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So who's organising the lockdown rave this weekend? I have the Jive Bunny Megamix ready to go.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So who's organising the lockdown rave this weekend? I have the Jive Bunny Megamix ready to go.
    You can have it in my hay shed if you like.

As long as you don't mind a time-lock on the doors set for 14 days.

• Advertisement

You can have it in my hay shed if you like.

As long as you don't mind a time-lock on the doors set for 14 days.

Sounds like the plot of a horror film you'd see on the Horror Channel.

"4 friends attend a rave at a barn only to find themselves locked in with a deadly disease spreading"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Level 3 from tonight according to Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It was inevitable.

I saw numerous examples today of total lack of adherence to the rules.

I saw about 50 or 60 students from the local college all out and about during their dinner break. Not one wore a mask. And all in tight groups, zero social distancing. Many of the young lads carrying on, jumping on each other. I appreciate They have to wear masks in school and probably don't want to wear them when outside, but their behaviours were simply ideal breeding ground for the virus.

And also seen plenty of older folk standing chatting outside supermarkets with inches between them. Again no masks.

If I saw this in a 10min visit to town, it shows it is probably happening all the time. We have no-one to blame but ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

God Damn Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

42 cases in tonight's figures :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Lockdown from midnight tonight, for 3x weeks

And when it happens you'll still see the ignorant ignoring restrictions while businesses that have been adhering to the rules have to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

So are pubs that serve food allow to continue serving indoors, with so-called wet pubs outdoor only?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭Nollog

sp00k wrote: »
    So are pubs that serve food allow to continue serving indoors, with so-called wet pubs outdoor only?

If they serve food they're "dry"

• Advertisement

sp00k wrote: »

The inconsistency in the response plan is mind boggling . Saw the police going from door to door of the pubs in this part of Donegal. Saw lots of people spilling out. These level responses are a mixture of politics and medicine. It will take more than waffle to stop the high incidence of this outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Technique

NIMAN wrote: »

Why hit rural areas behaving themselves cos Letterkenny isn't?
    It was inevitable.

I saw numerous examples today of total lack of adherence to the rules.

I saw about 50 or 60 students from the local college all out and about during their dinner break. Not one wore a mask. And all in tight groups, zero social distancing. Many of the young lads carrying on, jumping on each other. I appreciate They have to wear masks in school and probably don't want to wear them when outside, but their behaviours were simply ideal breeding ground for the virus.

And also seen plenty of older folk standing chatting outside supermarkets with inches between them. Again no masks.

If I saw this in a 10min visit to town, it shows it is probably happening all the time. We have no-one to blame but ourselves.

So it's not just Letterkenny people who can't behave themselves?

Technique wrote: »

So it's not just Letterkenny people who can't behave themselves?

It's not, it appears. But when I typed that Letterkenny had made the 6 o clock news regarding an outbreak.

The figure per 100000 for Lifford Stranorlar is approx 300....ridiculous.

It's not the government's fault, it's the people's.

It's not, it appears. But when I typed that Letterkenny had made the 6 o clock news regarding an outbreak.

The figure per 100000 for Lifford Stranorlar is approx 300....ridiculous.

It's not the government's fault, it's the people's.

Absolutely the people's fault. The only people who keep the law are those who want to. But also don't ignore the shambles that test and tracing is. The easy part was locking everyone in his/her house. The deficiencies in the response and lack of planning are there to see. The public's behavior was and is predictable. Excuses can be made for covid fatigue etc. The reality is that the virus doesn't give a f***k.

So Stranorlar is 336!

And to beat the lockdown they are having their communions tonight instead of at the weekend...So they are going into panic mode to get them squeezed in....yeah that'll help the figures. No doubt they will have extended families back at homes for parties afterwards.

I know that Fahan's figures seemed high previously due to the nursing home rather than the general area. Is the same happening in Stranorlar?

I wasn't saying that young people are soley responsible for the large numbers in Donegal, but commenting on one of a number of reasons and on one particular cluster, and referencing the IMO opinion on this.

That's what happened in this case. Social activity, not work activity, when we have been asked to limit social activity. Previously in this thread I have referred to clusters where it was work related (factory in Dungloe). Others have pointed to our proximity to Northern Ireland as another possible reason for the large Donegal numbers.

So, I was wondering why the large numbers in Donegal and this thread and other sources suggest:

not limiting social activity
    work related activity
    proximty to Northern Ireland

as some of the main reasons.

Sorry, Heighway61.
    I replied to your post on my phone, after reading several articles by NPHET and various experts, all blatantly pointing the finger at young people in Donegal (some of whom are really irresponsible, in fairness) - and I didn't make it clear that it was the "experts" accusations that I was referring to, not your comments.

Message to self: Don't respond to someone on Boards when you're really annoyed with someone else, unless you're going to make it clear who you're annoyed with...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭Nollog

Technique wrote: »
    I know that Fahan's figures seemed high previously due to the nursing home rather than the general area. Is the same happening in Stranorlar?

Being mainly 15-24 year olds, probably not.

/\/ollog wrote: »

Ok, didn't know that was the age group affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

/\/ollog wrote:

Was that not the age across the country?

Advertisement